• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I bought DQ11 a while back on PC and didn't really give it much of a shot. Didn't even finish the first major mission I'm sure you're all familiar with.

That said, I was really hankering for a jrpg on my Switch and I'll be damned if this isn't fitting the bill. I was looking for something to curl up on the couch with the dog with.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I beat the final Wheel of Harma trial with everyone in the early 70s, super impressed I pulled it off, the final battle with Serena and Veronica came close.

Gonna build some stuff, finish some quests, and beat the main story.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Okay was having an easy time till Archatogan, the boss than spams confuse every turn from the get go. Any tips? Sucks when he can stunlock my entire party and wipe them out in a couple of turns.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I finally beat the game. I got it at launch with the demo beaten already.

Right now... I am just happy to be done with it. The game overstayed its welcome by good 16 hours if not more - Act 2 was plain terrible and it almost made me give up on the game entirely - not only story wise it wasn't an effective twist - it also made you go through the same world for the second time in duller colours, when the Act 1 was so well paced and constantly had something new to offer. Act 3 wasn't really an act.

Towards the end, I was just running past the enemies because there's only so much of this system you can take before you get bored. Also how Tim Rogers perfectly describe the game, it works best when it feels like sitting to an episode of an anime and enjoying it in bits, but the game's structure sort of fell apart after Act 1. It's a pity.

These games really do not need to be an almost 70 hours experience. This is why I am going to most likely stay away from Persona 5 even though 4 is one of my favourite games ever - I just do not have time for a 100+hr game. DQ was at least portable (and it felt so good to play in your hands).

That being said, when I loved DQXI, it was one of my favourite jRPGs I have ever played. I think now that I can explore the post game content at my own pace and game world will be more Act 1-like, I will have similarly better feeling about it again. But that and the 2D mode will have to wait few months.

EDIT: Also what they did to my girl Jade over the course of the game... eh. :(

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I asked this question before, but quite a bit of time has passed and maybe some more have had a chance to try it out, even play it late game. But how many of you have tried the 'no buying' Draconian option?

My situation is I played the demo back in August/September of last year with the 'harder monsters' option and ended up loving and purchasing the game. However, I haven't started it yet (except the demo). But I am thinking of doing the demo again, this time with the 'harder monsters' still, but also the 'no buying' option, as well.

For those whom have tried it, especially kept it late game, what is your opinion on it?

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I gave act 3 the old college try, but I'm just done with the game. Enjoyed my time with it (67 hours) but I'm just not invested enough in it to go back through the same areas and recycled bosses when I have so many other games I want to get to. Very good and charming game, I just struggle with single player games longer than 40 hours or so these days--that I got so far past that is a testament to its quality overall.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave act 3 the old college try, but I'm just done with the game. Enjoyed my time with it (67 hours) but I'm just not invested enough in it to go back through the same areas and recycled bosses when I have so many other games I want to get to. Very good and charming game, I just struggle with single player games longer than 40 hours or so these days--that I got so far past that is a testament to its quality overall.
I'm finding myself to be much of the same. I know people said that your endgame level is enough for the bosses, but I'm getting my ass kicked and grinding isn't particularly fun or easy in this game (since finding metal slimes is pretty dang hard).

besides, for me, the story ends at Act 2. Act 3 kinda ruined the build up and payoff despite going into more detail about some stuff

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I'm finding myself to be much of the same. I know people said that your endgame level is enough for the bosses, but I'm getting my ass kicked and grinding isn't particularly fun or easy in this game (since finding metal slimes is pretty dang hard).

besides, for me, the story ends at Act 2. Act 3 kinda ruined the build up and payoff despite going into more detail about some stuff
Actually, grinding is easier in this game than in most of JRPGs. Hero, Sylvando and Jade have a pep ability called "Electrolight" or something (don't know its name in English) which has a chance to transform every enemies in a battle in metal slime, liquid slime and such.

And the story ends at the act 3, without it you don't get the full picture. Tho I guess it's better stop playing now if you're satisfied, it would be worse if the third act compromises your opinion of the game.
(I liked a lot and had a lot of fun from a strategically point of view, since I had the draconian modifier for stronger monsters)

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So can a party member not dual wield 2 different weapons? Like a sword and a knife?

Also what's the benefits of using an axe over a great sword? I have tried the axe with one act 2 party member, but it seems like the swords continuously have better damage output from what I'm seeing in shops.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
So can a party member not dual wield 2 different weapons? Like a sword and a knife?

Also what's the benefits of using an axe over a great sword? I have tried the axe with one act 2 party member, but it seems like the swords continuously have better damage output from what I'm seeing in shops.

I think the skill states it has to be the same weapon type, so no on that.

As for Axe over Greatsword, the advantage is more defense, which for that particular character, it would be helpful since they can cover other party members.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the skill states it has to be the same weapon type, so no on that.

As for Axe over Greatsword, the advantage is more defense, which for that particular character, it would be helpful since they can cover other party members.

Ohhhh I didn't notice that about the axe. Cool to know thank you. I think I'll just keep them with the greatsword though, it seems fitting for them.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Ohhhh I didn't notice that about the axe. Cool to know thank you. I think I'll just keep them with the greatsword though, it seems fitting for them.

I went axe and they had a lot of great moves, but honestly any build you do is fine for them. It all boils down to your team comp. I used them as a tank since they also learn healing they act as a paladin of sorts.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Switch version let you see your party members following you out on the field? maybe there's a setting but I don't have the game in front of me atm.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I went axe and they had a lot of great moves, but honestly any build you do is fine for them. It all boils down to your team comp. I used them as a tank since they also learn healing they act as a paladin of sorts.

So that's what you mean by more defense, the abilities axes provide give more options in that regard? Cause I didn't notice and straight defense stat boosts from equipping.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Having lots of trouble with aractagon on draconian harder enemies....

Team is lv 19-20. Can't even get down his down to 'yellow' health. Tried lots of different party combo, different strats. Any help?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just started playing the demo, and people sure aren't kidding when they say this game Is charming. A lot of the monsters I'm fighting in the early going are just adorable lol.

Also pretty cool of them to provide such a lengthy demo. I've enjoyed what little I've played of the game so far, but also still trying to feel out if this is something I'll stick with for the long haul. Figure if Im still enjoying it by the time the demo ends I'll probably pick up the full game.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Really early in the game (maybe 8ish hours) just got to Galapolis(sp?), and I absolutely LOVE how this game has just thrust you into the open world this early on. I don't feel like I'm grinding quite as much as I had to in previous Dragon Quest titles, so that's pretty refreshing. I'm assuming I'm only 1/10th of the way through? Feels pretty early.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Really early in the game (maybe 8ish hours) just got to Galapolis(sp?), and I absolutely LOVE how this game has just thrust you into the open world this early on. I don't feel like I'm grinding quite as much as I had to in previous Dragon Quest titles, so that's pretty refreshing. I'm assuming I'm only 1/10th of the way through? Feels pretty early.

Through the entire game? Naw. You still have a long ways to go even within Act 1.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Through the entire game? Naw. You still have a long ways to go even within Act 1.

Oh god, hahaha.

Just finished up that series of quests with the Prince & Sultan, now I'm headed to the next town. Really enjoying it, and honesty not that bummed there's lots more to do. Should tide me over until Final Fantasy VII.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just wrapped up the demo after playing a little over 8 hours. I know this probably only scratches the surface in terms of the total amount of content in the full game, but still pretty cool how lengthy the demo is. And so far I'm still really enjoying the game, which admittedly has surprised me a bit since DQ8 never really clicked for me back in the day (which is the only other DQ games I've played). Which is all the more reason I appreciate this lengthy demo before buying it.

In general though, starting lengthy games can be a bit daunting for me, but in this early going, there's something I really appreciate about the pacing, and gradually getting introduced to new characters and party members. It very much feels like I'm embarking on a journey, and it's been really fun to see the story unfold so far. It really captures the charm of experiencing a good adventure (at least based on what I've played so far).

Anyways, I've had a bunch of gold points saved up on the eShop, so I guess I know what I'm spending them on now lol.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
wait are there no longer going to be new regions and towns to be explored after the first act?

just when I thought we finally had a modern JRPG with all the bells and whistles, should have known there was a catch.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
wait are there no longer going to be new regions and towns to be explored after the first act?

just when I thought we finally had a modern JRPG with all the bells and whistles, should have known there was a catch.

...Does FFVI also "not have all the bells and whistles," in your mind?

DQXI has a large amount of towns and regions—way more than other modern JRPGs, and indeed resembling the numbers seen in older classics.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Ive always used the joycons and grip for playing switch, but I was given the 8bitdo bluetooth adapter as a gift so I can use my PS4 pad with the Switch. It's great, except my brain is hard wired for X to be confirm and O to be cancel...and DQ11 is really twisting my melon with me constantly pressing the wrong button to confirm and cancel. Is there no way to remap controls?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I ran into some metal slimes just outside of Gallopolis, is it worth me hanging out here for a bit to grind a few out (I've managed to fell 3 of them so far) or should I just press on? Really just trying to grind out for that dual wield with Erik.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So I ran into some metal slimes just outside of Gallopolis, is it worth me hanging out here for a bit to grind a few out (I've managed to fell 3 of them so far) or should I just press on? Really just trying to grind out for that dual wield with Erik.

Weeeeeeell, if you aren't on Harder Monsters, then no, you can pretty much keep pace for the next 40 hours and you won't have too much trouble. Once you get on the high seas, you'll find a better place to smack metal slimes at to get some good levels going anyways.

If you ARE on Harder Monsters, you probably should after you start the events in Gallopolis and get a fifth party member to join you, because the boss you have to fight for this region is brutal, and it's gonna mess you up good. A little extra leveling might give you the edge you need (perhaps the spells or skills you need) to take it down without anybody getting killed in one hit. Otherwise, better be careful, and save or use up your cash before the fight, it's brutal!

Also, can we all just appreciate how vibrant and huge all the towns are in this? While it kinda sucked how the density sorta dies down after the first big city (seriously, I feel like I took an hour to explore that place, it was like freaking Iron Forge, it felt amazing to explore!), I absolutely love how all the towns look here, they are just beautiful and well realized!

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just got to Gondolia. Really loving how distinct each city feels up to this point. Only about 12 hours in but really feels like a nice big world to explore.

Also was a bit surprised I already got another party member with Sylvando. Felt like Veronica and Serena just joined so wasn't expecting someone new for at least a few more hours of playtime. Not that I mind though since I really like the energy he's bringing to the team lol.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
I'm 160 hours in, currently on Act 3, doing whatever I feel to do next. Have not beat the game yet because I don't want this to end. I feels like something really special and unlike most games today.

I got a spear rare drop from some flying red shits near Hotto on my first battle, so lucky. Currently I'm using Hero, Jade, Sylv, 8th, Erick mostly, then sometimes Rab and Veronica, Serena not much.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bought this on PC day one... and just beat it last night. lol. Made it to the end of Act 2 and just couldn't beat the boss, needed to grind, etc. So I sort of just sat down and did it. RNG was on my side, for sure. I think my party was all 59-60 by the end. Had a few of the Draconian modifiers on, so that didn't help either.

Game is amazing for real and I've been trying to convince my Switch buds to pick it up.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this on PC day one... and just beat it last night. lol. Made it to the end of Act 2 and just couldn't beat the boss, needed to grind, etc. So I sort of just sat down and did it. RNG was on my side, for sure. I think my party was all 59-60 by the end. Had a few of the Draconian modifiers on, so that didn't help either.

Game is amazing for real and I've been trying to convince my Switch buds to pick it up.
Not that I need to because of my backlog, but my friend just picked this up which in turn makes me want to get it as I've had my eye on it a while.

And now I'm in that stage of deciding between content or graphics.

PC or Switch is a harder decision than most for me on this game. I bet it looks incredible in 4K but would also be a nice portable game because of it being turn based.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not that I need to because of my backlog, but my friend just picked this up which in turn makes me want to get it as I've had my eye on it a while.

And now I'm in that stage of deciding between content or graphics.

PC or Switch is a harder decision than most for me on this game. I bet it looks incredible in 4K but would also be a nice portable game because of it being turn based.

It is certainly gorgeous on PC and has Ansel support if you like in-depth Photo Modes. There are a lot of extra Switch content though that may be worth it for you, and the portability is always a plus.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I just got to the Academy. High 20s on level, is there anywhere for me to reasonably grind out some metal slimes for an hour or so yet?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So I just got to the Academy. High 20s on level, is there anywhere for me to reasonably grind out some metal slimes for an hour or so yet?

You got to the academy using a boat, and now you can use the boat to go to the little islands. The one in the north east has a ton of slimes, including King slimes, and most importantly, metal slimes and sometimes liquid metal slimes!

Remember to use skills that have a high chance of critical hits, like Thunder Thrust or Hachet Man. Those will almost always deal a crit on those guys, and at their best (the second skill of the same type) they have a fitty-fitty shot of knocking those suckers out!

If you aren't on Harder Monsters, you probably don't need it, but if you wanna do it, I won't stop you!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
You got to the academy using a boat, and now you can use the boat to go to the little islands. The one in the north east has a ton of slimes, including King slimes, and most importantly, metal slimes and sometimes liquid metal slimes!

Remember to use skills that have a high chance of critical hits, like Thunder Thrust or Hachet Man. Those will almost always deal a crit on those guys, and at their best (the second skill of the same type) they have a fitty-fitty shot of knocking those suckers out!

If you aren't on Harder Monsters, you probably don't need it, but if you wanna do it, I won't stop you!

Haha, yea I don't *need* it at the moment, I just wanna have some grindey brain dead activities to do while I play remotely on the iPad before bed Here and there. Appreciate all the info! I'll go check it out!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Haha, yea I don't *need* it at the moment, I just wanna have some grindey brain dead activities to do while I play remotely on the iPad before bed Here and there. Appreciate all the info! I'll go check it out!

No problem! If you want some useful drops from enemies, remember that there is a team-attack that forces enemies to drop their rarest items, as well as increasing the Exp and Gold they drop as well! If you have a particular martial artist in your team, and you manage to get them, Erik and your hero in a pepped up state, you can end up getting some good stuff from some enemies!

Don't forget though, that only three items can drop at a time, so murder a few enemies first if you can. If you are just looking to fill out your rare item list, make those last three enemies you don't know the rare item for yet.

Itemized kill can still get rares, but it's not fully guaranteed compared to having one more party member to make all drops rare.

If you are crazy lucky enough to pull that Pep off while facing Liquid Metal Slimes, and you manage to defeat one with a lucky blow, or Thunder thrust or whatever, you'll get a very, VERY powerful hat! Also a rediculous amount of EXP, that's good too.

Also, Spiked Hares are good enemies to try to grab rares from, since their drop is a bunny tail, which raises the chance of enemies dropping items, and stacks with more equipped by the active party.

Which is good, because the effect is additive. Even having one would turn a 0.8% into a 1.8%, so it's a good thing to keep on for normal encounters!

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
just completed the true ending. don't think i'll go for the superbosses, although i completed the tickington quests leading up to most of the remaining ones. if there was a final true ending locked behind them, i'd probably go for it.

really charming game, and the decision to have a 2d mode was a blessing. not only did i save a shitload of time, it was also incredibly charming and felt like a nice, long-lost 2d rpg from the sega saturn era. i barely started seiken densetsu 3 right before getting into dq xi s, and i look forward to a game that's actually from that era to see how it compares. maybe i'll jump into the game in 3d at some point just to experience it as a 'remake' of sorts.

definitely would have made it to my top ten last year if i'd beaten it in time, but i didn't want to rush the experience.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Making decent progress on this starting a few weeks ago, but don't have a ton of time to play. Just got Rab and Jade. I originally had stronger monsters and no exp from weaker enemies on until around Gallopolis until I got annoyed and realized I wasn't having fun. About 30 hours in now.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Making decent progress on this starting a few weeks ago, but don't have a ton of time to play. Just got Rab and Jade. I originally had stronger monsters and no exp from weaker enemies on until around Gallopolis until I got annoyed and realized I wasn't having fun. About 30 hours in now.

Did you get rid of both? Or just one of the two Draconian options?

I've only played the demo and went with Harder Monsters. I was happy with the difficulty. But when I pour myself back into the game I am thinking of starting over and going with Harder Monsters AND No Shops (not being able to buy). Makes drops and crafting more valuable. I know there will be some things I can't get by not being able to buy them, but I am ok with that.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Did you get rid of both? Or just one of the two Draconian options?

I've only played the demo and went with Harder Monsters. I was happy with the difficulty. But when I pour myself back into the game I am thinking of starting over and going with Harder Monsters AND No Shops (not being able to buy). Makes drops and crafting more valuable. I know there will be some things I can't get by not being able to buy them, but I am ok with that.

I dropped both. I kept my save with them on in case I ever wanted to go back.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I dropped both. I kept my save with them on in case I ever wanted to go back.
It's probably too late to go back without feeling like you lost a ton of progress, but if it's any consolation, I played the original release fully with just Harder Monsters and it provided a solid and exilerating challenge throughout, especially considering how much more difficult it made all the physical attacking bosses!

If you go back, I highly reccomend just keeping Harder Monsters.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably too late to go back without feeling like you lost a ton of progress, but if it's any consolation, I played the original release fully with just Harder Monsters and it provided a solid and exilerating challenge throughout, especially considering how much more difficult it made all the physical attacking bosses!

If you go back, I highly reccomend just keeping Harder Monsters.

I probably could have gotten by with just turning off the exp from weaker enemies modifier. It was fine until Gallopolis but then it started to feel more like a chore rather than a challenge. Maybe if I approached it differently or had a different mindset, I don't know. It does feel a little too easy with stronger monsters off but it's not boring.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I probably could have gotten by with just turning off the exp from weaker enemies modifier. It was fine until Gallopolis but then it started to feel more like a chore rather than a challenge. Maybe if I approached it differently or had a different mindset, I don't know. It does feel a little too easy with stronger monsters off but it's not boring.
Gallopolis is the first major block with Harder Monsters, but since you got past without it you should know how to handle it if you want.

Just have fun the way you'd like! I had a great time with Harder Monsters, but if you are having fun, then enjoy, no biggie!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Okay, full disclosure I've only ever played DQ VIII and IX before this one and...

DQ 11 is by far my favorite at this point. I'm at the second visit to Dundrasil, and man...this game is fantastic. I'm fucking in love with it and I'm not at all mad by how long it is. The story turns have all been satisfying and nothing feels drawn out. SO GOOD.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished Act 2! May put the game down for a bit before going back as I've been anxious to get to other Switch games, but have really wanted to finish this one first. But I'm curious to see how this continues, despite dreading these "trials" I keep hearing people complain about.

Side note: I saw a video of a battle in vanilla DQXI (not sure the platform) and finally heard the OG battle music and I wanted to die inside. Definitely appreciate the orchestrated version on the Switch version. I'll take the graphical downgrade over that MIDI nonsense any day.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished Act 2! May put the game down for a bit before going back as I've been anxious to get to other Switch games, but have really wanted to finish this one first. But I'm curious to see how this continues, despite dreading these "trials" I keep hearing people complain about.

Side note: I saw a video of a battle in vanilla DQXI (not sure the platform) and finally heard the OG battle music and I wanted to die inside. Definitely appreciate the orchestrated version on the Switch version. I'll take the graphical downgrade over that MIDI nonsense any day.
You can at least mod it into the PC version.

Oct 25, 2017
You can at least mod it into the PC version.
True true. I don't own a PC, so it wasn't even an option for me. But in truth, portability is probably the biggest reason I got it on Switch. I'd wager I've played 95% of it handheld so far, and I don't expect that percentage to decrease. So the Switch version just gives me more of what I want. The orchestrated music was just a much appreciated bonus.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I refuse to watch any footage of the Switch version for this very reason, so it doesn't spoil my PS4 experience. I intentionally waited to buy it on sale because I was so mad about the midi music in the west.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
True true. I don't own a PC, so it wasn't even an option for me. But in truth, portability is probably the biggest reason I got it on Switch. I'd wager I've played 95% of it handheld so far, and I don't expect that percentage to decrease. So the Switch version just gives me more of what I want. The orchestrated music was just a much appreciated bonus.

Yeah. Even with my beefy pc and want to run everything in 4K I've been thinking about getting this version for a trip this weekend. Still haven't played the game yet and very interested but still choosing which version in my mind. My friend picked it up on ps4 and said it looks beautiful so that doesn't help.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Even with my beefy pc and want to run everything in 4K I've been thinking about getting this version for a trip this weekend. Still haven't played the game yet and very interested but still choosing which version in my mind. My friend picked it up on ps4 and said it looks beautiful so that doesn't help.
As a non-DQ fan prior to this, the demo really sold me on the Switch experience, so that might be worth a go for you to help you decide. It doesn't look terrible, but yeah, it's not as pretty as the PS4 version and definitely not as nice as the PC. I just love playing turn-based games handheld. Allows for mindless grinding a lot easier. Was worth the downgrade.

I refuse to watch any footage of the Switch version for this very reason, so it doesn't spoil my PS4 experience. I intentionally waited to buy it on sale because I was so mad about the midi music in the west.
Yeah, that's probably wise. I'm sure the music on the PS4 is fine when that's all you know of it. There are still bad MIDI tracks in the Switch version but I barely noticed most of the time and I'm sure I would only really care if I heard an orchestrated version of that same track.