• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lumyst

Oct 27, 2017
Yep! :D

As6JySW.png

Hold on,just started act 3. Since I hadn't played any Dragon quest games except Builders and VII, I didn't know anything about the earlier games. Are
Erdwin, Morcant, Serenica, Calasmos,all part of this game's past/mythos and introduced in this game for the first time? For some reason I thought they were from past games but that was just due to the look of those flashback scenes.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
King Carnelian is likely the most unlikable character in this game, even
after he wasn't possessed anymore. Who does he think he is with his assholish bossing around giving orders?
Hate him.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Hold on,just started act 3. Since I hadn't played any Dragon quest games except Builders and VII, I didn't know anything about the earlier games. Are
Erdwin, Morcant, Serenica, Calasmos,all part of this game's past/mythos and introduced in this game for the first time? For some reason I thought they were from past games but that was just due to the look of those flashback scenes.
Yes, all of that stuff is new in 11. The original Erdrick trilogy makes no mention of any of them.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
They're new to this game but the characters are inspired by classes from DQIII (Erdwin is the male Hero, Serenica is the female Sage, Morcant is the male mage, etc.)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit almost 90 hours in and I'm still unlocking new skill trees. This game is nuts. Also:

Now Sylvando can use Ladies First to give Jade 2 moves per round, basically doubling my damage output for free. Amazing.

Lumyst

Oct 27, 2017
They're new to this game but the characters are inspired by classes from DQIII (Erdwin is the male Hero, Serenica is the female Sage, Morcant is the male mage, etc.)

Oh jeez, I had been looking at this game wrong then the whole time. So the game is actually
you living out and making choices that are in the wake of the consequences of what happened far in the past as described in this game alone? The nature of Ygdrasil, the Watchers and the world, and the Tower of Time and how time works in this game are standalone and not connected to previous games? Just got to the Morcant = Split into seer and Mordegon after corrupted by Calasmos revelation

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Probably answered already, but what is a good way to spend your seeds. Haven't used none of them yet and have no idea what seed would be good on whom.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
For people struggling with some bosses in Act 3 your first order of business is to spend a couple hours and grind metal slimes to get your party to level 99, although it will trivialize most encounters save for a few late end game stuff if you're not running any Draconian modifiers.

Also, I laughed at this during the conclusion of Act 3:
I married Gemma and after saving the world I finally come home and spend time with her only to be like "Oh, my cute bodyguard mage and her loli twin sister who I spent all my time with this past year are back and want me to go on another adventure to that flying tree, see ya in 2 months."

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Does killing enemies with the slime knight grant you xp? If so, is it good for grinding?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
What do you guys think, should XII try a completely open world game like BotW or stick with the XI formula?

I love the times I can beat an enemy that rides a dragon and steal his ride to fly around the overworld islands. Makes me want to do that in a completely open world. The verticality could potentially be awesome for exploration.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Oh jeez, I had been looking at this game wrong then the whole time. So the game is actually
you living out and making choices that are in the wake of the consequences of what happened far in the past as described in this game alone? The nature of Ygdrasil, the Watchers and the world, and the Tower of Time and how time works in this game are standalone and not connected to previous games? Just got to the Morcant = Split into seer and Mordegon after corrupted by Calasmos revelation
Yep. Aside from the first three games, Dragon Quests are pretty much entirely standalone.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Aren't 4, 5 and 6 called "The Zenithian Trilogy" by fans? I haven't played them yet, XI was pretty much my intro to DQ and I want to get to them.
Those are... weird. The remakes implied they're connected but only through remake-exclusive content and nothing prior aside from stuff named "Zenith" connected them.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
True, but I feel the DQ universe would be perfect and they should give it a shot, especially with the tech that will come with the PS5 and next Xbox.
If there is ever even the slightest hint that Dragon Quest will change formula, Japan would riot.

IX was originally going to be an Ys-style action RPG before the sheer volume of Japanese fan discontent made them change direction back to turn-based a year into development.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Really don't want anything more open-worldy than previous DQ games have done. You get a ship, the world opens up a bit and maybe you can do some stuff in different orders & there's a few optional sidequests, but overall linear.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Other than maybe adding more connective tissue between the different areas once you get your 2nd form of transportation I wouldn't really change anything about the world design or layout. The zones are just the right amount of big and beautiful.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I made Erik my blushing bride-to-be and he was elated by it!

EG-XbugUwAAH8tr.jpg

EG-XbuWU0AIht7N.jpg

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Closest thing to an open world DQ is DQVIII - IIRC Level 5 was a few weeks worth of work away from not needing loading screens between large areas. I think it worked fine but I prefer the smaller sections of the world of DQXI.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Errrr...

so does marriage do anything for you game-wise? Or is it just a nice little picture and a bit of dialogue?

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
What do you guys think, should XII try a completely open world game like BotW or stick with the XI formula?

I love the times I can beat an enemy that rides a dragon and steal his ride to fly around the overworld islands. Makes me want to do that in a completely open world. The verticality could potentially be awesome for exploration.
I think an Open Areas aproach ala Xenoblade would benefit XII tremendously, as much as I'm loving the game I definitely find the linearity bothering

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly fine with the visual hit the game has taken, i it the motion blur that idk, seems to be more apparent in the dark or in low light in the game is pretty annoying

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'd mostly prefer more of the same. I'm super fatigued on open worlds and prefer more linear experiences.

That said, I don't mind open worlds if they give players good (and optional for those who don't want to use them) tools for playing linearly.
Like with games Skrim or Oblivion I just do the main quest, guild quests etc. all one at at time. Use the objective markers, compass, clairvoyance spell etc. to get to them as linearly as possible--for the most part, a little exploration or stumbling across side things as I go. That way I can play it like a linear RPG and those who like openess can just wander around and do whatever.

I get bored AF exploring open worlds, aimlessly figuring out where to go next. Even in DQ11 I'm on act 1 and wishing it just marked all the Orb locations instead of just having to sail around and talk to people to figure out where they are. I just feel like I'm wasting time when I'm not progressing as I'm not one that cares to 100% games, do all side quests etc.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god. I can buy pep pops at the end of the game, but... they cost 200,000 gold each. Any good gold farming methods?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In Act 2, his kingdom is in ruins and he lives in a tent. Hardly anyone in the camp seems to view him as anything other than another refugee.
they still call him the king and he's got his own loyal guards and whatnot at his tent. He might not be King of much, but he's still got some kind of authority going for him

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to view the in game achievements?

Edit: Sorry Vince,
but no matter how much you shove the kids into my face, you won't garner any sympathy from me.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd make a thread for this, but I don't think people would care all that much.

at Unreal Fest East 19, Square Enix went over how they ported the game to the Switch

www.famitsu.com

『ドラゴンクエストXI S』はいかにUnreal Engine 4で最適化されたか? “UNREAL FEST EAST 2019”のセッションをお届け | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

2019年10月6日、パシフィコ横浜で開催された“UNREAL FEST EAST 2019”にて、『ドラゴンクエストXI』をテーマとしたセッションが行われた。その様子をお届けする。

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, using pep pips and pep pops to do end-game leveling feels like cheating. It takes like 20-30 minutes to go from level 75 to 95.

Also has anyone tried the-

Secret Trial of the Wheel of Harma? I'm not seeing anything about it online, is it new to this version?

And considering I had to look up a strategy to do the final trial I have a feeling I'm not even close to ready for the secret trial

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
I have stronger monsters turned on and love it, but should I start over with less exp turned on as well if it gets easier later? I'm only at manglegrove right now. I'll go back and turn it on if less exp rewards better strategizing with equipment, but if it instead just pads out grinding more then I think I'd rather leave it off...any thoughts? Will be keeping harder monsters on either way.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I have stronger monsters turned on and love it, but should I start over with less exp turned on as well if it gets easier later? I'm only at manglegrove right now. I'll go back and turn it on if less exp rewards better strategizing with equipment, but if it instead just pads out grinding more then I think I'd rather leave it off...any thoughts? Will be keeping harder monsters on either way.

I wouldn't restart. It's so easy to avoid enemies if you so choose, you can be as underleveled (or not) as you want, even without that modifier. All it would effectively do would be make metal slime farming more tedious.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Keep in mind turning on no exp for weak monsters does make the game more grindy. If monsters have a gap of five levels difference below that means they don't give any exp all this. This INCLUDES any Metal Slime type family as well.