• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I bought DQ XI S at launch and have slowly been working my way through it.
Right now I just finished the quest in
Gallopolis

I'm enjoying the game so far, I hope I can put some more time into it when the holidays arrive.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I had everyone wearing 2 +3 Full Moon Collars.

On a related note it's annoying how there are no easily accessible guides or wikis for this game. I was trying to look up whether Full Moon Rings or Collars had the better paralysis resist value but I can't find that info anywhere.
Full Moon Rings give +30% standard and +50% at +3, while Full Moon Collars give +10% standard and +25% at +3.

You can check equipment details from whatever menu - equipping characters, shops, forging - by pressing Y to check stats, where it's found, and possible quality improvements. There's also a spreadsheet with details (and spoilers, obviously) based on the original release.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Full Moon Rings give +30% standard and +50% at +3, while Full Moon Collars give +10% standard and +25% at +3.

You can check equipment details from whatever menu - equipping characters, shops, forging - by pressing Y to check stats, where it's found, and possible quality improvements. There's also a spreadsheet with details (and spoilers, obviously) based on the original release.

Oh I know how to check it in game, I was just trying to find it online since I don't have the game with me at the moment.

That spreadsheet is exactly what I was looking for!

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Priest: the Vikings treated kids like slaves

Also priest: I can't tell if that was a good or bad thing for
Erik
Makes you think🤔

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its pretty easy, but to make it incredibly easy you need both pep and pip pops.

Start with Rab, Jade, Sylavando, Erik. Use your pep pop so all 4 are powered up. Swap hero for Rab. Use Hero's ability to pep up. Use the combo ability Haulellujah. Now, swap Erik out for Rab. Have hero use the ability to pep up again, and have Jade use the Pip pop on herself. Now, use Electro Light. Hopefully 3 metal monsters appear. Have Rab use his Pep ability that puts enemies to sleep.

Now just use abilities like critical claim, hatchet man, or lightning thrust to kill the sleeping metal monsters. I went from 60-82 in maybe an hour and a half? Depends on how often electro light gave me machines instead of metals. I just reset on those situations.

Get Hero, Jade, Sylvando and Rab pepped up. Switch each character out of your lineup when they get pepped up. Then head to a campsite and save your game. Take all four into battle and use the pep power Electro Light. If you get shafted and don't get metal slimes reload. Next use Rabs pep power to attempt to force all the slimes to sleep. After that just use your best abilities to try and crit the buggers. :)

Thanks for the information! I greatly appreciate it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
72h and I beat act 2

mordegon fucking sucks. I get evil for evil's sake kinda villains, but there was fucking nothing to him. shit, might as well have been Jasper as the main villain

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm at the point of recruiting Jade and Rab and really enjoying the game, I only have two complaints so far

1. I really didn't like Gemma
2. Skill points are given in small amounts and most skills cost 10-20 points so you have to level up many times before you can buy any new skills.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Had to take a break for the night. Start of Act 2 really drags. Not sure I'm a fan of how it was handled with

Splitting up the party members and basically making you start over

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Had to take a break for the night. Start of Act 2 really drags. Not sure I'm a fan of how it was handled with

Splitting up the party members and basically making you start over

Part of the problem with that is
all those character episodes were added to the switch version. It's why they feel so out of place and pace breaking

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Part of the problem with that is
all those character episodes were added to the switch version. It's why they feel so out of place and pace breaking

I actually liked the character episodes. I got to control other characters, I thought the stories were fun and it was nice to have the player character not stand around like an expressionless dumbass when big events were unfolding.
I don't like the start of act 2, it just feels like restarting the game. It's way too slow. I don't want to pick up all the party members town by town again. No horse whistle, no nose for treasure, Fun Size Forge now sucks cause I don't have anyone to make armor for. The premise is weak and has bought the game to a screeching halt.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Trying to hype myself up to fight the Switch exclusive super boss.
... And by hype myself up, I mean work up the will to farm MP Seeds.

Finally beat the final boss in Act 3.
I wouldn't say it wasn't worth it but it definitely lowered my impression of DQXI. The big character moments from Act 2 are repeated in truncated and less impactful ways in Act 3, that I began to feel indifferent toward them. The mystery of the original Luminary and his buddies is alright but all their personalities are very plain and despite the game's efforts, I didn't really care for them. Calasmos is a big ball in the sky of IDONTUSESPACESTOTALK. Even less compelling than Mordegan, who at least seemed to be having fun causing chaos. Calasmos even had the gall to end his boss fight with "There's always light and dark, you'll never truly defeat me!" That's not what I want to hear when I'm about to beat the game!

Having Veronica back is great, Drustan's comments on wishes was worth a chuckle, the Cobblestone marriage/life partner scenes are delightful and I liked wandering town to see what the NPCs had to say about it (although it's weird that everyone gets amnesia about who you married before but it's a fair trade to be able to change your mind about who you pick), and having a free form world trot to solve various DQ style problems (the dancing town and talking to the townspeople for their reactions was cute) was a pleasant post game experience. As a way to close out the plot, it's kinda a bummer though.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I understand they got rid of campsite shortcuts in 2D-version to make the game feel more traditional, but man is it a drag to walk back to First Forest from Arboria after finishing quests there. Especially because you can't avoid monsters as there are random encounters.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I understand they got rid of campsite shortcuts in 2D-version to make the game feel more traditional, but man is it a drag to walk back to First Forest from Arboria after finishing quests there. Especially because you can't avoid monsters as there are random encounters.

What a stupid design, traditional dragon quest didn't have quests repeatedly sending you back to old areas

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I actually liked the character episodes. I got to control other characters, I thought the stories were fun and it was nice to have the player character not stand around like an expressionless dumbass when big events were unfolding.
I don't like the start of act 2, it just feels like restarting the game. It's way too slow. I don't want to pick up all the party members town by town again. No horse whistle, no nose for treasure, Fun Size Forge now sucks cause I don't have anyone to make armor for. The premise is weak and has bought the game to a screeching halt.

Oh no I complete disagree with that, it reminds me of the equally brilliant (spoiler for a main numbered final fantasy game)
Final Fantasy 6 which also has the villain win, the world ripped apart, and you have to reexplore a destroyed world to find everyone to take a chance at saving the world

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I think I'm at the point of recruiting Jade and Rab and really enjoying the game, I only have two complaints so far

2. Skill points are given in small amounts and most skills cost 10-20 points so you have to level up many times before you can buy any new skills.

You can reset your skill points and also you'll get more points as you progress.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Well it's a good thing you're playing the switch version then for the first point

And the further you get into the game the more points you earn from leveling up. I do admit I often go a few levels before looking at the character builder.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm in the middle of act 3 now and I'm kind of torn on it.
I like the basic concept of "you know this world now, go figure out what to do." I've been just messing around, rebuilt cobblestone, visited Angri La, visited Hotto, etc. it's kind of cool to fix the problems with your future knowledge. That being said, I get the complaints about the party. Hendrik is basically a different character now, Serena isn't nearly as useful in battle, etc etc etc. I kind of wish they leaned harder into the alt timeline stuff to emphasize this isn't your squad. Feels like a missed opportunity, especially with how adamant they all were that you not go back in time originally. The time travel is an interesting storytelling device, but it's underbaked.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I completely agree with this.

Early Act 2 was the only part of the entire game I didn't enjoy. Thankfully I started to enjoy it a lot more as soon as I got my 5th party member back. Starts to feel like it hits its stride again at that point.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
One of my favorite parts about the character episodes was how everyone has different jumping voice clips. Sylvando, for example, can say "Olé!" or "Arriba!"

Oh, and Rab's dashing animation lol.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I thought this was actually pretty clever in that it encourages you to look at the whole board after each level up and see if that extra 3 points you just got lets you respec into a cool combination.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing different totals different places I look, anyone how many Mini Medals, Recipe Books, and Quests I should have at the end of Act 1?

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get all my "Nose for Treasure" numbers down to 0, but for the meaningful stuff I'd rather have it all before I continue.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
at this point most of my characters are at level 80 and I am sufficiently overwhelmed with everything to do in act three so I think I'm just going to make a backup save to revisit at some point and just forge onward to complete the story for now. Is there anything necessary that I need to do that will help me breeze through the final boss?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
The Dish Served Cold sidequest is bullshit. I've fought over 20+ killing machines and still no sign of the enemy I need. I fought them in and around the fjord, at night and during the day, and still no luck. Am I missing something, or is my RNG luck just really bad?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Came up against my first Tockington side quest tonight, I do not enjoy playing that game in 2d..those random battles are absolutely not for me.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I went through the entire goddamn library in Sniflheim and was really disappointed when i reached the end and found nothing.
I thought "damn, this is probably a story dungeon i come to later, at least I've cleared the way with all the switches and stuff and can just run through later on"

NOPE. ALL THE SWITCHES AND DOORS HAVE RESET.

I'm sorry but that is shit game design. Absolute steaming shit. Dont let me go in there if is not relevant yet. God fucking damn it

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I went through the entire goddamn library in Sniflheim and was really disappointed when i reached the end and found nothing.
I thought "damn, this is probably a story dungeon i come to later, at least I've cleared the way with all the switches and stuff and can just run through later on"

I'm sorry but that is shit game design. Absolute steaming shit. Dont let me go in there if is not relevant yet. God fucking damn it
Same thing happened to me but it didn't take that long to get through the second time.
Yes it was annoying though

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm seeing different totals different places I look, anyone how many Mini Medals, Recipe Books, and Quests I should have at the end of Act 1?

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get all my "Nose for Treasure" numbers down to 0, but for the meaningful stuff I'd rather have it all before I continue.
Mini-medals: 55
Recipes: No idea, but if you are as thorough as you say you probably got them all.
Quests: All of the non-Tickington ones you see in your Quest Catalogue.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, when you all played through this game, did you always have direct control over every character in battle, or did you use the automated AI option?

At the moment I'm controlling them all because I like being able to choose which abilities to use and when, but I'm starting to wonder if I should maybe let the AI take over for a bit.

The more I type this, the more I realise what a ridiculous question this sounds as I realise it will just come down to personal preference haha

Clara

Oct 25, 2017
The Dish Served Cold sidequest is bullshit. I've fought over 20+ killing machines and still no sign of the enemy I need. I fought them in and around the fjord, at night and during the day, and still no luck. Am I missing something, or is my RNG luck just really bad?

It's all down to RNG, unfortunately. I got mine on the frozen lake at night in several playthroughs, though it took a while each time. Other people have reported finding them at other times of day even outside of the lake.

There are a couple items that (slightly) increase rare monster rates, but one you can only get near the end of Act 2 and the other is Act 3 only.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
L
Just out of curiosity, when you all played through this game, did you always have direct control over every character in battle, or did you use the automated AI option?

At the moment I'm controlling them all because I like being able to choose which abilities to use and when, but I'm starting to wonder if I should maybe let the AI take over for a bit.

The more I type this, the more I realise what a ridiculous question this sounds as I realise it will just come down to personal preference haha

I like to control everyone except my healer (usually Serena) who I typically set to focus on healing.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

This how I do it.

For grinding I set

Everyone show no mercy except rab and serena I set them fight wisely

Boss fights I take full control.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
It's all down to RNG, unfortunately. I got mine on the frozen lake at night in several playthroughs, though it took a while each time. Other people have reported finding them at other times of day even outside of the lake.

There are a couple items that (slightly) increase rare monster rates, but one you can only get near the end of Act 2 and the other is Act 3 only.
Finally got it! Changed the time to dusk and found it on my third encounter.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I really want to 100% all side quests but I kinda don't like being in 2D. I'm not a fan of random battles and just the slower pace of 2D. So Tockington is gonna be a slog.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
they want me to make sword of light ,but they say I don't have everything I need... but they never explained what I need in the first place.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Priest: the Vikings treated kids like slaves

Also priest: I can't tell if that was a good or bad thing for
Erik
Makes you think🤔

Yeah I was like what the fuck? The town folks were saying that the Vikings were amazing but the game said otherwise.

I think it's just bad writing because even after that the Viking got off way too easy.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Lol the same happened to me, but at least I already knew how to get through it so it wasn't too bad.

I'm in the middle of Act 3 now and I gotta grind a bit, I'm underlevelled oof

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

There are a couple side quests later that have you doing all of that all over again. Pain in the ass dungeon.

Thank god that they got rid of random encounters.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I have a question.

I am in Act 2, after Arborea, on Harder Monsters.

In what should I specialize Serena ?
Wands is probably the way to go, if only so she can equip a shield.
they want me to make sword of light ,but they say I don't have everything I need... but they never explained what I need in the first place.
You need the orichalcum from the Battleground and the Forging Hammer from Gallopolis.

Deleted member 19782

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was like what the fuck? The town folks were saying that the Vikings were amazing but the game said otherwise.

I think it's just bad writing because even after that the Viking got off way too easy.

Apparently, every human was good after all even if they killed people and did a lot of fucked up things. The power of forgiveness!

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After four losses in the Black Cup on Difficult the guy said "well, you came in second, but you're so cool, we'll act like you won" and it gave me star on the race as well as the Wings of Serendipity. Is this specific to this race, or is this a pity mechanic in place for all the races, or what?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
After four losses in the Black Cup on Difficult the guy said "well, you came in second, but you're so cool, we'll act like you won" and it gave me star on the race as well as the Wings of Serendipity. Is this specific to this race, or is this a pity mechanic in place for all the races, or what?

They added stuff to make it easier in the Switch version, so maybe this is part of it?

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
at this point most of my characters are at level 80 and I am sufficiently overwhelmed with everything to do in act three so I think I'm just going to make a backup save to revisit at some point and just forge onward to complete the story for now. Is there anything necessary that I need to do that will help me breeze through the final boss?
If you just follow the story naturally then you'll be fine. You're already a much higher level than necessary for the final boss imo.
Just don't forget to have the Super Sword of Light in the Hero's inventory like I did