Votes: 123 20.3%
  • Not Like Us

Votes: 238 39.2%
  • Other

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Drake didn't used to have ghostwriters. I'm guessing it started around the Take Care era when he got Weeknd's help and it only continued from then. I remember prior to that he was talking about his writing process and he was known for his lyrics but afterwards things changed. Now I think he's mostly ghostwriters.

Heart Part 6 tho, I'm guessing that was mostly Drake because it was bad. He said a lot of things that I feel ghostwriters would have caught.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Family Matters isnt even close to Meet the Grahams lol. It was a decent diss but Meet the Grahams is just an all time great hate song.
I agree with this wholeheartedly but I will say family matters is way more listenable. If I see someone driving down blasting meet the grahams imma give them a side eye 😂 that song is basically listening to the devil take someone's soul, is fucking diabloicle and crazy 😂

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kendrick dropping MTG 20 minutes after "Family Values" and making sure Drake's best punch went totally unnoticed is some diabolical genius shit and pretty much wrapped this whole thing up.
That shit was every anime where the person did this huge attack only for the enemy to be standing there unscathed with their own counter attack

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this wholeheartedly but I will say family matters is way more listenable. If I see someone driving down blasting meet the grahams imma give them a side eye 😂 that song is basically listening to the devil take someone's soul, is fucking diabloicle and crazy 😂
The piano from Meet the Grahams is just perfect "final boss is here towoop you" and the song is just so dark and hateful that is hard to call it a diss, it goes just so far beyond. The opening verse would be enough to destroy someone by itself... and it just keeps going.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Listenable since Drake made that for the people. Kdot made MtG for Drake alone.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
oh man when he raises his voice in the last verse and 'you lied' is playing in the background. so good
The ending bar is just the most destructive way to end it as well: "Fuck a rap battle, this a long life battle with yourself"
Hell, Euphoria ending with just a plain "Stop" was also brutal.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I'll push back on the Family Matters love. It's good but often produces cognitive dissonance in a way similar to Heart 6, just not as bluntly or egregiously. He's really rapping, for sure; he basically bagged up Rocky and both of the big Ross bars (literally lol) are great. But it's a 7 minute record that struggles to keep me engaged without getting ejected out of the song by an unserious accusation or argument that just feels desperate. I also wanted to hear a song about Kendrick after he dropped songs exclusively about Drake.
  • Kendrick: "you're an outsider, insecure in your blackness, and someone manipulating this culture" Drake: opens the song with his mom telling him not to say the word, "Always rappin' like you bout to get the slaves freed"
  • Gets at Kendrick for abusing Whitney to crack Kendrick's "messiah" image, then raps about her getting on the floor to shake it for Dave Free. Likewise later tries to chastise Kendrick for abusing Whitney again, but then cracks a joke at her expense near the end of the song. If you want to animate your fanbase to take down your opponent on moral grounds, is that how you play it?
  • Perceived Kendrick's "real women" line as Drake liking white girls, so he says "I fuck em all!"
  • Kendrick: "Fabricating stories because you heard Mr. Morale," Drake: cycles through things Kendrick already revealed or joked about throughout his career, like his father getting robbed by Top and WW Steppers. Some of it lands, some of it feels contrived.
  • Multiple corny gay jokes about Abel and Cash because he can't figure out how else to get at him (y'all have the same audience, so what does it mean if Abel's music is for gay folks? think it through, Drake). This bar in particular was flipped by Kendrick alongside of the slave line to continue to paint Drake as a culture vulture with no actual respect for the regions he plucks from: "Weeknd music gettin' played in all the spots where boys got a little more pride / That's why all your friends dippin' to Atlanta, payin' just to find a tour guide." He's handing this shit to him.
  • Tries to flip ghostwriting accusations with this lol: "K-Dot shit is only hittin' hard when Baby Keem put his pen to it"
  • Kinda hard tbh, but also reveals that he lied about melting P's chains down, which again is more red meat for someone insisting their opponent is a serial liar: "You wanna take up for Pharrell? Then come get his legacy out of my house"" This is even followed by him accusing Kendrick of lying about the C&D.
  • Up until this song they'd been playing off Drake identifying with MJ on FPS. But Drake seemingly foresaw the obvious issue with identifying with Michael when the possibility of being called a predator was on the horizon. So he clumsily tries to switch it around in a moment that felt totally desperate. No one believes that Kendrick wants to be perceived as white, and that idea that MJ wanted to "become white" is a raw issue for some folks because MJ suffered from vitiligo. (I think the way before he folded Blacker the Berry and Gin and Juice before this was pretty clever.)

Shit that is just hilarious looking back on:
  • "They shook about what I'ma say, but textin' your phone like, 'We already won'" — besides the obvious, this was in response to a rumour that Kendrick's camp contacted Drake's party to ask that families be left out of things
  • This was only his second song and he's already trying to bow out. The leaked version of Push Ups also contained a line about dropping and running ("all that heartbroken twitter shit is for lil bitches / I ain't even rapping after this I'm way too busy"). Dude really didn't want to rap.
There's probably a condensed version of this track that removes the repetition and dubious swipes and works better for me, but it's not the 7 minute song we have now which implicitly asks us to draw a comparison to Euphoria, nearly equivalent in length and style but far more seamless and effective.

Last edited:

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
The piano from Meet the Grahams is just perfect "final boss is here towoop you" and the song is just so dark and hateful that is hard to call it a diss, it goes just so far beyond. The opening verse would be enough to destroy someone by itself... and it just keeps going.
For real!!

As soon as I heard "dear Adonis" as I'm sure everyone else did, I paused it and had to breath. Was thinking awww fuck I'm in for some crazy shit on this track. And I was not wrong 😂

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
if i see someone blasting that shit in their car i'm 1000% sure he's on his way to do some planned violence

im getting out the way

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...do you think Drake wrote THP6 himself because he was afraid it would be leaked otherwise?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
that stupid-ass spoken word outro 100% convinces me it was all him. someone would have told him "no".
"I'm not gonna lie, this shit was some, some good exercise, like, it's good to get out, get the pen workin'"

guile-street-fighter-2-continue-losing-screen.jpg

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the chance this music video is just a giant cookout with Kendrick keeping the kids away from a Drake look alike?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Heart Part 6 tho, I'm guessing that was mostly Drake because it was bad. He said a lot of things that I feel ghostwriters would have caught.
"The Epstein angle was the shit I expected" plays in my head for all the wrong reasons when I think of this lol. Even if he did expect it somehow he was unprepared for it apparently

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"The Epstein angle was the shit I expected" plays in my head for all the wrong reasons when I think of this lol. Even if he did expect it somehow he was unprepared for it apparently
Yep, it's why the "I planned it all" angle falls flat on its face. He showed such lack of preparation there is no way he was telling the truth

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get it at all. We all heard that and was like "why?" and it's a dumb strategy. The fact that apparently Kendrick's camp reached out to Drake's and said for them to keep family stuff out of this and Drake still did it and here we are is just, wow.

The Meek beef made him think he could really contend with guys like Dot and Pusha.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
It's way late but it's so cathartic to see the guy from degrassi finally get dismantled

"I'm what the culture feelin'"
tenor.gif

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
"Kendrick just opened his mouth, someone go hand him a Grammy right now" is also funny in retrospect.

From Rolling Stone:
And in the end, if Macklemore was going to start doling out apologies, he should have reached out to more nominees, Drake says. "To name just Kendrick? That shit made me feel funny. No, in that case, you robbed everybody. We all need text messages!"

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
"Kendrick just opened his mouth, someone go hand him a Grammy right now" is also funny in retrospect.

From Rolling Stone:
And in the end, if Macklemore was going to start doling out apologies, he should have reached out to more nominees, Drake says. "To name just Kendrick? That shit made me feel funny. No, in that case, you robbed everybody. We all need text messages!"

This is embarrassing for him.

OP
OP
Mattmo831

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020

From Rolling Stone:
in drakes defense….. literally every album nominated was better than macklemores… but this does come off as being a sore loser

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'll push back on the Family Matters love. It's good but often produces cognitive dissonance in a way similar to Heart 6, just not as bluntly or egregiously. He's really rapping, for sure; he basically bagged up Rocky and both of the big Ross bars (literally lol) are great. But it's a 7 minute record that struggles to keep me engaged without getting ejected out of the song by an unserious accusation or argument that just feels desperate. I also wanted to hear a song about Kendrick after he dropped songs exclusively about Drake.

I'm of the belief that Drake had the skeletal framework of Family Matters written as early as the release of Push Ups, considering we heard a snippet of it after that song and the chess move of MtG existing. Either Drake did not take Kendrick seriously as an opponent, or he just navigated this whole thing sloppily, or both. The continued focus on "20 v 1", the big video roll out, all screams premeditated. Meanwhile Kendrick was nimbly writing and dancing around his every step.

With that in mind, there is zero chance Drake wasn't going to take the low road. Just a bad strategy from the very beginning. I still enjoy the raps on Family Matters though.

OP
OP
Mattmo831

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I'm of the belief that Drake had the skeletal framework of Family Matters written as early as the release of Push Ups, considering we heard a snippet of it after that song and the chess move of MtG existing.
I 100% believe this too cause when push ups first leaked in the monotone flow, the ending beat switch + the following lines which are in family matters were not there

Then Drake sent an updated version to akademiks a couple hours later. Indicating to me family matters… at least that beat and some of the lyrics already existed pre push ups releasing. He had it planned out and thought he was gonna win with family matters

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I'm of the belief that Drake had the skeletal framework of Family Matters written as early as the release of Push Ups, considering we heard a snippet of it after that song and the chess move of MtG existing. Either Drake did not take Kendrick seriously as an opponent, or he just navigated this whole thing sloppily, or both. The continued focus on "20 v 1", the big video roll out, all screams premeditated. Meanwhile Kendrick was nimbly writing and dancing around his every step.

With that in mind, there is zero chance Drake wasn't going to take the low road. Just a bad strategy from the very beginning. I still enjoy the raps on Family Matters though.
I agree. I think he wanted to emulate what happened to him with Story of Adidon and felt certain he had an unmitigatable killshot—that it was taken where he wanted to take it and that was a tremendous misread of his own image and what his opponent was capable of. Also makes the amount of "no you" rapping crammed into Family Matters look worse tbh.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
So I have been hating on Drake since the 2010s and raving about how much I don't respect him as an artist, so I expected to not have all that much music from him. I checked spotify:

- Nice For What
- Look Alive (feature)
- Poetic Justice (feature)

I cackled. I have more songs by Taylor Swift in all my playlists (6:1).

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Game's 100 was mentioned in here earlier and now that songs stuck in my head again. I did listen to that shit heavy when it came out.

Oct 30, 2017
I am so thirsty for more. I fear this might be the end though, at the very least we will get a video for "They Not Like Us" following its success, I can't wait to see what they do in that video.