• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
More power to you! FWIW, if you make your Arisen petite enough, there's a hidden little nook in one of the game's major locations that you'll be able to access. There's nothing terribly important there. Just an alternate way to traverse the area that larger characters won't fit in.

I had no idea! Wow, thanks for tip! I will try to fit my 5'3" 57kg woman through that crevice when I find it.

Kindly accept my gratitude for your help and for acquiescing to my friend's request.

Speaker

One Winged Slayer
May 18, 2019
My Arisen and Pawn are level 107 and almost all I've done is BBI so far (fresh Hard Mode run). I haven't even met the Duke yet, and really only bothered to get to Gran Soren and do the Wyrm Hunt quests for access to the Eternal Ferrystone and three Portable Portcrystals. XD

I've kinda been doing the same thing as you, but I actually met with duke and did all the quest up untill the final fight with Salvation. Now just taking on BBI to get some nice gear.

Thats gutsy...straight up hard mode new game?

I played the vanilla version and dark arisen on ps3. It's just been awhile for me, but I'm getting back into the swing of things. Hard mode does have it's advantages.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea! Wow, thanks for tip! I will try to fit my 5'3" 57kg woman through that crevice when I find it.

Kindly accept my gratitude for your help and for acquiescing to my friend's request.

You're welcome! Enjoy her. I put a lot of work into her. She's a 100% min-maxed Magick build support Mage with all the trimmings. That means I ran her to levels 1-10 as a Mage and then 11-200 as a Sorcerer, before setting her back to Mage. She has absolutely the highest Magickal Attack stat possible, though it does make her a bit of a glass cannon. I'm remaking her on Switch, though I've decided to tone down the min-max'ing a bit in order to buff her durability. A couple of dozen levels pulled from Sorcerer and put into Strider instead, for some extra robustness.

I've kinda been doing the same thing as you, but I actually met with duke and did all the quest up untill the final fight with Salvation. Now just taking on BBI to get some nice gear.

I played the vanilla version and dark arisen on ps3. It's just been awhile for me, but I'm getting back into the swing of things. Hard mode does have it's advantages.

Yup. Same here. Cut my teeth on the PS3 version. Got the plat there. PS4 (another plat) and Switch, it's Hard Mode to start and all the way for the extra XP, DCP, and Gold. Hilarious to cut off a Saurian's tail and see a giant money bag work 10K pop out. And then another when I finish the critter off. XD

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You're welcome! Enjoy her. I put a lot of work into her. She's a 100% min-maxed Magick build support Mage with all the trimmings. That means I ran her to levels 1-10 as a Mage and then 11-200 as a Sorcerer, before setting her back to Mage. She has absolutely the highest Magickal Attack stat possible, though it does make her a bit of a glass cannon. I'm remaking her on Switch, though I've decided to tone down the min-max'ing a bit in order to buff her durability. A couple of dozen levels pulled from Sorcerer and put into Strider instead, for some extra robustness.

I completely forgot that changing/altering vocations for even pawns is a thing that one can do in this game. I have not come across this option yet, presumably because that option becomes available in Gran Soren.

By the way, in regards to offloading items to pawns, do their encumberance values affect their combat and general performance as it would the player character?

Oct 27, 2017
A Cave
Well just had some good luck for once, just started playing again after a small break and after a small bit of dungeon diving in BBI ended up getting the Sapfire Daggers from the 1st cursed Weapon I found, so with that my Strider Pawn is 99% complete just need to Gold Rarefy them and get a Strider Band to free up a ring slot so whoever is using my Pawn, enjoy the new and improved version

Also sent the 2 hired pawns (Both ERA members) home with Cursed BBI Level 3 Armor so keep an eye out for them

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my weekly maintenance of the Google Sheet. Sad to see how many stopped playing. As always, the listed order is set to match my in-game list for quicker updates, so I'd appreciate it if no one would change that order. If you'd like to add a new entry for yourself, just add yourself below my listing (which is the last one).

I noticed! Logged your new level in the spreadsheet and asked myself, "didn't he finish with the game and uninstall it?" Welcome back!

I completely forgot that changing/altering vocations for even pawns is a thing that one can do in this game. I have not come across this option yet, presumably because that option becomes available in Gran Soren.

By the way, in regards to offloading items to pawns, do their encumberance values affect their combat and general performance as it would the player character?

You can change Vocations at the inn in Gran Soren, the capital city. If you haven't gotten that far in the campaign, go to Cassardis' pier at night and speak to Olra to get transported to Bitterblack Isle's hub. It's the end-game expansion zone, but the hub is safe and Olra will also allow you to change your Vocations. When done, you may speak to her to return to Cassardis. And if you don't have the fast travel system opened up yet (which you won't if you haven't gotten to Gran Soren yet), you can always return to BBI by visiting Cassardis' pier at night and interacting with Olra again.

Pawns only have access to the three Basic Vocations and three Advanced Vocations. The three Hybrid Vocations are exclusive to Arisens.

I imagine the encumbrance and stamina rules are the same for Pawns as they are for Arisens. I think the only adjustments to the rules that may not apply to Pawns are Hard Mode's increased stamina usage and slower recharge rate.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Been on vacation, but about to jump back in. Finished what seemed to be the main campaign and jumped into t
he big hole in gran soren
, not reeeeally sure how things work there or what I'm supposed to be doing, so any tips are appreciated

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Been on vacation, but about to jump back in. Finished what seemed to be the main campaign and jumped into t
he big hole in gran soren
, not reeeeally sure how things work there or what I'm supposed to be doing, so any tips are appreciated

That's the Everfall. It was the vanilla game's main end-game content. It's honestly not that great. You basically fall endlessly until you decide to grapple ledges scattered across the looping drop. Each ledge will take you to a different floor of the Everfall, each with it's own set of encounters and possible loot. Use the map to figure out which floors you've cleared and which you haven't, and aim for the corresponding ledges as you fall.

With Dark Arisen, they added a new end-game, Bitterblack Isle. Which is infinitely better. Still, the Everfall is probably worth doing once just for the loot and XP, if nothing else. If you do plan on fighting its super boss, the Ur-Dragon, do it offline. It's way easier to kill there. The loot isn't quite as good, but BBI gear eventually eclipses everything the offline and online Ur-Dragon has, so I wouldn't waste my time grinding out an online Ur-Dragon kill. Do note that one of the Everfall quests will, if completed, transition you into NG+. If you'd rather stick to your current run (say, to play through BBI), then avoid turning in that quest. I think it's the one where you have to gather and deliver X number of completed Wakestones. I forget because I haven't done a NG+ transition since the PS3 version.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's the Everfall. It was the vanilla game's main end-game content. It's honestly not that great. You basically fall endlessly until you decide to grapple ledges scattered across the looping drop. Each ledge will take you to a different floor of the Everfall, each with it's own set of encounters and possible loot. Use the map to figure out which floors you've cleared and which you haven't, and aim for the corresponding ledges as you fall.

With Dark Arisen, they added a new end-game, Bitterblack Isle. Which is infinitely better. Still, the Everfall is probably worth doing once just for the loot and XP, if nothing else. If you do plan on fighting its super boss, the Ur-Dragon, do it offline. It's way easier to kill there. The loot isn't quite as good, but BBI gear eventually eclipses everything the offline and online Ur-Dragon has, so I wouldn't waste my time grinding out an online Ur-Dragon kill. Do note that one of the Everfall quests will, if completed, transition you into NG+. If you'd rather stick to your current run (say, to play through BBI), then avoid turning in that quest. I think it's the one where you have to gather and deliver X number of completed Wakestones. I forget because I haven't done a NG+ transition since the PS3 version.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to contribute. The user who created it doesn't own the Switch version yet! :D
And the OP seems to have abandoned the game and thread. :(

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You can change Vocations at the inn in Gran Soren, the capital city. If you haven't gotten that far in the campaign, go to Cassardis' pier at night and speak to Olra to get transported to Bitterblack Isle's hub. It's the end-game expansion zone, but the hub is safe and Olra will also allow you to change your Vocations. When done, you may speak to her to return to Cassardis. And if you don't have the fast travel system opened up yet (which you won't if you haven't gotten to Gran Soren yet), you can always return to BBI by visiting Cassardis' pier at night and interacting with Olra again.

Pawns only have access to the three Basic Vocations and three Advanced Vocations. The three Hybrid Vocations are exclusive to Arisens.

I imagine the encumbrance and stamina rules are the same for Pawns as they are for Arisens. I think the only adjustments to the rules that may not apply to Pawns are Hard Mode's increased stamina usage and slower recharge rate.

You.Are.Awesome.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to type all that detailed info.

Cheers.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
You.Are.Awesome.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to type all that detailed info.

Cheers.

Hope you're enjoying the game! :D

Yesterday I did a quest in the well in Kassardis and I saw
sun light from inside. I couldn't get there though. And I forgot the name that showed up
What is this? can't remember if I were there in the ps4 version :D

There are two quests that take place in the well under Cassardis. I think they're called Deep Trouble and Deeper Trouble. For that second quest, you'll probably notice that one or two previously blocked off caverns open up. One of them is some kind of cove. Dripstone Cove or something like that? There are a number of locations in Gransys that peel back and open up like a two- or three-layered onion. Usually via a side quest or two or by reaching certain main quest milestones.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I noticed! Logged your new level in the spreadsheet and asked myself, "didn't he finish with the game and uninstall it?" Welcome back!
Had a ton of fetch quests unfinished, and my OCD won't allow that.

I also wanted to fight a bit more in BBI. As much as I loathe some of the game design issues (no, for the umpteenth time, having pawns vanishing out of thin air is not fun, also those "waterfalls" insta-consuming all Panaceas is only fun the first time for the sound glitch), I just can't resist a challenge.

I'm now farming a bit in the later stages of BBI. Still kinda fun due to the amazing combat, but some of the weird balancing is becoming super annoying, like how many bosses have infinite range insta-cancel AoEs, among other cheapnesses. I mean I get that they need to pull out that difficulty from somewhere, but still, towards the end of BBI 2.0, it often feels cheap.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the challenge. Then again, I skipped BBI on PS3 (was done with the game and the plat long before it hit). So my only experience with BBI was on PS4 and Switch, and both are fresh, Hard Mode runs. So it's extra challenging. But I love this game so much. Yeah, they find ways to very cheaply dispose of your Pawns, but learning how to survive without is part of the fun. Well, at least, growing strong enough to do so. At some point, you NEED the levels and gear. Skill will only take you so far. Still, I love it.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
I think they're called Deep Trouble and Deeper Trouble. For that second quest, you'll probably notice that one or two previously blocked off caverns open up. One of them is some kind of cove. Dripstone Cove or something like that?
hm, then there is a third quest down there. I did two already. One of the guy above. One for the guy standing inside the well.

ah, found it, this is what I saw: https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Brightwater_Cove
But I found no way to get there.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
hm, then there is a third quest down there. I did two already. One of the guy above. One for the guy standing inside the well.

ah, found it, this is what I saw: https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Brightwater_Cove
But I found no way to get there.

Could be. I don't remember a third quest offhand, and I'm too busy in BBI to progress the main quest. I haven't even met the Duke yet!
Brightwater Cove is really just there to look pretty. IIRC, there's some loot. But there's no way to exit the well from there. IIRC, the well has two exits. One is up to Cassardis proper. The other leads to Manamia Trail just beyond the Pawn Encampment.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
You totally don't need 999 periapts. ;p
I did some HARDCORE Awakened Daimon farming fairly early in my PS4 run for the stupendous amounts of XP and the level 3 gear.
This is when I was still fairly early on in the process of min-maxing my Assassin.
Without Blast Arrows, it would have been impossible to tackle him so early with such low levels and shit gear. Hard Mode, too!

saboar

Oct 25, 2017
I think I farmed Cursed Dragons for levels when I did a Hard Mode Warrior BBI playthrough. Farming Daimon/Death was not worth it.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted some very specific armors for my Arisen and Pawn, though.
It eventually came to a point where I didn't need Blast Arrows anymore.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hope you're enjoying the game! :D

Finally got to Gran Soren today when I quite the session.

Prior to that I went to Bitter Black Isle (BBI) only to discover that my pawn did not have enough disciple points (1000 req.) for vocation change. I am curious as to what happens to all his previously acquired skills and bespoke mage attire he dons at this time.

The path to Gran Soren was a bit of pain in the ass because I am rocking only a melee fighter and 3 magic users.

Funnily enough, here's the other maxed out pawn I was using (turns out that it indeed belonged to another user in my friend's list):

2ae4ed1228606614.png

And here's your Ahamet:

93f6de1228606654.png

Yea... and:

6c4db31228606684.png

1d09b41228606724.png

They even have the same height meaning that OG body type was the same for creations.

Talk about coincidence!

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about coincidence!

That IS a coincidence! My Arisen and Pawn (twins) are so heavily customized, that I have all of the Character Creation choices and options numbered and mapped out in a Google Keep note! No way I could recreate her from memory. Not with all the insane options available! That said, most level 200 Pawns (of the same Vocation) are going to look more or less the same, assuming they're decked out in optimal BBI end-game gear. (Some create Pawns with role play and fashion in mind. I go for raw stats)!

The price to unlock a Vocation is a one-time thing. Once that Vocation is unlocked for your Arisen or Pawn, they stay unlocked. Do note that you have to unlock them separately. Unlocking Sorcerer on your Arisen won't unlock it on your Pawn. Once you have Vocations unlocked, you can change them up (at no additional cost) at any inn or establishment that offers inn-like services.

You've probably realized that the skills you purchase roughly break down into four categories. Primary active skills, secondary active skills, core skills, and augments. Primary, secondary, and core skills are all typed to specific weapon types. Let's take the Strider's double jump core skill as an example. It's a dagger skill that obviously lets you double jump any time you have a dagger equipped. Rangers use daggers, as do Assassins and Magickal Archers. So once you've unlocked the double jump for the Strider, if you switch to Ranger or Assassin (and are using daggers and short bows instead of sword and shield) or Magick Archer (and are using daggers instead of staves), you'll still be able to double jump with the other three non-Strider dagger-wielding Vocations. Likewise, Mages and Sorcerers have can add a levitate core skill to their jump that works both with the Mage's staves and the Sorcerer's archistaves. Once you unlock the levitate core skill with your Mage, both the Sorcerer and the Magick Archer (if using staves instead of daggers) will be able to levitate.

This isn't to say that ALL weapon skills overlap. A Magick Archer has both physical and magickal primary dagger skills at his/her disposal. Striders, Rangers, and Assassins only have access to (mostly) physical dagger primary skills. Likewise, there's pretty much NO overlap between a Fighter's sword and board active/secondary skills and a Warrior's two-hander primary skills. Similarly, short bow secondary skills (Strider, Assassin), long bow secondary skills (Ranger) and magickal bow secondary skills (Magickal Archer) also have little to no overlap. Mages and Sorcerers have a pool of spells that are shared across staves and archistaves. But Mages have a subset of spells that only work with their staves (healing and certain support spells). Sorcerers have a greater repertoire of attack and debilitating spells unique to their archistaves.

But my point is that if there is an overlap in skills across Vocations, purchasing that skill with one Vocation unlocks it for all compatible Vocations. Skills overlap? You only buy it once per character. Unlocking a new Vocation? It only costs you once per character.

The only other skill type I haven't really discussed is the augment category. Each of the nine vocations has a set of unique augments. These are purely passive skills, of which six can be equipped at once. They range the gamut, boosting your physical attack, magickal attack, physical defense, magickal defense, maximum stamina, stagger capacity, knockdown capacity, to letting your lanterns burn for longer or reducing fall damage or speeding up harvesting or reducing stamina consumption for casting spells or reducing the stamina cost of clambering on giant enemies. You name it, there's probably a passive augment for it. Augments are the only truly universal skills. Once an augment is unlocked on that character, it can be equipped absolutely regardless of your current Vocation. Indeed, it'd be a good idea to hit up a Wiki for a list of each Vocation's augments and plan out a roadmap of ones that fit your play style.

Here's a sample of universally great augments.

General purpose augments:
Bastion (Warrior rank 1, greatly increases physical defense)
Awareness (Sorcerer rank 1, greatly increases magickal defense)
Sinew (Fighter rank 5, increases max weight and encumbrance thresholds by 20KG)
Leg-Strength (Strider rank 9, renders you one encumbrance rank lighter for purposes of mobility)
Preemption (Assassin rank 6, attacks deal double damage when hitting unaware enemies)
Bloodlust (Assasin rank 4, greatly increases physical and magickal attack stats and slightly increases physical and magickal defense stats when it's night)
Autonomy (Assassin rank 9, greatly increases physical and magickal attack stats and slightly increases physical and magickal defense stats when playing solo [without Pawns], stacks with Bloodlust)
Regeneration (Magickal Archer rank 8, slow regeneration of health over time, DOES heal white damage)
Tenacity (BBI secret augment, occasionally lets you survive a killing blow with 1 HP)

Physical builds:
Clout (Warrior rank 9, increases physical attack by 20%)
Vehemence (Fighter rank 8, increases physical attack by 10%, stacks with Clout)
Damping (Strider rank 3, no recoil after firing your bow)
Trajectory (Ranger rank 6, causes your arrows to fly 30% farther)
Precision (Ranger rank 8, reduces aiming deviation when strafing while aiming)
Fortitude (Mystic Knight rank 1, slightly increases physical defense, stacks with Bastion)

Magickal builds:
Acuity (Sorcerer rank 9, increases magickal attack by 20%)
Attunement (Mage rank 9, increases magickal attack by 10%, stacks with Acuity)
Articulacy (Sorcerer rank 9, shortens spell casting intonation time by 10%)
Beatitude (Mage rank 4, healing magicks' auras last 50% longer)
Perpetuation (Mage rank 9, enchantment buffs last 30% longer)
Apotropaism (Mage rank 4, slightly increases magickal defense, stacks with Awareness)

There are MANY more Augments to unlock and play with. You're limited to six, but the above sample should give you a great idea of how you can pick and choose a set of augments that synergize well with your current build and Vocation. I would highly suggest unlocking Bastion and Awareness on both of your characters ASAP (since they're both rank 1 augments available as soon as you unlock their class), and then going for the augments that boost either your physical attack or magickal attack stats, depending on what kind of Arisen and Pawn you plan on building. Pawns, of course, will not have access to the augments tied to the three Hybrid Vocations (Assassin, Magickal Archer, Mystic Knight).

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That IS a coincidence! My Arisen and Pawn (twins) are so heavily customized, that I have all of the Character Creation choices and options numbered and mapped out in a Google Keep note! No way I could recreate her from memory. Not with all the insane options available! That said, most level 200 Pawns (of the same Vocation) are going to look more or less the same, assuming they're decked out in optimal BBI end-game gear. (Some create Pawns with role play and fashion in mind. I go for raw stats)!

The price to unlock a Vocation is a one-time thing. Once that Vocation is unlocked for your Arisen or Pawn, they stay unlocked. Do note that you have to unlock them separately. Unlocking Sorcerer on your Arisen won't unlock it on your Pawn. Once you have Vocations unlocked, you can change them up (at no additional cost) at any inn or establishment that offers inn-like services.

You've probably realized that the skills you purchase roughly break down into four categories. Primary active skills, secondary active skills, core skills, and augments. Primary, secondary, and core skills are all typed to specific weapon types. Let's take the Strider's double jump core skill as an example. It's a dagger skill that obviously lets you double jump any time you have a dagger equipped. Rangers use daggers, as do Assassins and Magickal Archers. So once you've unlocked the double jump for the Strider, if you switch to Ranger or Assassin (and are using daggers and short bows instead of sword and shield) or Magick Archer (and are using daggers instead of staves), you'll still be able to double jump with the other three non-Strider dagger-wielding Vocations. Likewise, Mages and Sorcerers have can add a levitate core skill to their jump that works both with the Mage's staves and the Sorcerer's archistaves. Once you unlock the levitate core skill with your Mage, both the Sorcerer and the Magick Archer (if using staves instead of daggers) will be able to levitate.

This isn't to say that ALL weapon skills overlap. A Magick Archer has both physical and magickal primary dagger skills at his/her disposal. Striders, Rangers, and Assassins only have access to (mostly) physical dagger primary skills. Likewise, there's pretty much NO overlap between a Fighter's sword and board active/secondary skills and a Warrior's two-hander primary skills. Similarly, short bow secondary skills (Strider, Assassin), long bow secondary skills (Ranger) and magickal bow secondary skills (Magickal Archer) also have little to no overlap. Mages and Sorcerers have a pool of spells that are shared across staves and archistaves. But Mages have a subset of spells that only work with their staves (healing and certain support spells). Sorcerers have a greater repertoire of attack and debilitating spells unique to their archistaves.

But my point is that if there is an overlap in skills across Vocations, purchasing that skill with one Vocation unlocks it for all compatible Vocations. Skills overlap? You only buy it once per character. Unlocking a new Vocation? It only costs you once per character.

The only other skill type I haven't really discussed is the augment category. Each of the nine vocations has a set of unique augments. These are purely passive skills, of which six can be equipped at once. They range the gamut, boosting your physical attack, magickal attack, physical defense, magickal defense, maximum stamina, stagger capacity, knockdown capacity, to letting your lanterns burn for longer or reducing fall damage or speeding up harvesting or reducing stamina consumption for casting spells or reducing the stamina cost of clambering on giant enemies. You name it, there's probably a passive augment for it. Augments are the only truly universal skills. Once an augment is unlocked on that character, it can be equipped by absolutely absolutely regardless of your current Vocation. Indeed, it'd be a good idea to hit up a Wiki for a list of each Vocation's augments and plan out a roadmap of ones that fit your play style.

Leg-Strength (Strider rank 9, renders you one encumbrance rank lighter for purposes of mobility)
Preemption (Assassin rank 6, attacks deal double damage when hitting unaware enemies)
Bloodlust (Assasin rank 4, greatly increases physical and magickal attack stats and slightly increases physical and magickal defense stats when it's night)
Autonomy (Assassin rank 9, greatly increases physical and magickal attack stats and slightly increases physical and magickal defense stats when playing solo [without Pawns], stacks with Bloodlust)
Regeneration (Magickal Archer rank 8, slow regeneration of health over time, DOES heal white damage)
Tenacity (BBI secret augment, occasionally lets you survive a killing blow with 1 HP)

Physical builds:
Fortitude (Mystic Knight rank 1, slightly increases physical defense, stacks with Bastion)

Magickal builds:
Apotropaism (Mage rank 4, slightly increases magickal defense, stacks with Awareness)

There are MANY more Augments to unlock and play with. You're limited to six, but the above sample should give you a great idea of how you can pick and choose a set of augments that synergize well with your current build and Vocation. I would highly suggest unlocking Bastion and Awareness on both of your characters ASAP, and then going for the augments that boost either your physical attack or magickal attack stats, depending on what kind of Arisen and Pawn you plan on building).

Wow, my good sir! Thank you so much for all this info. I am heading to bed now and so I will glean every word carefully in the morning so as to do justice to this response. Holy shit.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, my good sir! Thank you so much for all this info. I am heading to bed now and so I will glean every word carefully in the morning so as to do justice to this response. Holy shit.

With that, I'm off to bed too! Good night! I've edited that post a bit to clarify/correct some things.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think my break has served me well. I should probably jump back in either tomorrow or thursday.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What are you supposed to do in the everfall? Kill all the monster bosses in the doors, i don't get it, i stopped playing to grind but it got a bit tedious, something else to do in the ruined world?

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What are you supposed to do in the everfall? Kill all the monster bosses in the doors, i don't get it, i stopped playing to grind but it got a bit tedious, something else to do in the ruined world?

Fun to do once and maybe get some wakestones for sellage, but other than that, fuck it, it's literally a footnote. A footnote where if you give the wakestones to someone, you are ending your game (unless you want to go to NG plus) so uh... yeah,

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

The only other skill type I haven't really discussed is the augment category. Each of the nine vocations has a set of unique augments. These are purely passive skills, of which six can be equipped at once. They range the gamut, boosting your physical attack, magickal attack, physical defense, magickal defense, maximum stamina, stagger capacity, knockdown capacity, to letting your lanterns burn for longer or reducing fall damage or speeding up harvesting or reducing stamina consumption for casting spells or reducing the stamina cost of clambering on giant enemies. You name it, there's probably a passive augment for it. Augments are the only truly universal skills. Once an augment is unlocked on that character, it can be equipped absolutely regardless of your current Vocation. Indeed, it'd be a good idea to hit up a Wiki for a list of each Vocation's augments and plan out a roadmap of ones that fit your play style.

Physical builds:

Magickal builds:

There are MANY more Augments to unlock and play with. You're limited to six, but the above sample should give you a great idea of how you can pick and choose a set of augments that synergize well with your current build and Vocation. I would highly suggest unlocking Bastion and Awareness on both of your characters ASAP (since they're both rank 1 augments available as soon as you unlock their class), and then going for the augments that boost either your physical attack or magickal attack stats, depending on what kind of Arisen and Pawn you plan on building. Pawns, of course, will not have access to the augments tied to the three Hybrid Vocations (Assassin, Magickal Archer, Mystic Knight).

I kept telling myself not to double dip not to double dip not to double dip...

This just made me purchase the game again.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
If the wiki is correct (and it seems to be from my experience), that's not how they work.

They're a straight damage reduction (IIRC, they're both a 50HP damage reduction).

Meaning they're amazing early game, and pretty much useless end game.

Especially the Awareness one as magickal attacks tend to do A LOT of damage (whereas there are still some relatively low damage physical attacks, think fast hitting attacks).

Oct 27, 2017
So I have to say that this port is the worst time I've had with this game, just based on how long it takes to connect online. The music bug sucks, sure but ugh.

Bbi 2.0 is a pawn grinder and having to frequently use the rift is torture. When it does connect, it feels like I could go make a sandwich in the time it takes. But it's pretty sketch. It was an endless loop of errors a couple nights ago and I just had to stop playing because I could not get any pawns at the stone outside daimon's room after 30 minutes of trying to connect.

I've also had the game crash quite a bit. Without a strong preference for portable I wouldn't have put up with it until now.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
So... I've just been wandering around doing missions and random shit for like 12 hours. How do I tell if I'm actually progressing the story?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
L-O-fuckin-L at some of the last BBI quests. Find ALL 30 sculptures? Get ALL level 3 armors?

L-O-fuckin-L indeed.

Edit: I concur on the server issues. Infuriating. Well, at least it gives me time to browse the wiki extensively ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
So... I've just been wandering around doing missions and random shit for like 12 hours. How do I tell if I'm actually progressing the story?
Main story missions are always given in a chain and always from a single source at a particular time. After the pawn guild events in Gran Soren, they are the Wyrm Hunt quests from Ser Maximillian in front of the castle gates. Later, after you visit the duke, the quests are from the dukes advicer, Aldous, or the duke himself.

Once it moves on to the next quest giver, the one before can have some side quests for you, but should never give a main quest again.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Well, it was fun to relapse for a while, but the end of BBI 2.0 is definitely not my cup of tea.

I kinda get how some would like it ... except I really don't. Those spell-spamming HP sponges all remind me a bit too much that while sorcs were viable in the base game, in BBI 2.0 they could have been viable if they, you know, didn't need half a minute to cast a spell, something enemies obviously don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also lol at Uber-Daimon resistances. The epitome of HP-sponging.

I'm pretty soured about that, because while the base game was indeed stat-based, it also had a fair deal of skill involved. Here the latest fights are just gear-checks, and I'm really not a fan of such game design.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I've heard that Magic Archer needs a lot of stamina and my character currrently level 50 has levelled up only as a Sorcerer, because I love the flashiness of the spells. I should level up a few levels as a Ranger to get more stamina?

Also at what level I should go to Bitterback Island?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've heard that Magic Archer needs a lot of stamina and my character currrently level 50 has levelled up only as a Sorcerer, because I love the flashiness of the spells. I should level up a few levels as a Ranger to get more stamina?

BBI is 50+, probably recommended for level 70(ish) but you can go there whenever you want to.

I think Ranger has the highest stamina growth when leveling up. I would recommend going Strider/Ranger for a while anyway, they're fun.
You also unlock some of the dagger core skills that will be used as a Magick Archer anyway.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

BBI is not so much a matter of level but a matter of gear.

Technically some are going there at level 10 (pro-tip: they're insane), but it's all a matter of where you are in the story (the gear more or less unlocks with story progression). If you're towards the end of the game with good gear, the early stages of BBI should totally be doable.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
BBI is 50+, probably recommended for level 70(ish) but you can go there whenever you want to.

I think Ranger has the highest stamina growth when leveling up. I would recommend going Strider/Ranger for a while anyway, they're fun.
You also unlock some of the dagger core skills that will be used as a Magick Archer anyway.

I'll play Ranger then, besides I was tired of one shotting everything with spells.

BBI is not so much a matter of level but a matter of gear.

Technically some are going there at level 10 (pro-tip: they're insane), but it's all a matter of where you are in the story (the gear more or less unlocks with story progression). If you're towards the end of the game with good gear, the early stages of BBI should totally be doable.

My last histoy mission was retrieving the duke ring from that sorcerer so I'll continue with the story and secondary missions for a while.

Thanks both of you for the answers!

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Well, it was fun to relapse for a while, but the end of BBI 2.0 is definitely not my cup of tea.

I kinda get how some would like it ... except I really don't. Those spell-spamming HP sponges all remind me a bit too much that while sorcs were viable in the base game, in BBI 2.0 they could have been viable if they, you know, didn't need half a minute to cast a spell, something enemies obviously don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pretty soured about that, because while the base game was indeed stat-based, it also had a fair deal of skill involved. Here the latest fights are just gear-checks, and I'm really not a fan of such game design.

I always thought bbi (& 2.0) was easy for sorc
Casting time is not really a problem when all you need is holy affinity
And use focused bolts for everything
Stack demons periapt and augments for big fights
A gold forged hallowed dragon can easily decimate daimon2

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
And use focused bolts for everything
I must be missing something because I read that somewhere and so tried that, and yeah, it does 5-10 times the damage of a normal attack. Which is nothing (edit: some math reminder here, 10 times nothing is still nothing). And yeah I'm using holy weapons. And I have 2500+ magick (don't recall the exact number, between 2600 and 2700 IIRC).

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
I must be missing something because I read that somewhere and so tried that, and yeah, it does 5-10 times the damage of a normal attack. Which is nothing (edit: some math reminder here, 10 times nothing is still nothing). And yeah I'm using holy weapons. And I have 2500+ magick (don't recall the exact number, between 2600 and 2700 IIRC).

Focused bolts are good because there are no cast time, consume no stamina, can stagger targets, and you can charge it while moving/running
And the holy ones will auto home in on the enemies, even if they are not in view

They become even more powerful when you use 4 demon's periapts(+20% magick each), ontop of all the magick boosting augments (ferocity, acuity, attunement, autonomy for solo, and bloodlust for outside of bbi)

Can take down daimon2 in under a minute or two

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I remember reading Daimon2 is extremely resistant to all magick. When he's down temporarily he's absolutely not an HP sponge for physical damage, it takes 20-30 seconds to kill him.

Actually with Ranger, conqueror's periapts and blast arrows it takes about 15 seconds to kill him from the beginning of the fight.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I finally killed Daimon 1.0 (Hard mode) with my level 115 Arisen and Pawn (both Sorcerers) and two hirelings a bit higher than that. One a healing Mage, the other a Fighter. I used Holy enchanted Focused Bolts for most of my damage and while it wasn't fast (my Arisen did 1-10 as a Strider, 11-70 as an Assassin, 71-100 as a Magick Archer, and only 101-115 so far as a Sorcerer) because my Magick Attack is still pretty shite, it definitely was doable. No periapts or blast arrows, and I did fuck up once and wound up using the Wakestone near his throne. Once I'm done with my Sorcerer levels (up to 200), I plan on returning to Magick Archer.

If the wiki is correct (and it seems to be from my experience), that's not how they work.

They're a straight damage reduction (IIRC, they're both a 50HP damage reduction).

Meaning they're amazing early game, and pretty much useless end game.

Especially the Awareness one as magickal attacks tend to do A LOT of damage (whereas there are still some relatively low damage physical attacks, think fast hitting attacks).

I believe the "greater" ones mitigate 50 damage on Normal and 225 on Hard (which is what I play), and the "lesser" ones mitigate 30/70. They're great at the beginning of the game, and that's probably why the "greater" ones are rank 1 unlocks. They can help out quite a bit at first, but yeah, I'd eventually phase them out.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I believe the "greater" ones mitigate 50 damage on Normal and 225 on Hard (which is what I play), and the "lesser" ones mitigate 30/70.
Yeah you're (almost) right. They mitigate more damage on Hard, but also have specific values for BBI.

According to the wiki:
Normal = 50
Hard = 225
BBI = 112.5 (regardless of difficulty)

Edit: Thanks to all who replied. I know all the perks of Focused Bolt. It's just in my experience it does jack shit damage.

I'll try again tonight to see if stacking demons periapts can make a difference.

Last edited: