• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Let's wait to see how DQ11s performs first.

DQ12 is still a good 3-4 years away so it's likely that PS5 will be the target platform and it will later be ported to the Switch successor.

Switch is the top-selling platform in Japan right now, and Dragon Quest is a notoriously Japan-first game franchise. I'd say it's more probable than possible.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
i wish you could replace the battle theme with dq8 as well. Even when orchestrated, 11's theme is underwhelming.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wonder what the size of the game will be, I want buy this digital but idk if it is too big

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I knew I was only going to be buying one version of the game, ever since DQ11 was announced.

Glad my patience was rewarded.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a hilarious situation all around.

I remember when the Western release of DQXI on PS4 and PC got announced and people got laughed at for being mad that Square Enix were taking their sweet time with the Switch version.

Now here we are, almost a year later and the Switch is getting a ridiculously overhauled version. And now PS4 and PC players want the Switch-exclusive content.

Life really works in mysterious ways, my friends.

It really is. I still remember how people on places like gematsu or even here were talking that it would be a watered down version and now years later we're in this situation. haha

it's definitely one of the best looking games on the system, and one of the best looking ps4 to switch ports

It's actually a game made from the ground up for the console, not a port. I remember interviews with Horii in which he says that it was build for Switch itself, which is probably why it looks and works so good from what we saw.

A new character was made for the L'Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles.

D85ASI4WkAE7sXF.jpg

Between her and Android 21, Toriyama has tapped into a dark power.

She looks amazing. Toriyama just keep getting better with DQ

Beyond angry with SE for downgrading the PS4 version with cheap music when they could have easily included it.

The only great SE RPG they released in years was purposefully sabotaged in this disgusting way.

It wasn't purposely sabotaged because they don't own the music of the series and Sugiyama is the one who decides those matters with his music.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Oh my god, those joycons! I hope they sell them separately, but they're probably gonna be only available in the bundle :(

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I must admit, I didn't expect all these improvements for the Switch version at first. Honestly thought Square would just do a straight port and that's it.

I am a new Switch owner partly due to this game, so I'm glad. Except for visual fidelity, it seems like this version is just way beyond the PS4 version in terms of QoL and features.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jan 2, 2018
That they really recreated the past DQ worlds which were 3D in the 3DS version now in 2D for the Switch version...that sounds like a lot of work.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
this is one of few games that actually deserves the "Definitive Edition" title.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new character was made for the L'Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles.

D85ASI4WkAE7sXF.jpg

Between her and Android 21, Toriyama has tapped into a dark power.
oh so that's what that was, the twitter translation made it sound like an NPC was getting a new costume. didn't know it was an entirely new character

On the other hand we would probably be talking about DQXII for Switch/PS4 now if DQXI had just been a 3DS game. Instead DQXII is probably another four years off.
this is what i meant. going with 3DS only would have meant the game could have come out years earlier, be viable for a localization, and now they'd be deep into the development of 12 for ps4/switch.

I wonder if DQ12 is already under developement.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Do I finish the PC game or should I just wait for this one? Any word if the PC version is getting these updates? Definitely getting on the switch to play as I go.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nobody bringing up the gay marriage options is disappointing, especially in relation to this series specifically.

Im so tempted to play this now but i hate the luminary's hair so goddamn much

Wait hold up.
There are gay marriage options!?! If thats true then ill take that as a big "f*ck you" to the composer which is great. Definitely make me feel less bad about supporting the series that I love, which in turn unfortunately supports someone who I hate.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait hold up.
There are gay marriage options!?! If thats true then ill take that as a big "f*ck you" to the composer which is great. Definitely make me feel less bad about supporting the series that I love, which in turn unfortunately supports someone who I hate.

What is this story?

Composer homophobic?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait hold up.
there's a system were you can marry some female characters or "live with" some male characters. it's unfortunate that the term "marriage" couldn't have been used for both, but i guess progress is progress.

https:///dragon-quest-xi-s-has-new-element-added-on-switch-yuji-horii-revealed/
"In the game's story you can marry [redacted due to spoilers], but I thought that people would want to choose from various characters, so we've added that," Horii said. "While it isn't marriage, you can even choose Erik or Hendrik—so you can choose the person you live with."

What is this story?

Composer homophobic?
the composer is an all-around piece of shit. homophobic, transphobic, and war-crime denier.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait hold up.
More or less, it's actually in the OP but basically this version adds more marriage options and it's described as "living with" male characters. We don't know if that will be marriage in anything but name or not or actually just living with them, but yeah.

Sylvando /is/ a gay character, tho. The game never outright says it but he's most definitely intended to come off as one (at least in english) while simultaneously being one of the most capable, well-liked and admired characters in-universe, so there's that.

Deleted member 27872

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well I think thats pretty great and a step in the right direction atleast, better than alot of other jrpgs in terms of it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

DQ12 is still a good 3-4 years away so it's likely that PS5 will be the target platform and it will later be ported to the Switch successor.
DQXI PS4 exists because Horii wanted to make an HD game and PS4 was the only viable platform at the time. Square Enix allowed it on the condition that he simultaneously develop a version for the leading platform, 3DS. Outside of that, DQ games had always been developed for the market leader. Those were NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, DS, and 3DS. In 3-4 years, Switch will be the market leader in Japan by a huge margin. The amount of effort being poured into this definitive edition displays a substantial commitment to the platform and IMO a pretty clear indicator of their intentions for the future of the series.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the answer in SQEX meetings about the question of extra stuff for this release was "EVERYTHING". Probably even used that Gary Oldman gif. Yeah, i've made up my mind, this is how it went, and i'm not accepting facts or other things to change my mind. ^^

Wait hold up.

At this point, i wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the DQ teams are counting the time until nature has it's way with Sugiyama.

Deleted member 27872

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks like the answer in SQEX meetings about the question of extra stuff for this release was "EVERYTHING". Probably even used that Gary Oldman gif. Yeah, i've made up my mind, this is how it went, and i'm not accepting facts or other things to change my mind. ^^

At this point, i wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the DQ teams are counting the time until nature has it's way with Sugiyama.

I was honestly so close to dropping it despit my heavy nostalgia and love for the series, which also kinda hurt when the smash reveal happened, but this actually makes me happy to support the series again.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Man. I've been thinking about picking up the PS4 version, but apparently the Switch version is much improved in terms of content. On the other hand, part of me wanting to play Dragon Quest XI is in order to enjoy the great clean looking cell shaded graphics and the Switch version will be a definitive step down in this regard...

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I was honestly so close to dropping it despit my heavy nostalgia and love for the series, which also kinda hurt when the smash reveal happened, but this actually makes me happy to support the series again.

It's all guesses by me ... but i think that DQ XII will be the last one Sugiyama has any hand in. Dude is 88, DQ XII probably up to 3 years, if not longer, away.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
part of me wanting to play Dragon Quest XI is in order to enjoy the great clean looking cell shaded graphics and the Switch version will be a definitive step down in this regard...
this is how the game is looking in live gameplay demos, obviously a step down from pc/ps4 versions but it's still looking really good imo:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
high res US cover:

91AMRUEEqvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

nothing has been said about updating the other versions.
The box art suffers from a lack of background/foreground separation. Really hurts an otherwise good boxart

Given how the PS4 is performing in Japan and SE's continued lack of support for DQ in the west, PS5 lead is rather questionable

this is how the game is looking in live gameplay demos, obviously a step down from pc/ps4 versions but it's still looking really good imo:

The step down isn't so noticeable if you're not comparing to two side by side. Aside from the shadow draw distance and resolution, foliage draw distance, and rendering resolution, the games look near identical. It's quite impressive. I wonder if this will take advantage of the decision's better hardware

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Its more that since they didnt prioritise a 3DS at the beginning they lost out on more sales by not having a version out ealier, 3DS was in its twilight years when it finally released and had to fight with the PS4 version which from a casual onlooker looked better
Thats possible, although it will just be speculation if they lost much sale on releasing it at the time that they did. Its possible that there would be a noticeable decline anyway, since one of the reasons that DQIX sold really well was because of the multiplayer component, something that DQXI doesnt have. But in the end, that is also just speculation :)

I dont think there were many people who dropped buying DQXI all together because they saw that the PS4 version looked better than the 3DS version. In that case, they'd probably bought the PS4 version instead which added to the overall sale of the game. So the two releases werent fighting each other in that regards, but rather helped each other buy having different selling points (mainly 2D vs 3D, and console vs portable). Unless i'm misunderstanding what you mean.

Thanks.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The gaming stairs are getting closer and closer then because I need to get down and check closely to see it.

Because if each step "down" like this are trying to make a stairs, you're gonna need a serious amount of games to juste go one floor down.

Oct 27, 2017
What will super fast battle mode do, anything other than just faster animations? There were some difficulty spikes I dealt with early in game I wonder if it adds anything else

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got burnt out around the arena part of the story where you get the final two characters, maybe 15 hours in?

Loving NNK2 vs DQ11 so I dropped it for that BUT these changes make me want the Switch version. Also make me feel dumb for buying the PS4 version.

Is there any reason these aren't coming to other platforms? Seems like to could be an update or even paid DLC
because they actually want people to buy the switch version, like who would wait 1 year, 2 years for japan, to buy a inferior performing port at full price when you get a better performing version for like atleast half price if not even cheaper than that

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I really hope you can access the retro areas independent of the main game (i.e. like FFXV DLC), while I platinumed the PS4 game I dunno if I'm ready to spend another 100 hours on this just to see those areas.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
there's a system were you can marry some female characters or "live with" some male characters. it's unfortunate that the term "marriage" couldn't have been used for both, but i guess progress is progress.

https:///dragon-quest-xi-s-has-new-element-added-on-switch-yuji-horii-revealed/

Get bent, Sugiyama. I may still get this used, but this is a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.