• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
For you importers, where does DQXI rank compared to previous titles? Is it the big leap that DQVIII was at the time?

High hopes on this one. I really need to finish Builders, VII and V....maybe in that order.
Top 3 in the series for me. Not sure where exactly but my other faves are 7 and 4.
It's definitely a leap forward and as a traditional JRPG it's transitioned very well to HD consoles but it's not as big of a leap as 7->8 imo.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news about getting released on Steam, but what's going on with the Switch version I wonder. Think some folk were even hoping it would be released in the West along with the PS4 version.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Yay! We finally got a date for Dragon Quest XI! No 3DS version though. :(

Hm. I really thought Square-Enix would have waited until E3 to announce this.

• Draconian Quest, a hard mode that offers additional challenges for more experienced players.

I really hope this is available from the beginning.

No collector's edition? :(

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
My decision to import the 3DS and bungle my way through it appears to have been the right move as I wasn't expecting a western release (though I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo announces it on their own at some point). Now it'll be like I'm getting a full HD remake of a game I just played a year ago.

No orchestrated soundtrack is disappointing but I'm glad that voice acting is in and that in general it seems like they're actually bothering to polish the game up a bit for the western release.

Now please advertize this game. Spend marketing dollars. A lot of them. PLEASE.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sooo good! I wish we'd get the 3DS one too, but I can't say I had much hope for that one. Still though, very excited for this.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping that it's easy to mod the PC version with tracks from the orchestrated soundtrack!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Who wants to bet the Switch version will be its own game like the 3DS and PS4 versions were "different" games too?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
B5DXMyc.gif

So you don't release the version for the system where the fanbase was growing?

Sometimes companies are better off saying nothing at all if logic isn't their strong point.

This is the same logic that people used for "Monster Hunter won't grow on consoles."

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No 3DS version is complete nonsense but maybe they're waiting to release it alongside the Switch version?

Sucks that the Switch version doesn't seem to be on the radar. Doesn't matter much to me personally, as I'll obviously get anything multiplatform on the more powerful console.

Mar 23, 2018
AAAAAAAAAAAAAH! PC?! I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS! SO AWESOME! This gives me hope for more japanese franchises to come to PC now that one of the golden standards is finally releasing on PC! so awesome my duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes!

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are having technical problems with porting the game to Switch. I mean port shouldn't take this ridiculously long time. it was like first games announced to the system.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
No orchestral soundtrack is a huge dissapointment. Still excited as hell though. Day 1 for PS4.

Is there an orchestral arrangement like the previous games where you could conceivably mod the entire soundtrack?

Might actually get this on PC if that's the case.
I think that it recently came out in Japan, though I can't imagine that they loop properly for them to have a seamless solution without lots and lots of tinkering.

Bold release strategy, to say the least.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I know the 3DS version coming was a long shot, but I am still sad to see it confirmed not coming. I will wait for the Switch version for my portable Dragon Quest goodness.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Oh yeah, baby! Day one on PS4.

The last DQ I played was 8 on PS2. That soundtrack is still burned in my mind!

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to finally have a date. I'll be there on day one. Haven't been this hyped for a DQ game since 8 tbh.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Good news, despite no Switch version yet, but that was to be expected.
Still, DQ has pretty much always been a handheld series for me, I don't really want to play it on my tv. Oh well, first world problems, the PS4 version will have to do.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Switch owner here.

This "grow audience in the west" is bullshit, because they aren't doing a global release and they aren't putting in the Xbox One.

Also, a two-year late port is a receipt for a disaster. They should just cancel the Switch version.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect it to see an international release, but it's nevertheless really disappointing the 3DS version apparently isn't coming over. Really liked the looks of that one.

At this point I'm not sure if the Switch version is going to happen anymore either. We're approaching the first anniversary of DQXI and yet the port is nowhere to be seen, even in Japan. "Much later" doesn't give off the impression that this is going to change anytime soon either.

Anyway, gonna pick up the PS4 version and it's nice to see they're expanding DQ to Steam as well.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
No new music, huh.

The worst part is, it feels like the problem isn't even the fact that it's synthesizer music. I'm pretty sure most games use synthesizer music, not live, orchestrated music. It's just the instruments are either poor in quality or poorly suited for whatever the composer is doing.

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Quick! Everyone assault Square Enix with music complaints!

DQXI music sounds awful. There is an orchestral OST out there also... might have to go custom with it. PC might end up definitive edition then.