• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
I spent some skill points for the first time--around 30 per character. I read that it is easy to respec in this so I don't know why it freaks me so much to commit to character builds.
Honestly it is insanely cheap to respec. I moved Sylvando from swords to knives about 16 hours in. You will probably also respec if you end up not using certain skills etc.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got Sylvando's Charm past 400 and now I'm starting to see him charm enemies at like a 10% rate

Also That's Amore does over 200 damage

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Not sure where else to ask this question, but does anyone know the name of the song that plays when you first go back to Cobblestone and talk to Chalky in the flashback/vision? It's like a sad wistful theme, and I've listened to the soundtrack and didn't hear it (might have just missed it since I was working on stuff while listening).

Thanks!

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I want an actual game made from that concept.

A King Simulator. Having to make decisions from proposals given to you from your minister. Address those that want an audience such as common citizens and townsfolk that have concerns or requests, appeasing Noble factions, deciding what is best for the kingdom, foreign relations and trade. Meeting with foreign delegates to discuss politics to maintain balance with neighboring kingdoms, forming alliances, etc.

I know stuff like Civilization exists, but it's not really the concept I had in mind, I wonder if a game like this exists. I guess Tropico might be close enough, but I wonder if something closer to the medieval era.

There is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King (and its followup, My Life As A Darklord) but afaik they're stranded on Wiiware and haven't been ported anywhere else... there's also Little King Story for Wii (and I think other systems?) But that might not exactly be what you're looking for...

Anyways, glad to see so many people have fun with this game. I don't know if I'm ready to devote another 100 hours to this so soon after platinuming the PS4 version, I'm really curious to play the oldskool DQ content though at one point. Is there a way I can dl a save that gives me access or something?

T Rex

Nov 17, 2017
Not sure where else to ask this question, but does anyone know the name of the song that plays when you first go back to Cobblestone and talk to Chalky in the flashback/vision? It's like a sad wistful theme, and I've listened to the soundtrack and didn't hear it (might have just missed it since I was working on stuff while listening).

Thanks!
I believe it is Theme of Remembrance from DQ3! Great, great track!

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I have a pretty simple formula and am breezing through boss fights in Act 2. I have Hero on a Greatsword build. First turn, Sylvando buffs him with Oomphle, Rab hits the boss with Sap, hit the party Kabuff. Then just go to town with Unbridled Blade (or whatever it's called, the 16MP single target Greatsword ability) -- with Oomphle and Sap I've been pushing over 900 damage on single attacks. Then just heal, Oomphle for support attacks (that can do 400+ damage themselves) and I don't think I've had a single fight last longer than 6 or 7 turns.

Just obliterated

Alvarith in the ocean

Without even breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks!
just watched a clip, and it think it's an arrangement of distant memories from DQ3.

I believe it is Theme of Remembrance from DQ3! Great, great track!
looks like i was beaten :)
fantastic track, one of DQ's most iconic for sure.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
Absolutely one of the greatest games I have ever played. The orchestrated soundtrack seriously elevates the experience, and I would not have played it otherwise. The MIDI soundtrack was too distracting.

On a different note:
Anyone else gotten to Abject Terror and Darkest Despair in Dustran's Trial? What utter bullshit. I cannot believe the difficulty spike. I finally beat them, but took more than 50 actions. Will unfortunately have to grind. lol

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
just watched a clip, and it think it's an arrangement of distant memories from DQ3.

looks like i was beaten :)
fantastic track, one of DQ's most iconic for sure.

That's it! Thanks, I didn't realize there were songs from previous games in XI, this is my first Dragon Quest. Awesome track though, added an extra emotional punch to that scene for sure.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Man I love how (Tockington minor spoilers)
Erik mentions Weaver's Peak citizens saying he looks like the DQ6 hero. And the imposter telling you your haircut is trash.

Speaking of 2D, do we have anyone who's beaten the game both 2D and 3D? Wondering if 2D is much shorter.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. And I still haven't tried out spears at all.

For shame.

Absolutely one of the greatest games I have ever played. The orchestrated soundtrack seriously elevates the experience, and I would not have played it otherwise. The MIDI soundtrack was too distracting.

On a different note:
Anyone else gotten to Abject Terror and Darkest Despair in Dustran's Trial? What utter bullshit. I cannot believe the difficulty spike. I finally beat them, but took more than 50 actions. Will unfortunately have to grind. lol

that was tough, the rng luck was fucking me good with them, also the
merking boss (Thank god for pep pips and Rab)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, hit me right in the nostalgia.

I love how Erdwin and his companions are basically the spitting images of Erdrick and the mage, sage and warrior characters from DQ3

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Act 3 and I'm ready to put down the game.
One of the best JRPGs I've ever played. This is not a game I will easily forget.

However, I do think Act 3 was a little weak. It's very unclear what exactly you need to do, and most of the time you're just doing what you did in Act 2 but shorter. Forging the second Sword of Light was an absolute pain for me because I didn't realize you needed a specific kind of orichalcum (which is apparently a change in the Switch version from what I can tell). There really should be a recipe for the normal Sword of Light to make it a little clearer.

In addition, there's no indication of how to benefit from the Super Sword of Light against Calasmos. I'm pretty sure that was the first time in the entire game I used the Item menu to pick a weapon instead of a consumable.

There's also some questionable time travel shenanigans going on, but I'm not going to let that bother me. I did however really enjoy the ending. The entire Yggdragon scene was fantastic.

The game perhaps should have ended with Act 2. I get the desire to have a completely happy ending where Veronica and everyone else is alive, but it also resulted in an arc that was kind of a drag - at least for me. Overall, though, it's an incredible game and very close to a perfect 10/10 for me.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Finally got Poker Streaker. On the way there I nabbed three Royal Jelly Flushes, amassed 1.2 million in tokens, and 30,000 G from selling earrings and belts. I'm exhausted.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So were the taverns going to have some kind of associated feature that got cut? There's one in most of the towns, and they all have a sign in front of them like the item shops and inns and whatnot, but they don't seem to have any relevance (unless I'm not far enough in or something)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Are all the songs orchestrated? Just curious, only thing that hasn't been so far in 5 hours has been the night theme for one of the towns.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
One of the best JRPGs I've ever played. This is not a game I will easily forget.

However, I do think Act 3 was a little weak. It's very unclear what exactly you need to do, and most of the time you're just doing what you did in Act 2 but shorter. Forging the second Sword of Light was an absolute pain for me because I didn't realize you needed a specific kind of orichalcum (which is apparently a change in the Switch version from what I can tell). There really should be a recipe for the normal Sword of Light to make it a little clearer.

In addition, there's no indication of how to benefit from the Super Sword of Light against Calasmos. I'm pretty sure that was the first time in the entire game I used the Item menu to pick a weapon instead of a consumable.

There's also some questionable time travel shenanigans going on, but I'm not going to let that bother me. I did however really enjoy the ending. The entire Yggdragon scene was fantastic.

The game perhaps should have ended with Act 2. I get the desire to have a completely happy ending where Veronica and everyone else is alive, but it also resulted in an arc that was kind of a drag - at least for me. Overall, though, it's an incredible game and very close to a perfect 10/10 for me.
I forgot to use the sword against Calasmos lol

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree that Act 3 is kinda weak story wise in many points, like Veronica coming back. But using the sword as an item thing is a staple in the Dragon Quest series and XI pays homage a lot to previous games. It's funny that they never say directly to the player that you can use weapons like that, but maybe they assume you eventually learn it considering many weapons have that in their description.

But yes, it's weird that the Super Sword of Light can't do it too.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
So I played the PS4 version for about 35 hours, not quite the end of Act 1. I am planning on playing 2d mode in this version until I catch up to where I was becuse it seems to be quicker. Will I miss any items or anything by playing the 2d mode?

Oct 25, 2017
So I played the PS4 version for about 35 hours, not quite the end of Act 1. I am planning on playing 2d mode in this version until I catch up to where I was becuse it seems to be quicker. Will I miss any items or anything by playing the 2d mode?

You lose horseracing and voice acting, but get a way better flying mode. I think that's it?

I think you also lose the new mid-battle quotes/banter? I haven't played it though so I'm not sure.

TheNormalMan

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was originally going to do this, but I actually found myself missing the 3D presentation. You do miss a lot more overworld sparkly spots which then makes it harder to buy crafting items (a feature new to Switch) in the Fun Size Forge menu. I also found myself dying a lot in 2D Mode because I'd be trying to rush through battles and the text speed would fly by. 2D also has random encounters which I started to get annoyed with. In 3D I'd just avoid enemies and I found myself enjoying the "laidbackness" of it.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My tv suffered internal screen damage while playing this last night :(. At least I can still play this on the switch. (Rip my Sony Bravia 43x800D series tv)

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the Battleground didn't have a boss? I guess the sheer length makes up for it, but I can't help but feel disappointed.

Lol, the game just gave me Gallopolis and Hotto as Zoom points since I didn't bother fucking around past Gondolia (I wanted my party back asap). Am I going to be overleveled if I go through to try and fill out my Bestiary? Squad is around Lv. 43 rn

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. So what happened to your TV, if I may ask?
Its showing part of the top screen at the bottom of the screen . This happened while i was in the forge making Sylv some armor. It basically copies whatever is at the top and jitters a bit
20191010_155848.jpg

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any guide for tockles? I've seen them all around the world but I forget where they are.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any guide for tockles? I've seen them all around the world but I forget where they are.
If you're trying to do Tickington quests, you don't need to do any backtracking. They'll show up along the way and shouldn't take too much searching.

If you open the menu to Misc. -> Info -> Pastwords, it'll show you which places you've been to that have Tockles, though some Tockles may be inaccessible and require later backtracking.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
If you're trying to do Tickington quests, you don't need to do any backtracking. They'll show up along the way and shouldn't take too much searching.

If you open the menu to Misc. -> Info -> Pastwords, it'll show you which places you've been to that have Tockles, though some Tockles may be inaccessible and require later backtracking.
Ok, thanks! Good to know. Is there any way to turn off 2D or random encounters for the Tickington quests?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
So were the taverns going to have some kind of associated feature that got cut? There's one in most of the towns, and they all have a sign in front of them like the item shops and inns and whatnot, but they don't seem to have any relevance (unless I'm not far enough in or something)

It's a DQ staple, they don't typically have specific uses or anything. They're just full of NPCs.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
that professor dragon enemy is one of the slickest enemy designs I've seen lol.dragon quest team would shure make an awesome pokemon like game with those amazing enemy designs

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't interact with them before because I hadn't reached Tickington yet. How do I view them on my map? The tockle said there was a way.

There are no interactable Tockles before your reach Tickington. There are other Tockles in the game that are there for main story reasons, you can't ever interact with them (I believe, I'm nearly done the game).

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Just escaped the heliodor sewers.

Looking forward to coming back for that (I assume optional) dragon at endgame. Big boy is going down.