• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. MH4U was the culmination of something that came before.
I think the issue here isn't one of games like DQVIII and DQIX not driving engagement, both certainly did. They reviewed great, sold well and got lots of attention and positive response from western audiences. The issue is more of what happens in the 6 years between each of these mainline Dragon Quests and how SE completely squanders opportunity and loses any momentum.

DQXI isn't unique or accomplishing something different, if anything it appears to have had an arguably softer start. But even if it turns around and starts gaining some real traction it won't matter if SE gives it the same follow through they did the last two times. That's the real western problem for DQ and how it's totally unlike MH.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bit surprised cause i couldnt find the game for days and i could even sell it for a win

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
So Octopath Traveller outsold DQ XI in the West, even though DQXI was on 2 platforms?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Octopath Traveller outsold DQ XI in the West, even though DQXI was on 2 platforms?

Even XC2 outsold DQ on the west lol.

There are plenty of DQ games coming that are not mainline. Making the IP stronger will benefit all releases, and open doors for the future.

Based on all previous DQ spin off performance, an improvement over flat out bombs will still be bombs.

I think that Nintendo did a solid work with the advertisement of Xc2, they used a lot of Direct time last year to explain the mechanics etc... On the other hand, SE dropped the game and never tried to capture the interest of players. Also, Xc2 looks (and in fact is) a far more modern JRPG, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad, but it can be appealing to players that are not into JRPGs that much.

What's surprising is that DQ XI was localized (and the localization is really good) to many European languages, which is a thing that at least in Spain can help to boost the sales a lot.

Sure. However considering how much backlash we got for XC2 and love that Era or hardcore gamer poured toward DQ, it is hard to see that happen lol.

The ship has sailed. Switch wont save it bruh.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christmas + Switch version.

Also, my idea is that even less than a million is fine for this game, as a stepping stone.
a stepping stone for what? if their highest budget dq game ever couldn't get past 500k in the west on the combined huge install bases of ps4 and pc, i don't really see anything positive for the future of the series in the west. at best, it'll be around the same whenever the next title comes. if anything, this one did worse than the previous two so if we want to see a trend, it's not a positive one.

oh wow, i didn't even realize that.
i don't think the switch version of 11 will do any decent numbers either (outside of japan).

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue here isn't one of games like DQVIII and DQIX not driving engagement, both certainly did. They reviewed great, sold well and got lots of attention and positive response from western audiences. The issue is more of what happens in the 6 years between each of these mainline Dragon Quests and how SE completely squanders opportunity and loses any momentum.

DQXI isn't unique or accomplishing something different, if anything it appears to have had an arguably softer start. But even if it turns around and starts gaining some real traction it won't matter if SE gives it the same follow through they did the last two times. That's the real western problem for DQ and how it's totally unlike MH.
They already did noting. SE already ported DQ1 - 3 onto the PS4 in asia and had localized the games into English on mobile but it seems like there are no plans to release those games on PS4 in the west. I have no idea how SE is going to keep the momentum up for the west, they built a base on 3DS with 7 and 8 but didn't bother to release XI on 3DS in the west too.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of DQ games coming that are not mainline. Making the IP stronger will benefit all releases, and open doors for the future.
well theoretically, you would've wanted Dragon Quest Heroes I and II, DQ7, DQ8, DQ Builders to be the buildup to cultivating an audience for DQ11.

DQ11 was supposed to be that culmination you're speaking of

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
That doesn't sound so good... It's doing worse than DQIX which was on 1 platform only.

Sadly, I think Square is ruining the series. These results are their own faults, bad release timing, late localisations, no momentum (for other entries at least), little to no marketing. With Japan having moved more towards mobile they can't just rely on the sales from there.

Meanwhile they invest in so much money for Final Fantasy games. DQ should get as much attention.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
XI cant really be the culmination of these past titles when they didnt release the title on 3DS/Switch where a big part of their audience is.

Unless you are suggesting that the game would have also only sold 500k if they had manage to deliver XI for PS4/Steam AND Switch in the west.

We already know that plenty of genre fans prefer to play long-ass jrpgs on portables/Switch....they also said that XI S was going to have additional content compared to the OG release - so there is a portion of the market that is just waiting for a Switch release, since there is enough to play right now anyway.

SE misjudged how big of a potential market/sales they would be missing out with the Switch for the initial release

It'll be old as eff (espcially in Japan), and a port.

unless they add some crazy nintendo specific content lol, the game won't sell much.
We already know that it wont just be a port.
They arent releasing the game two years later without adding anything to it.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why ? Why wouldn't the Switch boster sales ? Makes no sense

Late almost never sold well. As

1. Hard to build hype for not a new and fresh product.

2. Company rarely put huge marketing machine for late port.

3. Late port will always be compared with big shiny new things and Switch is going to have lots of those next year with big guns like FE and Animal Crossing which makes late port not wanted at all.

All these factor made me believe DQ11 ship on selling great on the west building as Global IP have past.

Actually another one. Considering till now we had literally zero pics of DQ11 on switch. I dont even believe that DQ11 switch will ship next year lol.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
500k or less is a rather poor performance. Mat Piscatella mentioned once that JRPGs sell about 95% of their lifetime sales in their first month, so 500k after two months doesn't give much confidence in a 1 million performance or anywhere close without the Switch version. Hopefully DQXI sees the dame effect as YS VIII where Switch more than doubles the Western sales numbers.
I believe they were talking about DQXII, not XI.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be old as eff (espcially in Japan), and a port.

unless they add some crazy nintendo specific content lol, the game won't sell much.

DQ re-releases and ports sells very well in JP. DQXI Switch could have the added benefit of orchestral soundtrack and voice acting on top of it. The added marketing from top tier and popular voice actors in Japan would make sure it remains on the radar.

No one cares it's « old », it'll still be one of the most beautiful games on the Switch and a meaty JRPG on the go. It'll sell

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's worse than I expected. I could see DQXII being a Switch game. After the success of OT worldwide, the cheaper development costs and Nintendo's backing, it would seem the logical choice.
no way. the didn't go to all the trouble of putting so many spin offs on ps4 and steam before releasing 11 to have the next game be nintendo-exclusive. if they're smart, they'll have it be switch/ps4 at launch and then add steam for the western release.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
The amount of people I saw saying they are waiting for the switch version makes me not surprised by the numbers. We always knew it would not blow up, but coupled with that... eh. I know people like to and will, stick to their switch guns. Gonna be getting my copy in December for sure, but I guess it depends what Square was expecting it to do since we know their expectations tend to be entirely too high.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sure. However considering how much backlash we got for XC2 and love that Era or hardcore gamer poured toward DQ, it is hard to see that happen lol.
After trying to discuss why I didn't enjoy that much DQ XI in the OT, I reached the conclusion that most of the DQ western fanbase will be happy with the same game for another 30 years. They're a really conservative (and small, considering the sales) fanbase, and if DQ wants to get bigger in the west, it needs to appeal too to the other players. You know a series is not going to evolve when more than half the responses you get from the fanbase when criticizing are like "DQ has been this way since the beginning and maybe it's not for you".

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Despite having a PS4 I didn't buy DQXI at launch because apart from VIII every numbered game released in Australia has been on 3/DS or mobile so it's a handheld series in my mind and I prefer to be able to play them that way to get in a bit of grinding while I'm watching telly or screwing around on my computer or whatever. If they'd had the 3DS version localised I'd have been there, instead I'm left waiting for Switch.

It's a shame to see this attempt at a paradigm shift not really move the needle compared to the numbers they were already hitting. Would be sad to see them stop translating games

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
After trying to discuss why I didn't enjoy that much DQ XI in the OT, I reached the conclusion that most of the DQ western fanbase will be happy with the same game for another 30 years. They're a really conservative (and small, considering the sales) fanbase, and if DQ wants to get bigger in the west, it needs to appeal too to the other players. You know a series is not going to evolve when more than half the responses you get from the fanbase when criticizing are like "DQ has been this way since the beginning and maybe it's not for you".
A new composer would probably help.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DQ re-releases and ports sells very well in JP. DQXI Switch could have the added benefit of orchestral soundtrack and voice acting on top of it. The added marketing from top tier and popular voice actors in Japan would make sure it remains on the radar.

No one cares it's « old », it'll still be one of the most beautiful games on the Switch and a meaty JRPG on the go. It'll sell

We are talking about west market sales though not jp???

Lol. I actually still believe if they improve on DQ9 formula and add multiplayer aspect it will do much better but alas they took DQ8 formula which is my most hated DQ. What can i say?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Late almost never sold well. As

1. Hard to build hype for not a new and fresh product.

2. Company rarely put huge marketing machine for late port.

3. Late port will always be compared with big shiny new things and Switch is going to have lots of those next year with big guns like FE and Animal Crossing which makes late port not wanted at all.

All these factor made me believe DQ11 ship on selling great on the west building as Global IP have past.

Actually another one. Considering till now we had literally zero pics of DQ11 on switch. I dont even believe that DQ11 switch will ship next year lol.
XI S on Switch will sell just fine.
It doesnt have to set the world on fire to big up the overall western sales by quite a bit. Its a great game and will a great addition to the Switch libary. Even more niche titles like Disgaea or YS performed well on Switch ages after their initial releases because they were quality titles.

Your first point doesnt make alot of sense considering that many of the great performing Switch titles are in fact titles that have been released before on other systems - latest example is Diablo 3.

A new composer would probably help.
I doubt the composer had any impact on whatever western sales the series had in the past.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Based on all previous DQ spin off performance, an improvement over flat out bombs will still be bombs.

DQ12, not DQ11. A game for the console could do much better on Japan.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Save this post.

DQXII will still be multiplatform (release WW or not I don't care)
Rehash musics and characters model like hell as XI
More of the same as before include waifus and husbandos element

Still not 10 million seller franchise, but why need to?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't expect XI S to be big but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up the best selling version in the west anyway.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Save this post.

For all we know it might be mobile only....XII is ways off and not even worth talking about right now.
But in general...yeah i doubt they are going back to console exclusives.

I don't expect XI S to be big but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up the best selling version in the west anyway.
It being the best selling version in the west would require it sell at least +500k.
Which would be quite big for a late "port" of a jrpg already available on PS4 and Steam.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DQ12, not DQ11. A game for the console could do much better on Japan.

Umm... are u not confusing urself there? Console DQ would do much better on jp???

XI S on Switch will sell just fine.
It doesnt have to set the world on fire to big up the overall western sales by quite a bit. Its a great game and will a great addition to the Switch libary. Even more niche titles like Disgaea or YS performed well on Switch ages after their initial releases because they were quality titles.

Your first point doesnt make alot of sense considering that many of the great performing Switch titles are in fact titles that have been released before on other systems - latest example is Diablo 3.

I doubt the composer had any impact on whatever western sales the series had in the past.

For the first factor i had some question too but i feel DQ11S position is different vs other late port there. The timing is seems to not be helpful at at all. But lets see there.

On not being a big hit. I am just following SE goals on growing DQ into global IP. If the switch port last punch failed it means they failed their objectives.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Save this post.

DQ5 and 8 remakes didn't do that great even with those elements.

Unless you mean more creepy fan services?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already know that it wont just be a port.
They arent releasing the game two years later without adding anything to it.
it won't be just a port, sure, but it's still dragon quest 11. it's not a brand new title.

DQ re-releases and ports sells very well in JP.
sure, when they're titles like 4, 5, 6 or 7 and they're releasing YEARS after the original release, being practically new games to the younger generations or being titles of high nostalgic value for the older audience. 11 on switch will be two year old port of a game that most of the DQ fans in japan have played. very few people would want to replay a lengthy jrpg after such a short time.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQ5 and 8 remakes didn't do that great even with those elements.

Unless you mean more creepy fan services?

Look at all Doujins both vanilla and yaoi DQXI produces. I count and it's already surpass hundred books.

V was just Bianca and that horse monster, VIII was all pure Jescica plus Yangus (yaoi market).

XII will double down it. And every horny DQ fans will be the most happiness group of people on earth.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
it won't be just a port, sure, but it's still dragon quest 11. it's not a brand new title.
Sure - but so are many indie titles where people choose to wait for the Switch release because this actually allows them to put mayor hours into it.

My argument is that with that kind of information they made it easier for people who already where more interested in a Switch release..to just wait for the version with the additional content. If we had known before that it would just be a straight port with worse graphics, that audience would just bought it on PS/Steam or on sale later on....but waiting for the Switch release seems more justified with that info.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look at all Doujins both vanilla and yaoi DQXI produces. I count and it's already surpass hundred books.

V was just Bianca and that horse monster, VIII was all pure Jescica plus Yangus (yaoi market).

XII will double down it. And every horny DQ fans will be the most happiness group of people on earth.

Maybe those people should buy the game more rather than wasting moneys on jerking books.^_^

Hell XC2 hit maximum doujin and the fans still buy lots of the game.^_^

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure - but so are many indie titles where people choose to wait for the Switch release because this actually allows them to put mayor hours into it.

My argument is that with that kind of information they made it easier for people who already where more interested in a Switch release..to just wait for the version with the additional content. If we had known before that it would just be a straight port with worse graphics, that audience would just bought it on PS/Steam or on sale later on....but waiting for the Switch release seems more justified with that info.
with the japanese fans already having a handheld version of the game from day 1 (i know it's a different version, but it has the same story), i don't see them being as excited for the switch version as the western fans
i agree, outside of japan, there are a lot of people that may want to play such a lengthy jrpg on a handheld system and they're waiting for the switch version, but i don't think those people are enough to turn the game's western performance around. how much do you expect the switch version of 11 to sell outside of japan?

doragon

Oct 27, 2017
well theoretically, you would've wanted Dragon Quest Heroes I and II, DQ7, DQ8, DQ Builders to be the buildup to cultivating an audience for DQ11.

DQ11 was supposed to be that culmination you're speaking of
Spinoffs and old remakes can't do that. Or it's pretty unlikely.

a stepping stone for what? if their highest budget dq game ever couldn't get past 500k in the west on the combined huge install bases of ps4 and pc, i don't really see anything positive for the future of the series in the west. at best, it'll be around the same whenever the next title comes. if anything, this one did worse than the previous two so if we want to see a trend, it's not a positive one.
Let's see how they do a year from now before affirming they are going to sell 0 copies, shall we?

If I remember correctly, DQ Builders and DQ Monsters haven't been bombs at all in the west. DQ Warriors did ok for what it was.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's see how they do a year from now before affirming they are going to sell 0 copies, shall we?
i didn't say 0 copies. but almost anyone familiar with game sales will tell you that 500k, for the kind of game that dq is, is 80 or 90% of all it's ever going to sell (on the two already released platforms). unless the switch version is a surprise hit which i don't think it'll be, there's no reason to believe this result is anything positive for the series.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
with the japanese fans already having a handheld version of the game from day 1 (i know it's a different version, but it has the same story), i don't see them being as excited for the switch version as the western fans
i agree, outside of japan, there are a lot of people that may want to play such a lengthy jrpg on a handheld system and they're waiting for the switch version, but i don't think those people are enough to turn the game's western performance around. how much do you expect the switch version of 11 to sell outside of japan?

The game will to 90% be published by Nintendo in the west and they likely are gonna push it if its a quality port and has additional content - see what they did for Skyrim or Diablo 3 now. So it could get close to the PS4 numbers, which would be a big portion of the western sales.

Only talking about western sales. Japan is something different, but even there it will sell well enough.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Shame. It is a great game but no marketing support is largely to blame for it. And it is a turn based JRPG which don't really sell that well with the exception of Pokemon or Final Fantasy.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The future of the franchise is not in jeopardy, but I'm not sure if they'll continue to take western preferences into account for the next one. I don't think it's a stretch to assume the western market played a big part in DQXI being on PS4 and especially on Steam. I doubt Square Enix was planning on seeing a downward trend in its western sales after the investments it made in the localisation.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game will to 90% be published by Nintendo in the west and they likely are gonna push it if its a quality port and has additional content - see what they did for Skyrim or Diablo 3 now. So it could get close to the PS4 numbers, which would be a big portion of the western sales.

Only talking about western sales. Japan is something different, but even there it will sell well enough.
i'm not saying the switch version will sell terribly in the west. the switch version was brought up when it was pointed out that 11 didn't do well outside of japan, as if that will save the performance of 11 in the west. it may sell 200 or 300k, but that would still be a bad result for the combined sales of the three versions since it would be a downgrade from the previous titles, for a game with a bigger budget and a game they explicitly wanted to grow the fanbase outside of japan.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure DQ is too big a franchise to not bring west but I worry this will mean less effort will be given to the localisation such as no voice acting and without the minor improvements they gave XI. Also may impact future platforms again and I know I don't want to wait over a decade again for a console Dragon Quest experience.