• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
BlandSeriousJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif
PERFECT

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I keep seeing this massive visual downgrade repeated by a few people but I don't see it. Downgraded? Yes. Massive? I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word

I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word opinion, so no, I'll standby what I said. I couldn't care less if you don't see it or not.
I think it's massively downgraded and anyone who's played the PS4 and PC I've seen said similar. It's blurry and loses all the other elements of the original. Probably because it's running at a much lower resolution.

Not really a big deal to me, but it's definitely a major downgrade from the game running on optimal settings on PC, for example. So I understand if anyone says that and where they're coming from.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word of my own thoughts, so no, I'll standby what I said so maybe deal with it. I think it's massively downgraded and anyone who's played the PS4 and PC version can agree on that. It's blurry and loses all the other elements of the original. Probably because it's running at a much lower resolution.
This is why I pointed it out because it doesn't ring true.

There is no need to get defensive about it

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The most interesting feature from the 3DS version will live on Switch. Now I don't feel that bad because its lack of localization.

Oct 26, 2017
If I clear up the rest of my backlog and there are some dry months for me, I'll be down to pick it up. The QoL improvements and being able to play it portably make up for it being a late port with slightly downgraded visuals

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Will probably replay this with the 2D decently far down the line, so some of this stuff is encouraging even if it's not gonna make me pick it up anytime near release.

Rather, as someone still chipping away at the postgame for the PS4 version, I was pretty worried the new stuff would be stuck all the way there. But instead it looks like it'll either be before the second third or during it. So that's nice at least.

I thought Jasper might actually join the party but I guess those scenes are just Hendrik's story? Hmm.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Haven't really started the game yet (too many games), but I happily would double dip if this comes physical on PS4 too. Because I want both, the PS4 visuals, and all the other new additions of the switch version. Switch version still looks very awesome though.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word opinion, so no, I'll standby what I said. I couldn't care less if you don't see it or not.
I think it's massively downgraded and anyone who's played the PS4 and PC I've seen said similar. It's blurry and loses all the other elements of the original. Probably because it's running at a much lower resolution.
when you say objective things you can't use the excuse of it being your opinion. "massively downgraded" and "loses all the other elements of the original" are objective facts, not subjective opinions.

edit: lmao, just noticed the username. never mind :)

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
They haven't announced one yet, but given how much money Nintendo has been pouring into the promotion of the game already and how they're positioning it as a major release, I imagine it will get one. We shall see.

It's a definitive edition so I doubt it. Something just as niche like Astral Chain or Daemon are more likely to get ones because they're new games rather than enhanced ports or definite editions. They seem limited in how they decide what games get CE. Fire Emblem, Zelda, Xenoblade are usually the only ones that get any special edition. Everything else basically just gets controller and accessory bundles? Like Smash, MK, Pokemon, Mario, etc. Or nothing at all if it's too niche, like Bayonetta. I wouldn't expect anything honestly, certainly not like the CE SE did for DQXI, which was great.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing! Is there a collectors edition?
it most likely will get a collector's edition. nintendo is probably positioning it as a major title in their lineup, and the previous SE RPG they published (octopath) got an special edition. this is probably a bigger deal for them than octopath.

It's a definitive edition so I doubt it. They seem limited in how they decide what games get CE. Fire Emblem, Zelda, Xenoblade are usually the only ones that get any special edition. Everything else basically just gets controller and accessory bundles? Like Smash, MK, Pokemon, Mario, etc. Or nothing at all if it's too niche, like Bayonetta. I wouldn't expect anything honestly, certainly not like the CE SE did for DQXI, which was great.
bayonetta got special edition

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's a definitive edition so I doubt it. Something just as niche like Astral Chain or Daemon are more likely to get ones because they're new games rather than enhanced ports or definite editions. They seem limited in how they decide what games get CE. Fire Emblem, Zelda, Xenoblade are usually the only ones that get any special edition. Everything else basically just gets controller and accessory bundles? Like Smash, MK, Pokemon, Mario, etc. Or nothing at all if it's too niche, like Bayonetta. I wouldn't expect anything honestly, certainly not like the CE SE did for DQXI, which was great.
bolded: which got a special edition ...both times they put it out lol

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I can barely see a difference between the Switch and PS4 versions, so I really doubt the average person will give a damn (tbf even on games with an apparent downgrade - they rarely care). Sucks if that's all that matters to you, hopefully then you can play it on a PC with the better music or a patch gets released, but it is completely laughable to me to insist on there being some massive downgrade in graphics for this game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
when you say objective things you can't use the excuse of it being your opinion. "massively downgraded" and "loses all the other elements of the original" are objective facts, not subjective opinions.

edit: lmao, just noticed the username. never mind :)
Was I talking to a joke account?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
For reference when I think massive downgrade it's more along the lines of like RE4 on the CG to RE4 on a mobile device. Something where you could see two thumbnails of the game side by side and they don't look like there's any chance they're the same.

Like this compared to this. I'm not even sure if that would completely count for me as "massive" but it's in the ballpark.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks remarkably good. It would be really cool if there was a Switch Pro if this supported it.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, this really is a MASSIVE DOWNGRADE compared to the PS4 and PC version. What the fuck were Nintendo thinking?
019-2.jpg

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It's crazy how much improved and much better this version is. It's like the previous ones were betas. Square is so nuts.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The entire game is playable in 2D? For some reason I did not know this. Looks like I will have to buy this again.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any portable footage? I am concerned this will be on par with Xenoblade 2 on handheld.

Those screens in the OP look grainy and low quality. It's not that bad at least. Hoping the performance is decent enough.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
For those who haven't played, it's a super easy game. You can add difficulty modifiers but only at the start of the game. At a church (save point) you can remove them but not apply them again. I recommend the super tough monsters. Without it, I couldn't stand how easy all of the battles were. IMO, all of the other modifiers are more annoying than anything else.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing this massive visual downgrade repeated by a few people but I don't see it. Downgraded? Yes. Massive? I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word
Yeah these people trippin. These little difference are the same "little" differences you see in xbox one X vs PS4 pro games yet the pro is fine in these cases.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its going to be weird playing this for the first time entirely in 2D mode and then replaying it later in full 3D.

Like jumping ahead thirty years straight to the remake.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Square said they haven't decided yet, so yes they're going to patch it after launch.

This is Square-Enix we're talking about, it'll be 9 months later when people have long since given up waiting and double dipped on Switch, and it'll be an upgrade DLC priced suspicously on the high end for what it realistically offers.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Nice!!! Really shaping up to be the definitive version....if the graphical department holds up.

Looking forward to this. Wondering how different the 2D mode is from 3D, and the ease of switching between either.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the PS4 version right now, but also looking forward to the Definitive Edition of Dragon Quest XI on the Switch thanks to these great additions.

Despite the "massive downgrade," of course. :)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever there is a impressive current gen port on Switch, some people feel the need to make sure that everyone knows it's still a massive downgrade.

Personally I think it looks amazing and probably a little better than most people here where expecting. I remember thread where people thought they would have to use the 3DS 3D version as a starting point because Switch could never run the PS4/UE4 version.

Now the Switch version is pretty much everything you could have hoped for.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is Square-Enix we're talking about, it'll be 9 months later when people have long since given up waiting and double dipped on Switch, and it'll be an upgrade DLC priced suspicously on the high end for what it realistically offers.

They did offer the World of Final Fantasy Maxima upgrade on PS4 at the same time as the Switch port, so there's some hope.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuck i hate double dipping especially on switch. (I hate the lack of trophies which is why i always get multiplatform games on my ps4)

But i want to play the game entirely in 2D, itll look and feel just different enough to make it feel like a new game. If they dont patch ps4 version with it. (I actually hope they do with added trophies lol) i guess ill steal (buy) a switch copy from somewhere.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
At least square enix add stuff instead of just porting like most devs do on the switch. I see this being a switch exclusive for a while, before they add the extra stuff on the pc and ps4. They want to sell the switch version, so these extras are good enough for most.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
They did offer the World of Final Fantasy Maxima upgrade on PS4 at the same time as the Switch port, so there's some hope.
This is true, although World of Final Fantasy Maxima is published by Square Enix for both consoles in the West. Whereas Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition is published by Nintendo outside of Japan.

Another example of a Dragon Quest Switch port of a game over 2 years old in Japan by the time of release and published by Nintendo in the West is Dragon Quest Builders. That featured Switch exclusives in the form of the Great Sabrecub mount as well as retro-themed objects and blocks. Any word if those additions eventually made their way to the PS4 and Vita versions of that game?

Plus the possibility that the arrangement to obtain the orchestral music might not just be for this game but also Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, at least if recent rumors prove true.