• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Aecert is making a procedurally generated dungeon crawler: https://www.twitch.tv/aecert He made the Zombie MMHQ game, which EA bug fixes kind of broke and I don't think he's going to be fixing it since he's moving on to something new. He was also the highest level Imp in the beta.

It's not a Dream so you will only find it searching under Dream Shaping (and not Dream Surfing). He does show up for me under "Captain Shadow" text search there.
is it break for him yet or he doing it during school time.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tha hammers game is so much fun. I played one that reminds me of The Little Prince. My god these dreamers are so so creative.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't got around to the animation tutorials yet as I have just been faffing with sculpt, but is there a way to animate elements within a sculpture? Being able to animate individual stamp elements that have a slight blend would give me the exact effect I want. I had a quick look but I couldn't see anything.

Also is there a way to stop the opacity on elements that are further away to not see the standard skybox through assets? or is that just bumping up against the draw distance limits.

Last edited:

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Looks amazing. Would be interesting, to see a night scenery of this (with campfire and whatever you can see in the night on a beach).

Here it is, made a night version. Added and changed a few things so it would give it the feeling that time has actually changed haha.

peace_43ekz9.png

remixofpeaceqdkg5.png

Jul 20, 2018
Aecert is making a procedurally generated dungeon crawler: https://www.twitch.tv/aecert He made the Zombie MMHQ game, which EA bug fixes kind of broke and I don't think he's going to be fixing it since he's moving on to something new. He was also the highest level Imp in the beta.

It's not a Dream so you will only find it searching under Dream Shaping (and not Dream Surfing). He does show up for me under "Captain Shadow" text search there.
Yeah, totally understand. It's not real clear. I just go to Dream Shaping for everything because Dreams show up there too. Dreams' icon is a widescreen thumbnail, scenes are circles, hexagons are elements.

Oh wow this is super helpful too. Thanks!

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
how in the world do i change the name of something ive made before i release it?

edit: nevermind im stupid...

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do you need two moves for this game. Thinking about grabbing one

I gave up on Dreams for now, because I just wasn't able to precisely sculpt (at least not without some frustration) with just the ds4. I was talking in this thread to a couple of others about it earlier and they had the same problems. Unfortunately 2 move controllers and the PS4 camera are a lot of money additionally. That's why I am still pondering if it is really worth it.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah? Does that mean you can't do something like add character blinks or the like? I feel like I saw Cuthbert changing expressions, but I may be misremembering. Or is it that those behaviors are handled differently than with animations?

You can make characters blink. One method is to have another sculpt for their eyelid and then enable and disable its visibility. If you want to animate it, I think the eyelid would have to be a separate sculpt. I know Captain Shadow has lots of eye movement and blinking and expressive eyes but the head sculpt does not appear to change. I'm sorry, I don't know what Cuthbert is.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyone here whose comfortable enough with puppets that if I shared my puppet they could explain why it's not animating?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to quickly see a creator's other published works? I found the timeline, but it is usually filled with their entire activity and comment stream ...

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Any ideas why when I add music to my scene the volume of other triggered sound effects seems to go down? Anyone else experienced this?

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
They still haven't fixed the heavy left drift on the DS4. It's quite frustrating tbh. Kind of a fundamental problem with the otherwise good controls.

Jul 20, 2018
You can make characters blink. One method is to have another sculpt for their eyelid and then enable and disable its visibility. If you want to animate it, I think the eyelid would have to be a separate sculpt. I know Captain Shadow has lots of eye movement and blinking and expressive eyes but the head sculpt does not appear to change. I'm sorry, I don't know what Cuthbert is.

Cuthbert is Connie's friend you have to save in the creation tutorials. I believe his head is an Imp which is, at least in part, how his expressions work.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched an old Game Informer video that showed a platforming game featuring a teddy bear with a electric guitar. It looked awesome. Is that in the final game?

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping someone can help me with something. I have actions assigned to different buttons, but I need to make it so that if you try to press multiple buttons at the same time, either nothing happens or only one of the actions happens. I've tried a selector but it only seems to send signals in the order in which the inputs are wired. Like you're going down a list of button presses and if you do it out of order, nothing happens.

I also tried an exclusive gate, but after I hit each button once, that button stops working.

Any ideas?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I finally tried the game using the Move controllers, and I think I liked it more that way. I found myself moving and rotating objects easier.

I just watched an old Game Informer video that showed a platforming game featuring a teddy bear with a electric guitar. It looked awesome. Is that in the final game?

No idea the final game won't release until later in the year. I imagine that bear is part of the Campaign, which isn't available yet

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So 3 days in and I'm still complete rubbish, but I definitively notice myself getting more comfortable with the tools and my output improving. Despite the fact that it takes me over an hour to create a bad looking tree and another hour for an incomplete torii, I am having a ton of fun learning the tools and seeing my creations take shape.

38tsFs5.jpg

growler

Oct 26, 2017
I gave up on Dreams for now, because I just wasn't able to precisely sculpt (at least not without some frustration) with just the ds4. I was talking in this thread to a couple of others about it earlier and they had the same problems. Unfortunately 2 move controllers and the PS4 camera are a lot of money additionally. That's why I am still pondering if it is really worth it.
In my experience the move controllers have not been working well with Dreams. Very jittery and janky, they need work.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I tried it out for a day and feel pretty much the same, not a fan of motion controls in general, just don't have nearly the same level of control as analogue sticks or a mouse for instance, move controllers would be much better than the DS4 I'm sure, but like you said it's having to buy additional stuff, will stick to checking out other creations though, there's so much cool stuff out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
What is your imp speed set at?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Hmm I remember the speculation that this could be a bit of a wildcard for Twitch so I'm curious no way it can't be that ba-

*Goes and checks*

Uh yeah you're right. What happened here?
Roblox nor minecraft do well on twitch nor will dreams. Watching someone create things for hours isn't really engrossing compared to watching a pvp game.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm making some progress on my first game and I love it!

I'm still into gameplay tests and getting the first logic setups and level layout in there. I want to make sure I can make this thing before I start making the art for it, but I'm getting more and more confident that I can pull it off! Starting to record some clips as well for the 'making of' ;)

Without giving away too much; it will be a 2 player couch co-op game, based more on tactics then on skill.

I'm kind of struggling with the physics, though. At first I did not want it to use any physics at all, but it's hard to work around it, because if your object is not moveable then it won't collide with other objects as well (clipping through walls). But because everything is 'force' based (rotation, momentum) you get your elements to 'wiggle' a bit when they are moved around. (and even vibrate when just standing still)
I set the dampening to max and the weight of the object as well, but it still wants to topple over when turning.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to send a signal to several sculptures that are grouped together? I tried selecting all of the sculptures and then put a wire from the signal origin to the property I wanted to change, but only the actual piece I opened the menu of seemed to be affected

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to make moving eyes?

I've almost finished my first head/face sculpt, and I'm really satisfied with it, but I want to be sure that the eyes will be able to move, before I stamp them in.

Stamp the eyes as a new separate sculpture, and then either animate them with key frames on a timeline, or the motion recorder.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Is it correct that for music creation you can't enter notes via a simple Piano Roll system? But that you can record a piece of music and edit that via piano roll? Asking for my 12 yr old son who's really into music creation at the moment and neither of us can find a way to do it.

Thanks.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Stamp the eyes as a new separate sculpture, and then either animate them with key frames on a timeline, or the motion recorder.

So, as an accessory? Like I would stamp a hat on the head ? It would be part of the group but not the sculpture, then.

EDIT: The eye-lids look a bit puffy, but for a first time, I'm quite satisfied :)

Last edited:

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Is it correct that for music creation you can't enter notes via a simple Piano Roll system? But that you can record a piece of music and edit that via piano roll? Asking for my 12 yr old son who's really into music creation at the moment and neither of us can find a way to do it.

Thanks.

You can. The piano roll option is located at the top right of the canvas. You have to grab the draw note tool from the menu to place notes or just copy and paste like you would with any other thing in dreams.

Jun 26, 2018
It's not really a twitch/streaming game (although you could do some amazing fan interactions in it) but it's defintely not something for the mainstream streamers.

Similar to LBP, Dreams is going to pop up every now and then when someone in the community creates something awesome (and it will then be shat on by weirdo elitists for not being quite AAA quality)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I remember the speculation that this could be a bit of a wildcard for Twitch so I'm curious no way it can't be that ba-

*Goes and checks*

Uh yeah you're right. What happened here?

Yeah I was always a bit sceptical about the claim that Dreams would be massive on Twitch. Watching people sculpt and make logic is kinda boring. There doesn't appear to be a great audience for it. I think the audience for watching Dreams Let's Play compilations (or user created content) on YouTube will be the thing to watch.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a neater way to manage emitters and overlapping objects - eg you have a bunch of 'frames' you want to turn on/off to simulate animation. The UI gets super messy. And with emitted objects it's easy to lose the original reference

Not sure it's simple to solve but perhaps for overlapping objects being able to have relative positioning - eg I put them where I want them to appear but can then move them out of the way but they keep the original location info. So you can more easily wire things up to them and arrange things neatly

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a neater way to manage emitters and overlapping objects - eg you have a bunch of 'frames' you want to turn on/off to simulate animation. The UI gets super messy. And with emitted objects it's easy to lose the original reference

Not sure it's simple to solve but perhaps for overlapping objects being able to have relative positioning - eg I put them where I want them to appear but can then move them out of the way but they keep the original location info. So you can more easily wire things up to them and arrange things neatly

Use a microchip?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Roblox nor minecraft do well on twitch nor will dreams. Watching someone create things for hours isn't really engrossing compared to watching a pvp game.
It takes a really long time to build an audience around content creation, rather than around playing someone else's content.

For example, there are not that many large art streams on Twitch, despite Twitch actively encouraging artists for a long time, and most of the popular ones are anime girl artists. :/
Reality happened. Dreams will be niche as hell.
Yeah I was always a bit sceptical about the claim that Dreams would be massive on Twitch. Watching people sculpt and make logic is kinda boring. There doesn't appear to be a great audience for it. I think the audience for watching Dreams Let's Play compilations (or user created content) on YouTube will be the thing to watch.

I see. Thanks for the answers, and sorry in advance of this multi quotes lol.

Yeah I've not tinkered with the creating yet so I don't know how fun it is either from a perspective of the creator or the viewers. I've done the tutorial along with several of the more popular games and it is growing on me despite my lack of creativity. I hope more people give the game a chance, maybe in the full release who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.