• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
If you care about image quality, definitely get the PC version. The Switch version is a great port and looks great in handheld mode or a smaller TV/monitor, but anything bigger and it is quite blurry. There's other graphical improvements on PC beyond the resolution increase such as a much further draw distance which can be changed to be even further with a simple .ini change and, as you mentioned, higher framerate. As nice as the additions to Switch are the original DQXI isn't suddenly bad because it doesn't have that additional content. I personally can't put the additions over the increased image quality of the PC version at a higher resolution, max settings, and the expanded draw distance with the .ini mod. It helps that the biggest addition to the Switch version, the Orchestrated Soundtrack, exists for the PC version as a mod.

It looked really really bad on my 55". Cutscenes were okay, but turn the camera towards the main character's face during gameplay and it's a jagged/blurry mess. NPCs also became super blurry if you walk more than 5 feet away from them, but yeah it was fine on handheld mode.

I would've gotten it for Switch if I was planning on playing on the go most of the time.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game does look better a bit for the switch if you have one of those Mcables for your tv.( but that's an expensive purchase not for the normal consumer)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I do own a Switch and technically could buy and play through it again but it was such a disappointing game for me - a solid 7/10 but no more - that I can't imagine myself ever wanting to really.
But in this case you don't really want more content as you don't like the base game. I can relate to this, I didn't like the PC version that much and no retro mode or expanded character plot will change that the base is quite bland and boring.

Thing is, if you love a game, you'll be happily play the improved version later as it may be more appealing to you than trying a new one, but there's no way a better version is ruining your enjoyment of the game, or it shouldn't be.

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry OP but you don't make much sense, especially here:

Exclusive games have never bothered me. It's how a brand sell their console. I don't care that Microsoft bought the full exclusivity for "X" game. However, time-exclusivity is stupid! But having a completely enchanted version exclusive to just one console, it's the worst possible thing ever! This is just toxic!

Worse of all, it's the simpler version! It's like in the SNES era, you had the best version with the most content on gameboy! You want to get the full experience in those shiny 16Bit graphics, but you have to play the black-and-white, 8bit, horrible-looking gameboy version! It sucks!

Now, I know with the Switch version, it's not as bad as SNES-GB comparison, but still! Every single console should get every single content! That applies for EVERY SINGLE GAME! If you want to have content on just ONE console, then just make it exclusive to that console! Don't sell crippled versions at full price to consumers!

This just sounds ridiculous.

Also, we knew the Switch version would be a late release. It was pretty easy to guess that a late release would get more content so you had to choose between waiting for it or play the PS4/PC release.

Sorry for ranting, but I just ordered the Switch version and wanted to vent it out.

So you're ranting after buying the damn game on Switch... LMAO

Dragon Quest should never be treated this way again! It's an awesome franchise, it's gaining popularity in the west

What makes you think that ? :D

If anything, DQ is either less popular or as popular as it's ever been in the West. It'll never be up there with FF outside Japan (stop dreaming :P ) and that's perfectly ok.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
720p (Switch) to 900p (PS4) isn't exactly a huge resolution gulf. It's always weird to me to see PS4 put more on level with PC or something when it reality it's far closer to the Switch release in IQ and performance (both also only 30fps).
It's weird cause everybody doesn't have a PC. I don't game on PC. PC means nothing to me. And if I don't have too, I'm not playing anything in 720p. I'll maybe play the Switch version next year or a couple years from now but I'm straight with getting through the PS4 version. It's not a huge gulf but it's way better than 720pšŸ˜…

edit: I'm playing on ps4 pro had to check cause it looks better than 900p to me.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird cause everybody doesn't have a PC. I don't game on PC. PC means nothing to me. And if I don't have too, I'm not playing anything in 720p. I'll maybe play the Switch version next year or a couple years from now but I'm straight with getting through the PS4 version. It's not a huge gulf but it's way better than 720pšŸ˜…
I mean, that's fine. It's just not that major a tradeoff visually between PS4/Switch for resolution specifically. PC/Switch, or also PC/PS4 really, are much bigger tradeoffs visually.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
But in this case you don't really want more content as you don't like the base game. I can relate to this, I didn't like the PC version that much and no retro mode or expanded character plot will change that the base is quite bland and boring.

Thing is, if you love a game, you'll be happily play the improved version later as it may be more appealing to you than trying a new one, but there's no way a better version is ruining your enjoyment of the game, or it shouldn't be.

True. I guess I just wish I had the chance to play the improved version right off the bat as in my mind I might've had a better time with it possibly. But you're right if the base is bland and boring then I guess the improvements made won't do anything to change that.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I would kill everyone in this thread for a Japanese VO for PS4.
My god the English one is horrible...

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
It should be standard to, at bare minimum, sell the updates to previous owners on other consoles.

Ideally a free update would be in order, but alas the world is not so kind. Instead we get nothing.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only ugh voice in the game was probably the childhood friend. But with the other sentiments, the voicing was the best SE has done in a while for one of their main titles.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I'm okay with not getting the new content on PS4. I just think it's shitty to not bring in the QoL changes.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if the content came to other platforms, I got both versions and decided to play through the PS4 version, just got to the post game and have had a blast with the game.

Hopefully Dragon Quest 12 will be available day and date across all platforms and any updates will be available for all. 3rd party exclusives need to die.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I hope 3rd party exclusives content continues. Especially when the platform gets it later than the original game.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I hope 3rd party exclusives content continues. Especially when the platform gets it later than the original game.

This. It was done long ago as far back as the PS1/Saturn/N64 era, I think.

Was it a problem when the PS2 versions of games such as Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 & Resident Evil 4 had gotten extra content after they came from Gamecube? Or when most PS3 versions of games received extra content after they came from Xbox 360?

Why should it be a problem with this game, especially when not only was this game announced first for Switch, but also in which the Switch version had gotten delayed due to the platform having problems with Unreal Engine 4 & in which Switch owners had to wait another 2 years after the PS4 version was released just to receive the game?

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
This. It was done long ago as far back as the PS1/Saturn/N64 era, I think.

Was it a problem when the PS2 versions of games such as Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 & Resident Evil 4 had gotten extra content after they came from Gamecube? Or when most PS3 versions of games received extra content after they came from Xbox 360?

Why should it be a problem with this game, especially when not only was this game announced first for Switch, but also in which the Switch version had gotten delayed due to the platform having problems with Unreal Engine 4 & in which Switch owners had to wait another 2 years after the PS4 version was released just to receive the game?

it was a shitty practice then and it is a shitty practice now, only people that benefit from exclusive content are idiotic fanboys and 1st party company that pays for it. No excuses can be used in 2020 when we get regular updates, patches and DLC.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Paying to keep content off of other platforms is a shitty practice and should be treated as such. It's one thing if it's being funded by the publisher but if they're just moneyhatting then fuck off.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who put over 100 hours into the game on PS4, and also bought the Switch version (which I probably won't play for a while because, again, 100 hours), I am also peeved they didn't release the new content on PS4 and PC.

Popular consensus is the DLC/enhancements aren't coming to other systems cause Nintendo helped fund it I believe.

Chances are the extra content and improvements were funded by Nintendo in exchange for exclusivity in this generation.

I'm sure Nintendo has some level of involvement here, but I don't think that's the case. Takashi Mochizuki, who worked for The Wall Street Journal at the time, asked Square Enix if it plans to add the new elements of the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI to the vanilla version via an update or downloadable content, to which the company said that it was "undecided." If it wasn't possible, they'd more likely say there were no plans.

My final thought on it is, if it's happening, it'll be in September this year. Similar to how Octopath Traveler came to PC a year later.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It was a shitty practice then and it is a shitty practice now, only people that benefit from exclusive content are idiotic fanboys and 1st party company that pays for it. No excuses can be used in 2020 when we get regular updates, patches and DLC.

But here's the problem: A lot of PS4 owners that were anticipating this game knew that the Switch version would receive extra content, & was already informed about it in advance even before the PS4 version was released. They're the ones who made the choice to buy the PS4 version instead of waiting & holding off for the Switch version's release.

They're not entitled to anything.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you gonna bring a late port to a console and still charge full price for it, you better make some really good extra content to justify it. Square enix is right.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I was always under the assumption that Nintendo must've funded further development for the game, but they only published it in NA.
Either way, it was a known late release for a new gen from a company with a history of making exclusive contents and definitive versions. its not like theyd make money off of porting the changes to the other releases, they were probably all in on optimizing for switch hardware when developing the extra content. Should've done your research.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My final thought on it is, if it's happening, it'll be in September this year. Similar to how Octopath Traveler came to PC a year later.
I can actually see this being the case, with Nintendo having a one year timed exclusive deal for the S features on Switch.

But I ain't holding my breath tbh.
If you gonna bring a late port to a console and still charge full price for it, you better make some really good extra content to justify it. Square enix is right.
I think the problem lies in the bold part. I think doing day and date releases or selling a late port at a cheaper price would be a better way of handling this than making QoL changes/improvements exclusive to one version.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Nintendo has some level of involvement here, but I don't think that's the case. Takashi Mochizuki, who worked for The Wall Street Journal at the time, asked Square Enix if it plans to add the new elements of the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI to the vanilla version via an update or downloadable content, to which the company said that it was "undecided." If it wasn't possible, they'd more likely say there were no plans.

Oh, when I said this generation, I meant that I thought the exclusivity only applied to this generation of consoles, not that the exclusivity would last for this generation. As in, I doubt that Nintendo's exclusivity deal with DQ11's features extends to the PS5 (not that I would expect a PS5 port of the game since the PS5 is supposed to have PS4 BC). It certainly could be a timed exclusivity deal where after a year or whatever, the exclusivity is up, and SE decides if they want to bring it to the other versions (most likely as paid DLC, knowing SE). However, if that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother, thinking that there won't be enough demand to be profitable given the age of the game at that point.

Oct 31, 2017
Was it a problem when the PS2 versions of games such as Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 & Resident Evil 4 had gotten extra content after they came from Gamecube?

I think VJ2 was released at the same time on both GC and PS2.

VJ and RE4 did release a year later or so on PS2 with new content.

it was a shitty practice then and it is a shitty practice now, only people that benefit from exclusive content are idiotic fanboys and 1st party company that pays for it. No excuses can be used in 2020 when we get regular updates, patches and DLC.

Nope, you forgot people who waited for the definitive version ! ;)

Paying to keep content off of other platforms is a shitty practice and should be treated as such. It's one thing if it's being funded by the publisher but if they're just moneyhatting then fuck off.

How do you know if Nintendo paid for this new content though ?

But here's the problem: A lot of PS4 owners that were anticipating this game knew that the Switch version would receive extra content, & was already informed about it in advance even before the PS4 version was released. They're the ones who made the choice to buy the PS4 version instead of waiting & holding off for the Switch version's release.

Indeed.

I was always under the assumption that Nintendo must've funded further development for the game, but they only published it in NA.

Wasn't it published by Nintendo in Europe as well ?

I think the problem lies in the bold part. I think doing day and date releases or selling a late port at a cheaper price would be a better way of handling this than making QoL changes/improvements exclusive to one version.

That wasn't possible though. They had problems with Unreal on NS and waited for an improved version. Then they learned that they couldn't transfer their work made for the PS4 release. They basically made the same game three times (3DS/PS4-PC/Switch) in the end.

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't possible though. They had problems with Unreal on NS and waited for an improved version. Then they learned that they couldn't transfer their work made for the PS4 release. They basically made the same game three times (3DS/PS4-PC/Switch) in the end.
That's why I said they should've made the Switch version a bit cheaper since it was late.

At the very least, they should've offered the QoL changes to PS4/PC users as a patch or a paid DLC (which the latter could've had its own problem but it would still be better than no way to get those QoL changes).

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Er.... good for you folks that got to play it a whole ass two years before I did, lol :)

Edited to add: I just mean to say that I think early adopters (myself often one) often miss features and I still don't understand why this case grinds gears so much harder than others.

Because usually the missing features are due to technological limitations of an old hardware or the missing feature is released as a dlc.

The complaint I have is not the missing features on their own. I mean of course it is fair for Switch to get additional features if Nintendo paid for them. However, I would like to know this before the release of other versions. That way I could make a informed decision.

I understand SQEX would like to sell multiple copies, but the potential of having to buy a game twice and play it twice to access new contents does discourage me from buying their games day one.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

yes they are not entitled to anything but nobody expects it to be free. We are completely in our rights to be frustrated about how the exclusive content has been handled. Heck square enix has mishandled exclusive content in all the Dragon Quest games. They should release it as dlc for the ps4 and steam.

Oct 31, 2017
That's why I said they should've made the Switch version a bit cheaper since it was late.

At the very least, they should've offered the QoL changes to PS4/PC users as a patch or a paid DLC (which the latter could've had its own problem but it would still be better than no way to get those QoL changes).

I was mostly answering about "the day and date releases" part in your previous post.

Also, what price were you expecting ? I basically got it for 40ā‚¬ day one.

However, I would like to know this before the release of other versions. That way I could make a informed decision.

Well, they were vague for obvious reasons but it was pretty easy to guess back then.

Last edited:

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
I agree that platform-specific exclusive content for multi-platform games sucks. :/ It would be nice if the additional Switch content ended up being a timed exclusive and PC and PS4 players would get it patched in at some point.

Also overall the English VO isn't bad at all.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know whether or not Nintendo actually had a hand in funding the new content, or if Hori and company just took an opportunity to do a "Director's Cut" version of the game when the opportunity came up. I'm not trying to defend SQEX here. It sucks. I get it. I platinumed the game on the PS4, and while I double-dipped on the Switch version because I want more DQ in the West, I have no intention of replaying the game anytime soon (or perhaps even at all, as it's a bottom-of-the-barrel-tier DQ in my book). It irks me that I missed out on that content.

This has probably been mentioned, but in case it hasn't, I think the biggest issue here is that there's simply a two-year gap between the PS4 version and the later Switch release. (Feels like less in West because our PS4 release was kind of late). I have to imagine that work on the PS4 version had wound down long before the full extent of the new Switch content was hashed out and developed, they did a cost-benefit analysis, and decided it didn't make sense to spin up a new development cycle for a PS4 (or PC) patch.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

I'm legit shocked that (some of) the World of Final Fantasy Maxima features actually got packaged and sold as DLC for the PS4 version so long after the game released, (though they still never bothered to do the same with the Vita version, sadly). Or that they actually FINALLY fixed the bugs from the PS4 version of classic FFVII. But I think there are also some architectural issues further separating the Switch version of DQXI from the PS4 and PC versions, no? That'd mean more money and resources to back-port the new content to those versions. And that's assuming an exclusivity clause isn't in place. Timed or otherwise.

I wish they'd go through the effort and sell it for like $15 or $20. I'd probably buy it. But I get why they don't. And as previously pointed out, we knew the Switch version was going to receive exclusive content before we even got the PS4 and PC releases. So those of us that bought in early should have done so more or less informed.

/shrug

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I was mostly answering about "the day and date releases" part in your previous post.

Also, what price were you expecting ? I basically got it for 40ā‚¬ day one.
Oh that part of my original post was just in reference to the person that I was quoting and speaking in general that late ports costing less would be better than having some exclusive contents at full price.

Oct 31, 2017
July, 2017 for Japan
November, 2017 for rest of Asia.

Same as the JP release then. Wait, you edited that post ! :D Ok, then.

The NX version was supposedly confirmed in summer 2016 (according to that one IGN article, even though Wiki goes with 2015) and was supposed to be released alongside the 3DS and PS4 versions or so it seems. Then it was delayed... So, I don't know if they gave some hints to the JP/Asian press back then but I did guess that the late/later release would get more content :D I'm expecting the same for VIIR to be honest.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Same as the JP release then. Wait, you edited that post ! :D Ok, then.

The NX version was supposedly confirmed in summer 2016 (according to that one IGN article, even though Wiki goes with 2015) and was supposed to be released alongside the 3DS and PS4 versions or so it seems. Then it was delayed... So, I don't know if they gave some hints to the JP/Asian press back then but I did guess that the late/later release would get more content :D I'm expecting the same for VIIR to be honest.

The thing is it was delayed rather than a planned late release, and SQEX didn't say it would come with exclusive extra content. Therefore, it wouldn't be fair to require me to assume Switch version would get exclusive extra content.
That's why I do find SQEX's lack of communication to be discouraging to first-day buyers, which is my complaint.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd go through the effort and sell it for like $15 or $20. I'd probably buy it. But I get why they don't. And as previously pointed out, we knew the Switch version was going to receive exclusive content before we even got the PS4 and PC releases. So those of us that bought in early should have done so more or less informed.

/shrug
That's a bad excuse. It's ok for the switch to have exclusive content to a point but how all the exclusive content and quality is life features this has been handled is extremely poor and should continue to be called out.

Oct 31, 2017
The thing is it was delayed rather than a planned late release, and SQEX didn't say it would come with exclusive extra content. Therefore, it wouldn't be fair to require me to assume Switch version would get exclusive extra content.
That's why I do find SQEX's lack of communication to be discouraging to first-day buyers, which is my complaint.

Well, I mean, they want your money at the end of the day. No company would go out and say "you should wait because this other version we'll release one or two years from now on another platform will be better". But I think it's pretty easy to guess that was gonna happen. They did something similar with FFXII and I wasn't surprised at all ! :D

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bad excuse. It's ok for the switch to have exclusive content to a point but how all the exclusive content and quality is life features this has been handled is extremely poor and should continue to be called out.

I don't disagree with you. I think it sucks. I mentioned that in the bits you didn't quote. I just think the reality is, is that there's no one over at SQEX actively working on or maintaining the PS4 (or PC) version anymore. Not to the extent that'd be required for adding new content to the game, anyway. I'd love it if we got AT LEAST the QoL improvements and music options in a free patch. Those SHOULD be easy to do. I'd love it even more if they'd back-port the new content eventually, even as paid DLC, WoFF Maxima-style.

But with those versions essentially not being maintained any longer, there's no one to do the work, and I have to assume that they feel that it's just not worth it (for them, for their business) to change that. Do we even know if any Western version of DQXI met or exceeded their (usually incredibly unreasonable) sales expectations? Because if they didn't, you know that's just another bullet point in the "against" column in their cost-benefit analysis to not do shit with the PS4 and PC versions.

Is it bullshit? Yes. It is anti-consumer? Sure, to an extent. Am I excusing them? I don't think so. I just laid out what I think is the most realistic scenario here. I don't like it any more than anyone else complaining in this thread. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the PS4 version. And I did it knowing that I'd double-dip on the Switch version if that localization came to be (don't recall if it was a sure thing yet). I would have triple-dipped had we gotten the 3DS version! It still sucks. It's still bullshit.

Ideally, this wouldn't even be a discussion or a thread that exists. But here we are. And all of the above assuming there's no exclusivity clause on the new content, to boot. That could very well be a thing too.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
tenor.png
:'(

AustarusIV

Jan 8, 2019
I don't see how this is much of a surprise considering how long it took for DQXI to come out on Switch, especially considering it was one of the first games announced for the system.

I do feel sorry for those who wish they could have the new features on PS4/PC, though. Hopefully they do come in a later update, despite my doubts.