• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Could be interesting to try this version... when it comes to PS5. Looking forward to the retirement of Sugiyama and the introduction of more liberal composers

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
One more screenshot from the official Japanese Dragon Quest XI Twitter page.
D9-n0sMVUAABxY0

And some more Dragon Quest XI S screenshots from V-Jump.
bl190624_02_R.jpg

bl190624_03_R.jpg

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you play Dragon Quest XI S in 2D mode, you'll get the classic style dialogue boxes. But it'll be nice if you can get the option of switching to classic style dialogue boxes in 3D mode.
lol. I dont hate the new ones but XI is a throwback kinda game and the menu style in the west (since VIII?) always feel like they come from a place of "well we need to pretty it up so those westerners will buy it"

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was this anniversary collection on the Wii that had the first three games. Would be cool to seem them bring that back for the next anniversary on Switch.
in japan, they actually ported 1, 2 and 3 to PS4 and 3DS when 11 was released since 11 is kinda sorta related to the original trilogy, they even gave you the first game for free if you finished 11. i really hope they do the same for switch and this time actually localize them as well.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS port of DQ1 looked hideous, so I hope they correct those issues if they decide to localize them this time around. It was clearly based off the mobile remake except uglier.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was probably answered in this thread already but will you just be able to use it when you have the outfit on? Don't get me wrong, I love the DQ8 outfit but I prefer to wear something else and be able to do it because D8 theme > DQ11 theme.
no, they're just bundled together in a dlc pack. once you have the dlc you can pick DQ8 music regardless of your outfit.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
This not coming to ps4 means I'll never buy a Dragon Quest game at launch again... The series had a standard of quality and when you bought it before it meant you were having all the content on the box because they shipped the game complete... This having a definitive version a year after it released was a slap in the face, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
This not coming to ps4 means I'll never buy a Dragon Quest game at launch again... The series had a standard of quality and when you bought it before it meant you were having all the content on the box because they shipped the game complete... This having a definitive version a year after it released was a slap in the face, honestly.

tbf, DQ11 on PS4 has more content than almost if not all other RPGs Ive played this gen

Nov 13, 2017
The PS4 version is still a 9/10 game with an insane amount of content. It's not like you were scammed.

Also nearly every AAA game on Earth nowadays has a GOTY edition at some point.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean a game getting more content in a later version doesn't mean it wasn't complete the first time at all. OG DQ11 had an absurd amount of content to begin with, this is just gravy.

People need to make peace with the fact that Square Enix needs to give people who already bought the original incentives to buy it again full price.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
I get being annoyed that the new additions are only available on the switch, but the version that is on PC/PS4 wasn't unfinished. After playing through it, I don't get how anyone could think it wasn't complete.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
The PS4 version is still a 9/10 game with an insane amount of content. It's not like you were scammed.

Well, when did the contents on a GOTY edition get locked out of reach for early buyers tho? Those are usually a cheaper way to buy the game with all dlc that were already available... It's totally not the same thing.

Nov 13, 2017
I swear if this game doesn't sell 10 million copies....

I know it won't reach 1 million :(
I believe the PS4 version is the second best selling title on that console in Japan. Factor in that + more people owning the Switch than PS4 in Japan + Japanese gamers loving titles they can play on the go...

I think it'll do great!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I really don't understand this sentiment. I mean I understand the frustration that there's more of a game you like on another system. That's fine, but turning it around to say it somehow proves the game wasn't complete doesn't make any sense. Did you feel it was complete when you bought it and played through, or is it suddenly not complete now that you see extra stuff? They can't exist in a state of 'complete' until they're suddenly not even though nothing actually changed with the initial package.

Also this isn't a year after initial release, it's two. And you can tell they aren't just unlocking stuff. They're working on a lot of this.

Not wanting to buy games at launch is a fine position to have. Lord knows you can get more content for cheaper later in pretty much every game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhh there's more options than when OT was out.
true but it's a much bigger game with higher production values and nintendo has featured it heavily in directs (including the E3 one), not to mention the inclusion of a character in smash will surely help. i don't think it's crazy to say it can outsell octopath.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
it'll pass 1 million super easily. probably end up at ~2 WW. don't forget that nintendo is publishing it outside japan and they somehow managed to sell more than a million copies of octopath.

Octopath was also a brand new game. Dragon Quest XI is a year old in Europe and NA at this point, and the franchise isn't that popular overseas to begin with. Definitely think it stands a chance at hitting those numbers in the west but not 'easily'.

I'll be doing my bit though. 100%'d the game on PS4 but my 'Nintendo Collection' of DQ games needs as few gaps as possible, plus all of these additions...

Question for anyone: can you play through the whole game in the classic/SNES visual mode from start to finish?

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, uh... Japan getting the English Voices. It's DLC but that's still really cool.

Everything about this is really shaping up to be the definitive edition. I do wonder if this version will, down the road, also end up on Steam as well, but I feel the ship has sailed for PS4 owners (unfortunately). Curious if we'll see the older DQ games also ported as well (first three I believe). They did that for the 3DS and PS4 to cross promote Dragon Quest XI, so maybe they'll do that, and beyond, for this?

As someone who owns the PS4 version and has sunk nearly 40 hours in to it, it is extremely annoying to me that I can't pay for a DLC to add this stuff on.

Square seems to have a bad track record with this type of thing. Look at what happened with Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age on Switch/Xbox. Several import qualify of life improvements that didn't and won't get patched in to PS4 or PC.

If they offer a way to migrate my progress back and forth from PS4 and Switch, I'll double dip. Otherwise I'll stick to playing the game in (almost) 4K.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Every GOTY edition comes out to all platforms, I would love this to see most of this content come back to the PS4 and PC but I don't see it happen and that's a shame because something like this should come back out as dlc on all platforms the game is out on and I see this turning people off that bought dragon quest on ps4 and pc for future iterations.

I really don't understand this sentiment. I mean I understand the frustration that there's more of a game you like on another system. That's fine, but turning it around to say it somehow proves the game wasn't complete doesn't make any sense. Did you feel it was complete when you bought it and played through, or is it suddenly not complete now that you see extra stuff? They can't exist in a state of 'complete' until they're suddenly not even though nothing actually changed with the initial package.

Also this isn't a year after initial release, it's two. And you can tell they aren't just unlocking stuff. They're working on a lot of this.

Not wanting to buy games at launch is a fine position to have. Lord knows you can get more content for cheaper later in pretty much every game.
It's an understandable position to take especially if this content never comes to other platforms.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so im gonna wait a whole year just to know if I should still get it on switch or wait for an upgrade on ps4

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks better and better the more I see of it.

In terms of sales, I think it will do well in Japan and sell a decent amount of copies in the west too. Its basically extra sales for a game that already has sold millions of copies. The Switch version is where they will get the profits because I don't think there is a large team working on it.

For me personally its one of my most anticipated games this year, together with Fire Emblem. It also happens to release on the same day as Baldurs Gate 2 so its going to be tough to play both games. I think I will skip BG2 for now, and play that one in December or something where there are no notable releases planned as far as I know.

So for those that already played this game, is it better than 8 and 9? I love those games.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the people saying that the PS4/PC version was complete, but here are my thoughts on the matter: I bought DQXI for PS4 at launch just to support the DQ franchise in the West even knowing that I wouldn't be able to play it for a while (didn't have much time to play, and I was still in the middle of another RPG anyway).

Less than half a year after this (5 months!)
, the definitive edition was revealed and my still-unplayed copy became a much inferior version. Yes, my copy is still a complete game, but I just don't want to even start playing it anymore now that I know there is a much better version of the same game that I could play instead (especially because the S version also fixes that horrendous soundtrack). It would bother me to the point that it just wouldn't be fun to play anymore.

So in that sense, my support for the DQ franchise was rewarded with making me not want to play the game I bought after only 5 months. I love that the DQ developers went the extra mile with the additions, but the timing is way too fast after the original Western release and if they're not releasing this content as DLC on other platforms, it does feel like a huge slap in the face of their fans who supported them on other platforms, and it makes me not want to buy DQ games in the future.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
, it does feel like a huge slap in the face of their fans who supported them on other platforms, and it makes me not want to buy DQ games in the future.
drop the entitlement, you know what would be a real huge slap in the face? releasing a inferior version on switch with nothing new a year later(2 years in japan) at full price where as you could easily get the ps4/pc version for half the price if not more than half the price

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
drop the entitlement, you know what would be a real huge slap in the face? releasing a inferior version on switch with nothing new a year later(2 years in japan) at full price where as you could easily get the ps4/pc version for half the price if not more than half the price
Hmm, I don't think that would be so disappointing for most considering so many companies are doing exactly that. However I do love that they're doing this for Switch owners. Like many I just wish that they would also bring the extra content to the existing versions as a DLC pack - if priced appropriately it would bring the total price of the PS4/PC versions back up, getting rid of the price difference or making the Switch version the cheapest overall.
That would be a really nice solution, and it might happen some time after the Switch version releases. But it's not looking likely, since the Switch version seems to be built on a later version of Unreal Engine 4.

And you're completely right, I'll drop the entitlement. It is completely my fault for buying it at launch and naively believing that any QoL improvements (the music)/additions would be patched in or sold as DLC. But keep in mind that launch was in September 2018 here in the West, and the definitive edition with all its features was shown in February 2019. It makes a lot more sense for Japan as you say, but that doesn't change how frustratingly short that was here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no there is nothing about entitlement, I have no issues with the switch getting the updates but the updates should also be available on other platforms for dlc otherwise it's insulting to anyone that had bought other versions, entitlement is thinking the switch should be the only platform to get the improvements.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
entitlement is thinking the switch should be the only platform to get the improvements.
that's not entitlement, that's just what seems to be happening (unless there's an update for the other versions in the future which i hope is the case). entitlement is feeling like you have a right to features that were developed after you bought a game and feeling like you're being screwed over when the publisher isn't offering you those features.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah no there is nothing about entitlement, I have no issues with the switch getting the updates but the updates should also be available on other platforms for dlc otherwise it's insulting to anyone that had bought other versions, entitlement is thinking the switch should be the only platform to get the improvements.
It's not insulting, those platforms got the game 1-2 years prior.

Or is it also insulting to Switch owners had to wait 1-2 years for the game iyo? What would've preferable and prevented any insult to any fanbase; all versions held back 1-2 years and launched feature complete simultaneously?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is the very definition of entitlement, you're like a kid who's throwing a fit because a sibling got a new toy and you didnt
Delusional are you and anyone defending other versions not getting the content. I'm glad the switch are getting these improvements but I want the ps4 version and pc version to get them as well. It's not asking the world, it's asking what should happen.

that's not entitlement, that's just what seems to be happening (unless there's an update for the other versions in the future which i hope is the case). entitlement is feeling like you have a right to features that were developed after you bought a game and feeling like you're being screwed over when the publisher isn't offering you those features.
It is absolutely entitlement, I would have no issues with them charging for content to come out on other platforms but if the content doesn't come out for ps4 and pc than it's not acceptable.

It's not insulting, those platforms got the game 1-2 years prior.

Or is it also insulting to Switch owners had to wait 1-2 years for the game iyo? What would've preferable and prevented any insult to any fanbase; all versions held back 1-2 years and launched feature complete simultaneously?
It absolutely is insulting. There's nothing wrong with the switch getting extra content but every other version should as well, I'm not asking for the extra content as soon as the switch version launches but I want the content to come out for ps4 and pc and again I have no problem with them charging for it as well.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
If Smash doesn't help it sell more than 500k in the west, then I entirely give up on the chances of DQ ever being popular.

I know people egged on The Hero hard so it feels more like a monkey paw rather than a golden opportunity but one can dream

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely entitlement
it isn't, but i don't think there's any point in arguing about that.

I would have no issues with them charging for content to come out on other platforms but if the content doesn't come out for ps4 and pc than it's not acceptable.
i'm not sure if it's acceptable or not but it is really annoying how things are happening. i imagine i'd be annoyed to if i had played the ps4 version already and a more complete version came later. i don't think i would feel entitled to the new stuff, that's just how things happen sometimes. as a mostly handheld gamer i'm used to getting inferior or crappy versions of games so i would just sigh and move on.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Dont worry they will put out the PS4 version again with all the features in a year and charge us another 60 bucks.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's totally fine the Switch audience had to wait 1-2 years to get the game? And the western 3DS audience misses it completely?
The ps4 and pc versions didn't come out to last year and yes it is, It's good the switch version is getting this extra content but it shouldn't be at the expense of the other versions of the game. All the versions of the game should get the content eventually even if it's charged.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017

I feel the same way. You're telling me they couldn't have sold this as a $10 dlc or given PS4 the orchestrated nsoundtrack right off the bat? It's a joke.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The ps4 and pc versions didn't come out to last year and yes it is, It's good the switch version is getting this extra content but it shouldn't be at the expense of the other versions of the game. All the versions of the game should get the content eventually even if it's charged.
Well how entitled of you thinking it's fine that some systems wait years for the same game and others don't get it at all.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how you felt that when the series is notorious for having remakes and what not barely a few years after the original launch

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same way. You're telling me they couldn't have sold this as a $10 dlc or given PS4 the orchestrated nsoundtrack right off the bat? It's a joke.
the soundtrack bit is simple. sugiyama wasn't willing to license it initially. i'm sure they would have LOVED to be able to get the best possible soundtrack for the biggest and highest budget DQ game ever. it's not like they were holding the orchestral soundtrack back for this version.
as for the other stuff, they feel too substantial for a simple $10 dollar dlc pack, not to mention that they're made in a newer version of UE4 so it wouldn't have been a simple patch (the same reason japanese ps4 players didn't get the upgrades of the international ps4/pc versions). if they were to come i imagine they'd be as part of a full price re-release (like persona 5 royal).

Status
Not open for further replies.