• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I only noticed the voice acting in Act 3
Major quests in Act 3 sometimes have voice lines, but sometimes they don't. Like the Mermaid Queen no longer has voice acting in Act 3, despite being part of a quest, but Sylvando's side story with his father is fully voiced. Both of these are optional side content, but only the latter is voiced

It's inconsistent

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I only noticed the voice acting in Act 3
Major quests in Act 3 sometimes have voice lines, but sometimes they don't. Like the Mermaid Queen no longer has voice acting in Act 3, despite being part of a quest, but Sylvando's side story with his father is fully voiced. Both of these are optional side content, but only the latter is voiced

It's inconsistent

It depends on whether the dialogue prompts a cutscene or not. All dialogue in the game outside of cutscenes is not voiced so it's just a matter of them choosing to initiate cutscenes or not for those instances.

I think it all comes back to the fact that there's a lot of repetition they are trying to cut down on.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I just got to Act 3 and I can't believe I didn't do this right away.

Me: Playing Dragon Quest
Wife: "So you got Veronica back!"
Me: "Yes."
Wife: "But why isn't she dressed as a cat?"
Me: Enters equipment menu

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Felt pretty good!

rlICdfJ.png

Ekakkubris

Oct 31, 2017
East Bay, California
After hiding in a bunker for the 3 day weekend trying to power through this game, I finally made it to the end of act 2!....I think?

• I got the Sword of Light though the MC is Greatsword focused. Should I respec?
  • Is there any way to negate Jaspers buff/debuff reset move? I'm playing with Stronger Monsters on; setting up buffs and debuffs are crucial, so when he negates everything I have to frantically set stuff up again but get wiped out before succeeding.
  • I am at lvl 55 and have the crafting special move. Is it worth upgrading/crafting 3+ stuff now before taking on Mordegon?
  • Am I missing anything I need to do before ending act 2

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Started Act 3.

Those madmen. They're not really doing this. Things will go back to normal in a sec.

*after a few events*
... *mild concern*

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
But what we've been trying to say that isn't really a correct gameplay assessment(the part were you say she relies too much on charm). Jade's very well rounded her aoe rely on charm as well as some of her special skills(being vague cause spoilers) later but her spear line attacks which include multihits(multi hits have always been a factor for broken characters and part of every top tier character in dragon quest I played it seems) and critical hits(useful for hunting metals) don't scale with charm. Most of her endgame charm to hit the required amount to oneshot aoe most monsters will be gained from equipment anyway so don't invest in any of that and make her a spear master.
So her buffed up multi hit spear attacks are among the top dmging skills in the whole game.

Rab's issue is he gets eclipsed on physical by everyone and for magic he gets eclipsed by veronica and serena. He is a weird character I feel his value is mostly cause he unlocks a lot of amazing pep attacks and maybe because he gets some unique buff/debuff spells(I don't quite remember).
Not sure if I hold Jade in the same regard as you. I like her in the early/mid-game, but later on, her damage output doesn't compare to Erik, even disregarding Victimiser, which can be inconsistent to set up. Divide + Fatal Flash outdoes her single-target damage output, and Divide + Double Down outdoes her group damage output.

Regarding Rab, I like that he offers a mix of Veronica and Serena. In terms of healing, the main thing he's missing is Omniheal, but he makes up for that with Sap, Blunt, and better offensive spells. I generally preferred using him over Serena.

Might be worth noting that I just started the Switch version, though, so my opinions are based on the PS4 version.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I hold Jade in the same regard as you. I like her in the early/mid-game, but later on, her damage output doesn't compare to Erik, even disregarding Victimiser, which can be inconsistent to set up. Divide + Fatal Flash outdoes her single-target damage output, and Divide + Double Down outdoes her group damage output.

Regarding Rab, I like that he offers a mix of Veronica and Serena. In terms of healing, the main thing he's missing is Omniheal, but he makes up for that with Sap, Blunt, and better offensive spells. I generally preferred using him over Serena.

Might be worth noting that I just started the Switch version, though, so my opinions are based on the PS4 version.

Regarding Jade, my regular party consists of Hero, Jade, Rab and Sylvando. Rab on sap, Sylv on Oomphle and Jade on Multifeet (claws equipped for extra crit%) consistently gets me at least 1k single target damage per turn with no additional setup required. And that's before whatever the Hero does (usually Falcon Slash or Blade of Ultimate Power), which usually gets an additional 500-600 damage (more if he crits).

Then on subsequent turns I have no need to set up anything again, since Oomphle and Sap are in place (at least for a few rounds) so Rab and Sylv can focus on healing (or doing their own damage if I'm lucky). I don't know exactly how regularly you can get Erik's damage into the 3-4ks but to me it seems like Jade is better at consistently applying more damage.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Jealos of the ppl that get to try this put for the first time. What a fucking joy this game was. So good.

In a way I am glad I have held off so far as I know I have a lot to look forward to.

Well, held off for the most part. I have played the demo. But I know I've barely just scratched the surface of the game. I think I'm actually going to start the demo over again and choose Stronger Monsters along with No Shopping. The first time through I only went with Stronger Monsters. I will then decide which one I want to stay with in my full playthrough.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
With No Shopping, does that include buying materials automatically while forging?

Sorry if this is a no-brainer question...

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The flying theme is pretty much the best new composition in the soundtrack and it should have been the main overworld theme

It's really the only new song from this game I feel like is a proper Dragon Quest song and not just "okay" or mediocre.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
MOD EDIT: Put image in spoiler tags

AoU7AmY.jpg

Anyone know what this shield is and where I can get it?

Last edited by a moderator:

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, thanks for the spoiler.
Now I can't come into this thread again.
/s. I did get spoiled but I don't really care so you're good.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Holy fuck I am so so so sorry. It slipped my mind that that's one of the biggest spoilers in the game because I'm just caught up in grinding and I'm just really ashamed. I really apologize.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to forge a whip for Sylvando and it says I can't buy the materials in the forge, even though I have enough gold.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck I am so so so sorry. It slipped my mind that that's one of the biggest spoilers in the game because I'm just caught up in grinding and I'm just really ashamed. I really apologize.

It happens, it was removed quickly enough that I don't think it did much damage.

Anyway I think I answered your question in my reply.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's right if you say it doesn't hold up to Erik it's been a while and maybe there have been balance changes but really take note on how many rounds Erik needs as setup for his optimal damage vs Jade + rotations getting messed up by dmg requiring heals/characters getting killed. Jade is a much easier much more consistent character. As far as I remember Erik wins out if you know you kill the target withing 2 setups but beyond Jade makes fights much easier.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Jade, my regular party consists of Hero, Jade, Rab and Sylvando. Rab on sap, Sylv on Oomphle and Jade on Multifeet (claws equipped for extra crit%) consistently gets me at least 1k single target damage per turn with no additional setup required. And that's before whatever the Hero does (usually Falcon Slash or Blade of Ultimate Power), which usually gets an additional 500-600 damage (more if he crits).

Then on subsequent turns I have no need to set up anything again, since Oomphle and Sap are in place (at least for a few rounds) so Rab and Sylv can focus on healing (or doing their own damage if I'm lucky). I don't know exactly how regularly you can get Erik's damage into the 3-4ks but to me it seems like Jade is better at consistently applying more damage.
It's a bit difficult to quantify 1K damage per turn, as it depends on your level and equipment, but if you're talking end-game, then I'd consider that to be pretty low. I have a spreadsheet at home based on some testing I did that had Erik as the top damage-dealer, even with swords. There is a one-turn setup required to use Divide, but there's no RNG involved like there would be with daggers.
Otherwise, though, the rest of the party that I mainly used was the same as yours, though I sometimes used Eight in place of the Hero. Sylvando and Rab are a great duo to support your damage-dealers.
I don't think it's right if you say it doesn't hold up to Erik it's been a while and maybe there have been balance changes but really take note on how many rounds Erik needs as setup for his optimal damage vs Jade + rotations getting messed up by dmg requiring heals/characters getting killed. Jade is a much easier much more consistent character. As far as I remember Erik wins out if you know you kill the target withing 2 setups but beyond Jade makes fights much easier.
This sounds like you're only considering his dagger build, though. Victimiser can indeed be difficult to set up, but swords and boomerangs don't involve RNG, and still outpace Jade, from my experience (especially so when considering boomerangs against groups of enemies).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit difficult to quantify 1K damage per turn, as it depends on your level and equipment, but if you're talking end-game, then I'd consider that to be pretty low. I have a spreadsheet at home based on some testing I did that had Erik as the top damage-dealer, even with swords. There is a one-turn setup required to use Divide, but there's no RNG involved like there would be with daggers.
Otherwise, though, the rest of the party that I mainly used was the same as yours, though I sometimes used Eight in place of the Hero. Sylvando and Rab are a great duo to support your damage-dealers.

This sounds like you're only considering his dagger build, though. Victimiser can indeed be difficult to set up, but swords and boomerangs don't involve RNG, and still outpace Jade, from my experience (especially so when considering boomerangs against groups of enemies).

The problem with divide is that it only lasts one turn, right? So you basically need to sacrifice every other turn in order to set up his best attacks.

Unless I'm wrong and it lasts more than one turn, but I thought from my limited experience with it it was only one.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jade is a godsend as she's racks up the damage plus with her revamp ability boosts her stats. She's pretty much soloing the bosses.

Act 2 Hotto;

So I decided to do the Hotto side quest and slay the dragon and my god, why is there not a save point before the boss in the dungeon? That is just bad game design as I had to warp back out, heal/save and then head back in and take a bit of damage while avoiding the enemies just to fight the stupid boss.

Then it gets worse as I am on a quest to reforge the sword of light and I headed off to the floating island to get one of the parts and there are no save points there, so I have to warp to one and save. The game really could had benefit from allowing the players to save whenever they wanted to.

I also don't get the point of spending money in inns to heal, it's just cheaper to warp to a campsite and heal/save there and then warp back to the city. So I just stopped staying at inns unless the game forces the player.

By the way after I have forged the sword of light, how much longer of the game do I have left? I want to finish the game before Pokémon Sword and Shield releases.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jade is a godsend as she's racks up the damage plus with her revamp ability boosts her stats. She's pretty much soloing the bosses.

Act 2 Hotto;

So I decided to do the Hotto side quest and slay the dragon and my god, why is there not a save point before the boss in the dungeon? That is just bad game design as I had to warp back out, heal/save and then head back in and take a bit of damage while avoiding the enemies just to fight the stupid boss.

Then it gets worse as I am on a quest to reforge the sword of light and I headed off to the floating island to get one of the parts and there are no save points there, so I have to warp to one and save. The game really could had benefit from allowing the players to save whenever they wanted to.

I also don't get the point of spending money in inns to heal, it's just cheaper to warp to a campsite and heal/save there and then warp back to the city. So I just stopped staying at inns unless the game forces the player.

By the way after I have forged the sword of light, how much longer of the game do I have left? I want to finish the game before Pokémon Sword and Shield releases.

At this rate? You should be done well before Sword & Shield releases.

Oct 28, 2017
I played the demo when it came out and the start with Gemma really didn't click with me and I was disappointed I had waited so long for this to be on Switch, so I moved on.

When it released I saw one suggestion to use Japanese Voice and that helped for a time but I didn't really like that either so I went back to English.

Turns out after playing more of the demo I got hooked and then got the game for my birthday and now I just to the point where you can sail around.

Loving the game now especially with Sylvando. I just hope Gemma doesn't come back.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo when it came out and the start with Gemma really didn't click with me and I was disappointed I had waited so long for this to be on Switch, so I moved on.

When it released I saw one suggestion to use Japanese Voice and that helped for a time but I didn't really like that either so I went back to English.

Turns out after playing more of the demo I got hooked and then got the game for my birthday and now I just to the point where you can sail around.

Loving the game now especially with Sylvando. I just hope Gemma doesn't come back.

She comes back and every time she does, it is as brief as her first appearance.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

Gemma shouting during combat in the first like 30 minutes is just about the worst thing in the game. I'm about 50 hours in and it keeps getting better.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with divide is that it only lasts one turn, right? So you basically need to sacrifice every other turn in order to set up his best attacks.

Unless I'm wrong and it lasts more than one turn, but I thought from my limited experience with it it was only one.
Indeed, it only lasts one turn. So you use Divide and then something like Fatal Flash, and get the benefit of having 3 attacks every 2 turns, rather than a single attack per turn.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017

Crikey!

Oct 27, 2017
So I haven't played a Dragon Quest game in nearly a decade (granted, the last one we got was the VI remake almost a decade ago), but someone refresh my memory:

Have the dungeons in these games always been so generic and recycled?

I feel like I've seen the same cave and crypt almost five times each, that it's getting to the point where going into a dungeon makes me let out a disappointed "ugh."

It's such a shame given how lively, detailed, and varied the towns and overworld fields are.