• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Nostalgia sells so you need to cater that part of DQ fans with something plus Switch is way more powerful than 3DS it won't look like a PS2 game lol
If they port over the 3DS version, that's exactly what it would look like. They'd need to make their own separate version just for the Switch to avoid that being the case and bringing it over in Unreal Engine 4 would just be unnecessary extra work to boot, which is why I'm betting on it being in line with the PS4 version. It's far more likely. That and nostalgia can't do much if your franchise was never huge to begin with in the West

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
He didn't confirm what you wrote.

He only said they are building the Switch version in UE4... it can be based on 3DS version.
He said it was being built in UE4.15, while the PS4 original was UE4.13. I mean come on, how divorced from logic and reason would you have to be to argue that means they might still be porting the 3DS version.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Now I'm imagining the 3DS game, but the 3D half could be totally redone to look more like Octopath Traveler...

That would be really dope. It'd also make me rebut the game.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Source? There is no confirmation at all.

I'm pretty sure the 2D graphics were developed to play in handheld which fits Switch... so the 2D/3D engines of 3DS was created for Switch.

Yes I strong believe Switch will get the version that you can switch between 3D and 2D on the fly (aka 3DS version).
DQXI's technical director Mitsuru Kamiyama and producer Hokuto Okamoto said that the team ran into trouble for about a month because PS4 version was built using UE4 ver.4.13 but Switch is only compatible with UE4 ver.4.15 onwards. While this isn't a confirmation, it strongly suggests that Switch version will be based on PS4 version instead of 3DS version.
https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2017/10/12/110239.html
紙山氏によれば、Unreal Engine 4がSwitchに対応したのがVer.4.15からであるのに対し、PS4版はVer.4.13で制作されているとのこと。さらに岡本氏によると「バージョンがひとつ上がると、なんだかんだで一ヶ月くらいはトラブルが出ます」とのことで、

Nov 15, 2017
The UE version used didn't means it is based in PS4 version.

You guys take "confirmations" from where there is none.

What? It was brought up in the context of the PS4 using 4.13 which isn't officially supported by the Switch which is why the process isn't going as smooth as it could.

Why would that be relevant information at all if what they were doing was porting the 3DS version to Switch instead of porting the PS4 version? Answer: It wouldn't be

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they port over the 3DS version, that's exactly what it would look like. They'd need to make their own separate version just for the Switch to avoid that being the case and bringing it over in Unreal Engine 4 would just be unnecessary extra work to boot, which is why I'm betting on it being in line with the PS4 version. It's far more likely. That and nostalgia can't do much if your franchise was never huge to begin with in the West
I don't understand why people expect them to port an early PS2-looking game to Switch just because they skipped 3DS here. Switch version will most likely be the PS4 with visual compromises, either that or something relatively different that still resembles that version more.

The 3DS version is the way it is precisely because of the hardware it runs on, it'd make 0 sense to port it to Switch. It has two visual styles because that makes sense with a dual screen system, not just because.

I really, really wanted the 3DS version too but people are delusional lol.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Switch game will be something else. It'll be the PS4 game, but I feel like they'll do something else with it. It's a big, very pretty game, but they confirmed a Switch version before the Switch was even announced. I feel like if it was just the PS4 game fulglyified it would be done by now.
It'll be the PS4/Steam version plus Japanese VA, orchestrated soundtrack (at least for Japan) and maybe some extra story content and additional QOL improvements. But it'll be a little fuzzier and dialed back visually. Looking at DQVIII PS2 to 3DS probably gives us a good idea what to expect... in late 2019.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Why would they bother with such a massive undertaking when there's already a working UE4 version of the game?
Because the 3DS version is not coming to West and doing that you have double dips like happened in Japan.

In a business perspective the Switch version in West being unique do more to the game than being another PS4/Steam version.

The whole point of 3DS version not coming to West is based in the fact SE wants to sell use the Switch to replace the 3DS version here.

Switch being the same game than PS4/Steam while being portable is imo illogical.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Because the 3DS version is not coming to West and doing that you have double dips like happened in Japan.

In a business perspective the Switch version in West being unique do more to the game than being another PS4/Steam version.

The whole point of 3DS version not coming to West is based in the fact SE wants to sell use the Switch to replace the 3DS version here.

Switch being the same game than PS4/Steam while being portable is imo illogical.
Dragon Quest sells orders of magnitude more in Japan. If the point of the Switch version is purely double dippers, why would they port the version most people already bought?

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm glad they are bringing it over - but I'm going to hold out for the Switch version
Thought about doing that as well, but the PS4 version just looks too good to pass up on, plus, I want to support DQ in the west as much as possible. I'm ready to buy two copies of the 3DS version, a PS4 copy and one on Switch.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If it were only for SE we wouldnt have gotten anything on 3DS - hell even Bravely Default wasnt "good" enough to justify a western release for them. I still dont understand why people are caping for them when there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to their decision making. They are ready to burn endless amount of money on a bunch FFXV BS no one cares about but play hard to get when it comes to providing that one new main title on a system like the 3DS so many years in. Meanwhile niche publishers can still release even smaller RPGs on Vita or 3DS.

SE being a charity has nothing to do with it...unless you really think a localisation of DQXI could have such major negative impact on the companies bottom line.

As of now the 3DS still had a better 2017 than 2016 - there are still many 3DS system out there. Less releases means also that the couple releases will get more spotlight than they usually would. I dont understand why people are acting as if we are asking them to release a GBA or DS game in 2018.

At the end of the day its the same as always....unless Nintendo is involved SE doesnt give a damn about the audience on those systems in terms of DQ. Its a bummer but it is what it is.

This cannot be said enough. Well done.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
They could've realocated resources from the other versions to get all ready at the same time.
I agree actually. I'm getting it on PS4, but if the Switch game really is just the PS4 one, not launching at the same time seem like a really bad move to me.

Sure, they will get some double dippers, but not many. This is an eighty-ish hours long epic, not many people are going to be interested in replaying it within a long ass time of their first experience. If it's six months later, the amount of people who are going to be ready to re-up at that point? Not many at all I'd wager. So you're not gaining much for double dips, and you're losing the advantage of releasing within the main marketing campaign. Seems like really poor idea to me.

EDIT: Unless they don't give a shit and they've just sold the publishing rights in the West to Nintendo, then they don't have to worry about any of that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Most people didn't already buy a portable copy of the UE4 DQ.
Exactly.

Unless you imported nobody bought any version in the west.

That makes me think about the Switch version will be launch in Japan?
So you think they're making DQXI Switch... for the west? To replace the 3DS version they're skipping? But using the PS4/Steam engine and instead rebuilding the 3DS version from scratch in it?

Please, quit now while you're behind.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people expect them to port an early PS2-looking game to Switch just because they skipped 3DS here. Switch version will most likely be the PS4 with visual compromises, either that or something relatively different that still resembles that version more.

The 3DS version is the way it is precisely because of the hardware it runs on, it'd make 0 sense to port it to Switch. It has two visual styles because that makes sense with a dual screen system, not just because.

I really, really wanted the 3DS version too but people are delusional lol.
Well it's mainly just him who's expecting that. The fact that the Switch version will be in UE4 all but confirms that it'll be based off of the PS4 version, in some way or another

Yeah, which I found to be a good compromise of the system's hardware while still taking advantage of it in a way only the 3DS can. It's one big reason why I even want the 3DS version, a side from portable play

Ehh...I wouldn't say delusional but perhaps not thinking it all the way through

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be funny if they're waiting for 32 gig carts to get cheaper and it also includes the 3ds version on top of being a ps4 port.

Three distinct visual styles.

That might make people pick it up even while being very late.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the only chance we have of getting the 3DS version is if (1) Nintendo rescues it or (2) the inevitable mobile release is a conversion of it.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the only chance we have of getting the 3DS version is if (1) Nintendo rescues it or (2) the inevitable mobile release is a conversion of it.

I can see them releasing the 3DS version on phones. I don't really mind buying it again. I just want some form of the 3DS version to be released anytime in the future.

I already bought this game 3 times already so I don't mind buying a few more times because DQ is special to me.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yes! Can't wait to dive in. Would have preferred if it came out on Switch too, but I can't wait around for that to hopefully happen.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
So will DQ XI have a similar postgame quest to DQ VIII's postgame? That really enhanced the story for me and added to it as well.

Oct 25, 2017
So is there still a chance Nintendo will want to do the 3DS version? Or is that off the table because of the PS4/PC versions also releasing.

Don't get me wrong I'm day 1 on PS4 regardless. I just would love to have both versions (and to have 4-9 and 11 playable on the same system!)

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the 3DS was almost the ultimate Dragon Quest machine with you being able to play all solo DQ games from 4 to 11 in localized versions, but that didn't happen due to business decisions.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Well, yes, but it's also the system that made the most sense to release those games on back in the day.
Yeah, point I'm trying to make is that these companies aren't some kind of charity. People lose their wits when a game doesn't release on the system they like. I'm sure SE actually wants the game on Switch with how successful it is. 3DS just makes less sense right now.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
They could've realocated resources from the other versions to get all ready at the same time.
Relocate resources from the other versions? Porting UE4 games to PC is the easiest port job possible, and the PS4 version came out last year, most of the people working on these versions are a localisation team! What would some translators, editors and VA people contribute to porting the game to the Switch, lol?!

Last edited: