• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm 8 hours in, I just got the red orb back and it dawned on me that I'm still playing the demo this whole time lol. People weren't exaggerating, what a long ass demo

My mom said DQXI S music was beautiful when she heard it, so y'all who are saying it sucks should gracefully take the L.

Collected all orbs, currently at level 39. Game is so amazing, I'm always pining to get back into it.

I think the orchestral music is very good with the exception of the battle theme, which is pretty weak imo. That affects the overall opinion a lot given you hear it constantly

Last edited:

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish the game would give you more details on skill tree abilities before you unlocked them (approx. power, stats used). I know I can respec, but Miracle Slash was such a waste

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny that I'm never excited or interested in playing a new Dragon Quest game, but once I do I'm hooked.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im incredibly hyped I will start finally tonight with the game, as im in the last file of Astral Chain.

Any thing I need to know before going in deep into it? I dont want to make it more difficult as Ive heard some people here the draconian modes were simply not fun.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
So does Erik have any use?

I just got Veronica and Serena and while Serena is obviously going to always be useful with her healing, Veronica however just completely blows ginormous holes in the enemy.

Meanwhile Erik is stabbing away doing less damage than anyone else and it looks like status effects arent particularily useful when it feels more MP and time efficient to just nuke the ever loving hell out of the enemy?

I am eyeing up these Boomerangs though...

I think Veronica is not worth much in battle until later as she is so hard to keep alive, and her best spells only come after a very high level. Erik will soon become your best damage dealer if you don't have the hero on greatswords. He is an invaluable piece that rarely gets switched out.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I just got Veronica and Serena and while Serena is obviously going to always be useful with her healing, Veronica however just completely blows ginormous holes in the enemy.

Meanwhile Erik is stabbing away doing less damage than anyone else and it looks like status effects arent particularily useful when it feels more MP and time efficient to just nuke the ever loving hell out of the enemy?

If dagger his skills that multiply damage when the enemy is asleep/poisoned work great on bosses.

Other than that, he does tend to fall out of my party once Jade/Rab show up.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this game hits you much harder emotionally than any others in the series. I'm not sure if that's because of the presentation/cutscenes being light-years ahead of every other game or because I'm a newish father but either way this game is great at tugging on the ol' heart strings.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I don't want this game to end! Granted I just got all the orbs and probably have a lot left. But still!

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
My mom said DQXI S music was beautiful when she heard it, so y'all who are saying it sucks should gracefully take the L.

Collected all orbs, currently at level 39. Game is so amazing, I'm always pining to get back into it.
The music that's in the game is good but the problem is that there's little of it. It's a minuscule amount of tracks for a 100+ hour game with very distinct locations and cities. This has always been an issue with DQ games starting with VIII - the length of the game and the amount of tracks don't match up, especially for a generation raised on JRPG OSTs that are 3+ hours long (FFs starting with VI).

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Dual wield brings up Erik's damage to a reasonable level, Sleeper Hit is pretty amazing, and his sigils (especially pepped up) are wild. Scorched Earth, which only requires Erik to be pepped up, did 70 damage a turn on a boss where my harder hitters were averaging 30.

A 3-person pepped up sigil did 234 damage per turn.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this game hits you much harder emotionally than any others in the series. I'm not sure if that's because of the presentation/cutscenes being light-years ahead of every other game or because I'm a newish father but either way this game is great at tugging on the ol' heart strings.
If DQV had similar presentation there wouldn't have enough tissues in the world.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
What are the best trees to invest Jade in? Or what abilities should I gun for first with her?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Jade just spams Sexy Beam for me since her Charm stat is insane and it's the highest single target damage attack I have. Uses Harvest Moon if I'm against a flying enemy. She has a spear but doesn't use it very often anymore. Kinda want to figure out a different way to play her since she has MP issues with Sexy Beam spam.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What are the best trees to invest Jade in? Or what abilities should I gun for first with her?
I just got her and am doing an even distribution between spears and... whatever her unique section is (I forgot lol). I opted out of giving her claws since Rab already has that, so that was basically the only choice outside of going unarmed.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So what's the spoiler recommendations for
Hendrik

Should I just put everything regarding him in a spoiler tag, or is it pretty well known at this point that he joins your party about half way through the game?

I mean, he's featured prominently in the Smash Bros spirit for the Hero's party, and it becomes pretty obvious as the game goes on that something is going to go on with him

I don't really see people discuss him that much in this thread, so I'm not sure

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hendrik

Should I just put everything regarding him in a spoiler tag, or is it pretty well known at this point that he joins your party about half way through the game?

I mean, he's featured prominently in the Smash Bros spirit for the Hero's party, and it becomes pretty obvious as the game goes on that something is going to go on with him

I personally had no idea he'd be joining until it happened, so it would've been a spoiler for me.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hendrik

I just used axes because they were new and nobody else can use them (IIRC?)
If MC switch off of great swords by then, Hendrik using them might be good.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I just used axes because they were new and nobody else can use them (IIRC?)
If MC switch off of great swords by then, Hendrik using them might be good.
lol this was actually exactly what I wanted to know, between Axes and Great Swords

I have him using Great Swords, but I was wondering whose better for raw damage, him or Jade?

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Hendrik

You can keep him a secret still. It's not that well-known that he joins and not everyone plays Smash.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What stat increases should I look for with swords to replace the Falcon Blade?

When does it stop doing better DPS than other swords?

I've noticed that enemy defense kinda makes the Falcon Blade a bit underpowered after a while. The defense applies to each hit, so 2 hits with one weapon that has say, 50 attack will do less damage than 1 hit with a weapon that has 65 attack for some enemies.

Basically I switched to the Miracle Sword once I got it. I think the Falcon Blade becomes very useful when you're hunting metal slimes, since it doubles your chance for a critical. Or quadruples it if you want to dual wield them.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hendrik

Probably better to err on the side of caution.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing the bonus story for Rab in portable and my Switch's fan just spun up more than I've ever heard it before. I'm amazed this game doesn't have more frame rate drops.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing the bonus story for Rab in portable and my Switch's fan just spun up more than I've ever heard it before. I'm amazed this game doesn't have more frame rate drops.
looks like waiting for improved UE4 support worked out well. Octopath Traveler had its fair share of drops and stuttering despite the more simple make up

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The game destroys my switches battery. I'm using the original switch and god damn if lasts maybe 2 hours undocked.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This game just refuses to end, I love it. It's like, "oh, you think you're maybe getting close to the final boss? How about doing a 9 story dungeon first?"

I've noticed a couple when sprinting around the overworld but yeah barely any. It's really remarkable how well this runs.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The battery mode is amazing on the new version of the Switch with this game - just so you know.

I get bored with the same ol same ol so just picked up the falcon blade and banishing blade. Will switch to sword and shield for awhile, on the way to becoming the ultimate Swordmaster. Also, I have basically forged +3 of everything up to magic key items, so I'm freaking rich as hell, and I don't have to worry about costs associating with respec' of the entire character if I want, so experimentation is great

Jade has major MP issues, so I gave her a +MP accessory as well. That, along with upgrading her ribbon to +3 allows her to recover 6MP every turn. As for Erik, he steals every turn for me, so I'm swimming in items to forge additional stuff for money

Xemnas89

Aug 28, 2019
Man I have the worst luck on these slot machines. Always lose about ten thousand tokens before getting something halfway decent. I see videos of people constantly getting metal mode and pulling in thousands of tokens. Keep hoping my luck will turn around then I lose another ten thousand.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Man I have the worst luck on these slot machines. Always lose about ten thousand tokens before getting something halfway decent. I see videos of people constantly getting metal mode and pulling in thousands of tokens. Keep hoping my luck will turn around then I lose another ten thousand.

I've always used the back left machine in whichever section I play in. It may take a while but I would consistently be winning lots, and LOTS of tokens. Like, I had 2 jackpots there over a couple hours.

I read somewhere that the back left machines always work best for whatever reason. Seems to work for me.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The battery mode is amazing on the new version of the Switch with this game - just so you know.

How long does it lasts? My original Switch can keep up for around 3 hours if not less.

I get bored with the same ol same ol so just picked up the falcon blade and banishing blade. Will switch to sword and shield for awhile, on the way to becoming the ultimate Swordmaster.

For the Luminary? I have been thinking of switching too but I am not sure how this will affect his damage output.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn :(

I guess everything can't be as happy as Sylvando's story :(

Erik losing his memories felt so bad, we were bros!

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Battery lasts a good while. Haven't timed it, but I can play for hours on end without a charge. The new model switch was worth the $75 I paid when turning the old one in, since I wasn't going to hack it.

As for damage output, it isn't as good as the two-handed sword, though I love falcon slash with the falcon sword. However, with a shield I use the accessory that attracts people to attack you, and the Luminary is just a tank that can take the hits. He also counterattacks a good amount if you spec him for that in Swordmastery instead of dual wield right away ...

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game destroys my switches battery. I'm using the original switch and god damn if lasts maybe 2 hours undocked.
I play the OG Switch in bed off a hub with the Pro Controller's cable attached and the battery charges just barely faster than it depletes. Good enough for me!

Also
I was wondering if the game would actually remove the Luminary branch on the skill tree after the Hero lost his mojo, and the madmen actually did it. We'll meet again, Holy Protection...

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

Erik does massive amounts of damage once he gets Dual Wield and some skills from his class tree.