• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Those scenes are definitely being rendered by the Switch, that said I doubt the quality will be the same while actually playing, there is usually a drop in quality between cutscene and gameplay. But that's alright, it looked good enough.

Glad there is an option to switch back to beeps for dialog. They picked good voice actors, but I've been reading my DQ with my own made up voices for 30 years now.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
GoNintendo is reporting that there's a special surprise coming on January 1st, 2019. If there's also a Direct on that day, you know what that means ...

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I recommend not to expect a Direct on the 1st, New Years is an important holiday in Japan, one where traditionally speaking you are not supposed to do any work (except helping your parents clean the house) on that day. I believe it is very very unlikely that Nintendo will broadcast anything on that day.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Could be, perhaps you're right. I can imagine that the rumored Erdrick in Smash trailer could come at any time, although there's usually a Direct at the start of the year, just perhaps, as you said, not on the first.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
I guess it will be a bad port
It's UE4 and Epic has put in a ton of work on that engine for Switch

But I haven't seen very impressive titles yet on the Switch utilizing UE4. This is the first one. Fortnite(latest version) looks better than on mobile but compared to Nintendo's in-house WiiU engine(for example BOTW) it looks like sub-standard.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I haven't seen very impressive titles yet on the Switch utilizing UE4. This is the first one. Fortnite(latest version) looks better than on mobile but compared to Nintendo's in-house WiiU engine(for example BOTW) it looks like sub-standard.
You're never gonna get a favorable comparison between a bespoke engine, tailor made for the hardware and an hardware agnostic engine. Expecting such is a folly.

Or bait

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
You're never gonna get a favorable comparison between a bespoke engine, tailor made for the hardware and an hardware agnostic engine. Expecting such is a folly.

Or bait

Take a look at Warframe's engine. Not tailor made but similar impressive on a technical level on Switch. If Warframe would be on UE4 I bet it would look far worse on Switch either resolution and/or performance wise.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take a look at Warframe's engine. Not tailor made but similar impressive on a technical level on Switch. If Warframe would be on UE4 I bet it would look far worse on Switch either resolution and/or performance wise.
you're making a lot of assumptions about what is and isn't possible with UE4 on the Switch. name another game like Warframe that even runs on UE4, because there aren't many. Fortnite on mobile runs better because it has lower fidelity assets and, on IOS, is running on more powerful hardware. DQ11 is probably the first UE4 game on switch that leans closer to AAA right now.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Impressive is also on the eye of the beholder. Nintendo's inhouse stuff have great design, not sayingFortnite doesn't but a lot of the impossible ports thats come to Switch are very Non-Nintendo in nature, stuff you'd never expect to see on Switch or a Nintendo platform and they simply look different.

Mario Kart 8 looks amazing, but the art design is designed with Nintendo platforms in mind. A game like fortnite wasn't. But fits Nintnedo's aesthetic well. Warframe or Doom are completely different from Nintendo's stuff.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

DBFZ looks pretty great but fighters are generally easier to scale.