• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
no, this was talked about in the stream. the japanese version won't have english text or VA on the cart, but the special edition includes DLC for english VA. the US/EU version has japanese and english VA (no DLC), but likely no japanese text.

Ah, thanks. I was interested in getting the gorgeous edition, but I'll leave it then.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Builders 2 has it's issues with frame rate so I am expecting the same with this. I am expecting the overworked to be a bit choppy in places.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to play devil's advocate, most (if not all) of the games developed by Omega Force (the co-developers of Dragon Quest Builders) have optimisation/frame rate issues (Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is one example that comes to mind).

And considering Square Enix is handling Dragon Quest XI S and not Omega Force, and given we have gameplay footage from Nintendo Treehouse Live E3 2019, I think Dragon Quest XI S will have no problem running at 30 fps almost all of the time (if not all the time).

Speaking of, I think there are 3 possible scenarios in terms of resolution and frame rate.

1) 900p docked and 720p handheld at 30 fps.

2) 720p docked and handheld at 30 fps.

3) 720p docked and 540p handheld at 30 fps.

There will be, of course, lower quality shadows, lower quality textures, (potentially) dynamic resolution, etc.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Dragon Quest XI S follows scenario 1, but I think it's unlikely.

I do think scenarios 2 and 3 are possible, though I think scenario 3 has a higher chance, but I don't think by a large margin.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to play devil's advocate, most (if not all) of the games developed by Omega Force (the co-developers of Dragon Quest Builders) have optimisation/frame rate issues (Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is one example that comes to mind).

And considering Square Enix is handling Dragon Quest XI S and not Omega Force, and given we have gameplay footage from Nintendo Treehouse Live E3 2019, I think Dragon Quest XI S will have no problem running at 30 fps almost all of the time (if not all the time).

Speaking of, I think there are 3 possible scenarios in terms of resolution and frame rate.

There will be, of course, lower quality shadows, lower quality textures, (potentially) dynamic resolution, etc.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Dragon Quest XI S follows scenario 1, but I think it's unlikely.

I do think scenarios 2 and 3 are possible, though I think scenario 3 has a higher chance, but I don't think by a large margin.
of the games that deal with scenario 2, there's usually a bottleneck reason (the Bayonettas). being a much different game that doesn't prioritize high frame rate nor alpha textures, #2 is pretty low on likelihood

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

DQXI on PS4 runs at 900p, right? I would expect dynamic 720p/540p at 30 fps myself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're going to tie in the new DQM with XIS?

Erik's character episode could set it up?
oh, that'd be pretty cool.
i also hope they announce ports of 1, 2 and 3 (like they did with XI on 3DS and PS4), and that this time they get released outside of japan. i really want to play 3 on switch.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So this is going to run less-than-ideally on the regular Switch, I'm certain.

I wonder how this will run on the enhanced Switch.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Searched and didn't find any news on if this will be released as a stand alone release or an upgrade offered by DLC for the other platforms the game has already come out on?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Searched and didn't find any news on if this will be released as a stand alone release or an upgrade offered by DLC for the other platforms the game has already come out on?

As of right now neither of those things are announced, and seemingly not planned.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
The only question is what resolution Dragon Quest XI S is going to run at docked and at handheld whilst keeping a consistent 30 fps.

I assume Dragon Quest XI S will target 720p docked and 480p handheld at 30 fps, but will run at dynamic resolution to keep the 30 fps consistency.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only question is what resolution Dragon Quest XI S is going to run at docked and at handheld whilst keeping a consistent 30 fps.

I assume Dragon Quest XI S will target 720p docked and 480p handheld at 30 fps, but will run at dynamic resolution to keep the 30 fps consistency.
i don't know i feel like 480p is too low. my guess is 540p handheld mode, 720p docked.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
i don't know i feel like 480p is too low. my guess is 540p handheld mode, 720p docked.

I'm just erring in the side of caution. It's definitely possible since the lowest Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ran at is 386p.

But 540p is definitely a possibility in handheld mode.

It's probably unlikely and not realistic, but definitely the best case scenario is 900p docked and 720p handheld at 30 fps.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Game looks great, but the pop-in annoys me quite a bit. Hmmm. Hope that it isn't as visible when undocked.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the PS4 version 900p? Yeah I don't think that's possible on docked Switch at all. I'm expecting 720p docked and something miserable in handheld mode... Good thing I'm looking forward to a mostly SNES style playthrough.

Hopefully I'm wrong tho. I'd love for this to be a truly definitive version.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
All this speculation on the resolution, has any analysis been done in the direct feed footage since E3?

Id like to see 900p as that's my personal Switch docked sweet spot. 720p on a 65" is ok, but just a tad muddy for my liking. Hoping PS4 version performance has no bearing on this one as it's been so heavily reworked.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Wasn't the western PS4 release 1080p instead of 900 thanks to some kind of UE4 update?
E: seemingly not, hmmm

Last edited:

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
For someone who hated DQ9 because the boring, generic story: Does DQ11 have a story that's exciting and makes you want to keep going or is it just another chain of generic old 'village has problem, solve problem, proceed to next village, rinse and repeat'?

What I saw at E3 looked very nice. Especially that you can wear DQ8 hero's cothing ❤

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
For someone who hated DQ9 because the boring, generic story: Does DQ11 have a story that's exciting and makes you want to keep going or is it just another chain of generic old 'village has problem, solve problem, proceed to next village, rinse and repeat'?

What I saw at E3 looked very nice. Especially that you can wear DQ8 hero's cothing ❤

Dragon Quest XI's story is definitely better than Dragon Quest IX's story, in my opinion.

I think if you do pick up Dragon Quest XI S, you won't be dissapointed.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017

DQ11's main plot has more of a thrust to it than 9. As far as the generic elements go, they're there, because Dragon Quest is genre. Nothing wrong with it if it's done well and all DQ games do great fairy tale adventures stories. Top notch vignetting in 11 with a little more of a hook than 9 had.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am only concerned about the pop-in I saw in the E3 footage. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Thing is I heard this might be the version to play because of all the improvements they made over the PS4 release. I guess I could always just play it in 2D should the 3D shortcoming be too distracting for me...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am only concerned about the pop-in I saw in the E3 footage. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Thing is I heard this might be the version to play because of all the improvements they made over the PS4 release. I guess I could always just play it in 2D should the 3D shortcoming be too distracting for me...
there is pop-in but come on, even in 3D mode it's still a great-looking game and all the additions and improvements go far and beyond what usual late ports get.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

I just looked at the Treehouse footage and you can immediately see that the UI, menu, map and everything is 1080p but the in-game graphic is very noticeable 720p. It's blurry as fuck. :/
The 2D mode tho is native 1080p.
I really hope the handheld mode stays 720p.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just looked at the Treehouse footage and you can immediately see that the UI, don't, map and everything is 1080p but the in-game graphic is very noticeable 720p. It's blurry as fuck. :/
The 2D mode tho is native 1080p.
I really hope the handheld mode stays 720p.
Don't count on it. UE4 likes fast GPUs. Epic is still working of scaling UE4 to mobile hardware better

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't like to be one of these people who live with fog in the eyes constantly.
Seems like a serious handicap.
I feel sorry for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.