• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Was greeted with this screen after booting up the game yesterday:

BqEUAKN.jpg

Also up on the game's PlayStation Store page.

Damn shame, I enjoyed this game & thought it had some really clever ideas.

Hopefully, the news will get more people to try it before it's gone.

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Two things.

I hate this game.

Sony is collecting money for their net infrastructure. Shit should not be shutting down. Ever. Especially for 1st party stuff.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it was only a matter of time, but this is essentially why i don't buy online only games unless they get REAL cheap. i don't want a £40 coaster the moment the devs/pubs decide they no longer want to run servers.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
A reminder that online-focused titles as PSPlus offerings don't hold the same value as single-player ones.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I really enjoyed everything about the game other than the fact that this was an online multiplayer only shooter. The tutorial was a bunch of fun, I really wish they'd put some extra work into a singleplayer experience.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I think this game absolutely nailed the look it was going for

But what it was going for wasn't great.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The one or two MP matches I actually attempted to play were a confusing, hardly readable and frustrating mess. I had no fun. So I stopped playing. I bet there was something there to be enjoyed and to dig in, but yeah...

Oct 31, 2017
I thought about this game the other day. I never played this, mainly because I wasn't very into the artstyle, but I've always enjoyed David Jaffe's games. I thought that Twisted Metal PS3 was heartbreaking because the multiplayer was so fun, yet the experience the surrounded the multiplayer wasn't great.

I'd hoped his next project would be a success, but from what I can tell it seems like Drawn to Death was mostly a failure. Kind of a shame even though I didn't play it. I think Jaffe has the potential to lead a great game, multiplayer or single player. It looks like he's mostly gone the way of Cliffy B though, guys from a different era whose sensibilities/tastes/interests just aren't very in line with the mass market for games today.

It was only a matter of time after the developer closed up shop. Sony has been struggling hard with GaaS, though they haven't been doing themselves any favors by backing more experimental games instead of more tried-and-true concepts.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was only a matter of time after the developer closed up shop. Sony has been struggling hard with GaaS, though they haven't been doing themselves any favors by backing more experimental games instead of more tried-and-true concepts.

I mean, they gave the creator of Twisted Metal and God of War free reign to make what he wanted. It just ended up being shit. Hard to blame Sony for that. Shit happens.

OP
OP
Ghost305

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
I thought about this game the other day. I never played this, mainly because I wasn't very into the artstyle, but I've always enjoyed David Jaffe's games. I thought that Twisted Metal PS3 was heartbreaking because the multiplayer was so fun, yet the experience the surrounded the multiplayer wasn't great.

I'd hoped his next project would be a success, but from what I can tell it seems like Drawn to Death was mostly a failure. Kind of a shame even though I didn't play it. I think Jaffe has the potential to lead a great game, multiplayer or single player. It looks like he's mostly gone the way of Cliffy B though, guys from a different era whose sensibilities/tastes/interests just aren't very in line with the mass market for games today.

If you haven't yet tried Drawn to Death but liked TM 2012, I'd highly recommend it.

The two share many of the same design philosophies (and some music tracks).

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are the Plus subs for then if they don't pay for online?

You think they should waste money keeping Drawn to Death online even if it has zero players and was created by a now dead studio? I'd rather them spend that money elsewhere and remove the dead game from the store.

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sadly no one was playing it, it was already hard to find a match near the launch and it became even harder later.

I had fun with it, even got the platinum.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The one or two MP matches I actually attempted to play were a confusing, hardly readable and frustrating mess. I had no fun. So I stopped playing. I bet there was something there to be enjoyed and to dig in, but yeah...
That is the way I felt, the art style got old really fast

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
You think they should waste money keeping Drawn to Death online even if it has zero players and was created by a now dead studio? I'd rather them spend that money elsewhere and remove the dead game from the store.

What are they spending the money on though? I mean I never played it and I don't have a strong opinion either way on the game but the way things are going, if a game isn't a smash hit then just expect the online portion to die within two years. What sort of message does that send people? Right now you couldn't get me to buy an online only game any more.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game was shit. And I'm sure the studio knew it was shit but thought it could get by as the 'little punk engine that could' I believe it could I have had a different outcome with better decision making. The art design was decent, at best. But the gameplay is where they fucked up bad.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game absolutely nailed the look it was going for

But what it was going for wasn't great.

I suppose, when the conceit is it should look like something drawn by a bored teenager - basing a game replicating low effort, disposable art.

That said, looking at games like Mad World, I don't think it executed on the potential of its aesthetic as well as is possible.

Oct 31, 2017
If you haven't yet tried Drawn to Death but liked TM 2012, I'd highly recommend it.

The two share many of the same design philosophies (and some music tracks).

Yeah I can see that, and when they first showed this game off that was the impression that I got from it. That they were making a third person shooter that played similarly to how TM2012 played. I just hated, and still hate, the aesthetic. I liked the look of TM2012 overall, for the most part, but Drawn to Death was just hard on the eyes.

I think if they'd have made a more conventional looking game, or done a style that was less 'busy', the game may have found more success. I know that I personally didn't really want to play it primarily based on how it looked visually. The look of the gameplay itself did seem fun though.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I remembered playing this game and talking to Jaffe about it some E3's ago. The concept and artstyle really looked cool but the gameplay felt flat, the low ammount of players per match didn't help either, and the launch was a shitshow, as you can see by the people here thinking the game was already done.

I really hope Jaffe's next adventure to be better. He's a creative genius on my eyes, deserves all the praise he gets, and hopefully he lands on better development deals in the future.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
This game worser than Lawbreakers don't know what Sony was thinking greenlighting this and still went forward as time went on it still looked like a bad game they trusted David Jaffe too much

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
The art was nice, but the game itself just was generic and boring. When it first came out I played at least 10 hours to see if maybe it got more fun but it never did. Honestly the population back then wasn't even that good, so I can't imagine it got better over time, probably not many matches (if any) going on anymore.

Oct 28, 2017
I stuck my neck out for this game and proclaimed fuck Uncharted 4 when this game closed their show when it debuted. Mistakes were made.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
All 7 people still playing this will be sad.

The art style was so cool, but everything else about it was a cluster. It's funny that something so cool in style could be so fucking generic in every other way.