• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bannerdmkqm.jpg

generalinformations4jsr.jpg

Publisher: Square Enix, Nintendo (Switch version outside Japan)
Developer: Square Enix, ArtePiazza
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One, Steam
Release Date: September 27th, 2019 (Switch), December 4th, 2020 (PS4/XB1/PC)
Demo? Yes, there is a big demo available, with progress transferring to the full version
Price: $49.99, €59.99, £49.99, ¥8,618, CAN$79.99 (Switch), $39.99, €39.99, £29.99 (PS4/XB1/PC)
Supported Languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, Chinese
Game Size: 13.9 GB

storyb8jnk.jpg

A young man, about to participate in his village's coming of age ceremony, heads off to the top of the local lookout point alongside his childhood friend. After a series of unexpected events, this intrepid adventurer learns he is the reincarnation of a legendary hero from a forgotten age.

The young hero sets forth into an unknown world on a journey to unravel the mystery of his past… but the welcome he receives is far from warm.

Upon revealing his identity to the King, the hero is branded as "the Darkspawn" and hunted by a relentless army.

Fleeing from his pursuers, the hero assembles a band of endearing adventurers who believe he is actually the Luminary reborn. He and his newfound companions embark on a quest that will take them across continents and over vast oceans as they learn of an ominous threat facing the world.

characterseej21.jpg

icon114ke9.gif
You: A young man raised in the sleepy village of Cobblestone. Upon participating in the village's coming-of-age ceremony, he learns a surprising truth: he is the reincarnation of the legendary "Luminary" - a hero who saved the world in ages past - and has a grand destiny awaiting him... Eager to find out for himself what the Luminary really is and what his destiny means, the young man leaves his village behind and sets out into the wider world.

iconfdkrt.gif
Erik: A blue-haired thief who abandons his lucrative life of crime to team up with the hero. Although a little wild and rough mannered, Erik is a loyal and compassionate friend. As a seasoned traveller, he guides the hero and supports him along his way.

icon63jj9w.gif
Veronica: A gifted young girl who wields powerful offensive spells. Fearless and a bit of a tomboy, she will stand up to anyone, be they an adult or even a fearsome monster. Much more mature than her appearance would suggest, Veronica loathes being treated like a child.

icon5hjk7j.gif
Serena: A dependable healer who supports the party with recovery magic. Serena is calm, unhurried and compassionate, but also slightly hapless. She often causes worry for her companion Veronica.

icon4apjgj.gif
Sylvando: A traveling performer with a free spirit. Always cheery and positive, he is the mood maker of the group. Sylvando puts the skills he learned as a traveling entertainer to good use, expertly wielding a wide variety of weapons and abilities. His dream is to bring a smile to the faces of people all around the world with his art.

icon2ihkwq.gif
Rab: An old gentleman swathed in mystery. Shouldering a large back pack, he appears to be nothing but a simple traveller, but when battle beckons he wields high level magic and ferocious martial arts skills. Who could this old man with almost limitless power really be?

icon37zkgu.gif
Jade: An expert martial artist who travels the world with Rab to fulfill a mysterious goal. Her flashing kicks boast an unequalled power, but her elegant beauty and dignified demeanor hint that she is more than just a skilled fighter…

newfeaturesk3jrx.jpg

New Story: Embark on new solo adventures as each of the party members. Battle monsters, collect treasures and fight bosses as you uncover the previously unseen chapters of the characters' story.

2D Mode: Play the entire game in the brand new 2D mode, just like an SNES RPG. You can freely change between 2D and 3D modes during your adventure.

Orchestrated Music: Choose between symphonic and synthesized versions of the music.

Japanese Voice-Acting: For the first time ever, a mainline Dragon Quest game is voiced in Japanese. You can choose between English and Japanese VA at will.

Journey to the Past: Visit areas from all past ten Dragon Quest games to do quests and fight bosses. Worlds from past Dragon Quest games have been re-created in beautiful 16-bit pixel art.

Other new features:
- New monsters to ride, each with their own unique functionality
- Ultra-fast battle speed
- New photo mode
- Party members now follow you on the field
- New Draconian modifiers
- New costumes
- You can call your horse from anywhere on the field
- Killing enemies while on the horse earns you XP
- More marriage options (you can choose to "live with" male characters as well)
- New outfits menu, wear equipment without changing your stats
- New boss, strongest in the game
- Forge equipments from anywhere on the map, and buy missing ingredients on the spot
- Change field music to the music of Dragon Quest VIII (requires the free DLC pack)
- Auto-advance cutscenes, or skip them even when viewing them for the first time
- New quick commands menu (opened by pressing +)
- Navigate menus with the analog stick
- Many more additions and enhancements. for a full list, look here.

Don't forget to download the free day 1 Champion's Pack DLC, and claim its content by going to "Misc > System Settings > Claim Special Rewards".

Official Website (English)
Official Website (Japanese)
Review Thread
Aeana's excellent OT for the original release

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Great OT and that title is perfect! I've been foaming at the mouth waiting for more ever since I finished the demo weeks ago.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT !!
To answer the subtitle - first 3D and then 2D is the plan....but i might just switch around through my initial play.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
so I have a question, does the battle system get more complex than what is in the demo?

or rather, how does the game keep it interesting over the duration?

Spartan

Nov 14, 2018
Man you really want me to buy it again... :-(

(I'll add it to my Wishlist waiting for a future sale...)

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Look forward to playing more of this when my copy arrives tomorrow. Hoping the transfer process from demo is easy.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Looking forward to playing this the second time.

It does not. You can switch anywhere you can save.
When you switch from 3D to 2D or 2D to 3D you're forced to save your game and then choose a chapter to start from. Then, you're dropped at the very beginning of that chapter with the new visuals you chose.
you can't just switch and keep going from where you are.

kotowaru

Jan 14, 2018
When you switch from 3D to 2D or 2D to 3D you're forced to save your game and then choose a chapter to start from. Then, you're dropped at the very beginning of that chapter with the new visuals you chose.
you can't just switch and keep going from where you are.

This is actually a pretty big disappointment. Wasn't expecting that limitation.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
This is actually a pretty big disappointment. Wasn't expecting that limitation.
You keep all of your non-story items, gold and XP, but yeah, it's pretty lame and annoying.
you could alternate per chapter or just play through entirely in 3D or 2D but it kind of sucks that it's not changeable on the fly

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think the best way to play is to just have two save files, one for 2D and one for 3D.

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't know there were chapters in the game.
Good for hiding it. I like that.

kotowaru

Jan 14, 2018
You keep all of your non-story items, gold and XP, but yeah, it's pretty lame and annoying.
you could alternate per chapter or just play through entirely in 3D or 2D but it kind of sucks that it's not changeable on the fly

Well I guess this answers the OT question. Will probably save 2D for a future playthrough.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
3D Normal difficulty first playthrough, 2D Draconian difficulty second playthrough. Perfection.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
What? The 2D/3D switching is not as seamless as I thought it would be. That's a bit disappointing!

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

It seems they changed the behavior from the 3DS version, I just checked and according to kyokugen kouryaku, it is as you say. But I guess that makes it easy for people to game it and get items and money over and over.