• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Sculpting, day 2

From eyeballs to a character head

Still needs lots of color work and some smoothing out in certain areas (damn horn bumps), but overall it came out better than I expected. Took me hours and hours of course, but a lot of that was wrangling the tools and complaining here about features that aren't present.

Again, he eyes are the sculpt I did yesterday... really just a paint job. I want to redo them. Anyone got tips on making more lively eyes? Also, is there an easy way to rotate an already-placed object about its center, or is it always in reference to where you grab it with your cursor?

Might have to redo the horns as a different sculpt to change the material a bit.

That's really well done

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry english is not my main language and i dont understand your phrase. What do you mean?

Dog whistle is saying something that sounds normal but has an intentional different meaning to a certain demographic.

Race realism is another term for scientific racism which is to use statistics (often way outdated or unrelated) in a very narrow methodology to support not just racist rhetoric but also a foundation of supremacist ideology.

Side eye is to look at somebody cautiously and disapprovingly.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This game is super fun and inspiring; like way more than LBP 1 or 2 was and I'm not trying to knock those games cause I loved trying to make dumb stuff in that game. Dreams is not only more ambitious in terms of scope; and while the controls could still use some fine-tuning (I am only using the DS4), I find it hard to complain after seeing the huge toolset. I just finished the tutorial about adding style to the cottage scene and that was really fun and sold me on the idea that maybe I could make something cool.

Oct 27, 2017
Dog whistle is saying something that sounds normal but has an intentional different meaning to a certain demographic.

Race realism is another term for scientific racism which is to use statistics (often way outdated or unrelated) in a very narrow methodology to support not just racist rhetoric but also a foundation of supremacist ideology.

Side eye is to look at somebody cautiously and disapprovingly.
Thanks for the explanation. Not sure what he's referring to though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Omg i played all day. That was amazing.

I made a character from scratch and animated it with keyframes to do a punch.

I guess i need a walk cycle, two more puches for a chain, a jump, and a jump attack. Maybe a reach down to pick up chicken.

Enemies, backrgounds sound effects music.

Lol okay thats alot of shit but id have a beatemup.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
That's really well done

Thanks! I was pretty surprised myself. I've got very little experience with sculpting or 3D modeling, and I spent hours just trying to get something more than a blob. I nailed the nostrils first, and that really gave me the spirit to keep at it, where it only got easier and easier, at least mentally. The mirror guide, curve shape, and various blend amounts were my dear friends during this time. Now I'm excited to make more!

Oh, and I did that one with the DualShock, so if any of you don't have Moves, you can still get results. Just got to be a little more measured and, well... slow. But I didn't want to bother with the camera controls on the Move again.

Dreams is the real deal.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i'm learning the graphic tools, at least the 3d ones cause i don't want any brush for now. So there is really nothing special but i'll have cute colors (that you can't see here!).
I don't know how to capture with PS4 without sharing it on twitter/facebook or using a usb key lol.. So i took a photo with my horrible phone

DreamsEssai.jpg

Platforms are not done graphically yet.

(A little idea i'm really happy with. There was a light torch with the robot and i directed it toward his feets, so it shows you if you're falling on the platform or not, like a mario shadow)

looks cool. reminds me of the Pez candy for some reason, maybe the yellows and pinks.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing non-stop since it came out. So far, I've just been experimenting seeing how far I could take it. I've remade every extend extra as my first game, it was so easy to recreate the blast chain combos, I was amazed. I'm now tinkering with a harvest moon clone for the spring game jam. This game is so good. My only gripe is that I really struggle with getting the imp reach to the right length with the move controllers when I work with a sculpt close-up but I'm sure it will come with practice.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Anybody know how to add a camera that activates briefly to show what happens when your character presses a button during gameplay?
There's a camera pointer gadget specifically for this. Points to the target and has a trigger zone

Has anyone found a way to get a sin() and cos() equivalent in Dreams yet?
Somebody has made a maths collection, look for that, other dreamers have already shared their sin and cos microchips

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
One of my biggest things at the moment - eg having text displayed for a short time and then disappearing. Often used for game intros, instructions etc. Even game over screens. I've been using a variable + 'not' gate which seems messy logic. Do people just put thins on a timeline and trigger the timeline and let it run through? Must be a simple approach

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
One of my biggest things at the moment - eg having text displayed for a short time and then disappearing. Often used for game intros, instructions etc. Even game over screens. I've been using a variable + 'not' gate which seems messy logic. Do people just put thins on a timeline and trigger the timeline and let it run through? Must be a simple approach
How about the timer gadget?

DanielC

Apr 11, 2018
If you're having trouble with sculpting like I was and you haven't tried the Masterclass tutorial, get on it. I'm only about a third through it and it's already seriously helping me figure out the sculpting system when I was struggling to wrap my head around it. Kareem helped it really click for me. I'm going through it with the DS4, so I'm having to pause often to keep up, but it's helped out a ton to grasp the sculpture mode. And I'm amazed how well my bust is turning out so far!

P.S. Soft blend is a game changer.

Good looks!! I'm going to start this tomorrow night. My schedule is clear, I've been kinda stumped after doing the move tutorials over and over. I just feel like I only like a quarter of the tools so I'm excited about this. Thanks!

DanielC

Apr 11, 2018
i'm learning the graphic tools, at least the 3d ones cause i don't want any brush for now. So there is really nothing special but i'll have cute colors (that you can't see here!).
I don't know how to capture with PS4 without sharing it on twitter/facebook or using a usb key lol.. So i took a photo with my horrible phone

DreamsEssai.jpg

Platforms are not done graphically yet.

(A little idea i'm really happy with. There was a light torch with the robot and i directed it toward his feets, so it shows you if you're falling on the platform or not, like a mario shadow)

Neat! This is looking really cool. Inspired by this.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm making a co-op stage where of the elements is a character standing on a button to light the way for another puppet. The problem I'm having is if it won't work in single player as the puppet loses its button pressing ability when depossessed. I'm sure theres something simple I'm missing but i can't figure it out.. any ideas?

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm making a co-op stage where of the elements is a character standing on a button to light the way for another puppet. The problem I'm having is if it won't work in single player as the puppet loses its button pressing ability when depossessed. I'm sure theres something simple I'm missing but i can't figure it out.. any ideas?
I'm not exactly sure I understand the issue exactly but would setting the controller logic to "remote control" not work? This is so the puppet listens to button presses even if not possessed.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not exactly sure I understand the issue exactly but would setting the controller logic to "remote control" not work? This is so the puppet listens to button presses even if not possessed.

I don't think I explained myself well.

It's a two puppet stage, so if the puppet standing on the pressure button is depossesed so I can control the other, the pressure button switches off.

I'm sure I'm being dense (and please tell me if i am) thanks tho!

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Can you tell when it stops though? Eg display text only when timer is running.

Yes you can - what you could also do is use a timeline gadget to trigger the text box for a certain amount of time. I feel like that'd make it easier to time it to other things, as well as making it a lot easier to visualise and test it.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
You can change the type of tag that affects the trigger zone of the button away from possessed character. Should be somewhere in the trigger zone settings.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing non-stop since it came out. So far, I've just been experimenting seeing how far I could take it. I've remade every extend extra as my first game, it was so easy to recreate the blast chain combos, I was amazed. I'm now tinkering with a harvest moon clone for the spring game jam. This game is so good. My only gripe is that I really struggle with getting the imp reach to the right length with the move controllers when I work with a sculpt close-up but I'm sure it will come with practice.

Just to warn you, the game jam is for elements, not scenes or dreams.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You can change the type of tag that affects the trigger zone of the button away from possessed character. Should be somewhere in the trigger zone settings.

Ahh thank you! <3 I played around with that but I was somehow missing the correct combination of things. Just managed to do it with just a trigger zone, but now to try it with the pressure button.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent a lot of time making stuff so let me know if you have other questions. So there are two things you can add to your music tracks, preset clips or empty instruments. Open the music chip with L1+X then press square to open up the menu at the top. Click on the magnifying glass and then you should see a media molecule collection. If you go into that then you will see all kinds of synths and instruments to add to your tracks. You can also search using the keyboard. So click the magnifying glass, type "Synth" and then you should see them.

One thing that's kind of frustrating is that you can't change instruments easily while in edit mode. Let's say you pick a synth but it doesn't sound great, find another one and drag it on top of the old synth. It will replace the instrument while keeping the notes you added.
Thanks! This is really helpful.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just saw a video of an RPG someone made (think it's called Slayer?) and omg...I think it's finally hitting me just how big of a deal Dream can be.

In essence, this is a game that allows you to collaborate with other talented artists, animators, storytellers, designers, etc etc to make the dream game project you always wanted to play.

I'm curious if the current version supports the community features required to organise teams of 10+ size.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Just spent 2 hours trying to control how high character raises his hands depending on how hard you press R2 or L2. I'm probably trying to do this completely wrong. I have keyframe animations on a timeline but how do I control that timeline with L2 or R2? Tried looking for some gadgets to put in between control input and timeline but I couldn't figure it out. Or could I somehow just control shoulder join on my character with R2 without even making an animation?

Guess I need to to do something simpler for now. Yesterday I had nice time creating my room in Dreams. Took me ages to figure out that a door model made by someone took 50% of my graphics budget?!?!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just spent 2 hours trying to control how high character raises his hands depending on how hard you press R2 or L2. I'm probably trying to do this completely wrong. I have keyframe animations on a timeline but how do I control that timeline with L2 or R2? Tried looking for some gadgets to put in between control input and timeline but I couldn't figure it out. Or could I somehow just control shoulder join on my character with R2 without even making an animation?

Guess I need to to do something simpler for now. Yesterday I had nice time creating my room in Dreams. Took me ages to figure out that a door model made by someone took 50% of my graphics budget?!?!

Connect the output of R2 button directly to the playhead on the timeline. It'll move around based on the output from the shoulder button

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Shortly after Dreams EA released I was having lunch at a restaurant. I saw a painting that looked simple and "dreamy" and thought it would be a good exercise to try reproducing it. Only managed to get the gist of it but after just two days with the tools I'm quite happy with it.

F0re7sFm.jpg

Fh1h8uom.jpg

I'm no artist so I was intrigued by the sculpting part the most. That being said I'm looking forward to delve into what I would be actually useful at. Logic and stuff. Hope I can quickly make some prototypes and see if I can collaborate with some of you here :)

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Heh. You should be able to see the thermometer values of any element you're about to drop into your scene on the search screen, worth looking out for. Might be worth using the detail reduction tool in certain cases too, as potentially people are authoring stuff at an unnecessarily high LoD.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Heh. You should be able to see the thermometer values of any element you're about to drop into your scene on the search screen, worth looking out for. Might be worth using the detail reduction tool in certain cases too, as potentially people are authoring stuff at an unnecessarily high LoD.

Yeah. Didn't pay any attention to thermometer until I reached the limit for the first time.

DanielC

Apr 11, 2018
Shortly after Dreams EA released I was having lunch at a restaurant. I saw a painting that looked simple and "dreamy" and thought it would be a good exercise to try reproducing it. Only managed to get the gist of it but after just two days with the tools I'm quite happy with it.

F0re7sFm.jpg

Fh1h8uom.jpg

I'm no artist so I was intrigued by the sculpting part the most. That being said I'm looking forward to delve into what I would be actually useful at. Logic and stuff. Hope I can quickly make some prototypes and see if I can collaborate with some of you here :)

Looks awesome!!! Great job.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
How do you edit the basic camera view that comes naturally when you put a puppet in the scene? Is there a way to move that camera around to give you say a sideways perspective?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
How do you edit the basic camera view that comes naturally when you put a puppet in the scene? Is there a way to move that camera around to give you say a sideways perspective?
By default the camera is actually off so it's using the camera built into the puppets properties. So if you tried to change it but nothing that might be why for sideways you mean like a platform we? There should be a platform tutorial level that shows how to do so by a mm team

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Is the community big enough to have a Show off creations/progress/art/music thread? i just to post things i come across on the web lol

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The controller poll is pretty useless as most PS4 owners and thus probably most Dreams owners don't also own Move controllers, so no fair comparison can be made.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

F0re7sFm.jpg

Fh1h8uom.jpg

This is a great idea to familiarize yourself with the controls, and you did a bang-up job! Awesome!

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The controller poll is pretty useless as most PS4 owners and thus probably most Dreams owners don't also own Move controllers, so no fair comparison can be made.

It's more than pointless because both are better at different things. For sculpting I use the move as it's far superior for that then when I want to do other things I pick up the DS4.

Deleted member 36037

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Have been playing quite a lot of the communities levels since last week. While the game is great, inspiring and all that stuff, what strikes me the most is how much more fun it is to play around in most levels compared to in LBP. Like when I played LBP I'd be thoroughly impressed quite a lot but rarely, if ever, would I want to play any of the levels for more than a few minutes. In this game though, I've spent 30-60 minutes in many of the levels and the only thing stopping me from continuing has been that the levels ended. The wait for this game really did pay off.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Im suprised that ive been making more than playing. Its so addictive because its easy to make /something, but you get faster and faster with the tools and you keep having ideas and....

So fun editing with two moves. Id why people hate on these things other than theyshould be half the price. Beatsaber, skyrim, etc work well enough with them. But dreams is a real showcase. Dual weilding air mice is a pretty good way to work within a scene.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a cleaner way than microphone to import audio? I have my own instrument sounds and loops I'd like to import and slice if it's possible.

This requires an extra piece of hardware but, if you already have it, a mixer should work. The mic I use is a nice cardioid one that inputs to a mixer via XLR then to the PS4 via USB.

Most decent mixers allow you to input music and sound (other than XLR mic vocals) into them and output it (with the idea that you're doing a live mix of your voice and instruments). If you hooked your laptop or whatever up to the mixer, you could port in pristine audio of any kind, masquerading as a "microphone recording".

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Does everyone's imp need to be recentered every 60-90 seconds when using the DS4?

I mean, I get that using a gyro is not that accurate, but having to manually recenter it so often when the controller remains in the same position is nuts.

Games on the Wii that used the Wiimote as a cursor never once needed to be recentered.

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spent 8 hours yesterday in this thing. This game is moving into dangerous territory for me.

Now imagine you knew it was going away in a few weeks. That's what if felt like in beta, so I spent every spare moment I had with it. Now that it's out I am still doing the same.

This requires an extra piece of hardware but, if you already have it, a mixer should work. The mic I use is a nice cardioid one that inputs to a mixer via XLR then to the PS4 via USB.

Most decent mixers allow you to input music and sound (other than XLR mic vocals) into them and output it (with the idea that you're doing a live mix of your voice and instruments). If you hooked your laptop or whatever up to the mixer, you could port in pristine audio of any kind, masquerading as a "microphone recording".

I will have to look into that. I tried all weekend to make an instrument by sampling my synth into my PC and using PS4 Remote Play to get it into the PS4. It worked, however it didn't sound very good.

I was looking for something that "simulated a USB mic" with an audio input on one end and USB on the other. Thanks for the tip, I just bought a USB audio interface for pretty cheap. Hopefully that'll do it.

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Does everyone's imp need to be recentered every 60-90 seconds when using the DS4?

I mean, I get that using a gyro is not that accurate, but having to manually recenter it so often when the controller remains in the same position is nuts.

Games on the Wii that used the Wiimote as a cursor never once needed to be recentered.

I have to recenter with some frequency, but nowhere near that often, I don't think. I haven't timed it or anything, but it feels like less.

The Wii benefited from having an idle sensor bar near the TV that allowed the controller sensor to always track where it was in space along with gyro functions. And even still I remember having to recalibrate from time to time on Wii. DS4 solely has the gyros so it can't track in the same way. It clearly wasn't specifically made for this type of input in mind...which kind of makes it all the more impressive that it functions as well as it does in Dreams, even if flawed.

SimonAbou

Dec 5, 2017
I just hit a pretty big wall in what I was trying to create :c
I can't figure out a way to reference a position of another object without directly attaching it with a wire(from a tag on the object for example)
I want to spawn a platform and then I want the spawned platform to store the position of an object in the scene.

MrCow

Oct 30, 2017

Ok so this is what I've build so far:
- Sculpted a custom Character onto the Puppet
- custom thrid person controls
- L2 to zoom into fixed third person camera
- X to shoulder swap (not really useful but ..)
- character auto rotates to where the player is aiming when hitting L2

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018

Ok so this is what I've build so far:
- Sculpted a custom Character onto the Puppet
- custom thrid person controls
- L2 to zoom into fixed third person camera
- X to shoulder swap (not really useful but ..)
- character auto rotates to where the player is aiming when hitting L2

Nice! Especially the shoulder swap. Imo a feature, that should be in more games. Can't wait for The Snowball Fight Battle Royal in Dreams ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.