• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
I almost lost it when I reached the southern village after the
Tentaculus boss fight

And saw everyone talking with my same dialect lmao. Good job localization team.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah, has anyone managed to beat the Wheel of Harma Secret Trial?

(If the name is a spoiler let me know and I'll edit it out but I don't really see how it could be)

I managed to get to the second round and then Jade promptly got demolished. Everyone is near max level, this trial is utterly overwhelming.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
I wouldn't restart. It's so easy to avoid enemies if you so choose, you can be as underleveled (or not) as you want, even without that modifier. All it would effectively do would be make metal slime farming more tedious.
Keep in mind turning on no exp for weak monsters does make the game more grindy. If monsters have a gap of five levels difference below that means they don't give any exp all this. This INCLUDES any Metal Slime type family as well.
Oo wait metal slime farming is one of my favorite parts of DQ games so definitely going to leave it off, thanks for that reminder

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I almost lost it when I reached the southern village after the
Tentaculus boss fight

And saw everyone talking with my same dialect lmao. Good job localization team.
In the spanish version the people in Gondolia speak almost in full italian. It gets hard to read at first, but man... that must've been hell for the spanish localization team... (unless the italian team helped them out on this)

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
In the spanish version the people in Gondolia speak almost in full italian. It gets hard to read at first, but man... that must've been hell for the spanish localization team... (unless the italian team helped them out on this)

Luckily I play the italian version but yeah I can imagine that was difficult for the localization team.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
So were those talks about gay marriage endings a hoax? I'd make a thread about it but I'm threadbanned

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So were those talks about gay marriage endings a hoax? I'd make a thread about it but I'm threadbanned

Nobody ever claimed there was straight up gay marriage. They added every party member as people you can "live forever with" which includes men. And you get unique dialogue for each choice.

Lumyst

Oct 27, 2017
I just rewatched the stuff that happens before the beginning of Act 3 and I can understand why people may feel they don't like the premise storywise at least.
I bet they want the player to feel uneasy on purpose. So the Luminary severs the Time Sphere, separating the memories from what happened before and after going to the World Tree, then maybe shrinking himself into the remaining portion of the record of memories/glass to continue doing stuff in there, not actually changing anything in actual reality except perhaps causing crystals to form differently on shattered glass. The original party is effectively seeing him disappear in a flash of light as he's living out the rest of his life and shaping events in that "crystallization of memories", maybe shrunken down or imprinted into crystal fragments, albeit at least Calasmos is being completely taken care of in the bargain too to the relief of the actual reality.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if I've found the spot at which I want to remove the no xp for weaker monsters draconian modifier. I spent the entire Act 2 final boss fight on the defensive until he decided to mist/a cut above 3 full HP party members at level 55 to death in one turn. I like having harder monsters, but grinding hardy hands is a pain without getting xp for the fights I DO participate in. I think I'm turning it off in a bit. I'd imagine it's served it's purpose up until this point.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I'm wondering if I've found the spot at which I want to remove the no xp for weaker monsters draconian modifier. I spent the entire Act 2 final boss fight on the defensive until he decided to mist/a cut above 3 full HP party members at level 55 to death in one turn. I like having harder monsters, but grinding hardy hands is a pain. I think I'm turning it off in a bit.

I think the only useful draconian is the one that makes the enemies more powerful. It really makes the game better and more tactical.

The other draconian are just needless self-flagellation for masochists.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I made Erik my blushing bride-to-be and he was elated by it!

EG-XbugUwAAH8tr.jpg

EG-XbuWU0AIht7N.jpg
It's by far the best Tickington quest due to your party's reactions, made me laugh

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Nobody ever claimed there was straight up gay marriage. They added every party member as people you can "live forever with" which includes men. And you get unique dialogue for each choice.
If you google search site:resetera.com or site:reddit.com about DQXI gay marriage there were a lot of people talking about it. So yeah a lot of people I saw claimed that.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
If you google search site:resetera.com or site:reddit.com about DQXI gay marriage there were a lot of people talking about it. So yeah a lot of people I saw claimed that.
Yeah people didn't really pay attention to what was actually said. It was always "live with" and not "marriage".

That said, in practice it's still really close.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Act II question

just got rab back and it says to head to arboria for my next step and search the world for my scattered party members..should I head straight for arboria? Should I take detours in towns like Puerto valor that I havent been back to?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got Rab and Jade and I'm about 40 hours in. I know I'm playing slow, but just how slow of a pace am I going here?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Rab's voice acting is pretty good.
How does everyone know the hero is a prince of Dundrasil? Erik, Rab, and Jade I get, but everyone else seems to take it in stride. It seems like everyone already knew without it being mentioned

Nooooo, my marriage prospects were ruined at the reveal. I wanted to marry Jade :(. It's still real to me dammit. Technically it's not incest since they're not related /s. Now that Jade is out, there's no one else I want to marry. I'm not really vibing with Serena or Veronica. Can I marry Erik instead?

I just got Rab and Jade and I'm about 40 hours in. I know I'm playing slow, but just how slow of a pace am I going here?
I'm about 25 hours in and about to get Rab and Jade.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Act II question

just got rab back and it says to head to arboria for my next step and search the world for my scattered party members..should I head straight for arboria? Should I take detours in towns like Puerto valor that I havent been back to?
You'll have the full squad assembled when you reach Arboria, but you can't get there right now.
I got them at maybe the 20 hour mark? Hey, you're getting your money's worth.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does everyone know the hero is a prince of Dundrasil? Erik, Rab, and Jade I get, but everyone else seems to take it in stride. It seems like everyone already knew without it being mentioned

Nooooo, my marriage prospects were ruined at the reveal. I wanted to marry Jade :(. It's still real to me dammit. Technically it's not incest since they're not related /s. Now that Jade is out, there's no one else I want to marry. I'm not really vibing with Serena or Veronica. Can I marry Erik instead?

I'm about 25 hours in and about to get Rab and Jade.
You'll have the full squad assembled when you reach Arboria, but you can't get there right now.

I got them at maybe the 20 hour mark? Hey, you're getting your money's worth.

lol I figured I was way behind most people. I talk to people in the towns like 600 times and shit

Christo750

May 10, 2018
This honestly may creep into my favorite games ever. I haven't felt this sense of adventure in a RPG in a while. Not really an RPG but it reminds me of Ocarina of Time in a lot of ways.

I'm past a certain point where the sea became explorable, and I just sat there and let the music play...I feel as though I haven't been actually moved by a video game track in a while. This is really wonderful. And a true standout in a game that is overall weirdly conservative with its music.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Act 2 spoilers;

I am almost at the final boss, I just defeated Jasper...he was a lot easier than the boss fight when I arrived at the place. I didn't go and fight the final boss as I plan to do that tomorrow but yeah I am almost at the end of the game.

I also have a question in regards to the post game, do I have to do the time travel nonsense to marry a character? As I rather not do that and undo all the character development, it just seems like a cop out on the writers and developers part.

Yeah people didn't really pay attention to what was actually said. It was always "live with" and not "marriage".

That said, in practice it's still really close.

It's still queer baiting though. 😕

I am still going with Jade as my marriage choice.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that the luminary was the prince of Dundrasil was common knowledge at the time of his birth.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Okay yeah, has anyone managed to beat the Wheel of Harma Secret Trial?

(If the name is a spoiler let me know and I'll edit it out but I don't really see how it could be)

I managed to get to the second round and then Jade promptly got demolished. Everyone is near max level, this trial is utterly overwhelming.

Same as you, looked up a team strat but couldn't finish off Round 2 with Jade at level 99 and very good gear. I only tried it once, but It seems besides being level 99 you'll also need the best crafted gear with +3 in every slot for every character to stand a chance and complete it in 50 turns for all the rewards.

Luckily, the rewards weren't good enough to really grind it out, just a bunch of stat seeds. I'm sure you get an achievement for it, too. It's one of the few things I did not complete in my playthrough.

dude44

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just now learned you can weaken the final boss with the Sword of Light... after I've already beaten it.

welp

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, Sylvando joined the party and
we are on a boat, and I didn't even know this game had a boat
we are just on a god danged adventure here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So for Jade, is there anyway be fit to just having her use raw fisticuffs? I figured that's what the builder section was for, but it seems to be a dumb idea not to equip her with a staff/spear. I was hoping I could make her just straight martial arts.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling something bad was going to happen to those new parents in Arboria when the tree fell, but I expected one or both of the parents to die. Didn't expect the game to have the guts to kill off the newborn baby instead.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Same as you, looked up a team strat but couldn't finish off Round 2 with Jade at level 99 and very good gear. I only tried it once, but It seems besides being level 99 you'll also need the best crafted gear with +3 in every slot for every character to stand a chance and complete it in 50 turns for all the rewards.

Luckily, the rewards weren't good enough to really grind it out, just a bunch of stat seeds. I'm sure you get an achievement for it, too. It's one of the few things I did not complete in my playthrough.

I'm more interested in seeing the rest of the fights than the rewards themselves.

I think it's less a question of gear and more a question of the correct party member for each fight. Which is why I'm trying to find some sort of guide for it but it seems like it's new to this version so there aren't any yet.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm more interested in seeing the rest of the fights than the rewards themselves.

I think it's less a question of gear and more a question of the correct party member for each fight. Which is why I'm trying to find some sort of guide for it but it seems like it's new to this version so there aren't any yet.

This was the only "guide" I found by someone who completed it on GameFAQs:

The stat seeds are actually pretty nice, the supers give you +20 for each use which is actually pretty OP. lol

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
That's some nice loot you have there. It'd be a shame if someone stole it.
These NPCs must be shocked to find there items stolen. Some have life savings in there.

Just curious, what real-life places are the in-game ones based off of?
Heliodor - no idea
Hotto - Japan obviously
Gallopolis - Middle East/Turkey
Gondolia - Italy (Venice)
Octagonia - France
Puerto Valor - Spain
Lonalulu - Hawaii

Last edited:

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
That's some nice loot you there. It'd be a shame if someone stole it.
These NPCs must be shocked to find there items stolen. Some have life savings in there.

Heliodor - no idea
Hotto - Japan obviously
Octagonia - France
Puerto Valor - Spain
Lonalulu - Hawaii
Sniflheim would be either Antarctica or Russia territory, their snowy city's name escapes me right now

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Gosh the point in story im in right now is too much talking way less action. So I'm just constantly taking breaks from being bored with all the tastless chit chats

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Going with swords for the hero because of metal slash mostly but I feel like I'm missing out on the greatsword class since I'm already familiar with swords from DQ8 aah

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's some nice loot you have there. It'd be a shame if someone stole it.

Heliodor - no idea
Hotto - Japan obviously
Octagonia - France
Puerto Valor - Spain
Lonalulu - Hawaii

There are more areas too, like an area based off of Potala Palace, Ancient Greece, Angkor Wat.

Octagonia, Heliodor, Dundrasil, etc just seem like more generic medieval or original style.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
There are more areas too, like an area based off of Potala Palace, Ancient Greece, Angkor Wat.

Octagonia, Heliodor, Dundrasil, etc just seem like more generic medieval or original style.
Everyone in Dundrasil speaks with a Scottish accent, so it's likely meant to be some kind of old Scottish castle or something like that.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone in Dundrasil speaks with a Scottish accent, so it's likely meant to be some kind of old Scottish castle or something like that.
I haven't made it to those sections yet in the English version so the different dialects and styles were probably lost on me playing the Japanese version, but that makes sense.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017