• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So excited! Glad I waited, though glad for others it at least looks like there's a save transfer of sorts.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The dq 8 overworld theme replacement is hilarious, I actually swapped them out on pc when I did the orchestral mod. They KNOW the 11 thene is bad. Really awesome extras for the switch crew, hope it comes as dlc for other versions later. If not, oh well...I fixed the abysmal music on pc so that was good enough for me.

This is the best one since 8, yall are going to love it!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what does this mean? even more new story content?
screenshot2019-06-12asljkw.png

Curious if we'll see the older DQ games also ported as well (first three I believe). They did that for the 3DS and PS4 to cross promote Dragon Quest XI, so maybe they'll do that, and beyond, for this?
i was hoping DQ 1-3 would be announced as well.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Getting this day 1 with my voucher is becoming more and more tempting. This deserves being called the definitive edition.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are the odds you'll be able to transfer your PC save to Switch?

I put like 40 hours into the PC version, but chose to hard stop and wait for Switch. These additions are too meaty to ignore.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I dare SE to "update" western release to include just code transfer effectively telling people that the version of the game they bought a mere year ago is outdated and if they want to access additional content and QOL improvements which could have been DLC to buy another version for the game on another platform.

For that reason I don't think they'll do it because it's a PR bomb ready to explode.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Retro areas are back from the 3DS version, yes!
This version is worthy of that Definitive Edition name!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds you'll be able to transfer your PC save to Switch?

I put like 40 hours into the PC version, but chose to hard stop and wait for Switch. These additions are too meaty to ignore.
it just requires SE to add the feature already existing in the japanese version to western versions. i have a feeling they won't tho, as that would just make the people who want patches for the existing versions even more angry.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it just requires to add the feature already existing in the japanese version to western versions. i have a feeling they won't tho, as that would just make the people who want patches for the existing versions even more angry.

Isn't it just PS4 to Switch that's confirmed as a save transfer?

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
it just requires SE to add the feature already existing in the japanese version to western versions. i have a feeling they won't tho, as that would just make the people who want patches for the existing versions even more angry.

I agree. It is a shame there won't be a definitive version with the best graphics and all the content...

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah but PC version was just made for when they localized the game, it's not really a big deal for them in japan. if they were to add the save-transfer future to western PS4 version, i assume PC would get the patch too.

Fingers crossed, then. It's not the end of the world if I start over, but it would still suck to throw all that progress out (I made it as far as the dungeon inside the mural).

Most likely the Switch version won't have 60 fps and other visual compromises. Sure would be nice if they just let you add the extra features as an upgrade, but that isn't happening.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds really cool to play this one with so much stuff.
The 2D to 3D toggle sounds fun to try it in important scenes :v

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's all remember that this was the first game ever announced for the Switch. They're really going all out with it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I am shocked to see Japanese voice acting was only added now. It is so odd because I watched two reviews where they clearly loved it but the original game sounds more and more like a paid beta when I read details like this.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
The save transfer is a good idea. Still not worth full price.

I will get the game second hand after Christmas.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i love how BIG this definitive edition is shaping up to be.

Never played DQXI but it looks like I'm in for one hell of a time :D

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those additions are cool. Looking forward to replaying it eventually. Probably won't at launch since September is stacked.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah definitely glad I waited here. And it looks well worth full price despite being a late port, so I think I'm Day One without reservations.

I want to ride that goddamn golem.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Calling the PS4 version a beta almost seems too generous at this point. More like an alpha.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The changes to the Switch version seem substantial enough that I will probably double dip. I got the platinum and 100 hours of playtime the first time around and I am actually excited to do that all again.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the pc version like 2 days after launch but never put time into because it didn't run as well as I hoped. Am I stupid for buying the Switch version and just writing the pc version off as a waste of money?

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I bought the pc version like 2 days after launch but never put time into because it didn't run as well as I hoped. Am I stupid for buying the Switch version and just writing the pc version off as a waste of money?
I put 80 hours into the PC version but fell off in the middle of the post game and I'm still buying the Switch version lol

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I mean, I would love say a $20 DLC update for the changes (don't need orchestral thanks to modding) , but it's not likely to happen. So, might as well unfortunately.

Hell, I would absolutely import that Switch bundle but not when new hardware will be out soon.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
the game recently got a date and several new trailers. for those, visit here:

today, there was another japanese live stream for the definitive edition, there's a lot of new stuff so i thought a sperate thread was needed. i'm posting info posted on the twitter account. i'll update the OP with more info if the come.
here's my previous list of new features in the definitive edition:

1. new trailer:

2. cover art, there's something new in the upper right corner? the cover is the same for the western version.
d83ert6uyauv2nuuaksd.jpeg

3. there's a voice drama DLC, 4 to 5 hours in length. included with the special edition, separate purchase for the normal edition. many stories about different characters, including stories about their past. possible to display the character the story is talking about?
d83f0h7uwaa-sjs78keo.jpeg

d83guenv4ayxzw10bkxu.jpeg

4. another bit of DLC included in the special edition lets you change the appearance of two characters to be like DQ8, as well as the ability to change the field music tracks to those of DQ8!
d83hofeu8aadewpvjkfu.jpeg

5. for japanese version, english VA is DLC included with the special edition. text is still japanese only. western versions get japanese and english VA, no dlc.

6. hardware bundle
d83ikphv4aa5o5kedjfk.jpeg

7. new monsters to ride
d83jmcuu8aa1dzup8k8j.jpeg

8. super fast battle speed
d83j18yuiaax26g0kkl3.jpeg

9. photo mode!
d83kdn7v4aepqnmank0l.jpeg

10. retro areas from DQ 1 to 10 return form the 3DS version. previously, the areas from DQ 1 to 6 were 2D, and the areas from DQ 7 to 10 were 3D. in this version, all areas are 2D.
d83ksjiucaau5uqvmj1l.jpeg

11. revival spell! you can carry over your progress from the 3DS or PS4 version and continue from were you left off in those versions, using a code. probably japan-only.
d83llyjuwagbkexelk8q.jpeg

12. a look at the hero in DQ8 costume
d83nnkduiaarra1zwkjr.jpeg

13. an area from DQ8 translated to pixel art
d83n99lu8aipnssf9jmy.jpeg

14. long list of additions/improvements in the definitive edition
d83oz2kv4aa1-y3w2khk.jpeg

15. you can do blacksmithing from anywhere on the field, can also buy missing material on the spot
d83poyzu0aejjisusklr.jpeg

16. more photo mode screens
d83puwjv4aahh_sfgks6.jpeg

d83pdxtvsaae4sbdqjuh.jpeg

17. slime pro controller
d83tl6cuiaekdeqaikb7.jpeg

woof, that was exhausting. i haven't played the game and i'm using twitter translations, let me know if there's anything wrong.

What I really want to know is the additional story content substantial

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That special edition is pure sex, got damn. Also love how definitive this version is, Square Enix is putting in some major effort to support the Switch, thankfully.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
WOW @ the amount of QoL changes/improvements. I'm getting it when it releases here, but I doubt I'll replay it anytime soon (maybe in a couple of years :P)

Navi

Oct 27, 2017
I am shocked to see Japanese voice acting was only added now. It is so odd because I watched two reviews where they clearly loved it but the original game sounds more and more like a paid beta when I read details like this.
Dragon Quest games have never had voice acting in Japan. The first release didn't as well to keep up with tradition. Many japanese fans prefer to play the game that way. They just added them to this version as a value added proposition.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
"- the retro areas from the 3DS version are back, you get to revisit areas from each of the past 10 dragon quest games"

Oh yeeeeaaaaaah

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I feel really dumb for buying the game twice on PS4 now. I wonder if they'll keep the PS4 save transfer option in the western release.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
bummed that this won't be patched in/offered as dlc for the existing dqxi verisons :(

Same, even if the PS4 got the QoL features for a price I would be happy.

No interest in the 3DS nonsense, the story DLC from the look of it won't be much. May be half an hour for each character if it is what I expect. Probably won't get the audio drama either.

I am buying it second hand for switch. SE or Nintendo aren't getting any more of my money for this title other than a PS4 patch.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Same, even if the PS4 got the QoL features for a price I would be happy.

No interest in the 3DS nonsense, the story DLC from the look of it won't be much. May be half an hour for each character if it is what I expect. Probably won't get the audio drama either.

I am buying it second hand for switch. SE or Nintendo aren't getting any more of my money for this title other than a PS4 patch.
Support DQ, bro! We need more of these games.

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
I put 80 hours into the PC version but fell off in the middle of the post game and I'm still buying the Switch version lol

I put about the same amount of time into the game but finished the post game. I'll still be double dipping on this. Don't know if it'll be day 1 or not, but there's enough improvements here that I'll definitely want to play it again (unless the unlikely happens and the PC version gets the additional stuff patched/offered as DLC).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really really hope the classic menu style is usable in the western version. I know they like to play up he more detailed look as a feature in the west, but I honestly prefer the old look. It is less skeuomorphic.

I wish the switch release was a global/identical release.

Also, really is lame that the first (maybe?) Switch controller with symmetric sticks is a freaking slime controller. I might be interested lol.

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This looks better than I expected it would. PS4 was already a 900p/30fps game so I thought it would look noticably worse, but it holds up really well!

Status
Not open for further replies.