• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not guaranteed, I agree. But I can see this selling good and maybe better than PS4. Anyway, it's baseless conjecture for now, since we haven't seen anything.

I can see it sell at most the same as ps4 but that is probably only me on more pessimistic view. If DQ11S hit 500k on the west, i would be absolutely surprised.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not saying the switch version will sell terribly in the west. the switch version was brought up when it was pointed out that 11 didn't do well outside of japan, as if that will save the performance of 11 in the west. it may sell 200 or 300k, but that would still be a bad result for the combined sales of the three versions since it would be a downgrade from the previous titles, for a game with a bigger budget and a game they explicitly wanted to grow the fanbase outside of japan.
I dont know about "saving" - but if the current sales are at sub 500k....selling additional 300-500k would be indeed quite the addition.

Cant see a Nintendo published XI S sell much worse considering how the Switch market will likely evolve next year.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all dreaming if you think the Switch version is going to make much of a difference. Nintendo published DQ Builders and it doesn't appear to have sold anything significant.

DQXI was a strategic failure, it will end up as a pyrrhic victory at best. Even worse it's now set the expectation that they will develop games for two very different power profiles. I can't see them wanting to make separate versions of XII for Switch and PS5, and considering how much they have struggled to port a PS4 game to Switch a straight multiplatform is out of the question.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know about "saving" - but if the current sales are at sub 500k....selling additional 300-500k would be indeed quite the addition.
i don't think 500k is even a small possibility. even if the switch version is published by nintendo. octopath was a exclusive, had two well-recieved demos, was in every single nintendo direct, and nintendo did a lot to advertise it. i don't see them doing a lot for a title that's also available on other platforms.

I would expect it to hit 1 mil in the next six months once it hits sale price on Steam and PSN.
i think you're overestimating the power of sales for a jrpg.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly it probably would have been cheaper and sold more if they developed this purely for the 3DS and it out during the peak of the 3DS software selling potential

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Y'all dreaming if you think the Switch version is going to make much of a difference. Nintendo published DQ Builders and it doesn't appear to have sold anything significant.

DQXI was a strategic failure, it will end up as a pyrrhic victory at best. Even worse it's now set the expectation that they will develop games for two very different power profiles. I can't see them wanting to make separate versions of XII for Switch and PS5, and considering how much they have struggled to port a PS4 game to Switch a straight multiplatform is out of the question.

All depends on how Nintendo pushes it, they did not push DQB at all, it was also a pretty old port. I dont think anyon is expecting the Switch version to be a huge seller by any means, but if handled correctly - as in promoted in directs, on social media and released in a good spot it can certainly make it a worthwile release.

Oct 29, 2017
That's not a great result. Even with two seperate games and a multiplatform release of the UE4 version in the west, it still can't match the sales of DQ9 in Japan only? They massively overspent on this game and still can't match the series' standard sales in Japan only.

I'll be surprised if it ends up hitting 1 million in the west without heavy price drops as well...

Waiting so long to just start working on a 3DS DQ11 game was a huge mistake. Their indecisiveness and decision to waste years of time with mobile ports and trying to push the series towards mobile, instead of just starting making DQ11 for 3DS right away and aiming for a 2014 release, was S-E's biggest mistake of the last gen (outside of the initial failure of FF14).

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Nah, Dragon Quest 12 will either have Switch-level power as the main platform (and just have a straight port to PS4/5 with better framerate/resolution) or will go full-on mobile. I think the sales of DQ11 have pretty much guaranteed that DQ12 isn't going to be focused on pushing the technological envelope.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All depends on how Nintendo pushes it, they did not push DQB at all, it was also a pretty old port. I dont think anyon is expecting the Switch version to be a huge seller by any means, but if handled correctly - as in promoted in directs, on social media and released in a good spot it can certainly make it a worthwile release.

Unless they surprise with a worldwide release DQXIS might be two years late in the west as well. In which case I don't expect any kind of significant push. At that point there might even be a new BD11 game and I'm sure Nintendo would rather spend money there.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think the sales of DQ11 have pretty much guaranteed that DQ12 isn't going to be focused on pushing the technological envelope.
Did the 3DS version obtain better results than the Ps4 one in Japan? If so, I can see them going full Switch for the next game (the Switch sales of XI will be a factor too).

Even so, considering how well the games sell in Japan, the franchise is safe, what's not safe at all is the release of the new games in the west.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think 500k is even a small possibility. even if the switch version is published by nintendo. octopath was a exclusive, had two well-recieved demos, was in every single nintendo direct, and nintendo did a lot to advertise it. i don't see them doing a lot for a title that's also available on other platforms.

XI S is Switch exclusive though - they arent going to push a system that was already on other systems ? They did for Diablo 3 which just came out. Hell they were fine bringing those late 3DS remakes to the system knowing that XI might not even come to the 3DS.

XI is a better game than Octopath and Nintendo is gonna push it if SE delivers with a quality adaptation.
Switch will also have a much larger install base by the time XI S releases + had its first price drop and multiple JRPG releases building up that audience.

Saying 200k-300k is possible...but 300-500k is "crazy" seems rather naive without knowing alot about what we are getting when.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did the 3DS version obtain better results than the Ps4 one in Japan? If so, I can see them going full Switch for the next game (the Switch sales of XI will be a factor too).

Even so, considering how well the games sell in Japan, the franchise is safe, what's not safe at all is the release of the new games in the west.

3DS version outsold PS4 version in Japan. If DQ11 has sold 400k-500k in 2 months in the West, I think the fate of MAIN Dragon Quest games is safe since that's more than enough money to justify the localization costs & PC port. I'd still be worried about the fate of spin-off stuff like the new Dragon Quest Monsters game that they just announced.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So around 600-700k outside of Japan. Expected numbers, could have done better with the 3DS version and a better release date.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If DQ11 has sold 400k-500k in 2 months in the West, I think the fate of MAIN Dragon Quest games is safe since that's more than enough money to justify the localization costs & PC port.
For most companies, this will be the most logical conclusion, but SE does lots of stupid decisions all the time. I'll never forget that SE decided not to localize KH 3DS to some European languages (Spanish, for example) because of some obscure reason, being both KH and the 3DS really popular in Spain (or at least far more popular than DQ). Nintendo decided not to distribute the game in the country because of that... it was an embarrassing situation for SE IMO. And now, they do a good localization for DQ XI, but without any kind of real marketing and releasing the game during a busy period.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So around 600-700k outside of Japan. Expected numbers, could have done better with the 3DS version and a better release date.
I would have loved to see the 3DS version but i think it would have needed a mayor push by Nintendo to get anykind of satisfactory numbers....and thats just unlikely for a game that releases at the same time on other systems and might get a improved Switch release down the line. Well...and also the 7 and 8 Remakes on 3DS didnt sell too well.

Doubt 3DS was ever really considered from SE.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be more like less than 500k. I don't think the 3DS version would've done much. SE probably needed to get the Switch version out this year.

Unless they surprise with a worldwide release DQXIS might be two years late in the west as well. In which case I don't expect any kind of significant push. At that point there might even be a new BD11 game and I'm sure Nintendo would rather spend money there.
The game is already translated so that could happen.

DQ Monsters games terribly bombed on DS though.
Yeah, there's a reason why we haven't gotten a Monsters title in the west since Joker 2 in 2011.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3DS version would have megabombed in the west.

Yup. Does people forget how dead new 3ds release number?

Also, monster is not coming guys. Dont bet on it. Even during 3ds golden age, SE dont try to bring a single monster title. It wont come here especially after all spin off number and the current dq11 number.

Nov 3, 2017
Nah, Dragon Quest 12 will either have Switch-level power as the main platform (and just have a straight port to PS4/5 with better framerate/resolution) or will go full-on mobile. I think the sales of DQ11 have pretty much guaranteed that DQ12 isn't going to be focused on pushing the technological envelope.

Unlike basically everyone else in this thread, you've got actual experience selling JRPGs to people. Do you think there is any potential for a blowback in Japan if DQ12 is a graphical step down from DQ11?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Mediocre result for the series, even worse considering they basically developed two games this time, namely DQ11 PS4/PC and DQ11 3DS. So far, DQ9 sold more in Japan than DQ11 sold worldwide.

Mar 17, 2018
Given that Tomb Raider was critically acclaimed and was the best(and fastest) selling game in the series, that was SE being nonsensical.

JRPGs tend to have no legs after the first month or so, so we'll see how it does going forward.
Marketing was basically not available for this game lol. Having no legs is much different these days. DQ11 is a highly rated game that actually looks good in videos and such too. People like the game. But a lot of people are going to wait until 20-40. No doubt about it here. Of course it won't be 5m people rushing out to get the game, but it will definitely have legs over a longer period of time. I don't see how this game doesn't sell for 20-40 bucks to quite a few people. 60 bucks for a JRPG is asking a lot from a modern audience.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting so long to just start working on a 3DS DQ11 game was a huge mistake. Their indecisiveness and decision to waste years of time with mobile ports and trying to push the series towards mobile, instead of just starting making DQ11 for 3DS right away and aiming for a 2014 release, was S-E's biggest mistake of the last gen (outside of the initial failure of FF14).
i agree. 11 should have been just a 3ds game then they could have started working on 12 for switch/ps4/pc

Nintendo fans with a the downplaying...
really? what's more weird is the "omg so happy such great result" posts ignoring all context and facts.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unlike basically everyone else in this thread, you've got actual experience selling JRPGs to people. Do you think there is any potential for a blowback in Japan if DQ12 is a graphical step down from DQ11?

Nah, DQ9 was a HUGE graphical step down from DQ8 and DQ9 was one of the best selling games in the series. Dragon Quest isn't really a series known for its graphical prowess (6, 8, and 11 are the only entries I'd say that really pushed the graphics aspect). Plus, since most Japanese gamers played DQ11 through the 3DS version, a DQ12 that was made from the ground-up for the Switch would be a huge improvement in visuals for them even if it only looked about as good as DQ11 on the PS4.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

3DS outsold PS4 in Japan. tho 3DS userbase was much much bigger than the PS4 one and I think it kinda underperformed to expectations. They really lost the chance to release a Dragon Quest game for peak 3DS and sell at least close to IX. Instead they made two different games and together won't sell nearly as much as the single version of IX did.

But the next game will 100% be on Switch and Playstation. I also doubt they will just give up on localizations, but maybe it will be even cheaper than it was this time.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[womp womps in midi]

They botched this release, as expected. Releasing it late during the worst time with that nails-on-a-chalkboard score... Maybe if they heavily discount it in the coming years.

Also, fuck Sugiyama.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah granted it's a 2018 western release ofc. I have to believe the switch version will be a worldwide release, it's already localized after all.

But yeah, if it somehow turns out to come to the western countries in 2019... yep then it's a whole other scenario sadly.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
it won't be just a port, sure, but it's still dragon quest 11. it's not a brand new title.

sure, when they're titles like 4, 5, 6 or 7 and they're releasing YEARS after the original release, being practically new games to the younger generations or being titles of high nostalgic value for the older audience. 11 on switch will be two year old port of a game that most of the DQ fans in japan have played. very few people would want to replay a lengthy jrpg after such a short time.

That's saying the two audience are deeply overlapping, which isn't confirmed. A western release would have Nintendo publishing it, with the added benefit of being a high-end AAA experience on the go, with whatever frills SQEX adds, and most likely at a better time of the year than DQXI.

That's without saying it's a much more recent game in the series rather than remakes, which is a much better proposition for value.

The Switch isn't at a period where it is hurting in software and hardware sales, and it isn't so deeply swarmed with JRPGs that it can easily avoid such a high profile game just because other platforms got it months before.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It did pretty well
The magic number for that is 90+ , that really tends to improve WOM.imo

Its not a GOTY contender

Umm not all game that did really well must hit that 90+ number lol. Octo and XC2 dont and they sold more than what DQ11 did atm.

Not really. Switches can't communicate with other Switches like 3DS does with other 3DS'. So all the multiplayer features that IX had wouldn't work on Switch.

They would need to find way then. If not, say goodbye to Dq9 number. The multiplayer and social aspect sold DQ9 a lot.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
i don't get why persona 5 sold so well and this not

Worldwide, DQ11 sold WAY more than Persona 5 did (4 million vs just over 2 million), it's just that Persona 5 looks like it's selling better outside Japan. And it makes plenty of sense to me - Persona has been positioned as a "cool" modern series whereas Dragon Quest's big selling point has long been high quality nostalgia. The problem is that DQ never reached the kind of popularity that FF did outside Japan (the SNES releases were completely skipped and the series never had a mega-hit in the West like FF7) so most people in the West don't have a lot of nostalgia for the series.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It did pretty well
The magic number for that is 90+ , that really tends to improve WOM.imo

Its not a GOTY contender
You wrote it didnt resonate well with reviewer...which couldnt be further from the truth.
Now you are bringing up GotY talk lol...you can appreciate a game even without it being GotY by your outlet.

Reviews or the critical response arent the issue with XI....its the opposite - thats why it did still okay even though it launched during a busy period with lackluster marketing efforts.