• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There's orchestral mods for DQVII and DQVIII on 3DS. Hopefully one's in the works for DQXI as well along with a translation patch.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing and I must say the music isn't really that bad. After reading some opinions here I thought it will be horrible :P
If you just started playing then that's probably why.

To me the biggest offense is how often tracks are reused. You hear the same overworld theme and the same town theme all the damn time. Which when combined with the fact those tracks are kind of mediocre anyway, you just get sick of them.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, I was talking about 3DS. A translation's already in the works afaik so hopefully there's a soundtrack mod to go along with it. When that happens I'll import a used copy.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, is it already happening so soon? When can we expect the full mod to be released? Before the end of the year?

Also, where are the places where one could buy the orchestrated Dragon Quest soundtracks? Are there multiple venues, or is only one available? Can they be bought digitally, in flac, DRM-free? Thanks

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, is it already happening so soon? When can we expect the full mod to be released? Before the end of the year?

Also, where are the places where one could buy the orchestrated Dragon Quest soundtracks? Are there multiple venues, or is only one available? Can they be bought digitally, in flac, DRM-free? Thanks

I can't really say I recommend sliding money directly in the pocket of a homophobic war crime denier, I'm sure the mod itself will come with the music already. To answer your question, I believe the only method there is, is to buy the actual CDs.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

You are impressed at their speed, but also think they might need 3 months to finish it?
If I follow what preta said, then it could be a matter of days. Maybe longer to make a nice README, and maybe built a tool that automates part of this.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Somebody really needs to explain to that fossil Sugiyama how the internet and PC mods work. Not only will we get to play the game with orchestral music anyway, he won't earn a fucking cent from this. What a dumbass.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that was fast. I'm only a few hours in myself, the music really is jarring so I'm looking forward to this mod.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I expected this but no that fast! That's great, I played it for 30 minutes before dismissing it, the music is so jarring..

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I can't really say I recommend sliding money directly in the pocket of a homophobic war crime denier, I'm sure the mod itself will come with the music already. To answer your question, I believe the only method there is, is to buy the actual CDs.

You know, I don't like Sugiyama as much as the next person but that's the problem with the way life works. There were tons and tons of people who worked on the music. You're not just giving him money by buying a cd, you're also rewarding all the people who I'm sure worked really hard on it.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've said this in other threads, but it feels like Sugiyama being who he is has caused people to turn on the music hard lol. The actual tracks in-game aren't bad.

The vanilla soundtrack is way, way better than most people seem to describe it as imo. It's not bad at all and has some good compositions.

Having said that, I've been listening to the symphonic suite that came with the special edition and it's beautiful. Would have preferred that for sure.

Personally I feel that the actual compositions are nice enough, although I don't think they are that great. That said the midi versions are quite awful and they sound bad, maybe not all of them but the more prominent ones, like the overworld and the battle theme.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm going to turn off auto-updating for DQXI. I'm not expecting patches anyway (and the game doesn't seem like it needs them) and I wouldn't put it past SE to try to patch this back out of the game. Though they may be as tired of Sugiyama's crap as everyone else and might just shrug their shoulders and say "hey, we tried. "

As for the compositions themselves, I think they are on the weaker side for the series but I find the melodies creeping into my head when not playing so there it's not all bad.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The MIDI sound is terrible but the OST isn't bad. Only song I find really grating is the overworld theme. If there were 2-3 different overworld themes it would do the game a huge favor.
Hope the PC folks get the patch though, that's awesome.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody really needs to explain to that fossil Sugiyama how the internet and PC mods work. Not only will we get to play the game with orchestral music anyway, he won't earn a fucking cent from this. What a dumbass.
Yeah and if I was the kind of person who would want to see his concerts live I'd probably not go after the way he's treated the game.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This describes pretty much every Dragon Quest game, though, and people haven't whined about the music of previous DQ games nearly as much.
Is that the case though? You don't spend nearly as much time in the overworld of other 2d games and I just played through IV recently and it had changing overworld tunes. I also think you spend less time in areas in the old games, as being 2d means towns are never quite that huge and you get through them quickly.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game the other day and now I think I'm having regrets. The music is so bad that its making me not want to even play the game at all.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Preta and Co., thanks for working on this. I'm 35 hours in the game and don't mind much the MIDI music. However, the intro with the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra is just really good. This game will definitely benefit greatly with the orchestrated soundtrack. I'm really looking forward to the mod release.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah and if I was the kind of person who would want to see his concerts live I'd probably not go after the way he's treated the game.
Sugiyama straight up thinks foreigners aren't worthy of his music. Apparently he freaked out when Square put his orchestral tracks in the western release of DQVIII. Dude is a total loon.

Compare this with Nobuo Uematsu who appreciates his fans no matter where they come from. He even travelled to my home city of Adelaide (which is an obscure backwater) to attend the Distant Worlds symphony.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I bought this game the other day and now I think I'm having regrets. The music is so bad that its making me not want to even play the game at all.
I was having similar feelings and would recommend turning the volume of it down to 3 to 5, it hides the quality a little and lowers the grating loud repetitive noises.

Musubi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was having similar feelings and would recommend turning the volume of it down to 3 to 5, it hides the quality a little and lowers the grating loud repetitive noises.

Like it super sucks because its a fun game otherwise. I really like the look of it especially the enemy models some of them are so well animated and fun to look at.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Sugiyama straight up thinks foreigners aren't worthy of his music. Apparently he freaked out when Square put his orchestral tracks in the western release of DQVIII. Dude is a total loon.

Compare this with Nobuo Uematsu who appreciates his fans no matter where they come from. He even travelled to my home city of Adelaide (which is an obscure backwater) to attend the Distant Worlds symphony.

Wait, is this true? Is the reason the music sounds not great is that he doesn't want us to hear it orchestrated?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Wait, is this true? Is the reason the music sounds not great is that he doesn't want us to hear it orchestrated?
It's weird. The Japanese version of the game has the same OST as the western release. However, Sugiyama also did a fully orchestrated version of the soundtrack to be sold separately as a CD and also in concerts. He won't license the orchestral versions of his music outside of Japan though. The only person who really knows why is Sugiyama himself.

I'm not sure why they were able to make an exception with DQVIII but I heard he was pissed when he found out the western version had the orchestral tracks.

I'm mostly just pissed about the game having a weaker version of the soundtrack for no good reason at all. Ultimately Suigyama owns the rights to the music so he gets to choose. I just don't understand why he wants to screw over fans of the series. Surely he's actually losing money here by not licensing the music. It's bizarre to see an artist hold back their work like that.

(Keep in mind that Sugiyama is in his late 80's and is an outspoken war crimes denier, xenophobic and a homophobe. His political views might have something to do with why he doesn't license his music outside of Japan. I'm just speculating though.)

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
It's weird. The Japanese version of the game has the same OST as the western release. However, Sugiyama also did a fully orchestrated version of the soundtrack to be sold separately as a CD and also in concerts. He won't license the orchestral versions of his music outside of Japan though. The only person who really knows why is Sugiyama himself.

I'm not sure why they were able to make an exception with DQVIII but I heard he was pissed when he found out the western version had the orchestral tracks.

I'm mostly just pissed about the game having a weaker version of the soundtrack for no good reason at all. Ultimately Suigyama owns the rights to the music so he gets to choose. I just don't understand why he wants to screw over fans of the series. Surely he's actually losing money here by not licensing the music. It's bizarre to see an artist hold back their work like that.

(Keep in mind that Sugiyama is in his late 80's and is an outspoken war crimes denier, xenophobic and a homophobe. His political views might have something to do with why he doesn't license his music outside of Japan. I'm just speculating though.)

I thought with VII and VIII on 3DS it was simply a matter of Nintendo, who published the games, not WANTING to pay the licensing fees. I noticed with games AFTER DQVIII on PS2 we started to see the Sogiyama Kobo trademark on DQ title screens which makes me think there was some kind of loophole at the time that pissed Sugiyama off that he probably had to clamp down. Even if there is some kind of "unworthy foreigner" mentality, he's still scummy for making the music in the original Japanese release so low quality for the sake of concert sales. I could've SWORN I read something with him saying that "Video games should NOT have Orchestra quality music in them" but that doesn't explain remakes with orchestra soundtracks.

I don't think we'll ever properly know until he's gone.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get these working? Does the 3DS have to be modded with homebrew or something?
There is a 3DS homebrew launcher, which you get to install via various exploits (I'm not sure which ones are still active, used to be you could just do it via the 3DS Browser at a certain firmware ).
That one has a tool that allows you to patch games too, I think.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to do a music mod for tales of berseria but there was likewise no way to get past the encryption.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a 3DS homebrew launcher, which you get to install via various exploits (I'm not sure which ones are still active, used to be you could just do it via the 3DS Browser at a certain firmware ).
That one has a tool that allows you to patch games too, I think.

If someone has up-to-date instructions on how to do this, please PM me.

faker123

Nov 15, 2017
The game has been cracked, maybe it'll be easier now
It's frustrating that i will have to download the cracked version even thought it paid for the game but oh well

Musubi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, the suggestion to turn the music down was a really solid one. I turned it down to 2 on settings and its present enough to make sure things aren't totally silent but not entirely overbearing.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
If someone has up-to-date instructions on how to do this, please PM me.

There are pre-patched versions floating around out there, also. I have the physical release of both 7 and 8, and for that matter I think three copies of 7 and 2 of 8 (wife bought 7 for her and she inadvertently got an extra copy) . But the modded version is sooo much better, and running with the New3ds CPU speed override fixes some of the menu lag present in the DQ7 NA port as a bonus.

The orchestrated versions are really the only thing I have been using my modded 3ds for, since I've been doing NES and SNES on the Analogue NT/Super NT and everything else on my Retropie.

It's fairly low maintenance these days, but once in a while you have to update the CFW loader or whatever.

There's an era 3ds cfw / Homebrew thread but it is pretty quiet.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are pre-patched versions floating around out there, also. I have the physical release of both 7 and 8, and for that matter I think three copies of 7 and 2 of 8 (wife bought 7 for her and she inadvertently got an extra copy) . But the modded version is sooo much better, and running with the New3ds CPU speed override fixes some of the menu lag present in the DQ7 NA port as a bonus.

The orchestrated versions are really the only thing I have been using my modded 3ds for, since I've been doing NES and SNES on the Analogue NT/Super NT and everything else on my Retropie.

It's fairly low maintenance these days, but once in a while you have to update the CFW loader or whatever.

There's an era 3ds cfw / Homebrew thread but it is pretty quiet.

I have a physical copy of the game and an ongoing save, so whatever is easiest to get the music working on that.

Or if it's easier, take my save to a digitally backed up version saved on my SD card.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Gaaah, I'm so excited! Between this, the HDR mod, and the ini tweaks I feel so happy for switching to PC gaming 2 months ago. I really hate that the community often has to "fix" games, but so thankful that talented people do.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once it's ready how will we go about patching it into our own games? will there be a tool or just downloading the entire data.pak file?

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Gaaah, I'm so excited! Between this, the HDR mod, and the ini tweaks I feel so happy for switching to PC gaming 2 months ago. I really hate that the community often has to "fix" games, but so thankful that talented people do.
It really is hard to go back to console gaming when you are comfortable modding your games. Thats the main reason I bought DQ11 for PC instead of PS4; I knew there would be a music mod eventually. I'm really trying to limit my play so when it gets released I won't be too far into it.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The concerts are only in Japan so it's not like there's an option.

Like he cares about it, he cares about the people buying the special editions which is the DQ product that is available for the west and what he'll get from here. The rest is sold in Japan and well, you can have an idea on how it sells.

There's a orchestrated version of the music on the special edition so this thing isn't true. Except for the part where you say what type of person he is and Sakaguchi stuff, all the rest is complete speculation without any basis.

I thought with VII and VIII on 3DS it was simply a matter of Nintendo, who published the games, not WANTING to pay the licensing fees. I noticed with games AFTER DQVIII on PS2 we started to see the Sogiyama Kobo trademark on DQ title screens which makes me think there was some kind of loophole at the time that pissed Sugiyama off that he probably had to clamp down. Even if there is some kind of "unworthy foreigner" mentality, he's still scummy for making the music in the original Japanese release so low quality for the sake of concert sales. I could've SWORN I read something with him saying that "Video games should NOT have Orchestra quality music in them" but that doesn't explain remakes with orchestra soundtracks.

I don't think we'll ever properly know until he's gone.

I don't think we'll ever know at all. For three reasons: Sugiyama is respected in Japan and very famous, no one would say internal things like that and no journal would have motive to ask about this either in Japan because of the first motive.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The concerts are only in Japan so it's not like there's an option.

Like he cares about it, he cares about the people buying the special editions which is the DQ product that is available for the west and what he'll get from here. The rest is sold in Japan and well, you can have an idea on how it sells.

There's a orchestrated version of the music on the special edition so this thing isn't true. Except for the part where you say what type of person he is and Sakaguchi stuff, all the rest is complete speculation without any basis.

I don't think we'll ever know at all. For three reasons: Sugiyama is respected in Japan and very famous, no one would say internal things like that and no journal would have motive to ask about this either in Japan because of the first motive.
Apologies. I didn't realise the Special Edition released in the west. That's good news. So he's willing to license music for the west, as part of the SE, it just comes in a CD and is not included in the game itself. I still don't fully understand the logic behind this but at least it shows he's willing to release his music outside of Japan.

I'd still like to know why they didn't include the proper soundtrack in the game itself though. Plenty of companies do Special Editions where they give you a copy of the OST but they usually reflect the music from the actual game. If Sugiyama is holding the music back as a way to strongarm people into getting the SE or going to his concerts, he's still shitting on fans regardless.

Last edited: