• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wait really? This is my first DQ game so im unaware lol
This is my first mainline game, but according to the wiki, they've had them as costumes since DQVI. I do know in Dragon Quest Builders 2, the bunny outfit plays a role on one of the islands (an island full of horny bros), and is one of my least favorite aspects of the game. I did get the black bunny suit for the side quest in Puerto Valor, but only put it on so I could show the dude. I hate it so much.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Is it just me or the resolution in the portable mode has improved since the patch?
Game looks a little cleaner.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Wait really? This is my first DQ game so im unaware lol
As far as I can tell it's a Toriyama thing. Like the puff-puff jokes and other things. It's distasteful (or at the very least of questionable taste) but it's "tradition".

And yeah, Jade is poorly handled overall.

Edit: I hate how so many of her attacks end up sending love-hearts 🤦‍♀️

Also it would have been so much cooler if Sylvia was the higher charm character (I didn't check the base stats but I'm pretty sure he's behind her).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Jade's character development basically amounts to the developers putting her in a bunny suit and then having her stand in the background of every scene. All the character get significant development except her. It sucks.
As far as I can tell it's a Toriyama thing. Like the puff-puff jokes and other things. It's distasteful (or at the very least of questionable taste) but it's "tradition".

And yeah, Jade is poorly handled overall.

Edit: I hate how so many of her attacks end up sending love-hearts 🤦‍♀️

Also it would have been so much cooler if Sylvia was the higher charm character (I didn't check the base stats but I'm pretty sure he's behind her).
Its a shame, she has a cool design to me and is one of my fave characters so far. Its the only major flaw i have with the game so far i think (oh yea and how easily they forgave that guy in Octogonia,that was dumb as hell)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Anyone have a good order for tackling act 3? Thus far I keep running into buzz saws outside of octogonia which I was able to beat the boss there without much effort.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Its a shame, she has a cool design to me and is one of my fave characters so far. Its the only major flaw i have with the game so far i think (oh yea and how easily they forgave that guy in Octogonia,that was dumb as hell)
She had potential but her base visual design has a ton of issues to begin with. I mean it's technically great but it has a belly window, boob enhancing clothing, some variant of zettai ryouiki, high heels, open shoulders and, well, just skin showing everywhere.

It's pretty clear she wasn't designed to be a badass warrior but a badass sexy warrior.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
She had potential but her base visual design has a ton of issues to begin with. I mean it's technically great but it has a belly window, boob enhancing clothing, some variant of zettai ryouiki, high heels, open shoulders and, well, just skin showing everywhere.

It's pretty clear she wasn't designed to be a badass warrior but a badass sexy warrior.
Oddly enough, Toriyama toned down the sexy from the base sketch he was given.

It just stands out because Jade seems annoyed when they call on her to be "sexy". The Allure branch doesn't match her character in the story which is too bad because DQ11 has some killer story beats reflected in skill tree changes.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Oddly enough, Toriyama toned down the sexy from the base sketch he was given.

It just stands out because Jade seems annoyed when they call on her to be "sexy". The Allure branch doesn't match her character in the story which is too bad because DQ11 has some killer story beats reflected in skill tree changes.
Interesting anecdote. Toriyama never was one of the most pervy ones if I'm not mistaken. But if the request is to make a sexy design 🤷‍♀️

And yeah I was just wtf when her first-or-so unlockable attack was one of hip-ass moves with a big love-heart 🤦‍♀️

I mean the moment I saw that I knew where they were going with her.

Then again DQ isn't exactly known for its progressive undertones (understatement of the century) but it already has no parity (even if we count Sylvia as gender-fluid) so the badass female warrior having so much sexualization was even more disappointing.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me Crystolotl is more manageable without the Stronger Monsters mod. This is the first time I've actually hit a wall in a non-Tickington quest with this mod on. Though I'm still somewhat 'early' in Act 3 and I just got the Blind Man Buff buffed and Hendrick's and Sylv's skills upgrade. I just wanted to boost Serena's mending before taking on other quests.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the game (not 100%): A total of 123 hours with 27 minutes.

One of my favorite games of all time. I'll miss these characters.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone find Jade being forced to wear that outfit in the interlude side stories between Act 1 and 2 really wierd?
To be honest, I've found this chapter absolutely gross. Maybe I am overreacting, but the game asks you THREE times whether you're going to put it on or not and it just forces you into knowing full well how messed up it is. This is not world building, but a game developer forcing you to choose an uncomfortable option without ANY meaningful contribution to the narrative (and deliberately robbing the player of any agency, which I thought was particularly damning).

I finished it, but I was very close to just giving up on the entire game. Sugiyama is bad enough.

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I've found this chapter absolutely gross. Maybe I am overreacting, but the game asks you THREE times whether you're going to put it on or not and it just forces you into knowing full well how messed up it is. This is not world building, but a game developer forcing you to choose an uncomfortable option without ANY meaningful contribution to the narrative (and deliberately robbing the player of any agency, which I thought was particularly damning).

I finished it, but I was very close to just giving up on the entire game. Sugiyama is bad enough.
Yea i tried refusing it too and it still froced it on me. I even tried taking it off after but nope "itsss cuurrrssseddd"

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017

Dragon Quest is pretty coy about their "but thou must!" Yes/No dialogue choices and it's usually pretty cute but yeah, offering a choice there was depressing.

The wastefulness of those sequences comes in full effect in Act 2 when everyone gets a shot at forging the sword of light and saying a line that sums up their motivations and character moment. Erik talks about forgiveness and his sister, Serena talks about going on without Veronica etc. But there is no meaningful lesson to be learned from being forced into a bunny outfit so Jade just says a generic "I'm helping the hero by standing by his side" line.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
From what past Dragon Quest is the music that plays when
when Cobblestone is destroyed
? and what's the name?

The orchestral version in DQXIS is hauntingly beautiful.

EDIT:
Wait it seems it is an original composition for DQXI, named "Dusk in the heath":

Last edited:

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Durstan's Trials. Now I can craft the best weapons. The final boss was complete bullshit. He never gave me enough time to heal and Kawthack always seems to hit.

Last edited:

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Okay everyone, I need some help with Booga.

Before this, I've maybe seen a continue screen once or twice, but these Jinxed Jade and Booga back to back fights are killing me.

Any tips?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely hooked. Just finished act 1 and played all the interlude stuff. I've been using Greatsword with the main character, what do you guys think about greatsword at endgame? Should I stick with it?

Should I start transitioning towards Sword and shield or dual weild? If so, when should I?

I'm level 38 and about to:
leave last bastion with hendrik after retaking heliodor castle

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely hooked. Just finished act 1 and played all the interlude stuff. I've been using Greatsword with the main character, what do you guys think about greatsword at endgame? Should I stick with it?

Should I start transitioning towards Sword and shield or dual weild? If so, when should I?

I'm level 38 and about to:
leave last bastion with hendrik after retaking heliodor castle

I went Greatsword all the way and never looked back. Really works out well for the Luminary.

Also, you get so many skill points later on you can easily put some in Sword later.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017

Before this, I've maybe seen a continue screen once or twice, but these Jinxed Jade and Booga back to back fights are killing me.

Any tips?
I did this yesterday. What level are you? I just spammed multithrust with Jade. Was level 36.

I went Greatsword all the way and never looked back. Really works out well for the Luminary.

Also, you get so many skill points later on you can easily put some in Sword later.

I tried both and yeah, up to this point I really think the Greatsword outclasses the sword or sword and shield.

But since the ultimate weapon for the hero is a one handed sword, I thought that maybe he was "meant" to be using that.

Thanks for the input.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

Any tips?
Are you reloading from an autosave when you die? If I remember correctly you only have to do the second fight if you reload from your last regular save, which makes things quite a bit easier.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Are you reloading from an autosave when you die? If I remember correctly you only have to do the second fight if you reload from your last regular save, which makes things quite a bit easier.
Even if that were true, I still wind up getting schooled by him. He attacks 3 times in a row with the dance, showing the third eye, and then Drain Magic. In 3 turns I wind up playing catch up, trying to heal and still do enough damage with MP attacks before it's all drained. I can't manage to get the upper hand in this fight.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the bonus bosses in the dungeons you went through is some bullshit. there's no way to know what level you're supposed to even be at

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Dragon Quest is pretty coy about their "but thou must!" Yes/No dialogue choices and it's usually pretty cute but yeah, offering a choice there was depressing.

The wastefulness of those sequences comes in full effect in Act 2 when everyone gets a shot at forging the sword of light and saying a line that sums up their motivations and character moment. Erik talks about forgiveness and his sister, Serena talks about going on without Veronica etc. But there is no meaningful lesson to be learned from being forced into a bunny outfit so Jade just says a generic "I'm helping the hero by standing by his side" line.

"Jade's agency is informed by her being unable to protect the Luminary as a baby. It sort of culminates when she protects him from Hendrik and when she jumps off a cliff to catch him, saying something about never letting him go again. With this in mind, her comment at the Forge is an epiphany. She'a dedicated her whole life to finding the Luminary and protect him, but she now knows that she doesn't have to do that alone. She doesn't have to be the only one doing the protecting; they protect each other. She doesn't have to lead the way for him or be right behind him as she supports him; their proper place is by each other's side and supporting each other.

Now, does that make up for how she is presented in Act 2 and onwards or how her Allure skillset seemingly conflicts with her assumed characterization? No. However, at the same time, Jade has layers that deserve recognition, I think.

Anyway, now that I've gotten all the accolades, I'll do a 2D run before finally saying goodbye to this amazing game.

Last edited:

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
the bonus bosses in the dungeons you went through is some bullshit. there's no way to know what level you're supposed to even be at
Are you referring to the boss fights scattered around the world? If so, if you were able to beat the act 2 boss, then you should already be a high-enough level to beat these bosses as well.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Historically I have not been a huge JRPG guy. I love Pokemon. I beat Final Fantasy IV on PSP back in the day. I got to the final boss in Dragon Quest IX but realized I was horribly under levelled and gave up. I've started but didn't get far with lots of JRPGs like Ni No Kuni, Xenoblade, one of the PS3 Trials games, Persona 4 Golden, etc. That was about it with my JRPG experience. And then last year I played Persona 5, and I got REALLY into it. This year I played Final Fantasy XII and got REALLY into it. I also played Dragon Quest Builders 2 and, yep, you guess it, I got REALLY into it. My new found love of JRPGs culminated in a full play through of Dragon Quest XI which I completed (not 100% but got the true ending) last night. Here are my thoughts:
This game is fantastic. I saw the Tim Rogers reviewed where he said this game contains it's own sequels, which I didn't understand at the time, but I get it now, each act almost works on it's own as a game. I found the new content at the start of act 2 to be the slowest, least interesting, part of the game. As much as I like Sylvando, Eric, Rab, and Jade, all of this content felt like padding and was holding me back from getting my party together. I really did enjoy Serena in the second half of act 2, she was a bad ass and I wish she could have stayed like that. Previous to that I had been using Rab but I think Serena, even without Veronica's powers, is a more useful healer. Also, thanks for the people that recommended getting two falcon blades, perfecting them, and getting dual wielding. I was using falcon blades on my hero through end of act 1, all of 2, and most of 3.
The only time I ever really got frustrated was with the final boss. I took down all three bosses of the Trials in the first try, yet according to the internet, I was about 7 levels too low to take on the final boss. So my last few hours of the game were spent farming metal slimes, which isn't the best way to end your experience with the game, IMHO.
The end of the game is the beginning of DQ3 right? I was thinking this game took place after DQ3 since apparently the original Luminary, Serenica, etc, were all modelled after DQ3 sprites.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I really wish there was a way to set it to shuffle the overworld music randomly, even if it was just shuffling between the midi, orchestrated and DQVIII themes. Just SOME variety every time I zone into a zone that supports it would be nice.

I don't want to have to go into the options and change it manually. I want it to change for me so I just hear all of them at various times.

Also it's weird they moved the copyright text on the screenshots to the top rather than the bottom of the photos/videos. That update did that I assume?

Oct 27, 2017
"Jade's agency is informed by her being unable to protect the Luminary as a baby. It sort of culminates when she protects him from Hendrik and when she jumps off a cliff to catch him, saying something about never letting him go again. With this in mind, her comment at the Forge is an epiphany. She'a dedicated her whole life to finding the Luminary and protect him, but she now knows that she doesn't have to do that alone. She doesn't have to be the only one doing the protecting; they protect each other. She doesn't have to lead the way for him or be right behind him as she supports him; their proper place is by each other's side and supporting each other.

Now, does that make up for how she is presented in Act 2 and onwards or how her Allure skillset seemingly conflicts with her assumed characterization? No. However, at the same time, Jade has layers that deserve recognition, I think.

Anyway, now that I've gotten all the accolades, I'll do a 2D run before finally saying goodbye to this amazing game.
But the problem is everyone else has those layers too and the game continues to build on them. She has a great introduction, like you mentioned, but I don't think "she realizes she has friends now" cuts it when you look at the rest of the cast. She starts out so promising and they just let it all slip away. It's pretty disappointing.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
But the problem is everyone else has those layers too and the game continues to build on them. She has a great introduction, like you mentioned, but I don't think "she realizes she has friends now" cuts it when you look at the rest of the cast. She starts out so promising and they just let it all slip away. It's pretty disappointing.

Definitely. She is definitely a wasted character, but I was just saying that she's not an empty character. She does have an arc. That being said, my biggest problem with her Act 2 portrayal is the manner in which they enacted role reversal. In Act 1, she was the protector. Then she became the one being protected. And while this allows for the realization that she doesn't have to be alone and that she doesn't have to do everything, it simultaneously opened up issues of being the damsel in distress, the exploitation of vulnerability and whether that's justified, going the sexualization route and whether that's warranted, etc.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
On the switch version, where do you get the Trodain set? I thought you could start with it.

edit: I found out I had to claim the items in the system settings

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
god, the tweedledoom and tweedledeath fight in act 3 is the worst designed garbage in the entire game on stronger enemies. literally impossible to do at a reasonable level unless you get profoundly lucky.

First thing I tried to do after a week or so away from the game breezing through Dark Souls and this is what makes me want to break my Switch in half. Unbelievably frustrating and poor design.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just got through the extra scenarios. Think I liked Erik's most, short and sweet. Was wondering where the hell I was the whole time. Syl's kinda dragged on for a while, don't know why they had to stretch it across the whole continent. Rab's was nice (though I feel it was a bit too spoilery about locations/characters to come, but the game isn't really made for first time players), and Jade's was just meh, but I don't really like anything involving that location really.

I'm glad they were added though. Makes me wish that because of the work done here that they would then let you run around controlling characters that aren't the hero for the rest of the game.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Split Pot Poker or Heaven's Talon for Jade? The 25% heal from the talon is nice, but I have healers who can do that. I'm thinking the Poker for the extra damage and charm

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Veronica dying was an absolute gut punch, goddamn. After slowly piecing together your party, for her to be the only one left to get and then you realize she has been dead the whole time. Fuck!

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Wow, just wow.

Just finished the game and I'm completely blown away by the entire experience. It's an absolute crime people are missing out on this game. It's easily in my top three RPGs of all time, and might even be the single greatest Dragon Quest game in the mainline series (I have played and completed I - IX).

I'm just absolutely blown away. If you're on the fence, please buy this game on Switch, you will not be disappointed.

Why did this OT move to the gaming hangouts section? Seems weird to me.

Nov 7, 2019
There is a 2D mode? Very cool.

I would buy this game if this version was on PC and had 60fps support for both 3D and 2D modes.

Critically, also if I could choose a different hair style for the main character. One that is a normal, manly hairstyle. The current one is so ugly, so hideous that I have totally boycotted playing this game even though it was otherwise a must-play for me.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
Music question...

I recognize this track from a previous game, but can't remember which game it is from. It's from the Erik/Healijah dungeon part.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
So on the last Harma Trial, is character 8 supposed to miss everything? Pang never gets hit. The luminary is fine.

Edit: Beat Act 3! The final boss wasn't too hard. I didn't end up getting all the best weapons because I didn't feel like grinding for mats(Uber agate). Finished the game! I might come back later and complete the bestiary/tockles/anything else that needs to be done.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
So on the last Harma Trial, is character 8 supposed to miss everything? Pang never gets hit. The luminary is fine.

Edit: Beat Act 3! The final boss wasn't too hard. I didn't end up getting all the best weapons because I didn't feel like grinding for mats(Uber agate). Finished the game! I might come back later and complete the bestiary/tockles/anything else that needs to be done.

Did you use the Super Sword of Light as an item at the start of the fight?

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Music question...

I recognize this track from a previous game, but can't remember which game it is from. It's from the Erik/Healijah dungeon part.

It's one of these:

Her evasion rate becomes insane during sword stance that even the Hero misses a lot on Stronger Monsters. I had to be creative with my second guy there while Hero spammed Ultimate Power.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
any down sides if you switch your marriage/partnership ? I want to see all the cutscenes. Went with Gemma because its the obvious choice. Maybe I'll just watch them on YouTube.