• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid 30fps in handheld, runs well.
Was kinda interested, but the poor frame pacing is real turn off.
9458_hyperthonking.png

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I should probably actually play this game for real this time instead of buying it and spending more time researching builds than actually playing.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No idea what they were thinking with that fast travel mechanic.

It's like I've gone back in time 25 years or so.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Builds? The only thing you level up are vocations and the overall character level right? Other than that you can basically pick any weapon/loadout right? Or are we talking about party builds?

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between getting this and FF 12 next week. Neve played either of them. Any guidance?

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Two common questions:

What classes are the most fun?
The stock answer is: "You should experiment with everything to find your preferred playstyle." The real answer is: "Assassin, probably." It's the most versatile vocation in the game, capable of utilizing swords, shields, daggers and bows, and has an extremely fun moveset with a plethora of excellent counterattack and multi-hit skills. It is also the class most tailored for solo play. Runner-up is probably Magick Archer, which is generally considered the strongest class overall and makes mincemeat out of the endgame dungeon.

Which version of the game should I get?
Obviously the Switch version is preferable if you want to play away from home, but the PC version has an obvious advantage over all others: modding. In particular, there is a mod that allows you to override vocation restrictions for weapons and skills, effectively creating custom classes. You can be a Warrior with a longbow, a Sorcerer with a shield, an Assassin that can use skills like Brainsplitter, etc. There are also a few compelling difficulty and enemy remix mods for repeat playthroughs.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Two common questions:

What classes are the most fun?
The stock answer is: "You should experiment with everything to find your preferred playstyle." The real answer is: "Assassin, probably." It's the most versatile vocation in the game, capable of utilizing swords, shields, daggers and bows, and has an extremely fun moveset with a plethora of excellent counterattack and multi-hit skills. It is also the class most tailored for solo play. Runner-up is probably Magick Archer, which is generally considered the strongest class overall and makes mincemeat out of the endgame dungeon.

Which version of the game should I get?
Obviously the Switch version is preferable if you want to play away from home, but the PC version has an obvious advantage over all others: modding. In particular, there is a mod that allows you to override vocation restrictions for weapons and skills, effectively creating custom classes. You can be a Warrior with a longbow, a Sorcerer with a shield, an Assassin that can use skills like Brainsplitter, etc. There are also a few compelling difficulty and enemy remix mods for repeat playthroughs.
Magic Archer is the best. I don't remember what it's called but there's a skill that shoots glowing projectiles that bounce off walls from your bow. When you're in a tight space like a dungeon, you can use that skill and then watch enemies get massacred by the projectiles flying back and forth.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I'm playing Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ right now on PS4. I was thinking of picking up Ys: VIII afterwards, but I might buy this for the fourth time and give it a go.

I imagine Ys is a lot simpler than Dragon's Dogma, I personally thought it was really good. Looks awful on Switch, but if you have a PS4, that shouldn't be a problem anyway.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Preloaded and I know next to nothing about the game. I've seen so much praise I figured what the hell.

Is it obtuse and difficult like a souls game?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Preloaded and I know next to nothing about the game. I've seen so much praise I figured what the hell.

Is it obtuse and difficult like a souls game?
It's obtuse in a very different way compared to Souls games but not too difficult. I very much recommend looking through the first post and just going with the flow. Caring too much about the various systems and quests your first time through will likely frustrate you.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Magic Archer is the best. I don't remember what it's called but there's a skill that shoots glowing projectiles that bounce off walls from your bow. When you're in a tight space like a dungeon, you can use that skill and then watch enemies get massacred by the projectiles flying back and forth.
Ricochet Bolt, I think. It's power increases each time it bounces off of a wall, so you can take down endgame enemies with really weak gear in a reasonable amount of time just by luring them into a tight corridor.

Mystic Knight might also be just as strong with the Great Cannon + Ruinous Sigil combo, but it's really boring to play that way. That's why I think Assassin is the most fun: You can be really powerful, but it still forces you to engage with the game more than MA and MK.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's obtuse in a very different way compared to Souls games but not too difficult. I very much recommend looking through the first post and just going with the flow. Caring too much about the various systems and quests your first time through will likely frustrate you.
Good call. Glad to hear its not ball smashing difficult. Will check those posts when I'm about to start up!

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Good call. Glad to hear its not ball smashing difficult. Will check those posts when I'm about to start up!
Yeah man, this is legit one of my favorite games of all time. A lot of people ruin it for themselves by trying to look up builds, where items drop and how to complete quests (and when, because some are missable). Just playing freely without caring about any of those things makes the game an infinitely better experience. It's a game that feels like it was very much designed with pre-wiki sensibilities in mind.

Lugnutal

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I am planning on picking this up (for the 3rd time lol) and was going to go the physical route through Amazon and when i checked my order status, it said that it wouldn't arrive till the 29th. Is the physical edition released later than digital?

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Debating between this and FFXII. I think I might just pick up both and swap between the two. Over the summer I won't have my PS4 so I'll be limited to switch games.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Oh boy, that's not a rabbit hole you want to go down. What is seen can not be unseen. The PS3 version is absolutely horrendous in comparison to the current gen version. Really blurry (720p* with low precision FXAA and bilinear texture filtering), constantly shimmering low res dynamic shadows and a framerate that regularly drops into the teens. The 360 version is alledgedly a little better (better texture filtering and a slightly better framerate) but it's still pretty bad.

The Switch version is a huge improvement in that regard.

*Technically the resolution was actually sub 720p on last gen systems due to the "cinematic" letterboxing, though that wasn't a direct contributor to the blurriness. Still another way the current gen version improved over the mess that was the original release.
Thx, res is a huge difference i was wondering if they improved the textures and effects too

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the skills are lock-on firing anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

Right, I remember that. Gyro just makes the aiming skills a lot more fun and easy to use more often.

I dunno, I'm sure it won't be a problem. I did mage/sorcerer in my first playthrough basically the whole time and while it was a lot of fun at first it got very old and repetitive. I'm betting anything will be a breath of fresh air after that.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
One question I have, are most or at least some random encounters with the larger beasts we've seen in footage...or they mainly story beats?

Just curious, also are they things in the game we haven't really seen that are surprises? I think I know the answer but confirmation would be nice lol.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
One question I have, are most or at least some random encounters with the larger beasts we've seen in footage...or they mainly story beats?

Just curious, also are they things in the game we haven't really seen that are surprises? I think I know the answer but confirmation would be nice lol.
If you know nothing about the game going in, the trailers haven't shown you everything. There are also random encounters with the larger beasts, yes. Very few of them are story encounters.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Wait there's no gyro? That's dissapointing after Capcom's well integrated use in most of their previous ports (RE Revelations 1-2, Okami HD). Their only other notable port missing gyro (and it felt like a missed opportunity) was MHGU.

I really hope RE4 has it.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Those are random encounters. And if you have only seen trailers so far then yes, the games has more to offer—

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
If you know nothing about the game going in, the trailers haven't shown you everything. There are also random encounters with the larger beasts, yes. Very few of them are story encounters.

Those are random encounters. And if you have only seen trailers so far then yes, the games has more to offer—

Yeah I've intentionally stayed dark on this and that's what I wanted to hear, awesome. Thanks!

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll probably start off as Fighter then and then change to Mage when I get stronger and learn the lay of the land better. I've played this game a few times before but I never was able to get super into it. Hopefully this time is the time.
Is it easy to respec a character in this game or is it going to be hard to switch from fighter to mage mid way through?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is it easy to respec a character in this game or is it going to be hard to switch from fighter to mage mid way through?
from OP#2
  • Feel free to swap the Vocations of yourself and your Main Pawn as you please. Frequent swapping will ensure your stat growths upon level up are somewhat even and can unlock passives that carry over between Vocation swaps. And on the note of Vocations, none are strictly better than the other. They all have uses. I'd recommend that every party has a Mage, if only for their unique healing magic.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I might be picking this up for the first time ever soon and was wondering:

Can you play this well, solo, or is that four people party the default? Do you have to control all of them in some capacity? That huge party kinda stresses me out to look at and is a reason why I've never picked it up to be honest.

Not sure how it works so figured I'd ask.

blackmass

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin - Germany
You don't need to respec your character at all. You can switch their vocations skills like you wish. The moment you learned the skill to carry around more weight with the fighter, you can use the skill with your Mage or Archer as well. But you don't have to.

I might be picking this up for the first time ever soon and was wondering:

Can you play this well, solo, or is that four people party the default? Do you have to control all of them in some capacity? That huge party kinda stresses me out to look at and is a reason why I've never picked it up to be honest.

Not sure how it works so figured I'd ask.
It's you and your main pawn. The other two are optional but still recommended. There is no managment possible for the third and fourth pawn, except for some healing items etc..Don't worry about it.