• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Orchestral music you say? Welp, looks like I'm for sure not buying this on PS4, visuals be damned (especially since it seems like there's a slim chance any of this would ever make it to other platforms).

Time to go out and buy a switch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine Square Enix would handle it like they handled Octopath Traveler, as in they probably would release the new features as payable DLC, probably a year after release, and only on the PC version, if they do decide to bring the new features.
yeah. if the exclusivity/publishing deal is the same as octopath, the PC version may get the new content around september 2020.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath has new features on the steam release? I thought it was just a straight port with better fps/resolution. I might need to check that out if that has content.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Only thing that could make this version more insanely awesome is if they patched over the save transfer code feature thing to the PS4 version and let me put it into Switch.

But I guess thats getting greedy. Replaying the parts of the game I've been through already in 2D will be pretty nifty so I dont mind too much I guess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing that could make this version more insanely awesome is if they patched over the save transfer code feature thing to the PS4 version and let me put it into Switch.
that would probably be an easy patch to do since it's already in the japanese PS4 version, but it'd just make some people more angry, i don't think they'll do it.

Last edited:

TheNormalMan

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

But I guess thats getting greedy. Replaying the parts of the game I've been through already in 2D will be pretty nifty so I dont mind too much I guess.
I second this. Obviously it's not easy, but it can't be THAT hard. Hell, I'll settle for a website where I can upload my PS4 save and it spits out a save code for the Switch version. The fact I can replay my current 40 hour save in 2D lessens the blow, but I'm already strapped for time these days. Really hope they bring over the save transfer feature.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine Square Enix would handle it like they handled Octopath Traveler, as in they probably would release the new features as payable DLC, probably a year after release, and only on the PC version, if they do decide to bring the new features.
Octopath is a late port of an exclusive, the better comparison would be late Switch ports with added content being backported. This is what SE's track record is there:

Late ports where new content was backported
  • World of Final Fantasy: Maxima (as paid DLC, not to all platforms, day and date)
Late ports where new content wasn't backported
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • I am Setsuna
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions
  • Spelunker Party!
  • The World Ends with You - Final Remix
I don't think it's difficult to guess which side DQXIS will fall on. SE didn't even backport improvements from the western release back into the JP original on the same platform.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I would really want that they are porting DQ8 also, and to reply DQ8 first before playing this game.

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I really really want that special edition Dragon Quest Switch. Might be pricey, but hot damn is it beautiful.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, fuck them for not porting the soundtrack over to the PS4 version. No reason to not do that. The original is torturous to listen to.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
same, i would love to be able to replay the game. a version rendered in HD, with the content of the 3DS version and some touch ups to the UI would be an insta-buy for me.

Maybe they will do that, I recall we had informations that they porting more DQ games to Switch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, fuck them for not porting the soundtrack over to the PS4 version. No reason to not do that. The original is torturous to listen to.
the reason is clearly not wanting to pay to license the orchestral tracks. and if they did license them and sold the new ost as paid dlc, how many people would buy music dlc for a year old rpg? dlc for single player games rarely does well, much less if it's just music and most potential buyers have already finished the game.

Maybe they will do that, I recall we had informations that they porting more DQ games to Switch.
SE is so weird with DQ ports. they put 7 of them on mobile in a short span of time, but somehow can't do the same on consoles where i'm sure they'll sell a lot more than the mobile versions.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
SE is so weird with DQ ports. they put 7 of them on mobile in a short span of time, but somehow can't do the same on consoles where i'm sure they'll sell a lot more than the mobile versions.

I think that makes even better chances for Switch ports, because Switch runs on ARM CPU like most Android devices, and porting mobile games to Switch should be pretty easy and cheap.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
the reason is clearly not wanting to pay to license the orchestral tracks. and if they did license them and sold the new ost as paid dlc, how many people would buy music dlc for a year old rpg? dlc for single player games rarely does well, much less if it's just music and most potential buyers have already finished the game

I would for instance, it would give me an excuse to start back into the game. I would not pay full price for the Switch version for QoL updates and minor additional content for a year old game. I might buy it second hand or when it hits $20.

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath is a late port of an exclusive, the better comparison would be late Switch ports with added content being backported. This is what SE's track record is there:

• World of Final Fantasy: Maxima (as paid DLC, not to all platforms, day and date)
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • I am Setsuna
  • Spelunker Party!
I don't think it's difficult to guess which side DQXIS will fall on. SE didn't even backport improvements from the western release back into the JP original on the same platform.

While that doesn't look good, I still think we'll get the new content as DLC about a year later. Most of the games you listed here got relatively minor additions in their Switch ports, so they pretty much would've had to backport them as free patches. The changes to Dragon Quest XI, however, are large enough that they can sell them as 30$ DLC (like they did for WoFF Maxima).

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to take the resolution and framerate hit to experience all this new content, but the draw distance is really poor in the Treehouse demo. Foliage was fading in like 10 ft ahead, I just can't handle that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
While that doesn't look good, I still think we'll get the new content as DLC about a year later. Most of the games you listed here got relatively minor additions in their Switch ports, so they pretty much would've had to backport them as free patches. The changes to Dragon Quest XI, however, are large enough that they can sell them as 30$ DLC (like they did for WoFF Maxima).
They've never done that before though. WOFF got the Maxima DLC day and date with the new ports. And only PS4 got it, Vita was still left out.

The new content in DQXIS also dwarfs Maxima. That's actually probably more comparable to SaGa Scarlet Grace, TWEWY or DQH I&II (new story content/missions, new party members/playable characters, new areas, revised mechanics, etc). DQXIS adding things beyond those like like 3 additional soundtracks or an entirely new 2D mode (to the UE4 version at least) sort of set it apart in another league.

I think that SE couldn't even bother adding 1080p, VA and Draconian Quest to the Japanese PS4 original that sold 1.5m means they're probably done with the released versions as is. Western DQXI was a much weaker seller (under 500k btwn PS4 & PC) and they've already gone on record that they won't update the JP PS4 version due to it being on an older version of UE4 and improvements would require an entire engine update. Honestly, the only way I see DQXIS releasing on PS4/PC is maybe with a $60 new release. Otherwise it's probably not happening, although at this point it might be better to just portbeg for PS5 given the timing.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain

• Dragon Quest Builders
  • I am Setsuna
  • Spelunker Party!
DQ Builders just had QoL improvements, I Am Setsuna added multiplayer because of the joycons and The World Ends With You Final Remix couldn't be backported because it's exclusive to Switch lol Saga Scarlet Grace hasn't said anything about the content not being ported, and if everything goes well, FFXII might have a patch on PS4 soon, seeing as the PS4 version of FFIX just got patched and fixed the music bug. Would be cool to get cheats from the PC version of FFX on all consoles, and I'm still hoping for the PS4 release of the DQ Heroes I&II exclusive character, though, whenever that heads to the west.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DQ Builders just had QoL improvements, I Am Setsuna added multiplayer because of the joycons and The World Ends With You Final Remix couldn't be backported because it's exclusive to Switch lol Saga Scarlet Grace hasn't said anything about the content not being ported, and if everything goes well, FFXII might have a patch on PS4 soon, seeing as the PS4 version of FFIX just got patched and fixed the music bug. Would be cool to get cheats from the PC version of FFX on all consoles, and I'm still hoping for the PS4 release of the DQ Heroes I&II exclusive character, though, whenever that heads to the west.
No, DQB also has retro items and (most importantly) your Sabrecub added. Both are pretty significant additions that easily could've been added to the other versions as DLC.

TWEWY is a port of the iOS remaster with added content. SaGa SGA is almost a year old now and the added content also was never backedported to the Vita original. I wouldn't hold your breath for that stuff from FFXII, FFX/X-2 or DQH I&II either.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
If SE would make these updates available for the PS4 version I would gladly pay full price for it. But why would they :D

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to take the resolution and framerate hit to experience all this new content, but the draw distance is really poor in the Treehouse demo. Foliage was fading in like 10 ft ahead, I just can't handle that.

I thought the draw distance was generally very good - it's really just grass that pops in not far from the character but is that a game ruining thing? The game is shaping up to be one of the best looking on Switch

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to avoid everything about this game's previous release specifically to enjoy it on the Switch, that was a very long wait but is going to be so worth it.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I thought the draw distance was generally very good - it's really just grass that pops in not far from the character but is that a game ruining thing? The game is shaping up to be one of the best looking on Switch

You mean to tell me you don't play Dragon Quest games for the lush foliage? Surely you jest?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the draw distance isn't the best and there's some pop-in, but honestly i think the game is one of the best looking games on switch.

I think that SE couldn't even bother adding 1080p, VA and Draconian Quest to the Japanese PS4 original that sold 1.5m means they're probably done with the released versions as is. Western DQXI was a much weaker seller (under 500k btwn PS4 & PC) and they've already gone on record that they won't update the JP PS4 version due to it being on an older version of UE4 and improvements would require an entire engine update. Honestly, the only way I see DQXIS releasing on PS4/PC is maybe with a $60 new release. Otherwise it's probably not happening, although at this point it might be better to just portbeg for PS5 given the timing.
this port is on a newer version of UE4 compared to the ps4/pc versions too so again there's the issue of being unable to simply update the game and having to download basically an entire new build of the game.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It is indeed great looking on the Switch, but pop-in unfortunately is one of those graphical optimizations that annoy me. I would've actually preferred if they had just gotten rid of stuff that pops-in that close.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that makes even better chances for Switch ports, because Switch runs on ARM CPU like most Android devices, and porting mobile games to Switch should be pretty easy and cheap.
Being an ARM CPU won't have much bearing her since we're talking about ports of NES to 3DS games

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
two screenshots recently posted on twitter:

d90g_xbvaaaues097kzh.jpeg

d9-n0smvaaeqdxiw8ky1.jpeg

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Grr, I think I'm double dipping on this one. I loved this game on PC, and the new additions actually sound cool enough to make me want to replay on Switch. Probably in 2D mode, since I never got too far into the 3DS version (up to Gondolia)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We dont talking about NES games, DQ VII, DQ VIII and DQ X are ported to Android.
Also, 3DS also has ARM CPU.
I'm still not seeing what being on ARM has to do with making it easier. These are old games that will run on anything. The lack of ports is due to other reasons

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019

Wouldn't count on a FFXII patch for PS4 anytime soon - that isn't really how SE works. Bug fixes are one thing, while QoL improvements are another thing entirely. Think I'm going to spring for this, simply to have yet another JRPG on Switch

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'm still not seeing what being on ARM has to do with making it easier. These are old games that will run on anything. The lack of ports is due to other reasons

Porting game to similar hardware is easier, those games already run on ARM, so it's easier port them again to ARM than from PS1/PS2 to Switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.