• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The animation is stunning. Know nothing about the game other than good reviews, but hopefully the movie does it justice.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about a new one in the style of DQ XI.

HRZrgG1.jpg

The PS2 remake is pretty much a 2D game with 3D models.
Yeah, I gotcha. That'd be great, I also would love to see VIII remade. I know many will find remaking VIII redundant, but it's my favorite entry and seeing that Smash Bros. render really got me.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, was there a reason this doesn't use Toriyama's art style? I mean, that sort of thing is pretty much synonymous now with DQ alongside Sugiyama's music no?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ayyyy that slime must be the founder of #slimesstackup
He has had it with the constant splatting of slimes throughout the dq series and beyond.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I just started exposing my 5 year old daughter to Dragon Quest; she's been watching me play through XI. This movie will blow her mind!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks good, but I find it extremely odd they decided to not go with Toriyama's style considering how long it's been synonymous with the franchise. Or that Square Enix would ok that. Feel like there's more to that story than just deciding to go in in another direction.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Stunning looks just as good if not better than Pixar movies.

Which DQ set of characters is this from?

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Looks fantastic. I do wonder if they'll dance around the marriage element, since no matter which option they go for, some folks will be cross. The draw-back of adapting an interactive story to a non-interactive medium, I guess.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's so beautiful!!!

I'm happy they moved away from Toriyama's style to be honest. I've yet to see "good" interpretations of it in 3D and the expressiveness here lets it still be anime while allowing for broader emoting and subtle animations.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I really want to like the way this looks, but something just feels off to me.

I think it's the animation and general detail. It feels like it's an opening cutscene and not something that should be a 2 hour movie. It just strikes me as weird looking.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
First time ive seen this and it just happened I beat DQ V for the first time last year.
Awesome!

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
It looks amazing. 5 was such a good choice. Also I'm glad to see Sancho, he's low key one of the best DQ characters.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Very much looking forward to it. Hopefully an international release won't take too much time.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I was not expecting a more western character design, but it looks like a really happy medium between Toriyama and a team who knew how this could translate to 3D or a more international audience.

It's a property that a vast number of people are only familiar with by name in the US but if done well, may be more engaging.
In my case I know Dragon Quest is stupid popular in Japan, is an rpg, and has slimes. That's all I need to know to try it out if I saw it on Netflix.

Heck, it may even really exceed over here without as many fans knowing the stories every beat.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I love Toriyama's art as much as the next guy, but, while it's a bit weird that this doesn't have it, I love how this looks. And the animation and asset quality is insane, what the hell.

DQV is my favourite DQ after VIII, so I'm very excited about this.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I really want to like the way this looks, but something just feels off to me.

I think it's the animation and general detail. It feels like it's an opening cutscene and not something that should be a 2 hour movie. It just strikes me as weird looking.

Not going to lie. I feel the same way. The design of Ladja/Gema is especially off-putting to me.

Don't get me wrong I really want to see it though. I figured this movie would probably wrap up Gen 2 with the marriage but then it shows the Hero turning to stone sooo.....

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Best DQ game getting all this love is great. I wonder if they'll show the second time skip in this.
Well, the hero does get turned into stone in the trailer, but not a confirmation yet.
Tangential, but is there a reason why Dragon Quest is called Dragon Quest? Are there even Dragons in this universe?

I've never played a DQ game before. Just curious.
It was heavily inspired in western RPGs that focused on dragons (which is why the dragons in the game are very western). After the first trilogy however, the series stopped focusing mostly on them (I think 8 was the last one with a plot more tied to dragons, although I haven't played 11 yet).

I would say that Breath of Fire has a more dragon-centric motif than DQ.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It was heavily inspired in western RPGs that focused on dragons (which is why the dragons in the game are very western). After the first trilogy however, the series stopped focusing mostly on them (I think 8 was the last one with a plot more tied to dragons, although I haven't played 11 yet).

I would say that Breath of Fire has a more dragon-centric motif than DQ.

Most of them kinda focus on dragons in one way or another. The Zenithian Trilogy has the Zenith Dragon as a central figure.

Off the top of my head I can't think of dragons playing a central role in the plot in 7 and 9 (though I don't remember 9 that well) but that's it. I also haven't played XI (or X).

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Most of them kinda focus on dragons in one way or another. The Zenithian Trilogy has the Zenith Dragon as a central figure.

Off the top of my head I can't think of dragons playing a central role in the plot in 7 and 9 (though I don't remember 9 that well) but that's it. I also haven't played XI (or X).
Wow, I totally forgot about the Zenith Dragon lol. I really need to replay 5.

In 7 there is one part where you revive a Dragon fossil, but that's it IIRC.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018

There are two dragons (one good, one bad) who show up fairly late in Dragon Quest IX. The game doesn't revolve around them, but they get a bigger role than most characters in the game.