Votes: 149 18.3%
  • Not Like Us

Votes: 347 42.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 1.8%

• Total voters

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
You could say Drake brought more eyes to something, there ain't no fuckin' way you can say Drake had shit to do with it charting or record breaking. That's just absurd.

Drake literally clowned himself. "Fuck the big three it's only big d and this video gonna be the proof." Proceeds to flop and not be proof.

It's "fuck the big 3 it's only big D and there's video proof" referring to the nude video he leaked of himself lol.

You're still right though otherwise

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of grasping on the fact that Drakes presence in the beef is helping it chart as some kind of winning chip is just flabbergasting to me. Dude self calls out Epstein and Millie Bobby Brown while sounding like a sad dog saying he no longer wants to respond. But boy, thanks to his name Kendrick was able to blow out some records lol

It's "fuck the big 3 it's only big D and there's video proof" referring to the nude video he leaked of himself lol.

You're still right though otherwise

Oh wow, had mostly only listened and had taken that the opposite way lmao It's even worse this dude put in talking about his fucking dick lmao this is a bigger l.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
euphoria for me. Perfect diss track. Escalates like 😚👌

6:16 the underrated one though, the "have you ever thought that OVO is working for me?" bar hits perfect every time.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Not Like Us is great, but Euphoria probably stands out to me. MtG was also good, but it's not really a song I want to play on repeat.

I didn't really like Drake before this so didn't really like many of his. I recognize Push Ups was at least catchy although lyrically pretty whatever

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
are we going to try to deny how prolific of an artist Kendrick is?
Am I saying he isn't popular or am I saying Drake who's a bigger artist brought more attention to a hip hop beef?

The back and forth, the streamers and media attentions, the release cadence of the tracks, it's the difference between Kong skull island and Godzilla vs Kong. It was an event.

Oct 25, 2017
I think all of Kendrick's track will stand the test of time but Meet The Grahams is fucking brutal. The eerie beat, addressing all of his family, stripping back Drake's whole persona, the timing of it, the length, good lord. It's like Nail in The Coffin or Steve Jobs by Lupe but times a zillion, I don't think I've heard a diss track before that goes that far in sheer character assassination before, I'd love to hear any that are close.

The track still holds up even if you take the daughter part out which may or may not be the one flaw in it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Am I saying he isn't popular or am I saying Drake who's a bigger artist brought more attention to a hip hop beef?

The back and forth, the streamers and media attentions, the release cadence of the tracks, it's the difference between Kong skull island and Godzilla vs Kong. It was an event.
There is a difference between arguing that Drake's level of fame naturally drew eyes to what would otherwise be uneventful rap beef, and implying that Kendrick owes anything to Drake for having the ability to even chart at all. The former is just a recognition of celebrity dynamics. The latter is both a backhanded compliment to Kendrick's and Mustard's talents and a dismissal of why people like NLU in the first place, which is naturally what most Drake fans are doing to just avoid admitting the fact that he fucking lost.

Fact of the matter is: Kendrick and Mustard don't owe Drake shit.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
The idea of grasping on the fact that Drakes presence in the beef is helping it chart as some kind of winning chip is just flabbergasting to me. Dude self calls out Epstein and Millie Bobby Brown while sounding like a sad dog saying he no longer wants to respond. But boy, thanks to his name Kendrick was able to blow out some records lol

Someone asked why Meek, Pusha, and Ross didn't get number 1 or a big hit and the stan answered "they didn't have the juice".

Like, fucking what??? Is Drake the reason or do you need the juice AND Drake? Ross has 5 #1 records yet couldn't go number 1 WITH Drake nor going AT Drake.

It's almost like it's the artist and not the guy they're dissing.

Jan 15, 2019
There's a little bit of truth to the idea that NLU has been so successful because it's about Drake. Like, if this beef had been between Kendrick and, idunno, Joey Badass, I don't think nearly as many people outside of dedicated rap fans would ever end up paying attention to it (and that's setting aside that Kendrick's not gonna make NLU exactly as is in that situation, but you get what I'm saying.)

But that's not a compliment to Drake. Without years of people giving Drake the side-eye about his interactions with underage girls, Not Like Us wouldn't have the potency it does. So, yeah, the song being about Drake being a pedophile garners more attention than if the song was aimed at Benny the Butcher or whatever, but I don't know why Drake fans would gloat about that. It just kinda goes without saying.

And none of that has anything to do with the main thing: Kendrick's songs in all this are simply way better. Drake's audience is larger, so he should have had an easier time getting a hit record out of this, but he couldn't make it happen because he just didn't have the juice.

Last edited:

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I think part of why NLU hit is not much that it's just about Drake, but that it's attacking Drake in specific ways that resonate with a majority of people. It's not so much personal grievances as "you are a bad person and here's why" and listeners are like "yeah".

Jan 15, 2019
I think part of why NLU hit is not much that it's just about Drake, but that it's attacking Drake in specific ways that resonate with a majority of people. It's not so much personal grievances as "you are a bad person and here's why" and listeners are like "yeah".

Right, anyone saying Kendrick "needed" Drake to go #1 is really saying "if Drake wasn't such a big artist with such a large number of questionable interactions with minors over many years, fewer people would wanna hear a song saying he's a certified pedophile" which, yeah I agree, but what's even the argument at that point?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between arguing that Drake's level of fame naturally drew eyes to what would otherwise be uneventful rap beef, and implying that Kendrick owes anything to Drake for having the ability to even chart at all. The former is just a recognition of celebrity dynamics. The latter is both a backhanded compliment to Kendrick's and Mustard's talents and a dismissal of why people like NLU in the first place, which is naturally what most Drake fans are doing to just avoid admitting the fact that he fucking lost.

And they also ignore the fact that Drake couldn't even capitalize on his own "celebrity dynamics" to get a number one, or even a number three single.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
re:

Best Song of the beef?

Its never going to be in the rotation but MTG was the gamechanger

It was calculated, sinister, and kept in the pocket to be released at the exact moment it needed to

It was the master play

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Meet the Grahams is probably for me the best song of the beef just because of how... brutal it felt. Not Like Us might have people dance to you being called a pedo, but MTG just dresses Drake down and it is such a biggest hater moment. It is not a song that you want to hear many times but that is kind of the point of the song that it makes you feel like if you had seen a personal dress down.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

it is a hater's anthem with pure west coast bonafides and a braggadocio call and response as a hook, that shit was goin platinum regardless who the target was

drake admitted as much on his white flag song lmao

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Drake's fame is one element. That meant this many eyes on it, yes. But all the eyes in the world wouldn't matter if the song wasn't good.

The quality of the track and how it was dropped is the main reason it's a hit.

Jan 15, 2019
re:

Best Song of the beef?

Its never going to be in the rotation but MTG was the gamechanger

It was calculated, sinister, and kept in the pocket to be released at the exact moment it needed to

It was the master play

MtG is probably the most devastating diss track of all time when you factor in not just the content of the song but also the timing of it. It felt like hearing Dance with the Devil for the first time but about a real person.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Euphoria hands down.

It's got that Goku has arrived impact.

Also, it straight up targets Drake's character. If everything else are lies for the sake of rap battle, Euphoria is the most honest of all of them.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
That last verse in MTG might be one of the most haunting/chilling in all of hip-hop history. Imagine Aubrey listening to that shit the first time around?

That was Kendrick pretty much yelling right into the dude's ear everything he had held up over the past decade.

Dear Aubrey
I know you probably thinkin' I wanted to crash your party

But truthfully, I don't have a hatin' bone in my body
This supposed to be a good exhibition within the game

But you fucked up the moment you called out my family's name
Why you had to stoop so low to discredit some decent people?
Guess integrity is lost when the metaphors doesn't reach you

And I like to understand 'cause your house was never a home
Thirty-seven, but you showin' up as a seven-year-old

You got gamblin' problems, drinkin' problems, pill-poppin' and spendin' problems
Bad with money, whorehouse

Solicitin' women problems, therapy's a lovely start
But I suggest some ayahuasca, strip the ego from the bottom
I try to empathize with you 'cause I know that you ain't been through nothin'
Crave entitlement, but wanna be liked so bad that it's puzzlin'

No dominance, let's recap moments when you didn't fit in
No secret handshakes with your friend
No culture cachet to binge, just disrespectin' your mother
Identity's on the fence, don't know which family will love ya
The skin that you livin' in is compromised in personas
Can't channel your masculine even when standin' next to a woman
You a body shamer, you gon' hide them baby mamas, ain't ya?
You embarrassed of 'em, that's not right, that ain't how mama raised us
Take that mask off, I wanna see what's under them achievements
Why believe you? You never gave us nothin' to believe in
'Cause you lied about religious views, you lied about your surgery
You lied about your accent and your past tense, all is perjury
You lied about your ghostwriters, you lied about your crew members

They all pussy, you lied on 'em, I know they all got you in 'em
You lied about your son, you lied about your daughter, huh
You lied about them other kids that's out there hopin' that you come

You lied about the only artist that can offer you some help
Fuck a rap battle, this a long life battle with yourself

In terms of diss tracks, that's like the kill shot.

Not Like Us (and bbl dizzy) was the dancing victory lap over the corpse.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That last verse in MTG might be one of the most haunting/chilling in all of hip-hop history. Imagine Aubrey listening to that shit the first time around?

That was Kendrick pretty much yelling right into the dude's ear everything he had held up over the past decade.

Dear Aubrey
I know you probably thinkin' I wanted to crash your party

But truthfully, I don't have a hatin' bone in my body
This supposed to be a good exhibition within the game

But you fucked up the moment you called out my family's name
Why you had to stoop so low to discredit some decent people?
Guess integrity is lost when the metaphors doesn't reach you

And I like to understand 'cause your house was never a home
Thirty-seven, but you showin' up as a seven-year-old

You got gamblin' problems, drinkin' problems, pill-poppin' and spendin' problems
Bad with money, whorehouse

Solicitin' women problems, therapy's a lovely start
But I suggest some ayahuasca, strip the ego from the bottom
I try to empathize with you 'cause I know that you ain't been through nothin'
Crave entitlement, but wanna be liked so bad that it's puzzlin'

No dominance, let's recap moments when you didn't fit in
No secret handshakes with your friend
No culture cachet to binge, just disrespectin' your mother
Identity's on the fence, don't know which family will love ya
The skin that you livin' in is compromised in personas
Can't channel your masculine even when standin' next to a woman
You a body shamer, you gon' hide them baby mamas, ain't ya?
You embarrassed of 'em, that's not right, that ain't how mama raised us
Take that mask off, I wanna see what's under them achievements
Why believe you? You never gave us nothin' to believe in
'Cause you lied about religious views, you lied about your surgery
You lied about your accent and your past tense, all is perjury
You lied about your ghostwriters, you lied about your crew members

They all pussy, you lied on 'em, I know they all got you in 'em
You lied about your son, you lied about your daughter, huh
You lied about them other kids that's out there hopin' that you come

You lied about the only artist that can offer you some help
Fuck a rap battle, this a long life battle with yourself

In terms of diss tracks, that's like the kill shot.

Not Like Us (and bbl dizzy) was the dancing victory lap over the corpse.
How he calm at first then just got angrier and then the echo on the You lied line was just a brutal assault at the end

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

You agreed with a joking assertion saying Drake is more hated than Kendrick is liked.

Cmon dude.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Drake stans gotta stop pretending Mustard (who made Tyga listenable) and Kendrick don't have multiple multiplatinum records under their belts. As if being in the 'big three' wouldn't have had eyeballs on a new Kendrick Lamar song off general principle.

NLU is a hit record, would it have been as big as quick going viral as a result of the beef? Probably Not. But it's the most mainstream pop record he's put out in years if not ever and genuinely a fun record right before summer; this was inevitable even if it was going to be a slower climb that an insane 'one week later…'

Last edited:

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
MTG is the most devastating and Euphoria is probably the best track overall but I have to say I do really enjoy the Like That verse and the big 3/big me line feels like the crown jewel of the whole back and forth. Just great delivery

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

It is a back handed compliment, drake is the bigger star and this whole thing lead up to Kendrick getting a big song with mainstream attention
Drake's fame is one element. That meant this many eyes on it, yes. But all the eyes in the world wouldn't matter if the song wasn't good.

The quality of the track and how it was dropped is the main reason it's a hit.
Ofc, it's a perfect storm. People wouldn't wanna replays song that sounds super angry and hateful all the time. It's a fun song that has all eyes and ears on it from the biggest rap beef in decades.

Like nerds weren't at least bumping "All The Stars" at the height of Black Panther mania, to say nothing of when Boseman passed.
When I said in this thread that rich baby daddy was a huge hit people said it didn't count because sza carried it. Sza carried all the stars but I agree that's a massive Kendrick song that tied him to a huge moment in the culture, this drake beef is just another huge moment.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It is a back handed compliment, drake is the bigger star and this whole thing lead up to Kendrick getting a big song with mainstream attention

Ofc, it's a perfect storm. People wouldn't wanna replays song that sounds super angry and hateful all the time. It's a fun song that has all eyes and ears on it from the biggest rap beef in decades.
Then not sure why you replied to me. The point was simply that the claim Drake was the main reason for the success was bullshit.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
How he calm at first then just got angrier and then the echo on the You lied line was just a brutal assault at the end

It was a masterful delivery. He was calm and empathetic with Drake's son and alleged daughter, he is still respectful as he addresses his parents but doesn't hold back his opinion, but then once Kendrick gets to Drake he lets loose because he doesn't respect Drake at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Drake is the main reason, it's all revolving around Aubrey. Song wouldn't exist without him.
Drake's fame is a portion of it.

Drake having a fragile ego, being a creep, and Kendrick having the talent to write the song and know exactly how to drop it for maximum effect were the main reasons.

Anyway, circles. Keep believing what you do.

Last edited:

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Drake's fame is a portion of it.

Drake being the creep and Kendrick having the talent to write the song and know exactly how to drop it for maximum effect were the main reasons.
Ok, that's what I'm saying. It wasn't just a catchy single that dropped and became #1. It has a whole wiki on just the events leading up to it lol.

The how much and whys are irrelevant because depending on who you back you'll view it differently.
I just refuse the thinking drake isn't a part of it, there is no sole reason it's big.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, that's what I'm saying. It wasn't just a catchy single that dropped and became #1. It has a whole wiki on just the events leading up to it lol.
There's a difference between what we were saying, before. It doesn't matter though. Bet Drake is wishing he wasn't quite so famous in this moment lol.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I had trouble picking between Euphoria and Not Like Us. I ended up picking Euphoria due to how its structured, better lyrics, beat changes and overall different vibes. Now Not Like Us will be listened to more by me, absolutely but overall I don't think it's a "better song" if that makes any sense.

MTG is the one that's third. It's got the best lyrics and the most haunting vibe out of them all. It's the one that hurt Drake the most and it's basically the liver blow before NLU hit em with the uppercut.

Just amazing man. All of these tracks were fire and it's dope how there's different responses regarding which is best from people.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Drake is a rising tide and he lifts all artists that work with him. Even those beefing with him can benefit, as seen by Mustard and Kendrick getting the most worldwide attention and fame they'll likely ever get.

The same Kendrick Lamar who had a sold out Paris show recorded for Amazon and up until this year had the highest grossing rap tour ever?

This Drake stimulus stuff is overblown to a huge degree.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It's meet the grahams for me. It was just brutal. People thought it will be a back and forth, but that track totally knocked out Drake and enabled not like us

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The same Kendrick Lamar who had a sold out Paris show recorded for Amazon and up until this year had the highest grossing rap tour ever?

This Drake stimulus stuff is overblown to a huge degree.

Or just had a whole Africa tour ending earlier this year ("rap like trying to free the slaves" indeed).

There's a deeper conversation on how they view it solely through pure pop fandoms and not critically or through a musical worth standpoint: they would probably argue Drake is twice as popular as Beyonce because his 4,251 songs on streaming are double of hers. Post Malone is more important and bigger tour draw than Radiohead, etc. The Rock is a better actor than Mahershala Ali, lol.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Or just had a whole Africa tour ending earlier this year ("rap like trying to free the slaves" indeed).

There's a deeper conversation on how they view it solely through pure pop fandoms and not critically or through a musical worth standpoint: they would probably argue Drake is twice as popular as Beyonce because his 4,251 songs on streaming are double of hers. Post Malone is more important and bigger tour draw than Radiohead, etc. The Rock is a better actor than Mahershala Ali, lol.

Taylor Swift has outsold David Bowie. Which has a more enduring and impactful legacy?