• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

It got a bit of a mixed reception in Japan when it came out but I'm excited to finally get to see this, between this and Sonic it seems it's a good day for video game movies.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested. But after that shitty Ni No Kuni movie I just watched on Netflix I'm sort of spent for now. I'm saving my energy for Sonic.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
This movie is weird because it's panned by Hardcore Japanese DQ fans because of spoilers so you can't really talk about why it's not good lol.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Watched it day 1 in a cinema and I really liked it. DQV is my favorite DQ, but since I played it fairly recently I don't have any nostalgia for it and I don't feel like it was a part of my childhood or anything.
I also enjoyed the thing because of which most people hated it, but maybe I'm weird.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Iirc aside from the strange twist, another reason why it's panned it's because it apparently feels rushed.

Going to watch it later today.

Yeah I watched a good ~20ish minutes of it and rushed is a bit of an understatement. I kinda get that it's hard to distill a ~50 hour game into a 1.5 hour movie but it does feel extremely rushed, even for a movie.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at all the dubs it has, I guess Netflix will go all-out with anything

I scrubbed forward on the timeline and it looks like The Thing everyone hates is intact, too, sadly

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Considering it's the only Dragon Quest game I've played to completion, I'm interested in checking this out.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in the middle of playing DQV so I'm unsure if I should watch this now or wait until I beat the game first. I'm aware of the movie's "twist" but I'd still like to see how they handle DQV's story.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Even if this is a little messy, I am excited to check it out anyways. Dragon Quest V is the best.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to watching it later tonight. I mean I love Dragon Quest V and the series in general. I'm also curious about why many of the Japanese fans hated the ending. I think I have an idea what it could be.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I was just wondering when this was hitting Netflix the other day! I've read the spoilers and impressions so my expectations are relatively low, but at the very least the movie looks gorgeous, so I think I'll have a decent time with it this weekend

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Just came out the other side. I'll say it.

Fuck the haters.

The "twist" has got to be the most endearing thing I have seen in a movie, period. As a lifelong Dragon Quest fan, I welled the hell up when it dropped. Legit, can not fathom the hate this garnered back in Japan. Is it a 1:1 retelling of the beloved entry? Nope. Why should that be held against it? It tried it's own thing, and I'll be damned if it didn't stick the landing with me, as I'm sure it will other megafans of series. Shit, video games in general. THIS is why we play, and what a way to sink that in.

The only real criticism I'd level to the film is that is moves along at a breakneck speed and does not let up. The VA? Surprisingly good! Visually, a treat, and the classic Dragon Quest OST never gets old.

What really made this was my partner turning to me at the credits and telling me she understood why I played these kinds of games. So again - screw the haters. If you are any sliver of a Dragon Quest fan - plop it on, relax, and enjoy the biggest love letter you can imagine.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck the haters.

The "twist" has got to be the most endearing thing I have seen in a movie, period. As a lifelong Dragon Quest fan, I welled the hell up when it dropped. Legit, can not fathom the hate this garnered back in Japan. Is it a 1:1 retelling of the beloved entry? Nope. Why should that be held against it? It tried it's own thing, and I'll be damned if it didn't stick the landing with me, as I'm sure it will other megafans of series. Shit, video games in general. THIS is why we play, and what a way to sink that in.

The only real criticism I'd level to the film is that is moves along at a breakneck speed and does not let up. The VA? Surprisingly good! Visually, a treat, and the classic Dragon Quest OST never gets old.

What really made this was my partner turning to me at the credits and telling me she understood why I played these kinds of games. So again - screw the haters. If you are any sliver of a Dragon Quest fan - plop it on, relax, and enjoy the biggest love letter you can imagine.

All right, this post might have bumped this into a viewing when I'm home from work tonight instead of waiting for the weekend

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
All right, this post might have bumped this into a viewing when I'm home from work tonight instead of waiting for the weekend

Dear god please get back in here once you do. I'll level - I can understand the passionate crowd who would think that it defiles the legacy of the series. When it begins to twist, you worry. But maybe it was starring at the protaganist, his "plight", that spoke to me. Boy oh boy did it swing close to home.

I'll forever defend this movie. If it means being the lone voice in a sea of hate - so be it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck the haters.

Holy shit you're not wrong about the twist. Definitely teared up quite a bit at that. I have no idea why people hated it so much, that was so good. I was not ready to feel those emotions today...

And yeah the biggest issue with the whole thing is the pacing, it rushes WAY too quickly through everything but again, in translating a 50+ hour story to 1.5 hours you've gotta be willing to make some concessions like that.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Cross posting myself from the other thread:

So I finished watching Dragon Quest: Your Story...

I actually really liked it.

I'm not sure why they added that part that the Japanese fans hated so much, but it's like a 4 minute scene and it's so inconsequential to the rest of the movie it doesn't really bother me.
Also that part actually made me tear up a little even though it's so cheesy so whatever.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Watched it and really liked it. The twist was a bit WTF but it made sense in a way.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I've not played DQ5 but I am planning to in the relatively near future (once I finish DQ11), should I wait to play it before watching this?

Last edited:

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
If you go in already expecting a divisive ending, it's a pretty wonderful piece of fan service.

Also pretty great english dub! Netflix is putting in the effort.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Need to decide between sub and dub.

I compared the dub's wording to the subtitles, in the first few minutes, and the dub's writing may have been a bit better. Voice acting didn't seem bad either.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is the twist?
the entire movie is actually a VR remake of Dragon Quest V being played by the protagonist, and the final boss is actually a virus who mocks them for still playing games as an adult. the reason the opening part of the plot is rushed through is that it's explaining that the protagonist chose to skip that part.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
the entire movie is actually a VR remake of Dragon Quest V being played by the protagonist, and the final boss is actually a virus who mocks them for still playing games as an adult. the reason the opening part of the plot is rushed through is that it's explaining that the protagonist chose to skip that part.
That sounds fucking stupid.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The twist sounds stupid as hell but I'm still excited to watch. The art and animation look great. Maybe not being blindsided by the twist will make it not too bad, I'm betting.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I went in knowing more or less what the twist was about, and I thought it was extremely good and it made me very emotional. If you go in expecting something odd at the end I think you'll really like the movie. If you're expecting just the same story from DQV and nothing more then you'll probably be disappointed and/or annoyed.

If I've not played DQ5 but I am planning too in the relatively near future (once I finish DQ11), should I wait to play it before watching this?

It's not exactly the same story as 5 beat for beat, but it will spoil most of the major plot points, yeah.

That sounds fucking stupid.

It's not, it's actually done really, really well. Like, tearjerkingly well.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching it and loved it. Add me to the list of people who enjoyed the twist. I thought it was very well done.

The film does go pretty fast at the start and if you haven't played DQV then I imagine you'll be a little lost with some of the events that unfold.

The film had me laughing a fair few times throughout, with the Metal Slime scene making me laugh the most.

Yup, I'd happily watch this again.