• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Will all of this content be patched into the other versions or is this all switch exclusive?

So far, it seems to be exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version.

But I think there might be a chance all the exclusive Dragon Quest XI S features might be available as payable DLC for the PC version a year after Dragon Quest XI S's release, considering Square Enix did say they're unsure if they're bringing the exclusive Dragon Quest XI S features to the PlayStation 4 and PC versions. And Square Enix did recently release Octopath Traveler on PC. I could be wrong though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far, it seems to be exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version.

But I think there might be a chance all the exclusive Dragon Quest XI S features might be available as payable DLC for the PC version a year after Dragon Quest XI S's release, considering Square Enix did say they're unsure if they're bringing the exclusive Dragon Quest XI S features to the PlayStation 4 and PC versions. And Square Enix did recently release Octopath Traveler on PC. I could be wrong though.
yeah i think pc version has a slightly higher chance than the ps4 version. all 3 platform holders care less about their exclusivity deals ending with content being released on pc.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of a hilarious situation all around.

I remember when the Western release of DQXI on PS4 and PC got announced and people got laughed at for being mad that Square Enix were taking their sweet time with the Switch version.

Now here we are, almost a year later and the Switch is getting a ridiculously overhauled version. And now PS4 and PC players want the Switch-exclusive content.

Life really works in mysterious ways, my friends.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to buy this regardless, but goddamn, the amount of new stuff and changes is very surprising. I love the glamour options especially; it was frustrating having to stick to a particular set for way longer than I should have just because I wanted the characters to look cool. 2D mode looks fantastic too.

I'm a bit conflicted about the forge and horse being available anywhere tho. The forge because the camping feature is great and this devalues a bit, but mostly because now you won't have any reason not to compulsively make new equipment as soon as you get materials, which can harm the pacing a lot, and the horse because it'll make wandering around even less dangerous but eh, that's not that big of an issue, I guess.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's easy to say prioritizing PS4 was a clear mistake in hindsight, but I do think it's not difficult to rationalize how they could've come to that decision at the time. Sony was pushing hard for JP content and even in 2013 they'd secured big hitters like FFXV and MH5, Horii wanted to make an HD console game building off DQVIII, I think there was a general sentiment in the industry around then that PS4 would do alot better in Japan than has ended up being the case.
Yeah, i agree. And betting on the wrong platform in that regards doesnt necessarily mean that the outcome was bad in the end, both from a business and consumer perspective. Maybe that is also what mazi ment. I mean, if they had made it 3DS exclusive, they wouldnt have had the 3D/Unreal Engine 4 version (i know the 3DS version also has a 3D, version but not in the same scope as the UE4 version). If they didnt have that, the Switch version would be less compelling, in my opinon. Having that added to the Switch version including the 2D version makes it a great package. I wont be surprised if the Switch version can end up selling around 2 million. So even if this wasnt exactly initially planned, it might turn out for the best in the end.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
thiis feels like a brand new game holy SHIT

The best JRPG of the year becomes the best JRPG of the generation, free

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to think this was the first game announced for the Switch, or NX at the time, all the way back in 2015, it also seems to be one of, if not the, best PS4 port to the system we've seen.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
just FYI OP, the thing in the upper right hand corner of the box art is a thing you see throughout the game that plays a big role in the third act/postgame.

I think the only thing the game's really missing is a way to separate alternate outfits from the armor pieces they're anchored to. Some outfits look really cool but the stats end up being worse, which means you don't have a lot of choice if you're playing on hard mode(s).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i agree. And betting on the wrong platform in that regards doesnt necessarily mean that the outcome was bad in the end, both from a business and consumer perspective. Maybe that is also what mazi ment. I mean, if they had made it 3DS exclusive, they wouldnt have had the 3D/Unreal Engine 4 version (i know the 3DS version also has a 3D, version but not in the same scope as the UE4 version). If they didnt have that, the Switch version would be less compelling, in my opinon. Having that added to the Switch version including the 2D version makes it a great package. I wont be surprised if the Switch version can end up selling around 2 million. So even if this wasnt exactly initially planned, it might turn out for the best in the end.

On the other hand we would probably be talking about DQXII for Switch/PS4 now if DQXI had just been a 3DS game. Instead DQXII is probably another four years off.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Posting this here just in case anyone else missed it but my goodness it looks and sounds great, I didn't watch the whole video as I don't want to be spoiled but really looking forward to this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posting this here just in case anyone else missed it but my goodness it looks and sounds great, I didn't watch the whole video as I don't want to be spoiled but really looking forward to this.

it's definitely one of the best looking games on the system, and one of the best looking ps4 to switch ports

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
just FYI OP, the thing in the upper right hand corner of the box art is a thing you see throughout the game that plays a big role in the third act/postgame.

I think the only thing the game's really missing is a way to separate alternate outfits from the armor pieces they're anchored to. Some outfits look really cool but the stats end up being worse, which means you don't have a lot of choice if you're playing on hard mode(s).
They actually did show a glamour option on stream today, so you can have your characters wear any special outfit regardless of stats.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this will look in handheld mode. I'm not expecting much, but I was excited about how the game looked docked until they opened up the equipment menu and all the UI looked crisp while the character was supper muddy and soft. An understandable compromise but still a bummer...

But that got confirmed today! The treehouse footage shows how the player retains the DQ8 outfit-look while equipping a different set.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaan I want to play all that new content but don't want to play through the entire game again (also don't want to move away from the PC version). Super torn, because that sounds great... so much new stuff and great changes.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i think pc version has a slightly higher chance than the ps4 version. all 3 platform holders care less about their exclusivity deals ending with content being released on pc.
Very very unlikely that they would add all this content in a patch or as DLC for the older versions. A complete re-release years after the Switch release would be an option, but i dont think the game has sold good enough for SE to even consider this kind of re-release.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand we would probably be talking about DQXII for Switch/PS4 now if DQXI had just been a 3DS game. Instead DQXII is probably another four years off.
Good point. I wonder if DQ12 is already under developement. DQ11 for Switch might have been a side project while also working on DQ12, but i dont know.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, like that, i understand.

Yeah, if they had done that (3DS exclusive), the Switch version wouldnt likely have been made in this fashion, indeed.

Sure, i know :) He said "even with that addition it failed to reach the numbers of past games", and had to make the Switch version to make up for that, and then said that they bet on the wrong platform. So i thought he ment that picking the wrong platform was referring to not having the Switch version ready as the same day as the PS4 and 3DS version.
Its more that since they didnt prioritise a 3DS at the beginning they lost out on more sales by not having a version out ealier, 3DS was in its twilight years when it finally released and had to fight with the PS4 version which from a casual onlooker looked better

Oct 25, 2017
A new character was made for the L'Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles.

D85ASI4WkAE7sXF.jpg

Between her and Android 21, Toriyama has tapped into a dark power.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Beyond angry with SE for downgrading the PS4 version with cheap music when they could have easily included it.

The only great SE RPG they released in years was purposefully sabotaged in this disgusting way.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very skeptical of all of these gameplay options. Some must make the game worse and it's not like I would know prior, due to not having played the game. Having more options is not always better.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Everything about this sounds absolutely fabulous. I want it so bad.

I hope we get the vocal drama content in the western version too, even if it's only a text translation.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In case anyone was doubting it before, I think it's 100% safe to assume that Switch will be the lead platform for DQ12.

Let's wait to see how DQ11s performs first.

DQ12 is still a good 3-4 years away so it's likely that PS5 will be the target platform and it will later be ported to the Switch successor.

May 30, 2018
  • Switch between voice languages (Gorgeous Edition-only).

is this confirmed? i saw dual language confirmed elsewhere but no mention of the Gorgeous Edition requirement for that. and related, is there anywhere to import the Gorgeous Edition? amazon.co.jp says they won't ship to my country (USA)

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Damn that save transfer feature would be incredible. If they don't patch that into western ps4 that's a dick move.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Just watched it not too long ago, looks great!

But that got confirmed today! The treehouse footage shows how the player retains the DQ8 outfit-look while equipping a different set.

I love when games have this feature

BahamutX83

Mar 13, 2019
Florida
With all these wonderful additions I really wonder if there's any chance of the Switch getting the DQ 1-3 ports. That's the ONLY thing I can think of that I still want from DQ11. Such an amazing game!

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
is this confirmed? i saw dual language confirmed elsewhere but no mention of the Gorgeous Edition requirement for that. and related, is there anywhere to import the Gorgeous Edition? amazon.co.jp says they won't ship to my country (USA)
there is no gorgeous edition in the west so i assume the jpn audio will be included as free dlc for the west version if its not included on cart in the west

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Do we know performance specs yet (framerate and res)?

From the live streams, performance looks very good (30 FPS but solid).

As for Res...I wouldn't expect much as base PS4 is already 900p and it looks fairly low res based on the streams. I wouldn't be shocked if this was a 720p docked/540ishp handheld situation but there is no confirmation yet.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Actually bummed the DQ7-10 quests got demade into 2D. Seemed cool they built those in low-rent 3D to mirror the hardware at the time on 3DS.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not buying another edition for some extra additions. Make it an expansion for PS4 and I'll pay

Status
Not open for further replies.