• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can I get some advice on what I'm doing wrong making a level? I just realized that the bit of a level I made has basically maxed out the graphics bar and I was no where near done my idea for the level.

Here is my level.
https://indreams.me/scene/dAwPksRcMTc
I tried to make the level parts they way the one tutorial in the beta said to but it seems like it really bloated the graphics meter.

Last edited:

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone help me out?

My brother is currently sat here playing "Lost Worlds" I think it's called. The platformer with the monkey (very good it is too). Every time he collects a puzzle piece a bit of music kicks in. I'm adamant the music is from LittleBigPlanet but he says it's not. I've been going through soundtracks trying to find it but can't.

Any one have any idea what it is?
Yeah that's definitely The Gardens from LBP, specifically the part at 3:00:

But sounds like the more upbeat remix from LBP Karting (3:31)

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get some advice on what I'm doing wrong making a level? I just realized that the bit of a level I made has basically maxed out the graphics bar and I was no where near done my idea for the level.

Your assets are likely using a higher level of detail than is required.This can happen by accident if you start with a small object and then stretch it. Luckily it is easy to fix - just use the 'reduce detail' gadget.

There are also other limits that will instantly max out your graphics meter.

For instance, if you exceed the max number of paintings your thermo can instantly max out seemingly out of nowhere. This happened to me when i imported a wall and then duped it heaps of times - i was sitting comfortably at 20% graphics thermo, and then once i crossed a certain number of dupes my thermo got maxed out. It turned out that the wall I imported had dozens of small paintings on it, and so i hit the painting limit very quickly. It does pop up an error message when this happens though, but you may have to check the thermometer view to see it.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Your assets are likely using a higher level of detail than is required.This can happen by accident if you start with a small object and then stretch it. Luckily it is easy to fix - just use the 'reduce detail' gadget.

There are also other limits that will instantly max out your graphics meter.

For instance, if you exceed the max number of paintings your thermo can instantly max out seemingly out of nowhere. This happened to me when i imported a wall and then duped it heaps of times - i was sitting comfortably at 20% graphics thermo, and then once i crossed a certain number of dupes my thermo got maxed out. It turned out that the wall I imported had dozens of small paintings on it, and so i hit the painting limit very quickly. It does pop up an error message when this happens though, but you may have to check the thermometer view to see it.

So I edited my post with my level when I found the creation site. I have painted stuff as the background and the water effect but I dont think they took up to much meter. I did a lot of sculpting on the ground since I am anal even about parts that people dont see normally. I will check out that detail tip now.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Still prototyping with what i could add as cute little twist on the control, contextual (like some platform that lets you jump differently) but everything i try (like playing with gravity or directional wind) honestly gives messy results that are not precise enough to control in this type of platformer.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
a new patch is coming out in the coming weeks. more details later.

also Tuesday Streams is Creations, tips & tricks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
a new patch is coming out in the coming weeks. more details later.

also Tuesday Streams is Creations, tips & tricks.

Two streams a week? Nice. I'm more likely to watch the Tuesday one regularly, and maybe skim the Thursday one for anything cool I've missed, or just check out the collection at the end of the week.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Two streams a week? Nice. I'm more likely to watch the Tuesday one regularly, and maybe skim the Thursday one for anything cool I've missed, or just check out the collection at the end of the week.
I was wondering because they stopped doing tips and tricks when EA stream started. And giving them a focus is a good choice

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I asked a question regarding discoverability, and Abbie answered. It's something they'll be working on over the whole of early access, but, in fact, she said that they've literally just pushed an live improvement to how recommendations work. Awesome! I'd assume that should be apparent from what is getting surfaced in the Recommended sort (which is the default). I wonder if that will take effect gradually or instantly. Excited to see.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I asked a question regarding discoverability, and Abbie answered. It's something they'll be working on over the whole of early access, but, in fact, she said that they've literally just pushed an live improvement to how recommendations work. Awesome! I'd assume that should be apparent from what is getting surfaced in the Recommended sort (which is the default). I wonder if that will take effect gradually or instantly. Excited to see.

Possibly related :

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Never deploy on a Friday. Oh or a Thursday in case it screws with the stream. Oh or Tuesday

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Crikey. It's indeed a new dawn for discoverability. Recommended is now a completely different story, no longer almost a copy of Most Thumbed Up. There's a lot more new stuff in there, but still some old stuff too. I wonder what they've done, but so far, so good.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Crikey. It's indeed a new dawn for discoverability. Recommended is now a completely different story, no longer almost a copy of Most Thumbed Up. There's a lot more new stuff in there, but still some old stuff too. I wonder what they've done, but so far, so good.
What they could be doing is sending random batches of people to newer dreams randomly, and if those people upvote there's a higher chance other people going to those dreams too.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What they could be doing is sending random batches of people to newer dreams randomly, and if those people upvote there's a higher chance other people going to those dreams too.

Yeah that would be an interesting way of going about it. I guess the first question with that is do we all see remarkably different things?

For me, right now, the top 10 Recommended Game + Story + Showcase:

DEXTER'S LAB
Littlebigplanet: sackboy's adventure
Cookie clicker Ultimate! V1.20.1
Silent Hills Part 1
Green Hill Test Zone
Dungeon Crawler
Sword Fighter Puppet Test (v1.10e)
Pixel Plaza
Boom Balls
Back To Nowhere - Short Film

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
In case anyone missed this, among the many hours of footage from the MM live stream on launch day, there was a segment where they discussed earlier prototypes and concepts for Dreams, and it's FASCINATING.

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a way to properly align things??? tbh i can't seem to handle the depth with the DS controller to place things correctly...

I'm still on the tutorials (animations and colors) and the controls are pushing me away from it...

I really hope this could be controlled without the camera at all... and using one of the analogs as a mouse or something...

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Is there a way to properly align things??? tbh i can't seem to handle the depth with the DS controller to place things correctly...

I'm still on the tutorials (animations and colors) and the controls are pushing me away from it...

I really hope this could be controlled without the camera at all... and using one of the analogs as a mouse or something...

The grid guides, mirror and the fine movement tool are your friends :) Use them from the START of your sculpting though, or it can be a pain to properly snap them into position along with the grid

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The grid guides, mirror and the fine movement tool are your friends :) Use them from the START of your sculpting though, or it can be a pain to properly snap them into position along with the grid

Only thing to add to that is Nudge. When you only slightly depress the trigger, you can make much smaller adjustments.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
My autosurf through the recommended section has been great. There's a lot of impressive stuff out there already. Around the time PSVR support hits, there could potentially be shit loads of good experiences and games.

I can already picture a few that I'd like to revisit after a nice blaze...

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Just played "Car Trip" (i think is called that), really great and very impressive car destruction. The creations are really improving this week, i can only imagine how will they be in the next couple of months!

Still didn't have time to make the tutorials and adventure myself in creation, but soon i will. However i am having a lot of fun with my kids playing the mini-games created already.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Just played "Car Trip" (i think is called that), really great and very impressive car destruction. The creations are really improving this week, i can only imagine how will they be in the next couple of months!
Yep, I've definitely noticed a huge increase in the quality of the creations released in the past week or so, and that was before they even fixed the 'most recommended' tab.

Sidenote: I wish I could easily view a list of creations that I've liked. It would make it so much easier to find old stuff.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I spent some time today checking out "recommended". I discovered lots of new stuff, so I hop it continues to do that, rather than keep pushing THAT new stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha why did she open the scene and not the dreams lol, it has 4 likes :p Also yeah.. when you're playing a game like that while talking and trying for the sake of it you're not trying super hard so she dies a lot and it's not even the hard part of the level :p

Thx for the info and the link by the way!
I played it the other day. Had to watch what section because I didn't agree about the "not even super hard" part.
Glad I watched, because now I know there's double jumping... Lol, I feel dumb. It's much harder with only single jumping.

Looks gorgeous btw. Will revisit :)

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a sample of the awesome stuff I saw yesterday:

- Someone made a psychedelic music video to the song White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. It involved an Alice-In-Wonderland puppet with loads of cool-looking visualizer effects. It was a great video, I just hope that MM continues to be extremely lax in cracking down on the copyright violations :)

- There's a cool little demo showcasing destructible environments. You could walk around a room and shoot a bunch of stuff like a TV or a door, and they'd shatter realistically. Cool stuff.

-Someone made a nice Myst-style first person puzzle game, where you explore an environment completing puzzles in order to find a key. I can't remember what it was called but it had good puzzles and was paced really well and
so I played it to completion.

- Splitscreen Spar is pretty insane. They've managed to get a split-screen multiplayer game working despite no official support for splitscreen functionality. If I were to guess how they've achieved this, I'd say that they have one camera mounted in place, and the geometry on the left and right sides of the screen are constantly popping in and out of existence to maintain the illusion that your character is moving around a space, and that both sides are sharing the same world. However it's achieved, clearly there's some pretty nuts logic happening.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
That's super impressive for less than a day. I don't even want to tell you how long it took to get my animated robot working during the beta.
1f44d.png
I fiddle around in dreams since it came out in early access and I didn't create one single thing. Y'all are way too good.
Dayim, both of these are so impressive!

Are either of you planning on making them remixable?

What was the logic like for doing the pickups?

Thank you guys so much! I do plan on getting it out for people to mess around with as soon as I feel she's a complete character and not just a puppet model haha!

Speaking of which, few updates!

+ Changed walking animation to be more true to her RE2 walk
+ Added animation for the Hacking Tool

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

+ Animations for free switching between weapons! (Handgun + Hacking Tool)
giphy.gif

+ ...Grapple Hook everywhere! Bruce Wong is in the house XD
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So is there a way to not make a character respawn (and just hit the ground) from falling to far?

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I follow JimmyJules' tutorials on YouTube and they're always interesting but I've always known more or less what he's teaching but his latest video has a great trick I never thought about to make infinite runners or big levels without impacting the thermo too much through clever usage of the destroyer. That has given me so many ideas.

May 18, 2018
Here's a sample of the awesome stuff I saw yesterday:

- Someone made a psychedelic music video to the song White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. It involved an Alice-In-Wonderland puppet with loads of cool-looking visualizer effects. It was a great video, I just hope that MM continues to be extremely lax in cracking down on the copyright violations :)

- There's a cool little demo showcasing destructible environments. You could walk around a room and shoot a bunch of stuff like a TV or a door, and they'd shatter realistically. Cool stuff.

-Someone made a nice Myst-style first person puzzle game, where you explore an environment completing puzzles in order to find a key. I can't remember what it was called but it had good puzzles and was paced really well and
so I played it to completion.

- Splitscreen Spar is pretty insane. They've managed to get a split-screen multiplayer game working despite no official support for splitscreen functionality. If I were to guess how they've achieved this, I'd say that they have one camera mounted in place, and the geometry on the left and right sides of the screen are constantly popping in and out of existence to maintain the illusion that your character is moving around a space, and that both sides are sharing the same world. However it's achieved, clearly there's some pretty nuts logic happening.

Any names to go with these so I can check them out please?

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Just quit my job and now I have some free time till university starts. I hope I can finally concentrate on dreams and make something ouz of the ideas I have. The things you all are showing here are more than amazing.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I played it the other day. Had to watch what section because I didn't agree about the "not even super hard" part.
Glad I watched, because now I know there's double jumping... Lol, I feel dumb. It's much harder with only single jumping.

Looks gorgeous btw. Will revisit :)

Hmm i have to make it more clear cause it's written on screen :p But i don't know, personally i always always try to push a second time when jumping in a game lol.

I'll make it more visible.

I experimented visually for the second world but i'm not happy with what i did. Now i have to try keeping a certain art style hmm.. Not easy!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Thank you guys so much! I do plan on getting it out for people to mess around with as soon as I feel she's a complete character and not just a puppet model haha!

Speaking of which, few updates!

+ Changed walking animation to be more true to her RE2 walk
+ Added animation for the Hacking Tool

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

+ Animations for free switching between weapons! (Handgun + Hacking Tool)
giphy.gif

+ ...Grapple Hook everywhere! Bruce Wong is in the house XD
giphy.gif
That second gif is ridiculous. Wow, amazing work on the character especially, but the environment too!

I feel so bloody useless with Dreams. The Dreamiverse concept is cool but if you want to build a level out of a lot of other people's creations you tend to hit limits pretty quickly and it slows down. Creating my own semi decent assets doesn't seem like a good use of my time since I'm so bloody useless at it, lol.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
That second gif is ridiculous. Wow, amazing work on the character especially, but the environment too!

I feel so bloody useless with Dreams. The Dreamiverse concept is cool but if you want to build a level out of a lot of other people's creations you tend to hit limits pretty quickly and it slows down. Creating my own semi decent assets doesn't seem like a good use of my time since I'm so bloody useless at it, lol.
I may be wrong, but isn't the second gif straight out of Re2 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.