• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the stretch tool is quite inefficient, it would be nice if there was a shortcut for it on the move tool, I much prefer it to the tap Moves together to resize as it is more precise and similar to Sketch Up but it's also quite cumbersome. Being able to very quickly switch between move and stretch without a menu would be great.

Actually scratch that the shortcut would be great on all sculpt biased tools.

Last edited:

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
I think the stretch tool is quite inefficient, it would be nice if there was a shortcut for it on the move tool, I much prefer it to the tap Moves together to resize as it is more precise and similar to Sketch Up but it's also quite cumbersome. Being able to very quickly switch between move and stretch without a menu would be great.

I'm not a fan of the resize tool when tapping two moves together, I find it a bit inaccurate. I'd love the ability to remap those tapping functions. The colour wheel tool seems like a waste being one of them. I'd like the stretch tool to be on there.

i dont have move controllers, is it worth getting one for this game? (didnt play the early access yet)

You'd need two, and I don't think it's worth it for just this game alone unless you plan on doing a lot of creating.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
You can. The piano roll option is located at the top right of the canvas. You have to grab the draw note tool from the menu to place notes or just copy and paste like you would with any other thing in dreams.

Thanks for this. Turns out he knew how to find the piano roll but was unaware of the draw note feature, so we'll give it a whirl this evening.

Oct 27, 2017
that Captain Shadow demo has like... pretty perfect movement so far. feels like playing mario 64
If anyone is looking for a lot of cool and impressive playable stuff the dreamer RaYRoD--TV has 3 collections with a wide variety of cool shit (favourites 1 & 2 have a lot more than 3)
Just played Marbelous and Porto. Holy fuck. Those were really amazing (dunno if the level design is an original creation or "just copied", but both games are great).

Just quoting you guys so I know to look these games up later.

Have the people who voted DS4 in the poll also tried the Moves, or is it more of a which do you use poll?

I haven't voted yet because I haven't tried the Moves. Doesn't seem right to vote DS4 when it's the only one I've got so it's hardly a preference.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Thanks for this. Turns out he knew how to find the piano roll but was unaware of the draw note feature, so we'll give it a whirl this evening.

I swear i tried for 10 minutes to find how to put a note on that piano roll before giving up. Maaan this game sometimes! It's the dark souls of interface.

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to add some more filters for searching. Top Rated of the past 24hrs/week/month should be a must have. At the moment the only filter that delivers any new content is most recent, and you have to scroll through a lot of less good stuff.. to find anything decent.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'm hoping someone can help me with something. I have actions assigned to different buttons, but I need to make it so that if you try to press multiple buttons at the same time, either nothing happens or only one of the actions happens. I've tried a selector but it only seems to send signals in the order in which the inputs are wired. Like you're going down a list of button presses and if you do it out of order, nothing happens.

I also tried an exclusive gate, but after I hit each button once, that button stops working.

Any ideas?
AND gates are your friend here. You'll need to set up multiple with the exact combinations of buttons that you want to prevent an action. What I would then do is connect each of them to a NOT gate which then connects to the power port for a 'node'. The nodes should be setup between each action that you currently have.

What this will do is prevent an action when the relevant and gate is active. You'll need a little more logic if there are multiple combinations to prevent the same action, but the setup I described will work as a starting point.

Alternatively, there may be a more efficient solution involving XOR gates, but I'd need a hands on look. Feel free to hit me up on PSN if you'd like further assistance (ID: OgTheEnigma).

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Have the people who voted DS4 in the poll also tried the Moves, or is it more of a which do you use poll?

I'm waiting to try the move controllers before voting.

Haven't been able to spend a lot of time with the game because of work but I noticed how bad the aiming was using the DS4 in one of the FPS levels that were created during the beta. Is there no way to add some aim assist?

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting to try the move controllers before voting.

Haven't been able to spend a lot of time with the game because of work but I noticed how bad the aiming was using the DS4 in one of the FPS levels that were created during the beta. Is there no way to add some aim assist?

There is, but it'd have to be done with the logic ingame, and nobody has done it yet.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'm hoping someone can help me with something. I have actions assigned to different buttons, but I need to make it so that if you try to press multiple buttons at the same time, either nothing happens or only one of the actions happens. I've tried a selector but it only seems to send signals in the order in which the inputs are wired. Like you're going down a list of button presses and if you do it out of order, nothing happens.

I also tried an exclusive gate, but after I hit each button once, that button stops working.

Any ideas?
AND gates are your friend here. You'll need to set up multiple with the exact combinations of buttons that you want to prevent an action. What I would then do is connect each of them to a NOT gate which then connects to the power port for a 'node'. The nodes should be setup between each action that you currently have.

What this will do is prevent an action when the relevant and gate is active. You'll need a little more logic if there are multiple combinations to prevent the same action, but the setup I described will work as a starting point.

Alternatively, there may be a more efficient solution involving XOR gates, but I'd need a hands on look. Feel free to hit me up on PSN if you'd like further assistance (ID: OgTheEnigma).
OK, I've just thought of a better way of doing it. Place a node between each action you currently have. Then connect an OR gate, with a NOT directly after, to the power of each node. Finally, you just need to connect the buttons you want to disable each action to the relevant OR gate.

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neonthecoder has posted 3 video tutorials so far in a series on creating a 2D platformer. I was just watching the most recent one on gameplay logic and though some might be interested if they are making this type of game and are new to Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHv-JVwtJp8

With regards to Twitch streams I think edited youtube tutorials will be more popular. Often you just want to know how to do something and are not really interested in watching someone debug logic live for 3 hours. It also takes skill to be an entertaining host while trying to concentrate on the logic/what you're doing.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Another basic question: is there a way to say, take a cylinder and taper it so its smaller at the top than the bottom? I feel like I've seen them do something like this in streams

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm I remember the speculation that this could be a bit of a wildcard for Twitch so I'm curious no way it can't be that ba-

*Goes and checks*

Uh yeah you're right. What happened here?
I dont think people really know about the game. Anecdotal but I havent ran into anyone who knew about the game before bringing it up

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Did the movement tutorials and the logic tutorials last night and I love how much easier this is to grasp than LBP was. My biggest struggle right now is moving the camera and items within the scene using the DS4, but I bet that is something that comes with time.

I was a tad confused however on how to make my own scene and import other peoples assets. I would open a blank one, then goto the search menu and find one... but when I stamped it into my scene, it seems to take the asset's background and other items along with it.

Is there a way to just take a puppet and use it without bringing it all of the other stuff from their creation?

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
We really need a Thread for the best projects

I think the early access needs to cook for a few weeks, or a couple of months so more fully realized creations are out in the wild. For now, this thread seems to work fine to get people up to speed while pointing out interesting creations to try, and to learn / borrow from.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Hey right into it atm, im finding it hard to get good google searches up for problems though, so helpfully someone can help here.
How do i reset the colors in paint mode, all my yellows have turned orange and peachy and i havent got one that pops.
I tried mixing it back but just made it worse...help!

Also fmd my ps4 is so loud playing this i really shouldnt have sold my Pro haha ahhh...

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
One way I've done this is "remix" their scene and select the item I want and then pick "Save as New Creation", the bottom icon on the right hand side. Then go back to your scene and import that item.

Ahhh ok, didnt know this was an option. I probably need to do more tutorials before attempting making my own scenes but I just wanted to mess around a bit.

Ill try this tonight when I get home! Thank you!

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
Hey right into it atm, im finding it hard to get good google searches up for problems though, so helpfully someone can help here.
How do i reset the colors in paint mode, all my yellows have turned orange and peachy and i havent got one that pops.
I tried mixing it back but just made it worse...help!

Also fmd my ps4 is so loud playing this i really shouldnt have sold my Pro haha ahhh...

Mixing colours doesn't affect the pre-defined colours? You have your custom colours over to the left, and all the standard ones to the right?

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My gf is using this game to channel her inner passion, which I never knew she had. I came home yesterday and she had 3 tracks created...didn't even touch the game stuff lol

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
I can't believe you need to hold L2 and use the thumbsticks to rotate in sculpt mode yet neither the menu in the top left or the controls on your imp tell you that, and instead tells you to use the touchpad which is quite wonky. Guess I should have done this tutorial before diving into sculpt mode on a whim earlier on.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Found another decently constructed platformer-actor in "Trouble In Time" by MantisPsychosis. Not as many abilities as the Captain Shadow demo, but it's well animated and feels good to control.

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
Am I right in think the initial tutorials are for DS4 only? It mentions things like moving your stick to the right - referencing the DS4, as well as closing the assembly menu with square when there is no menu option open.

As soon as I turned off the moves and used the DS4 it made sense.

Also, what are you supposed to do in the Connie's first clue tutorial?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Am I right in think the initial tutorials are for DS4 only? It mentions things like moving your stick to the right - referencing the DS4, as well as closing the assembly menu with square when there is no menu option open.

There are 2 completely separate tutorials for DS4 and Moves. You clicked into the DS4 tutorial.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

The initial tutorial has a version for the DS4 and another for the Move controllers

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't done the Move tutorials but looking forward to that & possibly some move sculpting today. That Kareem sculpting video is fucking amazing btw!

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017

OK, I've just thought of a better way of doing it. Place a node between each action you currently have. Then connect an OR gate, with a NOT directly after, to the power of each node. Finally, you just need to connect the buttons you want to disable each action to the relevant OR gate.

Thanks for the replies, but I actually managed a solution on my own. I wired not gates to each button followed by key frames that turn off all the other buttons (I had signal manipulator in each chain so I just powered them off). When in doubt...key frames!

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I need some help, I lost one of my music timelines in a huge city I put in my dream and I can't find it anymore even deleted the city. Any idea how to find it from the tools we have?

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Double click X on one of the notes will select all. Also, if you click X on a note and then drag the pointer around with X held down you can multi-select.

Thank you! Would be cool if that would select everything visible. That way you can zoom in or out of a certain section. I'll have to test it out.

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I need some help, I lost one of my music timelines in a huge city I put in my dream and I can't find it anymore even deleted the city. Any idea how to find it from the tools we have?
There's not really a way to list the elements in your scene, or search for specific elements. But maybe try toggling some of the visibility options and see if it's maybe buried inside some other object. https://indreams.me/guide/palette-glossary/assembly/show-or-hide/preview-visibility
Preview Invisibility and X-Ray.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Thanks for the replies, but I actually managed a solution on my own. I wired not gates to each button followed by key frames that turn off all the other buttons (I had signal manipulator in each chain so I just powered them off). When in doubt...key frames!
Keyframes are so powerful, they're basically cheating :p

I love that there's so many ways to achieve the same thing.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
A simple one to start with but I think it's coming along ok:

83cc2ac626832fe84650464867eda8cc

Bartalome

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Ok, I'm working on a scene trying to get the lighting right with the grade and effects Gadget. Unfortunately tinkering with this has zero effect on my scene. Any idea what I am missing here ?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to state. I really really like Dreams.

I'm not sure where I heard it but the description of Dreams being like an ultimate digital sketch book is perfect.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused as to where, when, and how to access remix of all versions of certain content. For instance, I have come across the same piece of content in multiple different menus or paths or whatever and sometimes it gave me the remix option and sometimes it did not. I messed around quite a bit but couldn't figure it out. I even went into the creator's creations thinking maybe it was remixable as a scene but not as a dream or something, but when I did that I didn't see the remix option on any of the content. Add in my personal confusion over whether or not someone has remix permissions disabled or something and I end up more confused and clueless than when I'm trying to build logic!

It should be noted that I haven't published anything of my own or completed half the tutorials yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is covered in detail and I just haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.