• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to try some of the things you guys/women come up with. I have it downloaded but will not be diving in until tomorrow due to work.

Enjoy everyone.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed I am "following" less people than during the beta, but that number keeps increasing (even though I haven't followed new Dreamers yet). I am guessing those are beta users that have purchased EA?

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Some interesting stuff being made, I'm tempted by it, but as someone who likes playing creations not making them I assume I'm better off waiting?

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first two sets of tutorials, God damn this game is scary from how much depth there is alone.
Yea it can be daunting at first, especially the later advanced tutorials. I personally find it utterly amazing that they're basically teaching game making 101 in it's entirety almost with the tutorial levels alone. Everything you need to make a basic or advance level/game depending on your ambition is taught to your with them user-friendly tutorials. That in itself is just the biggest accomplishment and MM must to be applauded for it. They've done an amazing job introducing game making 101 and making it user friendly AF!

Well done, MM. You goddamn magical wizards.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If I want to make a collection, is searching by name the only way of adding content to it? Is there no way of "bookmarking" content? Or maybe a way o add a level to a collection right after playing it?

I'm also having this issue. I can make a new collection and add a game to it (via the 'share' button at the top left) but I'm unable to add anything else to that collection. I can hit the share button on another game, select the collection to add it to but then I can't actually add it. I must be missing something - I've seen and enjoyed other users collections.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Some interesting stuff being made, I'm tempted by it, but as someone who likes playing creations not making them I assume I'm better off waiting?

Probably, but it's cheaper now than it will be at full release. Most of the games so far are games where you go "I'm really impressed that they managed to make this" instead of games that actually hook you and make you excited to play them. For the most part they feel like they're on the level of Mario Party minigames.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was already known, but Media Molecule and Sony were looking into another way to make talented people's work profitable for the creators of these projects.

I say just introduce a tip system. If you like a particular creator or their work, allow gamers to tip them. No forced amount or pressure or anything like that, just completely voluntary.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So here's my Dreams idea, in terms of how I want it to function.

http:///2Hrd.png

Sorry, at Work so had to make something simple.

So before moving onto a actual game I want to make a test with this format.

To explain, I want to do Turn-based battles, ala Final Fantasy. However my idea isn't to host those battles in the Level 1 or Level 2 scenes. But rather when you encounter a random battle you move to Battle Scene. It reads the variables given and using those variables spawns specific enemies.

So more complexity also comes into is if the game can understand what Scene to send you back to from Battle Scene and if it can remember the location of the player character.

Still working on my generic models so I haven't gotten to this point yet but I'd love if someone could poke holes in what is or isn't possible.

Oct 25, 2017
I've an idea in mind, but I was just wondering about water. Is it easily doable and used when making a game/level? My level would involve water at least somewhat.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I've an idea in mind, but I was just wondering about water. Is it easily doable and used when making a game/level? My level would involve water at least somewhat.
Water is a cakewalk after doing the art tutorials. Really easy tools to make any type of water/stream with different flows & style.
Do the art tutorials.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Oct 25, 2017
It's my understanding there are certain tricks you have to do to get water
Water is a cakewalk after doing the art tutorials. Really easy tools to make any type of water/stream with different flows & style.
Do the art tutorials.
Look up Captain Shadow, it has the best water I've seen so far.
Thanks everyone! I'll do the art tutorials next when I get home, and look up Captain Shadow too. Just brainstorming here at work lol

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm really just interested in crafting short stories through still scenes (think of it like 3D comic panels). I'm going to start one this weekend and see how it goes. I have a really fun idea I want to try, so we'll see how good I am at modeling!

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
So here's my Dreams idea, in terms of how I want it to function.

http:///2Hrd.png

Sorry, at Work so had to make something simple.

So before moving onto a actual game I want to make a test with this format.

To explain, I want to do Turn-based battles, ala Final Fantasy. However my idea isn't to host those battles in the Level 1 or Level 2 scenes. But rather when you encounter a random battle you move to Battle Scene. It reads the variables given and using those variables spawns specific enemies.

So more complexity also comes into is if the game can understand what Scene to send you back to from Battle Scene and if it can remember the location of the player character.

Still working on my generic models so I haven't gotten to this point yet but I'd love if someone could poke holes in what is or isn't possible.
Yeah that seems doable. You'd have to have some global variables that are persistent between scenes, set them up in Level1 or Level2, then exit to the Battle Scene where they are read. I did a kind of similar thing in Battle Tops, where the state of the game persisted between scenes.

I recommend saving an object that is variables that will need to be in each of the scenes, and then importing that object to each of the scenes. That way, any time you need to update what variables you're passing between levels, you can just load each of the scenes and auto-import that object, without having to manually create the variables in each of the scenes. In Battle Tops I had a "Battle Tops Level Template". I would always start a new level by importing that object, which contained the kill volume, camera, music settings, and global variables. It is still kind of a pain to go through each of the scenes to auto-import and then save out again (the more scenes you have, the more annoying this becomes). I kind of wish there was a more automated way to do that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that seems doable. You'd have to have some global variables that are persistent between scenes, set them up in Level1 or Level2, then exit to the Battle Scene where they are read. I did a kind of similar thing in Battle Tops, where the state of the game persisted between scenes.

I recommend saving an object that is variables that will need to be in each of the scenes, and then importing that object to each of the scenes. That way, any time you need to update what variables you're passing between levels, you can just load each of the scenes and auto-import that object, without having to manually create the variables in each of the scenes. In Battle Tops I had a "Battle Tops Level Template". I would always start a new level by importing that object, which contained the kill volume, camera, music settings, and global variables. It is still kind of a pain to go through each of the scenes to auto-import and then save out again (the more scenes you have, the more annoying this becomes). I kind of wish there was a more automated way to do that.

So essentially have an object say: "Object Variable Hold" and this object has stored in it all of the global variables. It will exist in every Scene. Now when you say: "auto-import that object" do you mean that in the editor that object will exist already within that level or do you specifically load that object upon level start? (Basically does the object already exist or when entering the level does it trigger an event to then spawn that object)

You know, funny thing is that in many ways this is stuff I've done in Game Maker, but it feels like I'm learning it all again in Dreams.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I just played the first tutorial about camera movement using the move controllers and something feels very off to me. I feel like I'm playing videogames for the first time. It took me ages to simply orient my camera so that the object I'm looking at is center of the screen. If I can't even move the camera efficiently, I am absolutely screwed for anything later! Is this something that you just get used to? I honestly feel like I'm a 4-year-old trying to use an analog stick for camera control for the first time. My wrists are being twisted and turned in weird angles..I'm pointing the move controllers in weird directions...it does not feel intuitive. I think I'll have to just play with it a lot and get used to it.

Am I alone in this feeling?

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So essentially have an object say: "Object Variable Hold" and this object has stored in it all of the global variables. It will exist in every Scene. Now when you say: "auto-import that object" do you mean that in the editor that object will exist already within that level or do you specifically load that object upon level start? (Basically does the object already exist or when entering the level does it trigger an event to then spawn that object)

You know, funny thing is that in many ways this is stuff I've done in Game Maker, but it feels like I'm learning it all again in Dreams.

Then try it in Unity or Unreal for a bigger challenge

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I just played the first tutorial about camera movement using the move controllers and something feels very off to me. I feel like I'm playing videogames for the first time. It took me ages to simply orient my camera so that the object I'm looking at is center of the screen. If I can't even move the camera efficiently, I am absolutely screwed for anything later! Is this something that you just get used to? I honestly feel like I'm a 4-year-old trying to use an analog stick for camera control for the first time. My wrists are being twisted and turned in weird angles..I'm pointing the move controllers in weird directions...it does not feel intuitive. I think I'll have to just play with it a lot and get used to it.

no. when i first used the move i felt the same way. it felt different but it makes sense when you keep using it and it just falls into place.

its also the same way when i tried using the DS4 after i grew accustom to the move.

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017

https://indreams.me/guide/palette-glossary/assembly/modes/update-mode
When you go into your level, this icon will be highlighted saying there's an update. You can manually import it, or you can specify to auto-import. But you have to load the level for it to import. So yeah, if your RPG has 30 scenes, updating the UI that's shared between each scene (for example) to all of the scenes would require you to load into each scene and then save again.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
https://indreams.me/guide/palette-glossary/assembly/modes/update-mode
When you go into your level, this icon will be highlighted saying there's an update. You can manually import it, or you can specify to auto-import. But you have to load the level for it to import. So yeah, if your RPG has 30 scenes, updating the UI that's shared between each scene (for example) to all of the scenes would require you to load into each scene and then save again.

Oh I see. Thank you for your help. :)

Then try it in Unity or Unreal for a bigger challenge

Eventually.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are the Move controllers the more preferred method, or the DS4? I dabbled with the tutorial using the DS4, but want to try the Move tutorials as well.. Ugh.. gotta wait till tomorrow evening to really dive in.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Has MM mentioned whether Trophies would be retroactive when the game fully releases? Not a big deal, just curious.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
you know in mario you get those buttons you stomp on that turn on red coins but you have to grab them in 5 seconds? Thats what the timer is doing - hit the button and its 'on' for a time limit.

The alternative would be the same as those puzzles where you stand on a button and a door opens - but when you step off the door closes (so you have to go find a block to put on the button to keep the door open). Button is only 'on' while you are standing on it

ha i get that :p It's the counter i don't get. I can get it but i mean.. I'll never get it to a point where can say "hey i need that for my game and it's not exactly the same as in the exemple, and i know what tu use to do it"

Now i guess you can still have fun with level design in Dreams, with almost no logic.
But man.. I played with it again and fuuu, everything is a struggle. The Dualshock 4 tracking, the ui, the mess that this is. I mean this is so huge.
I don't even think i'll have fun with art cause i mean drawing shapes in a 3d space with a dualshock is just a pain in the ass.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I had figured that I wouldn't be putting in the time to make a game. And I probably still won't, but just sculpting static objects with the moves is hella fun. I could do that for hours and hours.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't fired up Dreams EA yet but what you are describing sounds no different than what most people experience the first time they try 3D creation software.

It becomes second nature very quickly to a lot of people but that also depends on how good you are at spatial visualisation.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which is bizzare since my stone cutter house features that bike so it had to be published

I assume it means that they haven't gotten EA yet right?

So as not to have a load of unfinished work laying around from the Beta, MM probably unpublished everything until the user logged in again. I'm guessing they let anyone who is using unpublished assets keep them so as not to break other people's levels in the process.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into audio stuff. The tools seem fantastic.

Some stuff is a little tricky. The audio tutorials don't tell you how to do everything so I had to go on youtube to figure it out. Just remember that you can replace sounds by dragging another one onto the one you want to change.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I say just introduce a tip system. If you like a particular creator or their work, allow gamers to tip them. No forced amount or pressure or anything like that, just completely voluntary.
Ok. I understand but what I meant is that there were talks about having the more complete games or animations available for sale in a special Dreams section. Although, they said the logistics needed a lot of work to make it work.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
OK just went hunting and got a pre owned ps4 camera and 2 move controllers, let's go baby

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I assume it means that they haven't gotten EA yet right?

So as not to have a load of unfinished work laying around from the Beta, MM probably unpublished everything until the user logged in again. I'm guessing they let anyone who is using unpublished assets keep them so as not to break other people's levels in the process.

I bet that's it. I was looking at a Tatooine recreation, and it credited a lightsaber to another user, but my search results for that user yielded nothing. This theory makes the most sense.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not a fan of the tone of this VO. Sounds so condescending, it's really pissing me off.

Edit: Wtf it gets worse. Who's the writing aimed at? Young children with learning impairments? I need to turn it off.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I'm really not a fan of the tone of this VO. Sounds so condescending, it's really pissing me off.

Edit: Wtf it gets worse. Who's the writing aimed at? Young children with learning impairments? I need to turn it off.

In french it's absolutely terrible. The whole tone..
i've been saying it for years but MM has to stop thinking they can sell their games to grandma and little boys. This thing is insanely big and complex, and not that user friendly. Amazing things will be done with it, but nobody other than skilled artists and devs will be able or try to.

Embrace it MM, don't act all cute and mainstream..

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the same way but bought it anyway since I wanted the discount. I'm already enjoying all the early creations and it's just gonna get better.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
In french it's absolutely terrible. The whole tone..
i've been saying it for years but MM has to stop thinking they can sell their games to grandma and little boys. This thing is insanely big and complex, and not that user friendly. Amazing things will be done with it, but nobody other than skilled artists and devs will be able or try to.

Embrace it MM, don't act all cute and mainstream..

I dont necessarily agree with all that. Game editor offers a wide array of expression, and people having the skills will also need time. Actually the whole « art » side of things is only but a fraction of the overall execution. I am dead certain that a lot of artsy people will also drop it simply because... art skill is just not enough. Commitment, follow through and delivery organization are the most required skills here, and these traits are not found so easily among artists.

Likely the fact you can reuse other peoples assets will help the non-artsy but serious people into actually delivering things... probably earlier than standalone artists who want to do things on their side.

Mark my word, just being skilled in one art domain is certainly NOT a criteria for success, and im dead certain Dreams will be a blatant proof of that.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
looks like we'll be in for a treat. he did Book of dragon and the teaser of this.

D00s7p1WkAExjbq

also i have find out who was doing that child like one. i think it involved a square shaped boy a toy room.

Status
Not open for further replies.