• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/dragon-quest-xi-pc-details-native-4k

Nier: Automata was critically acclaimed when it was released this time last year. Its PC version had a tougher time, though, suffering multiple problems that persisted for months. Dragon Quest XI's team is well aware of these problems, says assistant producer Hikari Kubota, and is keen to avoid them.

As for what the PC version will ultimately offer, Kubota says it won't be a straight port. It will include "additional settings and options to appease players," and will run in native 4K. The team is currently evaluating what settings they can add.

It is nice to see Square Enix at least mention the problems Nier Automata has on PC, they at least seem to be aware of them. Even better if they actually learned from it.

Defeat me if old.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If they learned from them, what better than actually release a patch? That makes me really wary of the DQXI PC version. Not even a single patch is really shitty.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that they acknowledge Nier has some problems on PC and have yet to do anything about it lol

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I mean its a PC release in 2018....it better offers 4K support.
Actually, given that it's a 3D PC game at any point in time at all, it should support absolutely any arbitrary rendering resolution available on the platform it is running on.

This whole new focus on "4k support" seems to come from console marketing and is inherently a misfit for PC.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I recently sunk multiple playthroughs into Nier: A on pc and didn't have any issues. Never even bothered downloading the fan graphical pack. But its good that DQ XI will be a focus for them.

Mar 23, 2018
Aaaaaw yaaaaas

What about 21:9 support? :) I know there will be people that will get it there somehow, but an official response is always nice. FF XV's release on PC should be the stone that sets the way for SE's PC ports as far as options and settings go

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, given that it's a 3D PC game at any point in time at all, it should support absolutely any arbitrary rendering resolution available on the platform it is running on.

This whole new focus on "4k support" seems to come from console marketing and is inherently a misfit for PC.

UI scaling is most likely what they're referring to (I hope).

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

It's like when they use 60fps as a selling point. That should be normal on PC, hell same for unlocked.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's actually arbitrary resolution support.
I don't know who's porting this, but the dev who worked on the PS4 version did some work on the PC version of DQ10, which does offer decent settings. Hopefully they at least go that far.

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
The joys of contracted work. The Nier:A contract is most likely finished and S-E is not willing to draft up a new contract with Platinum to produce a small patch for a game which most likely has sold through upwards of 80% of it's lifetime sales on PC and which won't be a very big PR hit either (since it's a smaller niche title)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, Kubota says he knows the Nier: Automata team well. "We're in close contact with one another on a daily basis, and so everything that the Nier experienced has been shared with our team. I've been informed of the struggles that Nier had with deploying some of the updates.

What updates?

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
If they learned from them, what better than actually release a patch? That makes me really wary of the DQXI PC version. Not even a single patch is really shitty.

Square Enix's record with PC gaming is atrocious. World of Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Nier: Automata deserved better than this, I've seen one man dev studios support their games better.

They should be kicked off Steam for a year and told to get their shit together before they come back.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good. It's a UE4 game so it should scsale to mid/low powered PC's just fine as well. Managed to play Gears 4 on my 1060 Max Q laptop at 1440p/60 FPS. If this is decently enough optimized, I'm hoping for similar or higher performance.

Just an FYI for anyone interested: The OG PS4 version runs at 900p and PS4 Pro runs at 1728p using checker board rendering @ 30 FPS each.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I hope it's actually arbitrary resolution support.
It's a UE4 game, they'd have to work to break arbitrary resolution support.
(and arbitrary framerate support, really. But not work as hard for that one)

The joys of contracted work. The Nier:A contract is most likely finished and S-E is not willing to draft up a new contract with Platinum to produce a small patch for a game which most likely has sold through upwards of 80% of it's lifetime sales on PC and which won't be a very big PR hit either (since it's a smaller niche title)
At this point, Nier: Automata most certainly made more money on Steam for Square-Enix than any of their other releases that aren't Western/Eidos games or MMOs.
And I'm not very positive that DQXI will match Nier revenue on PC.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
FFXII and FFXV had really good ports so hopefully this with have some effort put into it.

Stuff like Chrono Trigger you could tell they didn't give a fuck and did it cheap

How was Star Ocean 4 was it a good port?

OP
OP
Dinjoralo

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this got posted on. I was thinking I'd get notified if so.

Anyways, I don't really get why they wanna boast about supporting "Native 4K" on PC. That's not really a feature, that's part of a basic requirement for any computer game. I guess it means the menus won't be tiny like with older PC games that don't scale interface elements, but again, basic stuff.
It also seems like a really bad idea to bring up Nier:A when they clearly don't have any intent to ever fix it. That's called being mean.
Just an FYI for anyone interested: The OG PS4 version runs at 900p and PS4 Pro runs at 1728p using checker board rendering @ 30 FPS each.
It's also in an older version of UE4, which is being updated for the international release. So expect better resolutions on PS4 when it comes out, at least.

It's a UE4 game, they'd have to work to break arbitrary resolution support.
(and arbitrary framerate support, really. But not work as hard for that one)
It is possible that arbitrary framerate support could be borked. I remember Killer is Dead being capped to 30 FPS on PC because of QTE's being tied to framerate, and that was in UE3. Different engines and all, but whether SE is being smart or not with deltaTime seems to change with every other release or so, and we wouldn't be able to tell right now since from what I understand DQXI runs at a perfectly stable 30 FPS on PS4.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's also in an older version of UE4, which is being updated for the international release. So expect better resolutions on PS4 when it comes out, at least.

The game's already out in Japan though. Based on past trends, I am not expecting any engine upgrades for the localized release at all.

Unless the devs have made comments like that.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
My 1080 is ready

Not a big fan of Nier so I can't speak on that one, but I'll definitely be grabbing this at launch

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is perfect and cement my PC purchase, hopefully there will be mods increasing the music quality.

OP
OP
Dinjoralo

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The game's already out in Japan though. Based on past trends, I am not expecting any engine upgrades for the localized release at all.

Unless the devs have made comments like that.
They did. It makes sense to do that, since they've already got people working on localization, updating cutscenes with new VA and facial animations, adding new features, etc. Especially since they have to update the engine to get the game working on Switch, which isn't supported by the version of UE4 the JP version uses.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Thanks for that link.

This bodes really well:

He mentioned that for those who would consider purchasing the English version, the version of the engine used is different, so he considers it "closer to a remaster than to an update."

Guessing native 1080p (instead of 900p) on OG PS4 and possibly 2160p via CB rendering on Pro.

Hopefully a higher performance mode too.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This + the chances of someone modding in Orchestrated OST makes me really tempted to go with Pc...