• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Every single DQXIS thread on era gets derailed with the same nonsense discussion, boohoo Nintendo stealing our dlc, bunch of losers!.
lol
Its funny how some people can lose their mind when one asks if game X is coming to Switch, followed by 10 quotes blaming him from port begging.

Yet, these XIS thread feature the same kind of entitlement from users that think that they are owed additional content that only was developed for the XIS release.

We haven known for ages that the Switch release would have exclusive content - even without the extra content XI on PS4/PC was well worth the asking price. Thats like buying Fifa 18 and then being mad that you dont get Fifa 20 and its new features for free via an update. They were never promised and the publisher wants you to buy the full price release in 2019, to get the new content.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every single DQXIS thread on era gets derailed with the same nonsense discussion, boohoo Nintendo stealing our dlc, bunch of losers!.
Its funny how some people can lose their mind when one asks if game X is coming to Switch, followed by 10 quotes blaming him from port begging.

Yet, these XIS thread feature the same kind of entitlement from users that think that they are owed additional content that only was developed for the XIS release.
yeah, it's a shame. there's clearly a double standard here. i know patch-begging is a ridiculous concept but just like port-begging it shits up the thread and derails discussion. and i expect every future thread about XI S to be the same.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
lol

Your mistake, just like many forum dwellers, is assuming it is the same people that complain about port begging and only them that are complaining about this. Sure those people do it but they aren't the only ones and it is important to separate the bullshit. Blanket statements are worthless and serve only the people who use them so that they feel better about their own little black and white world.

Let me add for context, isn't it possible to feel legitimately let down by the lack of this content on other platforms? Why does it have to be a battle between two factions? Can't we as people who love Dragon Quest feel bad for people who can't enjoy it? What's so wrong about wanting this stuff on PS4/PC? Just like it isn't wrong to want something like Persona 5 on Switch.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, it's a shame. there's clearly a double standard here. i know patch-begging is a ridiculous concept but just like port-begging it shits up the thread and details discussion. and i expect every future thread about XI S to be the same.
I keep coming back to this thread always thinking that they announced more new features to this version or something else relevant ....but its always the additional-content begging.

I mean i get it...but at the same time SE didnt hide the fact that the later Switch release will have additional/exclusive content. Dont know what people are expecting here. Thats like expecting regular P5 to get updated with everything Royal offers for free.
Just not how this works.

These additions were secured based on the fact that they will help to sell an older game for 60 bucks.
XI PS4/PC can be bought for less than 20 bucks right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me add for context, isn't it possible to feel legitimately let down by the lack of this content on other platforms? Why does it have to be a battle between two factions? Can't we as people who love Dragon Quest feel bad for people who can't enjoy it? What's so wrong about wanting this stuff on PS4/PC? Just like it isn't wrong to want something like Persona 5 on Switch.
i don't think there's anything wrong with that, but i just don't see the point in it. since february, people have been talking about it. i fully get the disappointment and i think I would feel the same if i had played the ps4/pc version first and didn't want the switch version or didn't want to replay the game, but at some point it's just talking about the same things over and over and over. as for your persona example, once it was revealed what p5r and p5s are, i'm pretty sure people weren't allowed to ask for a switch port in p5 threads. it's still understandable if someone wants it, but it adds nothing to the discussion in threads specifically about the game.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Your mistake, just like many forum dwellers, is assuming it is the same people that complain about port begging and only them that are complaining about this. Sure those people do it but they aren't the only ones and it is important to separate the bullshit. Blanket statements are worthless and serve only the people who use them so that they feel better about their own little black and white world.

I mean, it is literally some of the same exact people. We could certainly do a wall of shame but do you really think that would help?

The reason people are bringing this up is because it's relevant and basically every DQXIS goes down the same toxic offtopic path. It's portbegging. I guess this is the last I'll comment on it and just start reporting it in the hope mods start finally enforcing DQXIS portbegging. It's clearly become a problem.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i was looking forward to P5 on Switch because they always had portable re-releases of Persona games (P1/2,P3P,P4G). Havent mentioned P5 in relation to Switch every since Royal was announced as a PS4 only title - why should i ? It wont change things.

Same with XI S - the features are Switch exclusive and Nintendo is publishing the game in the west and likely had to secured a bunch of those additional features. This likely wasnt a cheap port, so they have to sell the game at 60 bucks to get somewhat a solid ROI - so SE provided what was needed to be able to charge 60 for this game that release last year on PS4/PC...or 2 years ago in Japan on PS4.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think there's anything wrong with that, but i just don't see the point in it. since february, people have been talking about it. i fully get the disappointment and i think I would feel the same if i had played the ps4/pc version first and didn't want the switch version or didn't want to replay the game, but at some point it's just talking about the same things over and over and over. as for your persona example, once it was revealed what p5r and p5s are, i'm pretty sure people weren't allowed to ask for a switch port in p5 threads. it's still understandable if someone wants it, but it adds nothing to the discussion in threads specifically about the game.
I suppose you're right but I am one of those people that don't think port begging is inherently wrong. I think that what derails it is people arguing about it you know? Content like this is a bit different though since it's not a whole game and it is sort of up in the air. Using the Persona example, there was no definitive answer for this content like there was with P5 not coming to switch. If I recall (I could be wrong) they said they haven't decided if they were going to update the other versions of DQ which blurs the lines heavily.
I mean, it is literally some of the same exact people. We could certainly do a wall of shame but do you really think that would help?

The reason people are bringing this up is because it's relevant and basically every DQXIS goes down the same toxic offtopic path. It's portbegging. I guess this is the last I'll comment on it and just start reporting it in the hope mods start finally enforcing DQXIS portbegging. It's clearly become a problem.
Trust me I truly get that but the same could be said the other way. I mean I have seen some people in this thread that were really active who said there was nothing wrong with port begging. All of a sudden it is different now? Listen, I am not saying it okay in any direction because my opinion on this has always been the same. I personally see nothing wrong with it.
Same with XI S - the features are Switch exclusive and Nintendo is publishing the game in the west and likely had to secure a bunch of those extras.
People can say this all they want but they publish every DQ game in the west on their platform exclusive content or not. There is no way to know if they paid for it or not unless they show the receipts.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i was looking forward to P5 on Switch because they always had portable re-releases of Persona games. Havent mentioned P5 in relation to Switch every since Royal was announced as a PS4 only title - why should i ? It wont change things.

Same with XI S - the features are Switch exclusive and Nintendo is publishing the game in the west and likely had to secure a bunch of those extras.
Two different things. XIS is not the same as P5R in any regard. There was never a suggestion that it was Persona 5 coming to switch.

I suppose you're right but I am one of those people that don't think port begging is inherently wrong. I think that what derails it is people arguing about it you know? Content like this is a bit different though since it's not a whole game and it is sort of up in the air. Using the Persona example, there was no definitive answer for this content like there was with P5 not coming to switch. If I recall (I could be wrong) they said they haven't decided if they were going to update the other versions of DQ which blurs the lines heavily.
Exactly.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Two different things. XIS is not the same as P5R in any regard. There was never a suggestion that it was Persona 5 coming to switch.
There didnt have to be a suggestion when every Persona game did get a portable re-release in the past - P5 /P5R is the first game that broke that tradition. So expecting P5 on Switch- wasnt some alien thought - pretty much the whole industry thought it was a no brainer. They provided the Vita with Person games, so a much more popular portable seemed like a given.

It was not and we moved on.

There is no suggestion that the XI S content isnt Switch exclusive - hell they gave the game a different title just to differentiate from the standard versions. XI S is a Switch exclusive, published by Nintendo in the west.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trust me I truly get that but the same could be said the other way. I mean I have seen some people in this thread that were really active who said there was nothing wrong with port begging. All of a sudden it is different now? Listen, I am not saying it okay in any direction because my opinion on this has always been the same. I personally see nothing wrong with it.
i've said in the past that port begging is fine and people sometimes massively over react to it (someone mentions switch once in a thread about a game not announced for the system and then people gang up on him and lose their shit), but when it becomes this prevalent in threads about a game and just dominates all discussion it just becomes annoying and hard to ignore.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, portbegging isn't inherently wrong. It's also not inherently bannable either, only in threads deemed inappropriate where it throws everything perpetually offtopic. Like it is now.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
i've said in the past that port begging is fine and people sometimes massively over react to it (someone mentions switch once in a thread about a game not announced for the system and then people gang up on him and lose their shit), but when it becomes this prevalent in threads about a game and just dominates all discussion it just becomes annoying and hard to ignore.
Yeah and you gotta admit, that happened with Persona 5 and I remember people fighting hard saying it wasn't. Personally I agreed with them and I am sticking with my conviction here. It's only annoying when a bunch of people feel personally offended by it. I am getting this for Switch and I have not dog in this fight. When I see people getting mad when someone is upset about not being able to play this great content I laugh. Like why does it matter to you that this person is wrong about the exclusivity (when you yourself don't know the details of that deal)? I just think this would be a better forum if we could all be like "I feel for you man. This content looks dope and I wish you could play it to. Hope it works out in the end!" and call it a day.
I mean, portbegging isn't inherently wrong. It's also not inherently bannable either, only in threads deemed inappropriate where it throws everything perpetually offtopic. Like it is now.
Same answer

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and you gotta admit, that happened with Persona 5 and I remember people fighting hard saying it wasn't. Personally I agreed with them and I am sticking with my conviction here. It's only annoying when a bunch of people feel personally offended by it. I am getting this for Switch and I have not dog in this fight. When I see people getting mad when someone is upset about not being able to play this great content I laugh. Like why does it matter to you that this person is wrong about the exclusivity (when you yourself don't know the details of that deal)? I just think this would be a better forum if we could all be like "I feel for you man. This content looks dope and I wish you could play it to. Hope it works out in the end!" and call it a day.

Same answer
Those people can play it though. Like with P5R the answer is the same; buy the system and the game.

People who portbeg P5R gets bans in official threads. Has that happened yet with DQXIS? This seems like a double standard.

Are you also in official P5R threads saying portbegging should be allowed? And if not why not?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Those people can play it though. Like with P5R the answer is the same; buy the system and the game.

People who portbeg P5R gets bans in official threads. Has that happened yet with DQXIS? This seems like a double standard.

Are you also in official P5R threads saying portbegging should be allowed? And if not why not?
You're stuck on this double standard thing. I told you already, I don't agree with it on the Persona 5R side and I don't agree with it here. There is nothing wrong with wanting P5R on Switch (still hoping it does) and there is nothing wrong with wanting DQXI S content on other platforms. I am not personally calling you out or anything but you've went back and forth about this with people in this thread so let me use you as an example. Imagine for a second that instead of arguing with people who mention it you continued with the DQXI S talk like usual, would it have taken up this much of the thread? I don't think so. I am not saying you're the problem, I am only saying that it works both ways.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear with this answer let me answer your question directly. Yes if I was in a P5R thread and witnessed this I would certainly defend people wanting it on Switch. In fact I have when it was a big deal. I would have gotten it on Switch if it were coming to that platform. Does that surprise you?

Last edited:

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, it's a shame. there's clearly a double standard here. i know patch-begging is a ridiculous concept but just like port-begging it shits up the thread and derails discussion. and i expect every future thread about XI S to be the same.
To be fair its not really port begging, people who bought the first version feel left out because they bought in early and now theyre releasing this dope version. Wanting it on par with the original version isnt asking much and i feel like its valid... i will say that the discussion of patching or not should be kept to a minimum... but its definitely not the same as porrt begging.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Well back them I did wonder why this game is taking forever to come to the Switch even thou it was announce for the Switch 1st which was still called NX. Now I understand ^_^

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You're stuck on this double standard thing. I told you already, I don't agree with it on the Persona 5R side and I don't agree with it here. There is nothing wrong with wanting P5R on Switch (still hoping it does) and there is nothing wrong with wanting DQXI S content on other platforms. I am not personally calling you out or anything but you've went back and forth about this with people in this thread so let me use you as an example. Imagine for a second that instead of arguing with people who mention it you continued with the DQXI S talk like usual, would it have taken up this much of the thread? I don't think so. I am not saying you're the problem, I am only saying that it works both ways.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear with this answer let me answer your question directly. Yes if I was in a P5R thread and witnessed this I would certainly defend people wanting it on Switch. In fact I have when it was a big deal. I would have gotten it on Switch if it were coming to that platform. Does that surprise you?
What's the issue in highlighting a clear double standard? That's exactly the problem here. This offtopic mess is EXACTLY why portbegging is sometimes warrantably bannable. And having taken a quick peek in your own post history I'm not finding any defense of Switch P5 or P5R port begging during or after the Scramble reveal (which is when the banhammer started justifiably coming down). And I'm sure we both know why.

What you or I might prefer is sort of beside the point, that's not really what's being talked about and I feel we're both aware enough of the rules that we aren't taking most threads offtopic with that. There's nothing wrong with portbegging inherently but there's also a time and a place for it.

And you're right, I've contributed to the problem here so I'll stop posting and just start reporting.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the P5R example really works because there's no "insiders" whispering about DQXIS' content coming to the original DQXI. All we know right now is DQXIS is coming out this fall and they're likely not going to undercut its sales by announcing anything else until then.

If you really want to use a Persona example it would be like if every P5R thread was filled with people demanding its content come to vanilla P5

logash

Oct 27, 2017
What's the issue in highlighting a clear double standard? That's exactly the problem here. This offtopic mess is EXACTLY why portbegging is sometimes warrantably bannable. And having taken a quick peek in your own post history I'm not finding any defense of Switch P5 or P5R port begging during or after the Scramble reveal (which is when the banhammer started justifiably coming down). And I'm sure we both know why.

What you or I might prefer is sort of beside the point, that's not really what's being talked about and I feel we're both aware enough of the rules that we aren't taking most threads offtopic with that. There's nothing wrong with portbegging inherently but there's also a time and a place for it.

And you're right, I've contributed to the problem here so I'll stop posting and just start reporting.
No we don't but feel free to try to make my responses fit your narrative. I recall several post I made specifically talking about this very thing with mazi in one thread during the time when people were talking about P5 coming to Switch. I don't want to turn this into this huge thing where I have to look through my history and point out the exact post(unless you really want me to in which case DM and I'll be more than happy to share) but I have and always been a fan of the agree to disagree response and like you eluded to in you post, this is clearly going no where. Feel free to DM if you want to continue in any capacity. I am always up for some healthy discourse.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair its not really port begging, people who bought the first version feel left out because they bought in early and now theyre releasing this dope version. Wanting it on par with the original version isnt asking much and i feel like its valid... i will say that the discussion of patching or not should be kept to a minimum... but its definitely not the same as porrt begging.

Well its the same with Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal, the buyers of the old version have to buy the game again if they want to play the extra content. In this case it's understandable that the Switch version offers more content as it was announced years ago and the waiting is real...., they have to give us some goodies, if not they can keep it. It would'nt be worth it without exclusive stuff as you can buy the game with better graphics for like 20 bucks now.....

I bought and played the original version too and still own it for my PS4 Pro, i wouldn't buy the game again if it didn't have new stuff even when i like the portability aspect in Switch RPGs.

If you really want to use a Persona example it would be like if every P5R thread was filled with

Wait, is the content coming to vanilla Persona 5 per DLC? lol

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Because those people who feel bad completely ignore the other side, Switch users and let's review for a sec the history of this game.

- Announced back in 2015 for PS4, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo NX

- In 2017 they had the big presentation for Japan release on PS4 and 3DS

- Immediately after the release in Japan they announced the western version for PS4 and PC scheduled for 2018 with additional features including an actual VO (english), 4K resolution support, Draconian Quest, a first person camera option, and other minor changes. Square Enix specifically said these new extra features were made for western audience on those platforms.

- On April 2018 they finally said a word about the Switch version which was delayed, they were waiting for the updated Unreal Engine version. Square Enix said they considered the idea of releasing all the versions in the west at the same time but they didn't want PS4 and PC users to wait.

- Switch version was then re-announced at Tokyo Game Show where they gave a glimpse of the new additional contents they were working on (Japanese VO, orchestral music, 16bit mode from the 3DS version adapted, new stories)

1) Switch users had to wait the longest dealing with that weird silence for all these years, despite the game was announced for all platforms from the start.

2) Square Enix gave you extra features compared to the japanese version AND they released the game earlier, otherwise you'd have waited another year.

I'm just sayin', don't be selfish and try to consider all sides here, yes Switch version will get more contents, but you have the chance to play the game earlier and buy it for cheap now. On Square Enix side obviously they have to make sure all these versions can sell well despite the huge gaps in between, exclusive contents are a way to make these appealing.

Last edited:

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Because those people who feel bad completely ignore the other side, Switch users and let's review for a sec the history of this game.

- Immediately after the release in Japan they announced the western version for PS4 and PC scheduled for 2018 with additional features including an actual VO (english), 4K resolution support, Draconian Quest, a first person camera option, and other minor changes. Square Enix specifically said these new extra features were made for western audience on those platforms.

- On April 2018 they finally said a word about the Switch version which was delayed, they were waiting for the updated Unreal Engine version. Square Enix said they considered the idea of releasing all the versions in the west at the same time but they didn't want PS4 and PC users to wait.

- Switch version was then re-announced at Tokyo Game Show where they gave a glimpse of the new additional contents they were working on (Japanese VO, orchestral music, 16bit mode from the 3DS version adapted, new stories)

1) So we had to wait the longest dealing with that weird silence for all these years, despite the game was announced for all platforms from the start.

2) Square Enix gave you extra features compared to the japanese version AND they released the game earlier, otherwise you'd have waited another year.

I'm just sayin', don't be selfish and try to consider all sides here.
Of course I certainly felt bad for people who couldn't play it at the time. You like many other people are making it about one platform vs another platform. To me, there are no sides. We are all Dragon Quest fans and my point is who cares. Why do you have to put people down who are bummed that they can't play it? Like why is someone's first response "Oh now you know how we feel. Get bent!" Hell, if you know how it feels then try to feel empathy for people who aren't able to experience the awesomeness that will be the end game 3DS stuff (My personal favorite addition to the S version).

I mean it's what ever in the end. I know my words are only hitting a brick wall because forums have been like this since their conception but man don't you think we can be better?

Anyway, I really want to stop derailing the thread so let's just talk about what we are excited about in this version. I noticed they only showed the past DQ sections in 2D. They weren't only explorable in 2D were they? I want castle Trodain in beautiful DQXI! Please correct if I'm wrong with a beautiful picture of it in 3D on Switch!

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Of course I certainly felt bad for people who couldn't play it at the time. You like many other people are making it about one platform vs another platform. To me, there are no sides. We are all Dragon Quest fans and my point is who cares. Why do you have to put people down who are bummed that they can't play it? Like why is someone's first response "Oh now you know how we feel. Get bent!" Hell, if you know how it feels then try to feel empathy for people who aren't able to experience the awesomeness that will be the end game 3DS stuff (My personal favorite addition to the S version).

I mean it's what ever in the end. I know my words are only hitting a brick wall because forums have been like this since their conception but man don't you think we can be better?

Anyway, I really want to stop derailing the thread so let's just talk about what we are excited about in this version. I noticed they only showed the past DQ sections in 2D. They weren't only explorable in 2D were they? I want castle Trodain in beautiful DQXI! Please correct if I'm wrong with a beautiful picture of it in 3D on Switch!

I'm just saying at the end of the day all users got exclusive features or contents at launch.

If Square Enix does what you want, announcing a DLC with all these contents on PC or PS4 that would completely ruin the appeal for the Switch release and I'm among these people who would lose interest: I waited for DQ XI S because they said it is going to be more than just a port, if you give the same stuff on PC where I can already buy it for 20 euro then why bother?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying at the end of the day all users got exclusive features or contents at launch.

If Square Enix does what you want, announcing a DLC with all these contents on PC or PS4 that would completely ruin the appeal for the Switch release and I'm among these people who would lose interest: I waited for DQ XI S because they said it is going to be more than just a port, if you give the same stuff on PC where I can already buy it for 20 euro then why bother?
Make it a timed exclusive. I mean I personally wouldn't care if the PS4 version gets it because it doesn't take away from the Switch version but I can totally see that price thing being unfair. Ideally the Switch content would be a time exclusive since it is being priced as a premium product. Also, I never personally argued that this wouldn't be exclusive. I just think it shouldn't be because at the end of the day, everyone should be able to enjoy it.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I have a Switch but give me this content at 4K 60 on PC. I want that option and I haven't even played the game yet so Id pay extra for the pc version plus that for dlc.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not a double standard because it's not close to the same thing.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I keep coming back to this thread always thinking that they announced more new features to this version or something else relevant ....but its always the additional-content begging.

I mean i get it...but at the same time SE didnt hide the fact that the later Switch release will have additional/exclusive content. Dont know what people are expecting here. Thats like expecting regular P5 to get updated with everything Royal offers for free.
Just not how this works.

These additions were secured based on the fact that they will help to sell an older game for 60 bucks.
Basically, it's the same circular argument that goes nowhere.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

Just not how this works.

1) Switch users had to wait the longest dealing with that weird silence for all these years, despite the game was announced for all platforms from the start.

I'm just sayin', don't be selfish and try to consider all sides here, yes Switch version will get more contents, but you have the chance to play the game earlier and buy it for cheap now. On Square Enix side obviously they have to make sure all these versions can sell well despite the huge gaps in between, exclusive contents are a way to make these appealing.

Thank you. The PS4 version of the game has already been out for a year now.

It wouldn't be fair to Switch owners who have been waiting on the game for so long in which they got the extra content as compensation, only for the extra content to appear on the PS4 version of the game too.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. The PS4 version of the game has already been out for a year now.

It wouldn't be fair to Switch owners who have been waiting on the game for so long in which they got the extra content as compensation, only for the extra content to appear on the PS4 version of the game too.
I'm sorry that argument is flawed, the content staying exclusive permanently is the issue. If the content comes out in a year on other platforms that would be ideal but it being exclusive permanently as some sort of compensation is insane.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry that argument is flawed, the content staying exclusive permanently is the issue. If the content comes out in a year on other platforms that would be ideal but it being exclusive permanently as some sort of compensation is insane.

Would you pay 60, or even 40 bucks for it?

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It's not a double standard because it's not close to the same thing.

It doesn't matter whether you think it's the same or not. The issue is that begging for them achieves the same result in threads. You're either fine with both derailment methods or are against them both. You can't throw out the "it's not port-begging cuz I'm just asking for DLC for a game that's already multi-platform" excuse. No one cares. It's the behavior of the users that people care about -- not what they're begging for. You have a vested interest in this and your viewpoint is skewed by it. It really shows through your posts.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you pay 60, or even 40 bucks for it?
yes i might still get the switch version with one of the vouchers but if they do release it on other consoles or pc, I'd buy it there too.
It doesn't matter whether you think it's the same or not. The issue is that begging for them achieves the same result in threads. You're either fine with both derailment methods or are against them both. You can't throw out the "it's not port-begging cuz I'm just asking for DLC for a game that's already multi-platform" excuse. No one cares. It's the behavior of the users that people care about -- not what they're begging for. You have a vested interest in this and your viewpoint is skewed by it. It really shows through your posts.
Its not at all, you can pretend that it is but that doesn't matter when it's not the same thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed they only showed the past DQ sections in 2D. They weren't only explorable in 2D were they? I want castle Trodain in beautiful DQXI! Please correct if I'm wrong with a beautiful picture of it in 3D on Switch!
all the previously 3D areas from past DQ games (so areas from 7 to 10) in the 3DS version have been transformed into SNES-style 16-bit 2D. i've posted the stuff from DQ7 and DQ8 in this thread previously, along with comparison shots of them in 3D.

edit: to clarify more, while the entire game was playable in 2D or 3D in the 3DS version, the retro areas from past games were an exception and could be played only in one mode. dragon quest 1 to 6 in 2D, and 7 to 10 in 3D (with assets for 7 and 8 being ripped from the 3DS versions of those games). for this version, they've kept the 2D ones and transformed the 3D ones into 2D as well.

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
all the previously 3D areas from past DQ games (so areas from 7 to 10) in the 3DS version have been transformed into SNES-style 16-bit 2D. i've posted the stuff from DQ7 and DQ8 in this thread previously, along with comparison shots of them in 3D.

edit: to clarify more, while the entire game was playable in 2D or 3D in the 3DS version, the retro areas from past games were an exception and could be played only in one mode. dragon quest 1 to 6 in 2D, and 7 to 10 in 3D (with assets for 7 and 8 being ripped from the 3DS versions of those games). for this version, they've kept the 2D ones and transformed the 3D ones into 2D as well.
From what I've seen, it seems they've made most(all?) worlds share the same 2D look. I think in the case of 7-10 it's them not wanting to have to upscale the 3D because once, those works just used the same 3D graphics the rest of the game used. For the other games, I assume they'll share the same style because they could get away with having 2 and 5 look like early SNES and 1 and 4 looking like NES on the 3DS because it's low resolution but they'd rather have the unified style that would look better in HD. Another reason could be that people outside Japan aren't as nostalgic for those old graphical styles. It's a shame, from what I've seen there's great attention to detail like the 5 World, which is in the early SNES style, retroactively adds Deborah complete in the old sprite style, despite being an addition to the DS remake which had fancier sprites.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Once again you got to play the game earlier, you knew the Switch version was going to have more, you made the choice.

I don't get these contents begging (and yes if mods don't allow port begging they shouldn't allow this either), it's not set in stone that these contents are going to stay exclusive (but I can see it due to the long ass wait Switch users had to deal) but they are obviously not going to tell you now, it wouldn't be fair.

You also got exclusive contents over the Japanese versions, we have to see if that one ever received Draconian Quest and 4K Support on the Pro.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen, it seems they've made most(all?) worlds share the same 2D look. I think in the case of 7-10 it's them not wanting to have to upscale the 3D because once, those works just used the same 3D graphics the rest of the game used. For the other games, I assume they'll share the same style because they could get away with having 2 and 5 look like early SNES and 1 and 4 looking like NES on the 3DS because it's low resolution but they'd rather have the unified style that would look better in HD. Another reason could be that people outside Japan aren't as nostalgic for those old graphical styles. It's a shame, from what I've seen there's great attention to detail like the 5 World, which is in the early SNES style, retroactively adds Deborah complete in the old sprite style, despite being an addition to the DS remake which had fancier sprites.
yeah, i think having the 3D areas being 3D in the switch version as well would have been too much work. in the 3DS version they look good enough but those assets are too basic and just upscaling them wouldn't have worked, they would have basically had to re-create entire sections in 3D while having them look as good as the main 3D game. on the other hand, 2D sprites look good in any resolution and this way they have a unified look across all games. personally i like this approach, for example i love how they've managed to recreate areas from 8 in 2D pixel art, that's a lot of work as well, even if it's just 3 sections from each game. i'm really curious to see what they've done with 9 and 10 as well.

You also got exclusive contents over the Japanese versions, we have to see if that one ever received Draconian Quest and 4K Support on the Pro.
it didn't, the switch version is the first time japanese fans are getting the improvements that the international ps4/pc versions got last year.

logash

Oct 27, 2017

Ah it would have been cool to see 7-10 in awesome 3D but it's still exciting that they have them. I did see the 8 stuff they showed in Treehouse so I suspected as much but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

You think this is the first time that's happened?

It's happened in the past, too. Look at Resident Evil 4, PS2 winded up having more extra content than the GameCube version, even though the PS2 version was inferior graphically (before Capcom combined the GameCube version for it's graphics, along with extra content from the PS2 version for the Wii version).

Look at most PS3 versions of games like Star Ocean IV, Tales of Vesperia, Bioshock, etc., in which they've gotten extra content once they've been ported onto that console after they were on Xbox 360.

There's plenty of other examples as well. It's been basically standard in the gaming industry for a long time.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You think this is the first time that's happened?

It's happened in the past, too. Look at Resident Evil 4, PS2 winded up having more extra content than the GameCube version, even though the PS2 version was inferior graphically (before Capcom combined the GameCube version for it's graphics, along with extra content from the PS2 version for the Wii version).

Look at most PS3 versions of games like Star Ocean IV, Tales of Vesperia, Bioshock, etc., in which they've gotten extra content once they've been ported onto that console after they were on Xbox 360.

There's plenty of other examples as well. It's been basically standard in the gaming industry for a long time.

Tales of Grace. For extra FU points from Namco, not only did the PS3 version had more stuff than the Wii version, we never even got the game in the west on the Wii. So no export for you, and if you want to play, hope you own a PS3.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, looks like I'm selling my ps4 version to play this one after all then. I stopped after that Venice like section. How far along was I?

Edit: Wait what?! There is a possible save transfer option? Holy crap

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Yup, looks like I'm selling my ps4 version to play this one after all then. I stopped after that Venice like section. How far along was I?

Edit: Wait what?! There is a possible save transfer option? Holy crap

You've made pretty good progress in Act I (I would say roughly 50% done with Act I) . But there's Act II and Act III, so in terms of that, you're barely scratched the surface.

And the save transfer function option seems to be only available if you have the Japanese version of Dragon Quest XI S and if you have the Japanese version of Dragon Quest XI on PlayStation 4 or Nintendo 3DS.

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Tales of Grace. For extra FU points from Namco, not only did the PS3 version had more stuff than the Wii version, we never even got the game in the west on the Wii. So no export for you, and if you want to play, hope you own a PS3.

And they did the same thing for the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia itself, in which that version had tons of more extra content in which the west had never gotten their hands on it (unlike with the Xbox 360 version) until Bamco winded up bringing it over to Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS4 & PC not too long ago in which they dubbed it as "Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition."

Status
Not open for further replies.