• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to figure out how the logic stuff works and how some of the components behave, it's a bit daunting learning this "simplified" language being used to Unreal Engine blueprints and Unity C#.

Seems like the controller input mechanism and a custom camera is the simplest way to start a custom feeling game and getting rid of the imp. Where I am having a bit of trouble is figuring out how to apply precise transform modifications on objects, the rotators and movers seem to dampen the input quite a lot.

Is there a good way of outputting values to the screen to debug the data I am sending to my various nodes? I need to watch some more tutorials and it's just me learning the tools, but I kinda wish we could have mouse controls when making microchips since the gyro controls on the DS4 leaves a lot to be desired.

Game is super cool and I can't wait to dive in deeper with it.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I really need to figure out how the logic stuff works and how some of the components behave, it's a bit daunting learning this "simplified" language being used to Unreal Engine blueprints and Unity C#.

Seems like the controller input mechanism and a custom camera is the simplest way to start a custom feeling game and getting rid of the imp. Where I am having a bit of trouble is figuring out how to apply precise transform modifications on objects, the rotators and movers seem to dampen the input quite a lot.

Is there a good way of outputting values to the screen to debug the data I am sending to my various nodes? I need to watch some more tutorials and it's just me learning the tools, but I kinda wish we could have mouse controls when making microchips since the gyro controls on the DS4 leaves a lot to be desired.

Game is super cool and I can't wait to dive in deeper with it.
I believe there is a numbers displayer gadget that can do exactly that, just drag a wire from the output of whatever you want to display to the gadget

You can also use text displayers to track states and other things, for example I'm tracking things like whether my character is walking, running, crouching, etc. I then created some debug logic made up of transmitters/receivers and text gadgets so I can see what exactly is happening.

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house

You'll eventually get used to it. There are a lot (and I mean a looooot) of really weird quirks that will screw you over if you're already used to coding. (IIRC OR gates (and only OR gates) actually output the largest "truthy" input value instead of just 1, for example.) I'd avoid trying to make anything too ambitious for now, since there's actually quite a lot logic just simply won't let you do (yet).

Where I am having a bit of trouble is figuring out how to apply precise transform modifications on objects, the rotators and movers seem to dampen the input quite a lot.

Yeah, dealing with vectors and manually positioning objects in 3d space is harder in Dreams that it is in any real game engine for seemingly no reason (no way to directly get an object's global coordinates, for instance, you have to use tags and get the 3d transform information from that.). One thing I'd like to point out is that follower gadgets can also take coordinates directly instead of having to use tags. It's on the second page of the tweak menu. Good luck👍

Is there a good way of outputting values to the screen to debug the data I am sending to my various nodes?

Number displayer gadgets are what you need. It used to be that you could just hover over a wire and see what value was running through it, but they got rid of that feature when EA hit.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll eventually get used to it. There are a lot (and I mean a looooot) of really weird quirks that will screw you over if you're already used to coding. (IIRC OR gates (and only OR gates) actually output the largest "truthy" input value instead of just 1, for example.) I'd avoid trying to make anything too ambitious for now, since there's actually quite a lot logic just simply won't let you do (yet).

Yeah, dealing with vectors and manually positioning objects in 3d space is harder in Dreams that it is in any real game engine for seemingly no reason (no way to directly get an object's global coordinates, for instance, you have to use tags and get the 3d transform information from that.). One thing I'd like to point out is that follower gadgets can also take coordinates directly instead of having to use tags. It's on the second page of the tweak menu. Good luck👍

Number displayer gadgets are what you need. It used to be that you could just hover over a wire and see what value was running through it, but they got rid of that feature when EA hit.

Thanks for the tips, will remember it when I mess around with it some more tomorrow 👍

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to get audio into dreams?
I made a sound file on my computer that i want to get into an animation.

I could play the sound next to the PS4 camera i suppose, but it would be degraded. Could i import it through the DS4 headphone/mic jack somehow?

Remote Play on the PC. If you are running it, disable the PS4 mic and it will record whatever is playing on your desktop so it's digital, no speaker to mic BS. :) I drop the sound recorder and hit play, then stop the sound recorder. You can go into the splice view to trim. I created and published my first instrument tonight. I sampled many notes of an Orch5 percussion hit (Sensei). I think it worked... :)

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Move controllers came in last night, they feel amazing to use!
I've almost finished a kickball demo slice and I got one other idea forming within my available capability.
But for now I'm finally gonna get sculpting! Everyone's stuff looks great!
So happy the levels are teeny it's actually way easier to load a level than a tutorial video.
Funny when you start with move controllers and imps don't come on screen before they tell you how to make imps appear on screen if they happen not to, I was confused for a bit!

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you guys need to look up this dream called "Xero(Demo)" by "theonlyxero"

crazy pretty, like playing a painting

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
you guys need to look up this dream called "Xero(Demo)" by "theonlyxero"

crazy pretty, like playing a painting

ha i'll try that!

So, like i was thinking, you can do many things by just placing platforms lol. It's crazy how i didn't see a lot of precise gameplay in Dreams for now.
Everyone is having fun experimenting i guess.

But for some reason, i'm not even curious about doing art so much for now. I'm all about creating a tight 3d platforming experience!
So, i took that robot puppet (the first of the search i think) and i change its control completely with the settings (at least that's not logic!), removed the actions i didn't want to keep only jump and double jump, with almost no inertia when stopping, no floaty jump etc.. Tight! Also made the walk slower so you can be precise.

Then i built a level based on small platforms, precision jumps, with a multi path level design, speed run oriented, where not only you have more difficult paths that are quicker, but you also have tons of little way to take risky shortcuts.

That's the kind of thing i want from Dreams for now i guess, or i'm just having fun doing level design!
Now i'd like to make something like that with multiple levels, but i'll need advice for some simple logic things.. I hope i can ask here.

Like.. Let's say i just want to have a run button like mario, and it changes some of the character settings (mostly the speed of course but also the momentum i guess to make it difficult to control). It shouldn't be to difficult but i don't even know where to start!

By the way does the jump high and length grows with the character speed stat? I hope not. I don't want that.
I'm not sharing for now as i'd like to add things first. Also i used the race beginning and end objects for now, to have some time at the end of the level but it's not ideal of course.

Of course i'll have to give it a visual identity to at some point :p Shouldn't be too hard. I'll see how to change the model for that robot.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to make semi/transparent objects like plastic/glass? The only way I've found is by "loosening the flecks" which doesnt word for rigid but transparent materials.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Is there no way to make semi/transparent objects like plastic/glass? The only way I've found is by "loosening the flecks" which doesnt word for rigid but transparent materials.

Last time I played I noticed an Opacity setting in the Edit Shape section. I didn't try it so it may not function like that, though, I didn't try it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
OK, this game is dangerous. I just lost 4hrs trying to recreate my room (only to find out I was in Sculpt mode, and there's a limit of the material you can use lol so I fucked up there), but the time went flying.

Between that and dreamsurfing, this thing will eat hours and hours of my life

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A question, I have made a forest scene that has graphics and gameplay almost @ 100. When I got into play mode the thermometer won't disappear lol. It's not checked in edit mode and I'd rather that not be seen when I publish the level. Am I SOL? Or is that only something I'd see because I'm making it.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent the first 4 days of early access working out the kinks of cube rotation for the full version of Cubric. Turns out making your levels fully rotatable creates lots and lots of little issues.

Rotators can't rotate 90 degrees flawlessly. They're always just slightly off which compounds with each subsequent rotation, so I had to create a whole system of keyframes to correct each spin.

But man, is it fun figuring this stuff out. Dreams is like the best puzzle game ever made.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Spending every spare hour making my forklift game and it's incredibly engrossing just learning how everything works and bringing my idea to life. GOTY easily so far.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Man. I remember being down on the game on Tuesday, now I'm over the moon with it. The tools are so good. I'm slowly but steadily getting better at sculpting / terrain. My progress so far:

Lt7ZisV.jpg

I'm still using the shitty tree that I made on day 2. I will probably create one or two better looking trees and swap them out.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I've got a small problem with my character.

I've finally put some clothes on him, by grouping each part to the correspondingly limb.

But now, both his left arm and left leg are going crazy and spinning round and round. I've unselected collidable and moveable. Nothing.

It keeps spinning, but only the left limbs. When I look at the ball joints, they look disconnect, reconnect when I rewind and pause, but to crazy once more, as soon as I hit play with R3 or go into play mode.

It's driving me insane. Does anyone know why that's happening, perhaps?

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a good stream/tutorials to get a good handle on how to use movers and rotators together with controller sensors to creat movable objects?

Wanted to make a biplanes clone but had real trouble getting things to move when I wanted and in the direction I wanted.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having an issue where a couple of the characters I've created have drifted (in one case significantly) away from the placement cursor when I try to place them in a world. Does anyone know how to correct/recenter this?

Edit: nevermind, figured it out instantly after posting this, had to put the floor guide on and recentre the character in the circle

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a good stream/tutorials to get a good handle on how to use movers and rotators together with controller sensors to creat movable objects?

Wanted to make a biplanes clone but had real trouble getting things to move when I wanted and in the direction I wanted.
I'd recommend you try remixing some creations from other users and see how they did it, it helped me a lot in my project. Side note: i really appreciate well laid out circuits!

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone made a camera follow a puppet with a follower gadget?

I added a tag to the puppet and then set this tag in the follower, then threw a wire from "affected object" output in the follower to the camera, but the camera is not following the puppet, it just drifts away

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
So I spent several hours (like, 5?) creating a puppet, posing, sculpting a little, coloring, adding accessories, programming all the movement mechanics, and (most time consuming of all) meticulously animating a cool jump cycle with flapping+growing wings for the double jump. I am very proud of this puppet and spent a lot of time getting the movement right so it could be part of my first game.

However... I did this in a tutorial. You know how he's always like, "go on and see what you can accomplish!" Well I did. And now I really really really want to save this puppet, but it's not in my creations and I don't see how I do that... am I fucked? 😥

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
How can I unlock more tutorials? I went through most of them, but I still did not learn how to make enemies and how to compose music using synths - two things I wanted to try the most. Are they not in the Early Access?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
How can I unlock more tutorials? I went through most of them, but I still did not learn how to make enemies and how to compose music using synths - two things I wanted to try the most. Are they not in the Early Access?
YouTube has some good tutorials that focus on stuff like that.

Howevrr, you've done ALL the tutorials and not run into what you're describing? Not even in the master class tutorials?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
More tutorials are going to be added at a later date, however if you've done the basic logic and animation tutorials then you should be equipped to start creating basic enemies. Not sure about the music one as i haven't done those yet.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube has some good tutorials that focus on stuff like that.

Howevrr, you've done ALL the tutorials and not run into what you're describing? Not even in the master class tutorials?
I did not do all of them. I just started to be impatient, because I went through most of them and nothing new unlocked. Maybe I will simply finish the ones I skipped.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
How long does it take to start getting used to the controls? Because I'm working through the beginner tutorials and I'm struggling to rotate blocks. Feels like I've never played a video game before in my life.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Just the other day I could barely control zooming in on objects. Now I have made a somewhat functional sword. Though I am not able to replicate the same kind of shine effect for the blade as I can for the end of the hilt. The progress feels good and I have yet to dive into the Masterclass Sculpting tutorial.

Ml5XOT9.jpg

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
So I spent several hours (like, 5?) creating a puppet, posing, sculpting a little, coloring, adding accessories, programming all the movement mechanics, and (most time consuming of all) meticulously animating a cool jump cycle with flapping+growing wings for the double jump. I am very proud of this puppet and spent a lot of time getting the movement right so it could be part of my first game.

However... I did this in a tutorial. You know how he's always like, "go on and see what you can accomplish!" Well I did. And now I really really really want to save this puppet, but it's not in my creations and I don't see how I do that... am I fucked? 😥
I was able to save my head bust from inside the masterclass tutorial but it doesn't look like it's possible to save from the other tutorials. However, if you take a bunch of screenshots and videos of the character, you'll be able to recreate it much faster the second time around.

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
Just the other day I could barely control zooming in on objects. Now I have made a somewhat functional sword. Though I am not able to replicate the same kind of shine effect for the blade as I can for the end of the hilt. The progress feels good and I have yet to dive into the Masterclass Sculpting tutorial.

Does changing the material to shiny metal not give you that shine effect on the blade?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I guess my post was too long lol, i'll retry.

Could someone help me with adding a run button that changes the puppet settings while pressed ? i just need clues to where i should start :p

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
How long does it take to start getting used to the controls? Because I'm working through the beginner tutorials and I'm struggling to rotate blocks. Feels like I've never played a video game before in my life.

I made a lot of errors throughout most of the tutorials, but once I started messing around with my own project I was surprised at how quick I could zip around and get things done (this probably lands about the eight hour mark in terms of creation playtime). Some users on Reddit are crying out for a non-motion control solution (which MM are actually developing), but really I think that once you get past the learning curve you realise how quickly the default controls with a DS4 allows you to do things.

Two joysticks, a modifier button, and a motion controlled cursor - all combined it's a lot of inputs to learn just for camera and cursor control, but once you have it down it really works. Prior to getting my hands on it I was hoping for mouse and keyboard support, but if they released that as a feature tomorrow I honestly don't think I'd bother.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I made a lot of errors throughout most of the tutorials, but once I started messing around with my own project I was surprised at how quick I could zip around and get things done (this probably lands about the eight hour mark in terms of creation playtime). Some users on Reddit are crying out for a non-motion control solution (which MM are actually developing), but really I think that once you get past the learning curve you realise how quickly the default controls with a DS4 allows you to do things.

Two joysticks, a modifier button, and a motion controlled cursor - all combined it's a lot of inputs to learn just for camera and cursor control, but once you have it down it really works. Prior to getting my hands on it I was hoping for mouse and keyboard support, but if they released that as a feature tomorrow I honestly don't think I'd bother.

Cheers for the reply. Must admit I've wished there were non motion controls at times so far, but I've only spent a couple of hours with it, I'm sure the longer I plug away the more it will stick and click with me. It's just as you say a lot on inputs to learn just for simple movement. I'll keep on going and do some more tutorials, just done the first beginner one so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.