• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
I'm up to Salomet fight in Blue Moon Tower playing as Magick Archer lv 30 and I just haven't felt like I have been powerful enough for any of the fights, even with bandits etc. I kinda just want to be OP and blaze through the main storyline, what build should I go with?

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to Salomet fight in Blue Moon Tower playing as Magick Archer lv 30 and I just haven't felt like I have been powerful enough for any of the fights, even with bandits etc. I kinda just want to be OP and blaze through the main storyline, what build should I go with?

Befriend someone with a high level pawn and rent them.

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's a question I have. I've pretty much maxed my ranks (the red badges you get) for Strider now. Should I switch? Will I stop leveling up if I don't? What's the benefit of switching?

The benefits of Switching is getting the Augments from each class that you can use regardless of class, as opposed to skills which are locked too their class. Want to increase your carry weight, get Sinew from Fighter class for example.

There's a level cap at lvl200. So you'll keep leveling as usual, no matter the class.

Each class offers different boosts when leveling up. Fighter gives strength, Warrior gives even more strength. Mage boosts magic, Strider boosts stamina etc.

Done the quest clearing the enemies out of there. 3 ogres and undead, goblins. Anon has set up shop. Looks like the other end of the mine is not far from Shadow Fort. I'll continue tomorrow!

Good job! That section is one of my favourites.

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK

The Magic Archer class takes its attack modifiers from both the Strength and Magic stats. I think mainly the bow skills are magic, and the blades are strength based mostly.

I believe the Assassin class has the highest strength modifier, and the Sorcerer Class head the highest magic modifier. You can change to them and level up some and try the Magic Archer again.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations on which class to switch to now? I am level 29 Strider. I really like the bow, it's cool, sooo tempted to go Mage to level magic, then switch to Magik Archer later?

Anyway, one thing I've noticed with some quests is that you select to 'View on map', but then nothing appears. I am not sure what to do with quests like that.

Also, the dude in the Ale House in Gran Soren has a red marker above his head, but when I talk to him he says something like I 'must be busy'. I assume I'll stumble upon a quest involving him later.

So far though, I am loving this game!

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, so If you level up a sorcerer, when you switch to Magic archer it will have more powerful magic over switching from say, a Strider?

dragonsdogma.fandom.com

Stat Growths

Stat Growth in Dragon's Dogma is the gain in primary Stats on gaining a Character Level ("leveling up"). Stat Growths are influenced by Vocation. Upon leveling up, each of the six primary stats (Health, Stamina, Strength, Magick, Defense, and Magick Defense) will increase in an amount determined...

This will explain it. People who want to maximize their magic, just start at sorcerer until they max out at level 200.

You won't really feel op until, at least, level 50. You won't be op but you'll feel better.

I'm doing a 2nd run thru to get more levels.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just went to the island from Cassardis.

Is this the DLC area? If so, I'll leave it til later!

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any recommendations on which class to switch to now? I am level 29 Strider. I really like the bow, it's cool, sooo tempted to go Mage to level magic, then switch to Magik Archer later?

Anyway, one thing I've noticed with some quests is that you select to 'View on map', but then nothing appears. I am not sure what to do with quests like that.

Also, the dude in the Ale House in Gran Soren has a red marker above his head, but when I talk to him he says something like I 'must be busy'. I assume I'll stumble upon a quest involving him later.

So far though, I am loving this game!

You can do that, switch to mage, maybe Assassin to raise some strength, it has the highest strength boost of the classes.

The symbol on top of the innkeepers head basically just means you have a quest in progress or completed that you can give to him. If he's not giving your a reward for completing a quest, it's just a quest you picked up from the Inn notice board.

Also, that island is the dlc zone. Better to that at the end.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Arsmith's icon over his head is now Yellow. He's obviously expecting me to give him an item, but I've got no item what he wants.

:D

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Well, I beat the final boss (awesome fight) and made my way into the post-game! I'm looking forward to exploring the post-game and Bitterblack, since I've heard this content is when the game's at its best. I'm only lv. 42, so I'll need to get a bit stronger before I head into the DLC.

Question: Does BBI's difficulty increase with NG+? Since I constantly hear this is where the story gets good, I want to finish the main game content up to see the ending, but I also know BBI is supposed to be the best part of the game, so I want to do that and don't want to be destroyed if it gets really hard on NG+.

Arsmith's icon over his head is now Yellow. He's obviously expecting me to give him an item, but I've got no item what he wants.

:D
I had a quest at some point to give him an Herb Ale. Could be that?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Question: Does BBI's difficulty increase with NG+? Since I constantly hear this is where the story gets good, I want to finish the main game content up to see the ending, but I also know BBI is supposed to be the best part of the game, so I want to do that and don't want to be destroyed if it gets really hard on NG+.

Nope, as long as you NG+ on the same difficulty as your original playthrough.

On PS3, I finished the game, then did a quick run through NG+ (just clearing out the key quests and sidequests, so Quina and Selene stuff, making sure Madeleine was my beloved again, etc.) before trying BBI.

NG+ can be cleared in a day, easily. Of course, you can just head to BBI as soon as you start.

You'll probably get destroyed regardless though XD. BBI can be brutal, even at higher levels.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Nope, as long as you NG+ on the same difficulty as your original playthrough.

On PS3, I finished the game, then did a quick run through NG+ (just clearing out the key quests and sidequests, so Quina and Selene stuff, making sure Madeleine was my beloved again, etc.) before trying BBI.

NG+ can be cleared in a day, easily. Of course, you can just head to BBI as soon as you start.

You'll probably get destroyed regardless though XD. BBI can be brutal, even at higher levels.
Oh, cool. I guess I assumed NG+ increases the difficulty 'cause I'm used to Dark Souls lol. That's good to know. I'll work my way through the post-game first and then head to the DLC, then. I got annihilated by the first "boss" in the post-game area, so time to grind!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, cool. I guess I assumed NG+ increases the difficulty 'cause I'm used to Dark Souls lol. That's good to know. I'll work my way through the post-game first and then head to the DLC, then. I got annihilated by the first "boss" in the post-game area, so time to grind!

I can't remember the exact number now, but I think I was around level 80 when I entered BBI, in NG+ post game.

In terms of default post game, I found that once Drakes are just as trivial as any other encounter, that's when you should tackle that.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I beat the final boss (awesome fight) and made my way into the post-game! I'm looking forward to exploring the post-game and Bitterblack, since I've heard this content is when the game's at its best. I'm only lv. 42, so I'll need to get a bit stronger before I head into the DLC.

I had a quest at some point to give him an Herb Ale. Could be that?

Cheers! I'll try that.

I am exploring at the moment, and there's some really interesting areas. I love how you come across little boss type enemies like the Lion/Snake/Goat-thing and the Griffin's. Game is ace!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Got to Northface Forest. Big birds and wolves! Reward was a Healing Spring and a Castle/fort!

😎

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Found a very windy ravine (Blighted Manse, near another Healing Spring) with some tough enemies throughout. Will come back there later

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Got to Greatwall Encampment tonight. Can't seem to be able do anything there right now.

I guess I should push on with Maximilian's quests.

The Catacombs took me to a dead end too. I assume I should be able to keep getting deeper and deeper but I got to a door that wouldn't open. It's obviously intended as there was a ladder near by that took me right back to near Everfall.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Got to Greatwall Encampment tonight. Can't seem to be able do anything there right now.

I guess I should push on with Maximilian's quests.

The Catacombs took me to a dead end too. I assume I should be able to keep getting deeper and deeper but I got to a door that wouldn't open. It's obviously intended as there was a ladder near by that took me right back to near Everfall.
Yeah, the Greatwall is one of those places you can discover early but can't really do anything until you get the quest for it. I'd plunk down a portcrystal if you're still there, 'cause walking all the way back when you need to is a pain. I think the Catacombs also open up more with a quest at some point?

I've changed vocation to Sorcerer (I was MK for most of the game), and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Those big spells look really awesome, but they're sooo slow, and shifting from a melee class where I can just run in and go to town is definitely jarring. I'll probably stay as Sorc a bit to raise my magic and then switch back out.

Last edited:

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the Greatwall is one of those places you can discover early but can't really do anything until you get the quest for it. I'd plunk down a portcrystal if you're still there, 'cause walking all the way back when you need to is a pain. I think the Catacombs also open up more with a quest at some point?

I've changed vocation from Sorcerer (I was MK for most of the game), and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Those big spells look really awesome, but they're sooo slow, and shifting from a melee class where I can just run in and go to town is definitely jarring. I'll probably stay as Sorc a bit to raise my magic and then switch back out.

Cheers, yeah I dropped a crystal as it looks like a place I'll be going back to.

One of Maximilians quests is to meet The Duke, but it says I'll have to give up my Licence for it. I am not sure that sounds like something I want to do yet, but maybe its OK?

I'd like to try Sorcerer, but that's interesting you say that as it's my concern with it - I love running in as a Strider with the blades!

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Cheers, yeah I dropped a crystal as it looks like a place I'll be going back to.

One of Maximilians quests is to meet The Duke, but it says I'll have to give up my Licence for it. I am not sure that sounds like something I want to do yet, but maybe its OK?

I'd like to try Sorcerer, but that's interesting you say that as it's my concern with it - I love running in as a Strider with the blades!
I believe giving Max the license basically progresses the story, and in particular locks you of the Wyrm Hunt quests (probably others too, but who knows). So I'd complete those if you haven't, then do it.

Yeah, I dunno. The spell effects are really awesome, but playing it just feels weird. Part of it also is that Pawns are such dweebs, and I feel like they're not nearly as good at taking aggro and targeting enemy's weak points and things like that as I am when I'm a melee character, so I feel like my party is more efficient when I have caster Pawns and fight in melee myself.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
His next quest (2nd in the list from him) has me back in the Catacombs again :D

Oh well, at least I know where it is, and the rear entrance is only just up the way from Gran Soren.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth having a fake Wyrm Licence created from the Black Cat shop? It looks like I will need to give the license up soon for the last currently available quest from Maximilian. Do I still need the license after this? If it's just for the shop discount it may be handy, although I've got 600k on me atm.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Ur-Dragon question: apparently if I don't see "accessing server" after it flies away, I exceeded the damage cap? Does this round not count and I wasted my time? I just want the masks from the rewards because the BBI head gear is mostly ugly.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I did this when I was testing spells after a vocation change and felt like an idiot. I left the game running and went to do laundry until they let me out lol

Ha :)
I actually had a skeleton key on me so unlocked the door 😂

Next quest for me is the Duke one with Maximilian. Time to give up the licence. It sounds like every current quest gets wiped from my log, even "Kill x animal 2 times". That's a little odd??

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
So if I like a pawn but don't have much from bbi, what should I gift?

And where should I post my pawn or info?

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So if I like a pawn but don't have much from bbi, what should I gift?

And where should I post my pawn or info?

Really, whatever you want. Usually upgrade materials that might be rare if you have some tho spare, I usually gave Healing Spring Water bottles.

You can post it here, if people are still playing, or try the official thread at Reddit if they have one.

Ha :)
I actually had a skeleton key on me so unlocked the door 😂

Next quest for me is the Duke one with Maximilian. Time to give up the licence. It sounds like every current quest gets wiped from my log, even "Kill x animal 2 times". That's a little odd??

Only the Wyrm Hunt quests and possibly side quests will be locked out, kill X number of enemies strike quests stay present.

By the way, if you made it to the Great Wall, if you head right with the entrance to your back, you'll come to the end of the area with graves littered around. Come here at night to fight a Wight who constantly summons skeletons. It's a good place to farm some levels as long as you don't kill the Wight. If you do kill him, he resets after 4-5 days.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Whew. Been a while since I either played or updated the Google Spreadsheet.
Well, I made another pass at the latter, but it'll likely be my last since it seems that most have stopped playing.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Really, whatever you want. Usually upgrade materials that might be rare if you have some tho spare, I usually gave Healing Spring Water bottles.

You can post it here, if people are still playing, or try the official thread at Reddit if they have one.

Only the Wyrm Hunt quests and possibly side quests will be locked out, kill X number of enemies strike quests stay present.

By the way, if you made it to the Great Wall, if you head right with the entrance to your back, you'll come to the end of the area with graves littered around. Come here at night to fight a Wight who constantly summons skeletons. It's a good place to farm some levels as long as you don't kill the Wight. If you do kill him, he resets after 4-5 days.

Thanks, I'll check that area out!

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whew. Been a while since I either played or updated the Google Spreadsheet.
Well, I made another pass at the latter, but it'll likely be my last since it seems that most have stopped playing.

Sadly people have moved on. I still intend to jump back in later, but Fire Emblem had my focus at the moment.

I think we're at the point of needing Dragon's Dogma 2, rather than keep playing ports on new systems.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been so busy I haven't booted my Switch in nearly a month. This is a tough game to pick up and continue when you're faced with limited free time from week to week.

Though last I checked I'd just made it to level 70, had to stop playing due to lack of time, but now that I've got a few days to myself I want to jump back in and try to make a break for 100 if possible. Pretty sure most in that sheet have moved on; out of the nearly 20 friend requests I sent out for this game (including Grewitch and Mejilan) I only got a half dozen responses total in return, lol.

To the randoms that hired my pawn, thank you! Didn't get a chance to fully enjoy BBI the first time I played DD:DA on the 360, but now I've got a decent enough amount of rift crystals in the Switch version to crack open the vault and purify some gear.

Still playing! Just not as often as I'd like. But man, I'm lovin' every last enthusiastic post KennyLinder drops in this thread. :D

Might swap out to a different class for a while though, anyone have some tips for hiring Sorcerer pawns?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
:) I am really enjoying the game, I really regret not getting into it when it came out on PS3. No matter!

I've gone back to the Greatwall but I've not found the graves yet, but the swamp now has ghost type enemies all around it which like grabbing onto me and my pawns. They are kicking my ass a little at moment (I am lv38) so will stay here for a bit to fight these guys, then head over and start the Duke quest. I'll try and find the graves too, sounds cool!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Found the graves! Lots of skeletons!! :D

I think a pawn has died though, they've vanished!

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Edit: Found the graves! Lots of skeletons!! :D

I think a pawn has died though, they've vanished!

Rip, at least there's more exp for you.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been so busy I haven't booted my Switch in nearly a month. This is a tough game to pick up and continue when you're faced with limited free time from week to week.

Though last I checked I'd just made it to level 70, had to stop playing due to lack of time, but now that I've got a few days to myself I want to jump back in and try to make a break for 100 if possible. Pretty sure most in that sheet have moved on; out of the nearly 20 friend requests I sent out for this game (including Grewitch and Mejilan) I only got a half dozen responses total in return, lol.

To the randoms that hired my pawn, thank you! Didn't get a chance to fully enjoy BBI the first time I played DD:DA on the 360, but now I've got a decent enough amount of rift crystals in the Switch version to crack open the vault and purify some gear.

Still playing! Just not as often as I'd like. But man, I'm lovin' every last enthusiastic post KennyLinder drops in this thread. :D

Might swap out to a different class for a while though, anyone have some tips for hiring Sorcerer pawns?

I think I might still have your pawn in my active party, don't remember if I sent them back or not.

For tips: I only know that for late game Holy world very well against most enemies, and since it's an offensive class, just make sure they have the right inclinations like Scather/Challenger or Challenger/Scather. As for spells, they're York the user and situational. I would check the top rated sorcerer pawns to get the general idea of what you should be looking for.

Of course two Sorcerer pawns with same spells can sync their casting and shorten the casting time.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
I just completed the main story and started expansion. Died alot😂. It's a lot harder than the main game maybe I should switch back the my main vocation.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Level 39 now and still trucking

Been to see the Duke!
Rescued the witch!
Helped some kids dad out of a dungeon!
Grabbed a letter from a cave!
Back in the catacombs after acquiring a key!

I am still Strider, might switch at some point.

Dude in the shop is asking for an Idol. I've got a gold one, not sure whether to give it him or not? If Is means he'll sell me better gear it could be handy. Unless I need the idol for something or someone else??

The lady in the other shop is now asking for an idol! Hmmmm

Last edited:

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Finally leveled to 200. Used a few vocations in the beginning, then went in hard on sorcerer from 70 to 200. Now it's all MA.

Went thru bbi once. Now I'm farming for level 2 loot. Bumped up to hard to power thru the last 60 levels and post daimon bbi hits hard. Now I'm getting a handle on it but I'm going to have to do more farming. I tried to go solo on my post daimon runs but it's too much. I guess you can go it with some planning and level 1 gear but I couldn't.

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Level 39 now and still trucking

Been to see the Duke!
Rescued the witch!
Helped some kids dad out of a dungeon!
Grabbed a letter from a cave!
Back in the catacombs after acquiring a key!

I am still Strider, might switch at some point.

Dude in the shop is asking for an Idol. I've got a gold one, not sure whether to give it him or not? If Is means he'll sell me better gear it could be handy. Unless I need the idol for something or someone else??

The lady in the other shop is now asking for an idol! Hmmmm

The idol gives you a price discount at shops. What you need to do is make a forgery and give him the real one, make sure not to give him the forgery otherwise they won't update their stock.

The guy gives more non-magical stock, while Madeline stocks more magic-based items. So you'll have to decide on who to give it to.

You should have our be getting a quest that rewards you the silver Idol, you can give that to the vendor that isn't your primary choice.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The idol gives you a price discount at shops. What you need to do is make a forgery and give him the real one, make sure not to give him the forgery otherwise they won't update their stock.

The guy gives more non-magical stock, while Madeline stocks more magic-based items. So you'll have to decide on who to give it to.

You should have our be getting a quest that rewards you the silver Idol, you can give that to the vendor that isn't your primary choice.

Thanks. And, what is to be done with the forgery version?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought in the capcom sale, any tips for a newcomer?

There is a huge difficulty spike fairly early on in a specific area ( you take a left up a hill just past the Encampment, and there are a lot of bandits). You will more than likely get destroyed here on your first go, depending on your class, hell I still got screwed here on my PS4 playthrough after playing on PS3 for like 200 hours lmao. It's probably the only real roadblock/difficulty spike in the entire game.
In terms of classes, you're encouraged to swap through them, as they give you some universal and cross class abilities, and different stat increases as you level up. So the fighter increases defense, so that's good for the greatshield and magic wielding mystic knight hybrid class, but you might want to do more damage so you should level a bit as a warrior for strength increase, but you plan on focusing primarily on using magic to attack so putting a lot of levels into a sorcerer would be ideal, as an example. Of course, you could just focus on one you enjoy and be fine. I wouldn't min-max on a first playthrough though, as that basically involves you playing classes you might not want to play until you hit the level cap, before you finally swap to your desired class, and i was still like 80 levels off that cap after NG+ and a good chunk of DLC postgame lol.

I'd make sure to travel on foot for as long as is tolerable. It's slow to get around, but it's helpful to know the layout of the land, and the world is kinda small, but well designed with lots of connecting areas. You'll be able to put custom fast travel beacons down as you progres though, so you can put them in locations you visit frequently, and you can set them up for NG+ to help speed up quests there.

Finally, make sure you do sidequests. The game is like New Vegas, were there are only a handful of actual story missions, and here you can breeze through on NG+ in an hour or so if you just mainline it. Notice board quests aren't as important though, so escort quests, etc. There are a lot of points of no return in regards to sidequests though. The wiki has a list of sidequests and how long they are available until. There are a few spoilers here though, but nothing too major except for the bit at the bottom regarding Checkpoint Saves. Someone might have a more spoi'erfree list, but it's kinda hard to say what sidequests need to be finished prior to a specific main mission without naming said main mission XD.
https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Quests

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought in the capcom sale, any tips for a newcomer?

Try out all the classes that interest you - they feel pretty different and keep the game fresh. There are good passive skills to be learned from many too. Class does affect stat growth as you level, but don't lose sleep over it unless you're someone who deeply enjoys min maxing. Equipment will matter the most in the DLC bitterblack isle area where you have the hardest fights.

Also, things to know about pawns:
  • if you the pawns you're running with get killed quick, check what level they are - they don't level along with you and your pawn. Don't keep Rook for the entire game.
  • if your pawn isn't behaving very usefully, check their inclinations. Some inclinations are not very useful (Guardian for instance is generally bad, some inclinations work for some classes and not others). Pawns learn from your behavior and you can sometimes teach them to suck if you use the dpad commands too much. You can adjust their inclinations again by buying potions at the encampment. Knowledge chair adjusts the secondary inclination.
General tips:

Escort quests can be frustrating early on. One thing you can do to cheese it a bit is to make the journey without your charge first, drop a portstone there (I think you get your first one pretty early in the game), and use fast travel to complete the quest. Pick your eternal ferrystone up from your inn storage once you get access to it, it's non-expendable so just keep it on you. Exploring the world on foot though is way better for your first time through.

Accept all the collectathon quests, you'll just naturally complete some of them over time. Don't go out of your way for them.

I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some tips that I can remember:

1. The game doesn't tell you this, but the game has stages of progression, and some quests are locked to a stage. For example, right in the beginning, you get the quest Lost and Found, if you don't complete it by the time you get to Gran Soren and a certain guild, you'll fail the quest and be locked out of an area later in the game.

2. Do the Lost and Found quest before leaving The Encampment with a certain cargo. You'll encounter really tough bandits along the way, save often. It is possible to kill them, it took me about 15 + tries or more, I've got a vid of it up, I think, so if you want a challenge, it's there for you. After that, the game isn't too bad honestly.

3. Equip Lanterns on all your party. Your pawn and others don't need oil, so don't worry about that.

4. Inclinations matter for your pawns and hired pawns. Search the wiki to learn more so you know and set them accordingly and keep that in mind when hiring new ones.

5. Feel free to put loot into your three pawns. Don't equip weapons, armour or accessories on hired pawns otherwise they'll keep them permanently and you'll lose them. When you dismiss a pawn or they die and diasappear on the field, all items you gave them to carry get sent to your storage, so don't worry.

6. Hire and change pawns as you feel fit. Better to have a party fit for all occasions.

7. Fresh fruit and meat rot.Keeping them in storage prevents that.

8. Enemies and treasure chests reset after a number of days.

9. Have fun.

Hope that helps.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if anyone else has been playing this recently, I got back into it since it was on sale on Xbox.

It's a long shot and I may have to check on reddit but I figured I'd ask here first if anyone has a spare Delta Guard on Xbox One that they'd be willing to send my way.