• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii brought up the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age during the "Everyone Get Excited! Live Stream from the Dragon Quest XI Concert Backstage" Niconico live stream at "Family Classic Concert: World of Dragon Quest" today.

Regarding the Nintendo Switch version, Horii said, "I can't really speak about it, but it is progressing smoothly."

Horii also remarked, "I have a feeling we'll have a variety of announcements around TGS, but just how much will we say…" hinting that there will be an announcement regarding the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI around Tokyo Game Show 2018, which runs from September 20 to 23.

Furthermore, Dragon Quest XI director Takeshi Uchikawa said, "I have a feeling we will be able to announce something soon," further adding to the likelihood of the Switch version surfacing.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age is available now for PlayStation 4 and 3DS in Japan, and will launch for PlayStation 4 and PC via Steam in North America and Europe on September 4.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
If a port is progressing smoothly, and is getting revealed soon, that makes it likely for it to release early next year?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I'll bet on Golden Week 2019 release in Japan (so early-mid April). Maybe summer in the West?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decided waiting for this version due to the extra unannounced content and i love dragon quest on the go/handheld.

So yup cancelled my ps4 order and waitin for this!

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hm, this hint could make me skip the PS4 version. Lost hope before that we will hear anything regarding it this year but this gives me back some confidence in the project. Might just hold out for now.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
when it's that late don't keep talking about when you're going to announce the announcement of it.

imo, for extremely late ports, straight announce a release date 2-3 months prior with a trailer and that's it.

Decided waiting for this version due to the extra unannounced content and i love dragon quest on the go/handheld.

So yup cancelled my ps4 order and waitin for this!

Hm, this hint could make me skip the PS4 version. Lost hope before that we will hear anything regarding it this year but this gives me back some confidence in the project. Might just hold out for now.

shrug.
we're no closer to knowing jack tho

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to play it on Switch for the portability and convenience. It's going to be hard to resist getting it for my PS4, and not double dipping later for the Switch.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
So it will release close to the other versions or what? There is no footage yet, I don't think it will be ready until summer next year.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably won't happen but a great way to get people excited about this version would be an orchestrated soundtrack. Or at least an OST created with higher quality MIDI/samples/whatever

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play it on Switch for the portability and convenience. It's going to be hard to resist getting it for my PS4, and not double dipping later for the Switch.

I just preordered it digitally on the PS4 because I didn't want to wait a half+ year for the Switch version. I figured that if Square goes all out and puts in some of the 3DS content in the Switch versions I'll double dip.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I'll guess I will end up buying this twice... won't be the first time I have bought multiple copies of a DQ game (own three versions of DQ1, three different DQ3, DW7/Dq7, DQ8, DQ5. All in the search for portability...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Considering the game release September 4th in the West for Steam and PS4, a TGS reveal for the Switch is not at all an unreasonable date.

The performance in Japan will be interesting: There have been DQ rereleases, and plenty of them have done over or around 1 million units, but none of those were a 'late version': a version that releases 1-2 years after the original release. These rereleases have all been remakes, whereas the Switch one is a late port. As such, it's not clear to me how many units the game could sell in Japan. Another complicating factor is that DQXI released at a time where the 3DS wasn't at its healthiest anymore, so there is quite possibility a potential portable audience that is willing to get the Switch version left. On the other hand, about 2M 3DS owners have bought DQXI, which, while being only 50-60 percent of a typical DQ release, is not an inconsequential number by any means.

Tough thing to figure out, that's for sure. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll do around 500k units in Japan.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Oh god. TGS would be the perfect place to announce a DQ rep for Smash along with the Switch version of XI. Come on S-E come on Sakurai!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
4.20 putting in work. ;)

Announce a new composer for the western version pls. I'd like to buy this. And I'd like it to sound decent too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Nintendo will be publishing this in the west like they do SE's other games

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This can't come soon enough. Not really interested in RPGs I can't play portably anymore. I hope the localization doesn't lag too far behind the Japanese release.

Nov 23, 2017
Almost like the extreme fan anxiety is completely unfounded and a lot of crow will be eaten when this sells as an evergreen for Switch/Switch 2.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the Switch version was instead an upgraded version of the 3DS experience then a downgraded UE4 experience.

Not port begging with this, I mean we're getting DQ11 either way - just rather have an upgraded 3DS experience as I'll never get a chance to play that as I don't believe that will be coming to the west. I guess it's kind of port begging but not in a bad way.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Switch version was instead an upgraded version of the 3DS experience then a downgraded UE4 experience.

Not port begging with this, I mean we're getting DQ11 either way - just rather have an upgraded 3DS experience as I'll never get a chance to play that as I don't believe that will be coming to the west. I guess it's kind of port begging but not in a bad way.

The 3DS version was interesting in terms of visuals and combat, but it's lacking content that the PS4 version has (mostly minigame). Also some quests and areas are changed up between platforms.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
shrug.
we're no closer to knowing jack tho
Well, I originally wanted it on a handheld anyway. Don't want to play a turn based combat game in front of my TV - so I'll take any news about the Switch version. Getting this on PS4 isn't really what I want, but what I feel somewhat pressured to.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So, first, they said that there's some difficulties, and now it's progressing smoothly?

What happened? Did they switch to a newer and improved UE 4 version or did they literally have 2 devs working on it before and have now stocked up to a complete team?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So, first, they said that there's some difficulties, and now it's progressing smoothly?

What happened? Did they switch to a newer and improved UE 4 version or did they literally have 2 devs working on it before and have now stocked up to a complete team?
Probably UE4. 4.19 and 4.20 were both big jumps on Switch.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The pessimist in me makes me thinks the PS4 version has a terrible release time and is most likely gonna have a very weak launch in the West compared to the DS/3ds releases. So maybe they're starting to coal up the hype train for the Switch version?

The conspiracy theorist in me says that it's actually not far off, they're just trying to not canabaloze the PS4 sales in the West.

The optimist in me says that maybe things are just going faster now that Epic is making a lot of updates to UE4 since the release of Fortnite.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I actually considered getting this on PS4 due to the wait, but I think I'd have more time to play it on Switch. Getting news soon would make that decision even easier.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
DQVII, VIII, IX and X all had pretty good legs in Japan. Not evergreen status but they all charted for months. XI's sort of the outlier there.
This is going to be a very late third version, it might have some legs but the sales overall is not going anywhere over half a million ww.