• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In french it's absolutely terrible. The whole tone..
i've been saying it for years but MM has to stop thinking they can sell their games to grandma and little boys. This thing is insanely big and complex, and not that user friendly. Amazing things will be done with it, but nobody other than skilled artists and devs will be able or try to.

Embrace it MM, don't act all cute and mainstream..

From an accessibility perspective from the small amount I have seen so far it's far more accessible than professional software.

But the tone, it feels way off with the kind of content. The tone the staff at MM have when talking about the product is perfect, that's what I expected going from the streams but really made me question who the target audience is with Dreams because things like In The Night Garden feel more mature.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
looks like we'll be in for a treat. he did Book of dragon and the teaser of this.

D00s7p1WkAExjbq

also i have find out who was doing that child like one. i think it involved a square shaped boy a toy room.

I still have no idea how he built Book of the Dragon. I would kill for a video walkthrough of its creation process

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
i've been saying it for years but MM has to stop thinking they can sell their games to grandma and little boys. This thing is insanely big and complex, and not that user friendly. Amazing things will be done with it, but nobody other than skilled artists and devs will be able or try to.

I have to agree with this. It's not quite as bad as LBP's groan-inducing over the top Britishness, but the Dream Queen stuff still seems childish and at odds with the type of audience that is actually going to take the time to dig into this toolset.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Its insane what one night of sleep does, I went from fumbling around with the moves on day one to being a pro and it feels like second nature. I am not much of an artist but I can see myself putting hours in the sculpting alone. I wan't to end up doing animation so I have to get on that as well. I think I am going to watch a lot of the streams with Kareem sculpting.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of sculpting is there any way to change a shape from positive to negative post creation e.g. if I have a positive and negative sphere intersecting change I change the negative one to positive or vice versa? It reminds me of booleans in 3ds, though obviously less powerful.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the sorting tools were better. It's be nice to search by 'most liked within the last 24 hours' or 'within the last week' or whatever. I don't know how I'm ever going to naturally find new things without just searching for random terms. Is there a better way than just scrolling through everything?

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My crazy ass wrong theory:

Dreams will release as included software on PS5, and it is handled like a 1st Party Roblox type platform.

But that would be cool.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the sorting tools were better. It's be nice to search by 'most liked within the last 24 hours' or 'within the last week' or whatever. I don't know how I'm ever going to naturally find new things without just searching for random terms. Is there a better way than just scrolling through everything?
Following curators in the beta was the best way as your average user to keep up with all the new stuff that was also above a certain quality threshold. Olit123 was one of the better curators.

FSmallhands

Nov 3, 2017
Its insane what one night of sleep does, I went from fumbling around with the moves on day one to being a pro and it feels like second nature. I am not much of an artist but I can see myself putting hours in the sculpting alone. I wan't to end up doing animation so I have to get on that as well. I think I am going to watch a lot of the streams with Kareem sculpting.

You dont have to become a pro overnight at this kinda stuff. Thats a one way ticket to throwing in the towel once you hit a wall of creativity or just plateau.

Any craft is about incremental gains. I have been illustrating for 30 years. I learn something new every day. Wanting to be an instant expert will only lead to failure, trust me.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
also no need to rush trying to learn the tools. Its not going anywhere unless your ps4 is shorted because of a storm

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, simple question time: I want to activate this object by having the user press a button while the puppet is nearby. I've got a proximity sensor and a controller sensor feeding an AND gate feeding a timeline animation. Any idea why this doesn't work?

D4dHJASXkAAF0TP.jpg:large

EDIT: I figured it out, the controller has to be set to "remote controllable"

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Following curators in the beta was the best way as your average user to keep up with all the new stuff that was also above a certain quality threshold. Olit123 was one of the better curators.

I'm following him! That was a great tip.

I dunno, I just feel like part of the charm of something like Dreams is discovering stuff for yourself from this huge tapestry. Just having to wait for Olit123 to upload his latest collection doesn't strike me as quite so magical.

Hoping they add some better searching/sorting tools at some point during EA.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Reminder that we have a small but growing Discord Community willing to help, share tips and such for anyone who's looking for people to talk to about Dreams, ask for help, suggest videos etc! DM me friends for an inv!

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
You dont have to become a pro overnight at this kinda stuff. Thats a one way ticket to throwing in the towel once you hit a wall of creativity or just plateau.

Any craft is about incremental gains. I have been illustrating for 30 years. I learn something new every day. Wanting to be an instant expert will only lead to failure, trust me.
I'm just talking about the movement with the moves, the first night felt wierd and semi-intuitive and this morning I was moving around my sculpture and using the menu's with ease. But yes I figure I will have to practice in order to make anything worthwhile but this is one of the first things that has made me want to "do art". My first sculpt was trash but the fact that I could make a 3d model of something I saw in front of me is very inspiring .

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm following him! That was a great tip.

I dunno, I just feel like part of the charm of something like Dreams is discovering stuff for yourself from this huge tapestry. Just having to wait for Olit123 to upload his latest collection doesn't strike me as quite so magical.

Hoping they add some better searching/sorting tools at some point during EA.
It's so weird that the regular surfing through the Dreamiverse is a single horizontal row when they allow huge collections to exist like that. I don't know why they don't use that grid format for their regular browsing. Makes very little sense.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Most recent is basically your best bet right now, but you have to sift through a lot of stuff which isn't actually new (it seems to often have old updated content high up) and, of course often, isn't particularly great. Like you I'm quite disappointed in the Dream Surfing sorting right now. Recommended, most liked and Auto Surf are all effectively the same set of content, most of which was put together in the first bit of the beta. A lot of that content is now entrenched there because it continually gets the most plays and most likes. Breaking through right now is, I suspect, very challenging. I feel quite fortunate that the one dream I did make, Comet Grab, got featured on an MM stream and came third on a game jam, because otherwise I doubt anyone would ever find it today.

I always kind of assumed the game would have a kind of 'heat' sorting system, like you get with Reddit, where there's a complex set of heuristics which constantly pushes up novel and high quality content. I don't know if MM have talked much about what the idea of auto surf is, but it seems to basically just serve up the top thirty recommended games, which seems completely pointless because... I've played all of them.

One of the main areas which needs improvement going forward in my opinion.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Been working through the tutorials and my biggest issue so far is painting or even placing things in regards to depth. I'll be painting and it'll be way in front of where I meant it to be.

Would this be easier with Move controllers/camera?

Having a blast otherwise, it's incredible

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, simple question time: I want to activate this object by having the user press a button while the puppet is nearby. I've got a proximity sensor and a controller sensor feeding an AND gate feeding a timeline animation. Any idea why this doesn't work?

D4dHJASXkAAF0TP.jpg:large

What do you have in the timeline? At the moment it'll just trigger the activation of the timeline so stuff within that will be activated in time.

If it's just a simple on / off, then connect it to a counter that turns on when activated once, and then use a not gate connected to the reset to turn it off whenever the conditions aren't met.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ha i get that :p It's the counter i don't get. I can get it but i mean.. I'll never get it to a point where can say "hey i need that for my game and it's not exactly the same as in the exemple, and i know what tu use to do it"

Now i guess you can still have fun with level design in Dreams, with almost no logic.
But man.. I played with it again and fuuu, everything is a struggle. The Dualshock 4 tracking, the ui, the mess that this is. I mean this is so huge.
I don't even think i'll have fun with art cause i mean drawing shapes in a 3d space with a dualshock is just a pain in the ass.

If you're not a logic person you're not a logic person. That's fine

You can try remixing someone's level that already has logic similar to what you need, or collaborate with someone. I can understand it might be frustrating if you find it difficult to do all aspects of creating something.

I'd love to have 1% of the artistic ability you have For example :)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm watching that Easy Allies stream from yesterday and that Slice of Life RPG Alpha was really cool!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Mm just spent four days last week doing workshops with 9-14 year old girls making things in dreams. Only one-day workshops so basic stuff but children will get this perfectly fine.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something or is there no easy way to do a boolean/binary state tracker? I have two keyframes and I want either one or the other to activate based on the most recent result of a button press (i.e Square once turns on, Square again turns off). I've been playing around with Counters and the Switch object, but none of them seem to do what I want them to

Also am I crazy or does the NOT gate not invert a no signal input into a positive signal output?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An addition that may work better for people is the option to choose what axis are inverted with the moves for camera controls. I personally like a mix,

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So what's the consensus on controls? I'm really tempted by the move controls but they're like £80...

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something or is there no easy way to do a boolean/binary state tracker? I have two keyframes and I want either one or the other to activate based on the most recent result of a button press (i.e Square once turns on, Square again turns off). I've been playing around with Counters and the Switch object, but none of them seem to do what I want them to
hard to say without seeing your logic, but an XOR gate should be a simple way to do this if you just want to flip between two states.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool

Also am I crazy or does the NOT gate not invert a no signal input into a positive signal output?
hard to say without seeing your logic, but an XOR gate should be a simple way to do this if you just want to flip between two states.

Also, a selector is ideal for logic when you only want a single state to activate.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the consensus on controls? I'm really tempted by the move controls but they're like £80...

I wish there was a poll. I still don't know if I should push through and learn the move controls or if I should just stick with the dualshock. Editing audio on the dualshock is fine but it should be worse for sculpting and maybe other things. No one seems to know.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a poll. I still don't know if I should push through and learn the move controls or if I should just stick with the dualshock. Editing audio on the dualshock is fine but it should be worse for sculpting and maybe other things. No one seems to know.

I think both are totally viable. Some things might be easier on one or the other but really either should be good depending on your preference.

MM were talking on their stream about how one of the designers strictly tried to only ever use the DualShock so that they were sure that everything was perfectly usable with that control method.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Selector makes sense. How would an XOR gate work in this circumstance? I'm pretty sure a selector is what I need but I'm curious
TBH, XOR is only useful in very specific circumstances where you have two inputs which need to be disabled when both are active.

Without seeing your setup I can't give precise advice, but I'd set up the selector with 2 outputs and connect them to two counters (which count to 1). Eg: selector output 1 --> counter 1, selector output 2 --> counter 2. Also, take the same 2 outputs from the selector and connect them to the reset input on the opposite counter. Each counter output can then be connected to an animation keyframe timeline, which should be set to play once.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor Olit123, he doesn't want to be "the curator guy" lol (he shouldn't have done it so well during the beta)

Oct 27, 2017
All I've done do far is played through the intro, but it's wonderful and thoroughly charming as one would expect from Mm. I'm not going to try creating anything yet, but play a bunch of other levels and things people have created.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I just played the first tutorial about camera movement using the move controllers and something feels very off to me. I feel like I'm playing videogames for the first time. It took me ages to simply orient my camera so that the object I'm looking at is center of the screen. If I can't even move the camera efficiently, I am absolutely screwed for anything later! Is this something that you just get used to? I honestly feel like I'm a 4-year-old trying to use an analog stick for camera control for the first time. My wrists are being twisted and turned in weird angles..I'm pointing the move controllers in weird directions...it does not feel intuitive. I think I'll have to just play with it a lot and get used to it.

Am I alone in this feeling?

No you aren't alone. When I first tried the move controllers in the beta I felt the same way. The whole scene ended up upside down, I could barely manipulate anything. I could feel my brain straining and it was quite frustrating.

But weirdly, after I had a sleep and came back it was much more understandable.

The way to think of the move controllers is as if you are holding tongs, or wrenches. You are gripping an object, or the whole world at the tip of it and moving/twisting/sliding it that way. Often you just move the object a little bit, let go, grab the object from a different part and move it again. Don't try to do big twists in one go. If you want to spin an object around, you ratchet it around - grab twist, grab twist, grab twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.