• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they just withheld the western release on all platforms, and we would've gotten this version on everything.

I waited 13 years for a big console-quality sequel to Dragon Quest VIII, my favorite game of all time, and I've decided to just keep waiting now. I bought the PC release day one but ended up backlogging it due to life, and now I just can't return to it and enjoy it knowing that all this extra content exists. There were already things about the PC release that really annoyed me, namely how there's no TAA option so things like grass have noticeable aliasing even at 4k (and .ini edits to add it results in ghosting), a midi soundtrack (this was fixed by a mod thankfully), and how your party members don't follow you which annoyed me since they did before officially joining the party (this was added into the Switch version, thankfully). So yeah, I'm just going to keep waiting. Maybe there will be DLC, maybe a second PC version, or maybe they'll skip PC and release a new version just on PS4/PS5. Who knows, maybe such a future release could even add HDR.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
those blue slime joycons are sick. Also golem can carry you around thats hilarious lol

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they just withheld the western release on all platforms, and we would've gotten this version on everything.
I don't think these featured would have been been added if it wasn't for that specific Switch re-release that Nintendo had secured ages ago and them publishing it.

SE already added a bunch to the western release compared to the Vanilla PS4 JPN version.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think these featured would have been been added if it wasn't for that specific Switch re-release that Nintendo had secured ages ago and them publishing it.

SE already added a bunch to the western release compared to the Vanilla PS4 JPN version.
I disagree, I think Square-Enix wanted to add a lot of this content but just didn't find the time until the time between the PS4/PC and Switch version to do so.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, I think Square-Enix wanted to add a lot of this content but just didn't find the time until the time between the PS4/PC and Switch version to do so.
They always said that the Switch version would have additional content. If this wasnt the case the PS4 JPN or the PC/PS4 western version already would have gotten stuff like the the 2D Mode from 3DS.

Its clear that Nintendo secured exclusive content for their versions. DQ was at home on Nintendo system for over a decade and still got somewhat treated as an afterthought with DQXI being developed with PS4 in mind first - SE had to make up for the fact, if they wanted customers and Nintendo as potential publisher/partner to give a damn about a late re-release.

Nintendo distributes/markets every DQ related Switch title in the west.
DQ Hero(es) is/are the latest addition to the Smash Bros. Ultimate roster.
DQ XI S is a Switch exclusive - they didnt change the name just because they were planning to have the features on older version of the game.

There is nothing suggesting that SE wanted/could add the features to other version of the game but the lack of time was the main issue preventing it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they were at one point considering that:
He went on to explain that the team did consider holding both console versions back to release simultaneously, but ultimately decided to move ahead with the PS4 version instead.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything known about resolution on Switch? I am concerned because Unreal Engine 4 generally does not work super great on Switch, with significant cutbacks in resolution into sub-HD territory. I am mainly wanting to play portable mode.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This looks awesome, I can't wait to try this.
Is there anything known about resolution on Switch? I am concerned because Unreal Engine 4 generally does not work super great on Switch, with significant cutbacks in resolution into sub-HD territory. I am mainly wanting to play portable mode.
Screenshots look like 720p with TAA, might be/probably is worse. Hope a new model improves that in September.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It was only 900p on PS4(at least in Japan) so it's 100% going to be in region of 480p in portable mode.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no but the screenshots that are out there are 720p. i'm expecting 720p in docked mode and sub-native in handheld mode, although i don't think it'll go as low as 480p like some other games do.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I don't see the the problem with exclusive content?

There is nothing wrong with that, companies make exclusives deals all the time.

Just like Sony does.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

Whilst it's unlikely this is coming to the western version of Dragon Quest XI S, I would be pleasantly surprised if this does come to the western version of Dragon Quest XI S.

DQ11-DLC_07-04-19.jpg

Square Enix has released a short trailer showcasing the "Voice Drama" downloadable content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition, dubbed "The Two Thieves and the Legendary Treasure."

Here is an overview of the scene.

"—he…lp…me…"

Before his first encounter with the Hero, the thief Erik wandered about the world of Erdrea. There, he met a man. The great adventure drama of two sad thieves surround a legendary treasure is about to begin…!

Featuring: Erik, Mia, Derk, Don Cannoli, and The Seer

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is due out for Switch worldwide on September 27.

Watch the trailer below.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Sounds awesome. I just hope the visuals/frame rate hold up...

Me too. Judging by the gameplay footage from Nintendo Treehouse Live at E3 2019, that seems to be the case (at least so far).

I wonder if it's possible for Dragon Quest XI S to run at 900p docked and 720p undocked at 30 fps, like with the PlayStation 4 version, except with lower shadow quality, lower quality textures, less details, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there is a tie in comic of sorts

based on quick translations, it's a short free booklet containing some short stories and introduction to the game and it's mechanics. it'll also be available in some stores as a free physical booklet.

Whilst it's unlikely this is coming to the western version of Dragon Quest XI S, I would be pleasantly surprised if this does come to the western version of Dragon Quest XI S.
i really hope they localize the audio drama, but if they do i imagine it would be a separate dlc purchase just like in japan.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Erik is getting a lot of focus, but since he stars in DQ Monsters, it makes sense to build him up

krg

Oct 27, 2017
are they seriously not going to update the PC and PS4 versions to have at least japanese audio?

jedmund

Oct 27, 2017
are they seriously not going to update the PC and PS4 versions to have at least japanese audio?

Yeah, not adding Japanese audio is a huge bummer. While I'm buying it on Switch regardless, I really want to play it on PC with Japanese audio due to better graphics. I'm sure in a year or two someone will have ripped the audio and modded it in, but huge bummer nonetheless.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not adding Japanese audio is a huge bummer. While I'm buying it on Switch regardless, I really want to play it on PC with Japanese audio due to better graphics. I'm sure in a year or two someone will have ripped the audio and modded it in, but huge bummer nonetheless.
I even refunded the game on Steam because I honestly couldn't stand the english dub.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
new VA rarely gets patched into older versions of a game because those contracts usually work on a game-by-game and version-by-version basis. a voice actor isn't giving the publisher permission to use their voice however and whenever they want. so there's little to no incentive for them to pay all the voice actors more and work out new contracts with all of them just to be able to update year-old (or two year old in japan) versions of the game that are pretty much done selling.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Man, I wish this version would come out for all platforms and I wouldn't be stuck with all these incredible improvements on a, probably, 720p and under, Switch hardware.
I hope the resolution drops aren't too bad, it's my biggest concern. Please don't look like garbage in handheld mode. 😥

Nonetheless, I can't wait to play and buy it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish this version would come out for all platforms and I wouldn't be stuck with all these incredible improvements on a, probably, 720p and under, Switch hardware.
I hope the resolution drops aren't too bad, it's my biggest concern. Please don't look like garbage in handheld mode. 😥

Builders 2 has it's issues with frame rate so I am expecting the same with this. I am expecting the overworked to be a bit choppy in places.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DQ11 has one of the strongest english localizations for a japanese game I've seen in a long while, including the excellent dub.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i really hope they bring the voice drama dlc to the non-japanese versions, even if it's just japanese VA and english script.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
By update you mean paid dlc or free update ?

Seeing the time and involvement they put into this version, I'd say it should be pretty solid overall.
It's not some random quick and dirty port.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I'm genuinely curious to how it looks and performs in handheld mode, the fact that it is running on UE4 might not bode well since I haven't seen a single UE4 game that does not look blurry in handheld mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.