• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://sea.ign.com/switch/141780/news/dragon-quest-xi-will-have-to-sell-well-in-the-west-for-futur

Dragon Quest XI finally saw a release on PS4 and Steam in North America and Europe this month. But if Western fans want to enjoy future iterations as well, the game needs to sell.

"We need Dragon Quest to sell in the West, even just a certain amount, if we want to keep making [localized versions]." Dragon Quest XI producer Hokuto Okamoto told IGN Japan at TGS 2018.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
1.) The notion of holding future releases hostage if some pretermined number isn't hit is a bad practice. Ask Capcom how well that works out for them.
2.) You released against Spiderman for fuck's sake. You'll probably have good legs but it's the second worst weekend to release besides against Red Dead.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it sells well enough. I'm enjoying it immensely and have recommended it to anyone I can. Will likely double dip on the switch version too.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
How to measure that "sell well"? 300k? How much does it require to hit the break even point?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Welp. Then they better hope DQ11 sold well on full price then lol. Or they risk another VC fiasco again.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I will purchase it soon. Hopefully the time and effort they're putting into the Switch version will pay off for them.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody say if OT sold a million by this point?, like 3 weeks afterwards right, perhaps thats what we have to look for

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I have said, outside of FF, Square Enix seems intent on killing off several franchises. Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and they let IO Interactive leave with HITMAN so yeah, this is why im not the biggest Square Enix fan.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That'll only happen if Sugiyama is gone, the sexualized outfits are out, and the game actually gets some actual marketing.

So pretty much the exact opposite of this? I get the points you made here but out of the 3 you actually named, marketing is probably all it needs.

Pretty sure the PS4 version is selling really well, steam version? Not so much based on one of the recent threads.

I'm sure we will see more DQ games hitting the west.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey you know what would help SE? If you didn't release it in the same month as Spider-man and your own biggest title of this year Tomb Raider, August was completely empty of any big games and you ignored it.

Also don't let yourself get played by some 80 year old fossil because he wants to sell CD's and concert tickets.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot blame this on anyone but yourselves, Square Enix. Your complete incompetence with the series overall in the west is your own failure, not the fans.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I am used to seeing future game releases being used as hostage on Nintendo systems, seeing this pop up for the PS4/PC is pretty weird.

I was under the impression that it was selling well, is it the ERA bubble in effect again?

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The game reviewed extremely well and has had fantastic word of mouth. DQ has never been this healthy in the West.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
That'll only happen if Sugiyama is gone, the sexualized outfits are out, and the game actually gets some actual marketing.

How many people outside of Era do you think actually know about Composer's garbage opinions? Further, how many of those aware, cared enough to opt out of buying? (Hint: No where near enough to have an impact, even here it's very popular game.)

When has "sexualized'' outfits ever demonstrably hurt a games sales? Didn't hurt NieR at least. (may have given it a boost even.)

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
1.) The notion of holding future releases hostage if some pretermined number isn't hit is a bad practice. Ask Capcom how well that works out for them.
not really. It could indicate a market is not as interested and you can just save more money by not doing it or doing subs only. its a business not a charity.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the last main series entry on a major console was DQ8 in 2004 so I mean maybe don't release games every 14 years if you want to establish a fanbase? Also don't release against Spider-Man next time. That being said it seems like it's selling okay—hopefully we'll get lots more Dragon Quest in the future.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many people outside of Era do you think actually know about Composer's garbage opinions? Further, how many of those aware, cared enough to opt out of buying? (Hint: No where near enough to have an impact, even here it's very popular game.)

When has "sexualized'' outfits ever demonstrably hurt a games sales? Didn't hurt NieR at least. (may have given it a boost even.)

You don't get to say one thing than try to be sly and pretend its in fact the opposite.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
At least on Steam, it seems to be selling well. That SteamSpy estimate of 50k-100k that people were freaking out about earlier now is an estimate of 100k-200k and the game hasn't even been out a month yet. I can't imagine that the game is selling worse on PS4 given the series' history. And I also can't imagine that a couple hundred thousand sales at full price isn't more than enough to justify an English localization.

This really seems to be a case of stating the obvious in an attempt to try to drum up more sales more than anything else.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a thought maybe they should have actually released the damn 3DS game over a year ago. Maybe they should have actually been working on the Switch version when they announced it.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Square-Enix with every non-Final Fantasy franchise:

tenor.gif

To that I say:

tenor.gif

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I mean the last main series entry on a major console was DQ8 in 2004 so I mean maybe don't release games every 14 years if you want to establish a fanbase? Also don't release against Spider-Man next time. That being said it seems like it's selling okay—hopefully we'll get lots more Dragon Quest in the future.

DQ9 released in 2009 on a major device, and sold more than DQ8 in the West. That said, I get your point that SE is mind-numbingly stupid when it comes to handling DQ in the West.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll pass on begging or being jerked around. I only did that for yakuza 5 and I swore never again. If these companies don't want our money then fine there's plenty of other games to play.