- Oct 27, 2017
Publisher: Square Enix (Japan), Nintendo (WW)
Developer: Square Enix, ArtePiazza
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: September 27th, 2019
Demo? Yes, there is a substantial demo available on the eShop, with progress transferring to the full version.
Price: $59.99, €59.99, £49.99, ¥8,618, CAN$79.99
Supported Languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, Chinese (Japanese is not supported in the WW version of the game)
Game Size: 13.9 GB
A young man, about to participate in his village’s coming of age ceremony, heads off to the top of the local lookout point alongside his childhood friend. After a series of unexpected events, this intrepid adventurer learns he is the reincarnation of a legendary hero from a forgotten age.
The young hero sets forth into an unknown world on a journey to unravel the mystery of his past… but the welcome he receives is far from warm.
Upon revealing his identity to the King, the hero is branded as “the Darkspawn” and hunted by a relentless army.
Fleeing from his pursuers, the hero assembles a band of endearing adventurers who believe he is actually the Luminary reborn. He and his newfound companions embark on a quest that will take them across continents and over vast oceans as they learn of an ominous threat facing the world.
New Story: Embark on new solo adventures as each of the party members. Battle monsters, collect treasures and fight bosses as you uncover the previously unseen chapters of the characters' story.
2D Mode: Play the entire game in the brand new 2D mode, just like an SNES RPG. You can freely change between 2D and 3D modes during your adventure.
Orchestrated Music: Choose between symphonic and synthesized versions of the music.
Japanese Voice-Acting: For the first time ever, a mainline Dragon Quest game is voiced in Japanese. You can choose between English and Japanese VA at will.
Journey to the Past: Visit areas from all past ten Dragon Quest games to do quests and fight bosses. Worlds from past Dragon Quest games have been re-created in beautiful 16-bit pixel art.
Other new features:
- New monsters to ride, each with their own unique functionality
- Ultra-fast battle speed
- New photo mode
- Party members now follow you on the field
- New Draconian modifiers
- New costumes
- You can call your horse from anywhere on the field
- Killing enemies while on the horse earns you XP
- More marriage options (you can choose to "live with" male characters as well)
- New outfits menu, wear equipment without changing your stats
- New boss, strongest in the game
- Forge equipments from anywhere on the map, and buy missing ingredients on the spot
- Change field music to the music of Dragon Quest VIII (requires the free DLC pack)
- Auto-advance cutscenes, or skip them even when viewing them for the first time
- New quick commands menu (opened by pressing +)
- Navigate menus with the analog stick
- Many more additions and enhancements. for a full list, look here.
Don't forget to download the free day 1 Champion's Pack DLC, and claim its content by going to "Misc > System Settings > Claim Special Rewards".
Official Website (English)
Official Website (Japanese)
eShop Page (US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan)
Aeana's excellent OT for the original release