• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are you able to switch between 3D and 2D modes whenever, or do you pick one or the other at the start and stick with it through the whole playthrough?

I gave up very early on the PS4 version primarily because I want to play it portable.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It would be nice for this stuff to be patched into every version.
They should have at least patched in the orchestral music. Feels like such a massive slap in the face for the fans who were there day one for you to deprive them of that.

It fucking sucks when you put 120 hours into a game and most of that playtime has been spent with the mute button on. Especially in a JRPG of all genres.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I will leave the PS4 version for my brother to play, and I will delve into this Switch version. I prefer playing RPGs on the Switch due to the portability. I guess I've been conditioned since the Game Boy.

Oct 25, 2017
While I was initially upset that SE delayed the switch release by a year, I'm glad they waited for a newer version of Ue4 to allow for closer parity (engine was improved a lot after Fortnite came out) and that they added all these features

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I halted my playthrough. I would definitely like the ability to speed up battles and have the whole party follow you. I don't care for much else, so I do hope this gets patched in to the other versions.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only reached Dundrasil in the PS4 version, so I'm contemplating just waiting for the Switch version and playing this that instead since I'm not that far if there's no patch. These enhancements are really nice.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square said they haven't decided yet, so yes they're going to patch it after launch.

Perhaps some of this. 2D more surely not. It could be that some of this stuff is funded by Nintendo or that Square just simply not thing it is worth the effort of porting because of the relatively low sales of the game.

Deleted member 12162

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to a 2nd playthrough, especially with the orchestral soundtrack this time! The synthesized one didn't bother me at all, but I can't wait to hear the difference!

I'm loving all the changes! Definitive version achieved.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this has '2d mode' but this isn't encompassing the entire 3ds version right?
no. the 3D graphics of the 3DS version is not present in the PS4/PC or the switch version. also the 3DS version had zones areas where you revisit areas from dragon quest 1 to 10, we don't know if those are present in this version or no.

That's an interesting read of that statement. My read is "let's shut them up with an ambiguous statement until the furor dies down and they forget about it"
yeah they said they're undecided, that really doesn't mean it's coming. they didn't even bother to patch the japanese PS4 version with the enhancements of the international version, and considering these are actual extra content that cost money (specially the licensing of the orchestral music) and also nintendo is handling the publishing of the game outside japan, i don't think they'll ever just give these content as a patch to the PC/PS4 players. paid DLC may be possible, but even that is pretty unlikely. i could see them releasing the definitive edition on ps4/pc as a separate release a year or so after the switch version.

It also looks very impressive graphically. Me like!
yeah it's one of the best looking switch games so far imo. i'm very impressed. hopefully the resolution and fps hold up well.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This really is the definitive edition, I love everything I'm seeing. Easiest day 1 purchase for me.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped the PS4 version after about 6 hours when I heard this was coming. The soundtrack improvements alone will be worth it. I had to turn that shit almost all the way down.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Day One, already preordered on Amazon.

I hope the release date isn't too close with Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon or Animal Crossing.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this continues to look great on Switch, really impressed your party can now follow you into the field, that's ace. I'm currently playing on PS4, I'm planning on stopping after the first quest then will wait until Switch version and will replay first quest mostly in 2D mode and then approach all the second quest content fresh. :)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
People need to stop thinking Square gives a shit about DQ fans in the West. They don't. Their focus is on Japan.
If they add DLC for orchestrated music and additional stories into the PS4 version, then what about the 3DS version which sold like 2 million copies? Do they get left in the cold?

It would at least be nice to have that password feature that was in the Japanese version. So if people who double dipped wanted to continue from a certain point in the Switch version without restarting they could (yes I know not exactly everything carried over)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The patch begging really seems unnecessary. The game is late on Switch and needs the extra content . Other users got to play it up to 3 years early

I guess it mostly sucks for western fans who only got it less than a year ago, but blame Nintendo for being competent and going for a simultaneous western release with their version

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not convinced by that. This is the Definitive Version. I could see them releasing that version at some point down the line on PS4 and PC, but adding it into the original release? I doubt it.
Yup, a patch would be pretty unprecedented they definitely want to sell you another version.

I'm conflicted, I played the PS4 version for like 88 hours and don't really feel the need to buy it again but this is definitely the best version.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Not convinced by that. This is the Definitive Version. I could see them releasing that version at some point down the line on PS4 and PC, but adding it into the original release? I doubt it.

They could go the route of DLC upgrade like World of FF and FFXV had.

Whatever they do it'll definitely be paid. No one should hope for this to be free.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
The visuals definitely took a massive downgrade but since I've already played this on PS4 and PC, it shouldn't really bother me at all. The bonuses are great but I doubt I would replay this beautiful game in this state. Which is why I think that 2D mode is perfect for people like me who've already played the game in optimal settings so they can just play it again entirely in 2D since they've already experienced it in the best way possible.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The patch begging really seems unnecessary. The game is late on Switch and needs the extra content . Other users got to play it up to 3 years early
...the game will be 2 years old by the time the switch version comes, not 3. but yeah i agree that it was necessary for a 2 year old version to have extra content. i think people are missing the point if they think the west is the focus here. the series sells the most in japan, and by the time it comes it'll be a pretty old game so they need to sweeten the deal to be able to sell a full price port of a 2 year old game.

It would at least be nice to have that password feature that was in the Japanese version. So if people who double dipped wanted to continue from a certain point in the Switch version without restarting they could (yes I know not exactly everything carried over)
that would be great for the people who want to double dip, so they don't have to start all over if they were in the middle of a playthrough.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The visuals definitely took a major massive downgrade but since I've already played this on PS4 and PC, it shouldn't really bother me at all.
I keep seeing this massive visual downgrade repeated by a few people but I don't see it. Downgraded? Yes. Massive? I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The visuals definitely took a major massive downgrade but since I've already played this on PS4 and PC, it shouldn't really bother me at all.
huh, i'm not seeing any massive downgrade. obviously the game wasn't going to look as good as the pc/ps4 version, but it still looks great, and very similar to the other versions.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
How is this actually going to look in portable mode? I am very interested in the switch version, but am a bit concerned about that.