• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
SE downgraded FF XV, called it a pocket edition, and gave it as scraps to Switch owners.

There have always been exclusivity deals for content, and being angry about improvements that came nearly a year and a half after the game was available elsewhere seems a bit off.

Businesses have to have reasons to move products.

I think they did that because they could get FFXV running on the Switch. It barely run well on a high end PC because the coding for the game is pretty bad.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 2/3 and Dragon Quest 11S' exclusive features - two topics that will forever haunt non-Nintendo people on this site lol.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Sony does makes these deals constantly. Why is it such a big deal now?

these features do make it the best version though. I played through it on pc before getting the switch version and it's hard to go back to the pc version.

There was plenty of moaning about Sony when Destiny got exclusive content tbf

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day it really makes no sense for the changes to come to the PS4/PC versions, they were more or less additions to go here's a reason to buy this version that you had to wait 1-2 years to get. If they came to the PS4, people would have been pissed they had to wait and other platforms got the content for less money.

Needless to say it's smarter to piss off the people who already gave you their money instead of potential customers.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Looking for a "definitive" version of any Dragon Quest game only leads to sorrow

1: Content wise, all ports/remakes are the same. But... the Switch version, probably the easiest to play, has some weird graphics "improvements"
2: Same as 1, content is the same, preference is just on graphics between mobile and Switch version and if you want to play the game on mobile or not
3: There is no definitive version. All modern ports/remakes are missing content from both the Super Famicom and GBC remakes. The GBC version is feature complete, but it's on the GBC. The Super Famicom remake has arguably the best graphics, but is missing GBC features and was never released outside Japan. The Switch port also has the same weird graphics as 1 and 2
4: DS remake is missing features. Mobile port has these features back, but is "stuck" on mobile. No console release outside of original NES game and Japanese only PS remake (which the DS remake is based off of).
5: PS2 version has arguably the best graphics, but never left Japan. DS remake was, though, and is good. Mobile version is basically the same as DS. No console release for DS version.
6: DS/Mobile remake is missing monster catching, Super Famicom version never left Japan. No other console version.
7: Best version is forever stuck on 3DS, and if it ever leaves the 3DS will be stuck to Nintendo consoles
8: PS2 version is missing features from the 3DS remake, but 3DS remake lacks orchestrated music of the PS2 version and has worse graphics
9: Only ever released on DS
10: Never released outside Japan
11: Switch version has the most features, but graphics aren't as good as PS4/PC version

Basically, if you want a definitive console version of the Dragon Quest series you're... not going to ever find it, other than maybe 10, but that never left Japan!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The game came out later on Switch so they added additional features to make it attractive to consumers who may be reluctant to buy a "late" port/double dip.

This isn't even unique to Dragon Quest, many ports to Switch include additional features to make them more appealing. Are we going to campaign for the Wii U version of Mario Kart 8 to be patched with all the Deluxe content?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The common consensus is that Nintendo paid for it but there is no evidence of that.

When a company pays for exclusivity, the payment is frequently in marketing spend, not an actual flat payment. Clearly Nintendo helped to market DQ11 Switch. It's also not unusual for exclusivity deals to have a minimum guarantee payment on sales so that if the game underperforms, the developer is still guaranteed a certain amount of money.

Looking for a "definitive" version of any Dragon Quest game only leads to sorrow

1: Content wise, all ports/remakes are the same. But... the Switch version, probably the easiest to play, has some weird graphics "improvements"
2: Same as 1, content is the same, preference is just on graphics between mobile and Switch version and if you want to play the game on mobile or not
3: There is no definitive version. All modern ports/remakes are missing content from both the Super Famicom and GBC remakes. The GBC version is feature complete, but it's on the GBC. The Super Famicom remake has arguably the best graphics, but is missing GBC features and was never released outside Japan. The Switch port also has the same weird graphics as 1 and 2
4: DS remake is missing features. Mobile port has these features back, but is "stuck" on mobile. No console release outside of original NES game and Japanese only PS remake (which the DS remake is based off of).
5: PS2 version has arguably the best graphics, but never left Japan. DS remake was, though, and is good. Mobile version is basically the same as DS. No console release for DS version.
6: DS/Mobile remake is missing monster catching, Super Famicom version never left Japan. No other console version.
7: Best version is forever stuck on 3DS, and if it ever leaves the 3DS will be stuck to Nintendo consoles
8: PS2 version is missing features from the 3DS remake, but 3DS remake lacks orchestrated music of the PS2 version and has worse graphics
11: Switch version has the most features, but graphics aren't as good as PS4/PC version

Basically, if you want a definitive console version of the Dragon Quest series you're... not going to ever find it, other than maybe 10, but that never left Japan!

Also in addition to the stuff you mentioned, most Dragon Quest games ports/remakes lower the difficulty which IMO is a downgrade other than maybe DQ1 & 2.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The worst part is that it's called "definitive" and got the extra content, but it is a serious downgrade in presentation, especially from PC where it can run at 144fps+ high resolution. The environments and animations all look way better in the "non-definitive" version.

Similarly, I still would rather play VIII on PS2 than 3DS. It doesn't have the added content but the visual presentation is so much better on a big widescreen TV and with the better graphics. (Especially if you use PCSX2)

At the least the switch version does help this via skip cutscene and the 4x battle speed. Hell grinding was made stupid easy thanks to this.
If you do metal slimes right you should never really have to grind a lot in DQ games

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm going to stop buying Square games at release because of this if at all. Its happened with FFVII and FXII, if they keep releasing better versions and can't be bothered to update on other consoles, it feels like they have contempt for their audience.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 3 FES vis a vis Persona 3 Portable...is that a comparable situation to DQXI's platform differences?

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Nintendo exclusivity could be a year or more. Since SE was reported as saying that this definite edition would've never happened if it weren't for Iwata's involvement means that Nintendo paid a pretty penny for a chunk of exclusives. Nothing is forever exclusive but since DQ 11 sales are lacklustre I would think Nintendo took a bigger risk than SE to release them on Switch by taking on more expenses.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Yea, as someone who bought a PS4 collectors edition it rubs me wrong as hell but at the end of the day they just want to milk the fans.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The worst part is that it's called "definitive" and got the extra content, but it is a serious downgrade in presentation, especially from PC where it can run at 144fps+ high resolution. The environments and animations all look way better in the "non-definitive" version.

Similarly, I still would rather play VIII on PS2 than 3DS. It doesn't have the added content but the visual presentation is so much better on a big widescreen TV and with the better graphics. (Especially if you use PCSX2)

If you do metal slimes right you should never really have to grind a lot in DQ games

Hey, does your rig run it 144hz with no drops? I have a 9900KF and 2080 Super and it fluctuates on 144hz for me.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I have a strong suspicion dragon quest 11 is coming to ps5 as the definitive edition. If it doesn't then I still suspect a holiday definitive edition of the game for Xbox and PS4

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I bought the collectors edition of DQXI on ps4. And I would be willing to pay 14.99 or even 19.99 for the DLC. But I am not paying 59.99 even if I own a switch. It sucks that they just refuse to make more money. Do they think that it wouldn't sell? There is definitely something against them releasing this.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I got to play it much earlier and paid much less for it on ps4. Seems a fair trade to me. It's not like the extras we're a secret.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The game came out later which explains why so many previous games have exclussive content, that way it's easier for them to try and sell that older game for a premium price.

There should not be any third party exclusive deals but this is not a charity, they want you as their customer regardless of their own studio output. I don't know why big developers like Square-Enix can't get their act together and need these silly exclusive deals, same with Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would like the added story and orchestra audio would make it to other platforms. Especially in this era of DLC.

The Orchestra mod on PC is a godsend. The difference between Switch and 4K PC with reshade (with the MXAO Ambient Occlusion and Clarity filter) and Engine.ini tweaks (for LOD, Motion Blur, Sharpening and better TAA) makes it feel like a Remaster graphically. Even if MXAO is glitchy in some spots.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
It's sort of a problem about having to buy the same game twice. It's an understandable move from SQEX point of view, but it is also fair for a consumer to complain about having to buy a game twice.
I honestly don't understand the consumer complaint here. I'm not trying to be obtuse. We knew the eventual Switch version would be much delayed and uglier, but have exclusive content before the PS4 version even released in the West.

I skipped the PS4 version as a result, I remember cancelling my preorder in favor of it. By the time the Switch version released at full price, which I bought- I observed myself that the price of the PS4 release had dropped pretty deep. It seems like there was a fair comparative value component here to me.

I understand WANTING the extra content, and I legit do hope that someday it releases as dlc (ideally a free patch actually but I doubt they'd do the necessary hundreds to thousands of man-hours of work for a old release free) but acting like they're the exact same product but for the new content ignores the context of the release imo

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
yeah obviously there was form of deal worked out, but also someone at square Enix talked about how iwata really wanted dq and they really wanted it to be good for him after his death.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with DQ11S if Nintendo published and paid for it...SE should at least patch FF12 and KH BbS saving menu back to the PS4 version

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Port begging, the thread.
Port begging is absolutely fine in its own thread. It's detrimental when it shits up legitimate threads about the game.

And yeah, locking these features to a technically inferior version of a game that I love is pretty disappointing. At least we'll eventually have an emulated version.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yes, it was na awful move by SE... It saddens me to put Dragon Quest in the pile of franchises that I'll never buy day one, because there will a better version down the line (and probably a used copy). A shame, as it was a series I always expected not to fall for those practices.

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, making QoL features exclusives is a shame. The new recipes highlight and the ability to buy materials straight from the crafting forge is great. Battle speed is very cool too. I understand new content might be exclusive, but QoL ? bad practice.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I skipped the PS4 version as a result, I remember cancelling my preorder in favor of it.

It was funny times when people thought the Switch version was going to be the 3DS version upscaled lol In early 2019 I was very close to get the PS4 copy, but I waited to know the formal announcement for the Switch one. I think it was a worth wait.

Oct 26, 2017
It was funny times when people thought the Switch version was going to be the 3DS version upscaled lol In early 2019 I was very close to get the PS4 copy, but I waited to know the formal announcement for the Switch one. I think it was a worth wait.
I think some folk were genuinely hoping for that, tbh, if the tone of the posts were anything to go by

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought DQ11 for PS4 on day one and loved it and also bought DQ11S for Switch on day one because of all extra content and QoL improvements and loved it.

So SE won.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Same almost but maybe I should have gotten the 2080ti but it is expensive.
Ah I got it just cause it was on sale + no tax. At this point I'd wait for the 30-series if you were thinking up upgrading but a 2080 should be good for a while. Chasing the top end is expensive though for sure. I've been thinking of preemptively flipping the 2080ti before they drop the new cards.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
When a company pays for exclusivity, the payment is frequently in marketing spend, not an actual flat payment. Clearly Nintendo helped to market DQ11 Switch. It's also not unusual for exclusivity deals to have a minimum guarantee payment on sales so that if the game underperforms, the developer is still guaranteed a certain amount of money.
True, but to be fair, Dragon Quest is likely a rare example due to the difficulty of the music rights. That was almost assuredly a flat rate paid by Nintendo.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Ah I got it just cause it was on sale + no tax. At this point I'd wait for the 30-series if you were thinking up upgrading but a 2080 should be good for a while. Chasing the top end is expensive though for sure. I've been thinking of preemptively flipping the 2080ti before they drop the new cards.

Sounds like a superb idea. You always give me helpful tips concerning PC gaming topics. Many thanks.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
I honestly don't understand the consumer complaint here. I'm not trying to be obtuse. We knew the eventual Switch version would be much delayed and uglier, but have exclusive content before the PS4 version even released in the West.

I skipped the PS4 version as a result, I remember cancelling my preorder in favor of it. By the time the Switch version released at full price, which I bought- I observed myself that the price of the PS4 release had dropped pretty deep. It seems like there was a fair comparative value component here to me.

I understand WANTING the extra content, and I legit do hope that someday it releases as dlc (ideally a free patch actually but I doubt they'd do the necessary hundreds to thousands of man-hours of work for a old release free) but acting like they're the exact same product but for the new content ignores the context of the release imo
Well, I suppose they said that, but it is not in product description, and I didn't find this info when I did some research before buying it. I am not really sure they said that when they released the Asian version, which is the version I bought. Regardless, I certainly hope they can make this information more known in the future, though I doubt so

Good for you, though there are also people who bought the Asian or Japanese version like me.

Last edited:

Garou

Oct 25, 2017

DQ7 is also on mobile.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This has always been the case with Dragon Quest ports (they always add extra content on top whenever it comes to a new system), so I don't really mind to be honest. You still get an absurdly content rich game to begin with (even if it makes less sense in the age of patches, but w/e).

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Got both versions. Played through the PS4 version as I couldn't give up the resolution. Music is a non factor for me as I barely want to support Sugiyama as it is. That being said all versions of the game are great and it is, hands down , the best jrpg this generation.
This has always been the case with Dragon Quest ports (they always add extra content on top whenever it comes to a new system), so I don't really mind to be honest. You still get an absurdly content rich game to begin with (even if it makes less sense in the age of patches, but w/e).
This too..
I hit 180 hours and just got to act 3. The game is insane!

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't know so much of this QOL was exclusive to the Switch. Can't imagine without skipping cutscenes and using the forge anywhere as well as buying materials

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
For a second, I thought the OP is disappointed by the features, not the exclusivity deal.

Nintendo helped the funding. It is what it is, OP.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that bought the game on PS4 and Switch, I agree it sucks for people that played it on something besides Switch, but I'm glad the Switch version of the game exists and got me to play it twice. So if the options are only Switch version gets these features or no definitive edition exists at all, I'll definitely take the former.

"This is toxic!" made me choke on my food though, so thanks for that.