• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Uploaded the 2-3 today. Also made all levels directly accessible cause there is a stupid thing that makes you replay the last one before the new one all the time to unlock it.

It's not great but anyway it'll probably be the last one i do for that game. It seems it dropped from the dreams discover list completely for some reason, so it's not played anymore at all lol. Dreams is clearly not done for anything that is uploaded progressively.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Uploaded the 2-3 today. Also made all levels directly accessible cause there is a stupid thing that makes you replay the last one before the new one all the time to unlock it.

It's not great but anyway it'll probably be the last one i do for that game. It seems it dropped from the dreams discover list completely for some reason, so it's not played anymore at all lol. Dreams is clearly not done for anything that is uploaded progressively.
I haven't followed, have you been updating the Dream's title and cover photo with each new update? Also, have you mentioned the bolded on feedback.indreams.me? The game's in early access for a reason, I'm sure Mm could be receptive to this feedback.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

I've had the same experience with Galactic Geometry. I don't think it's necessarily bent against things being released over a period of time, it's just that the system seems to bias very heavily to novelty now. When they made that change, GG was getting several hundred likes a day for a while, now I'm lucky if it gets more than about five.

The change means that new things get attention, which is great, but there isn't really any progression from there for the best creations. They have a few days of attention and then they're done. It's stilk totally impossible for anything to gain even a fraction of the likes that the earliest games got, however good they are, so most thumbed up is basically just a hall of fame for that old stuff.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I haven't followed, have you been updating the Dream's title and cover photo with each new update? Also, have you mentioned the bolded on feedback.indreams.me? The game's in early access for a reason, I'm sure Mm could be receptive to this feedback.

Well at that point nobody really knows how it's working guess.. I mean i do'nt even know if people subscribed to the game or not and if they see when i upload something new. I'll see if uploading a level today gave it a play boost, but it won't be new likes anyway if people already liked it in the past.

I've had the same experience with Galactic Geometry. I don't think it's necessarily bent against things being released over a period of time, it's just that the system seems to bias very heavily to novelty now. When they made that change, GG was getting several hundred likes a day for a while, now I'm lucky if it gets more than about five.

The change means that new things get attention, which is great, but there isn't really any progression from there for the best creations. They have a few days of attention and then they're done. It's stilk totally impossible for anything to gain even a fraction of the likes that the earliest games got, however good they are, so most thumbed up is basically just a hall of fame for that old stuff.

Yeah well for me it was several hundred likes a day to then suddenly 1 a day lol, just like that.
Something Deviantart does, is that you have all time popular, monthly, weekly.. They should add different lines on top of each other.

But i mean it's also the crowd in here. Are they interested in coming back to something. Again i'm not sure anyone is playing dreams to spend hours on a game for now. It's like an endless buffet. You're not going to eat too much of something, you want to taste everything :p

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that's amazing. There's surely no doubt that the best artists will be able to find a huge audience for this stuff. It's wonderful to watch.

Well at that point nobody really knows how it's working guess.. I mean i do'nt even know if people subscribed to the game or not and if they see when i upload something new. I'll see if uploading a level today gave it a play boost, but it won't be new likes anyway if people already liked it in the past.

Yeah well for me it was several hundred likes a day to then suddenly 1 a day lol, just like that.
Something Deviantart does, is that you have all time popular, monthly, weekly.. They should add different lines on top of each other.

Yeah that seems like the easiest next step. They've said repeatedly that searching and discoverability is an ongoing thing for them and will be for some time. The flaws right now are a shame, but the change they made a couple of weeks ago helped a ton and I'm sure there will be more in the near future.

But i mean it's also the crowd in here. Are they interested in coming back to something. Again i'm not sure anyone is playing dreams to spend hours on a game for now. It's like an endless buffet. You're not going to eat too much of something, you want to taste everything :p

For sure. Anyone making anything of any length (e.g. over a few minutes) needs to be conscious that it needs to be really high quality and constantly engaging or people will just move on. Just something for creators to get used to. Quality over quantity is important for Dreams.

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
But i mean it's also the crowd in here. Are they interested in coming back to something. Again i'm not sure anyone is playing dreams to spend hours on a game for now. It's like an endless buffet. You're not going to eat too much of something, you want to taste everything

Yeah, and the Early Access crowd in particular who is already aware of Dreams is more likely to be more interested and engaged in the creation aspect. I'd expect the full release crowd to have a higher ratio of primarily players than we have at the moment.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so I've managed to create a sequence of items that when placed in a particular spot activates a power-up. This power-up enables higher jumps. However, I wanted to also make a visible change, so I set the variable that manages the power-up not to 1 but to 120, which is the hue I wanted. I plugged this into the hue cycle of the playable object... and nothing happens. If I pull the bar around it changes colour but it doesn't seem the accept the number straight off the variable. Any ideas?

The hue cycle bar goes from 0 to 360 degrees, does that mean I need to convert my number somehow? I want to get the input 120 degress (orangish red). Is that the number 120 or something like 0,33333?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I've managed to create a sequence of items that when placed in a particular spot activates a power-up. This power-up enables higher jumps. However, I wanted to also make a visible change, so I set the variable that manages the power-up not to 1 but to 120, which is the hue I wanted. I plugged this into the hue cycle of the playable object... and nothing happens. If I pull the bar around it changes colour but it doesn't seem the accept the number straight off the variable. Any ideas?

The hue cycle bar goes from 0 to 360 degrees, does that mean I need to convert my number somehow? I want to get the input 120 degress (orangish red). Is that the number 120 or something like 0,33333?

Yeah, you've got the right idea, albeit the wrong guess. The hue cycle converts to degrees from radians. 120 degrees is roughly 2.094, or, exactly, 2Pi/3. Bit of an oddity, though not as weird as the Phase Offset on the Signal Generator. On that, 0-1 converts to 0-50%, 1-2 does absolutely nothing, and 2-3 converts from 50-100%, and 3-4% does nothing. These cases don't seem to be documented and can often be extremely confusing.

HOWEVER...

In your case there is a much easier approach which is Modulate blending on the input wire. When you do this, the value on the slider bar does matter. It effectively multiplies together the value on the slider that you have input and the value coming in on the wire. So if you use modulate blending, and slide it to 120 degrees, you will get 0 degrees when the wire is deactivated, and 120 degrees when the wire passes a signal of 1. Modulate blending is fantastic, for what it's worth. If you're ever having to think hard to get the value you want into a gadget, modulate blending and/or signal manipulators do pretty much everything you want.

It does seem quite strange for them to use degrees in some places and radians in others. Radians aren't something that are taught as standard in mathematics in the UK at least. They're great, to be fair, and maths is much easier with radians than degrees, but it's hardly accessible, especially for younger creators.

Last edited:

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Yeah, you've got the right idea, albeit the wrong guess. The hue cycle converts to degrees from radians. 120 degrees is roughly 2.094, or, exactly, 2Pi/3. Bit of an oddity, though not as weird as the Phase Offset on the Signal Generator. On that, 0-1 converts to 0-50%, 1-2 does absolutely nothing, and 2-3 converts from 50-100%, and 3-4% does nothing. These cases don't seem to be documented and can often be extremely confusing.

HOWEVER...

In your case there is a much easier approach which is Modulate blending on the input wire. When you do this, the value on the slider bar does matter. It effectively multiplies together the value on the slider that you have input and the value coming in on the wire. So if you use modulate blending, and slide it to 120 degrees, you will get 0 degrees when the wire is deactivated, and 120 degrees when the wire passes a signal of 1. Modulate blending is fantastic, for what it's worth. If you're ever having to think hard to get the value you want into a gadget, modulate blending and/or signal manipulators do pretty much everything you want.

It does seem quite strange for them to use degrees in some places and radians in others. Radians aren't something that are taught as standard in mathematics in the UK at least. They're great, to be fair, and maths is much easier with radians than degrees, but it's hardly accessible, especially for younger creators.
It can be irritating when the output values don't match the scale stated on the gadget. Previously, when I wanted to show the revolutions per minute of a rotator, I thought it would be as easy as dividing it by 6, because you set the value in degrees per second. After a lot of trail and error, I found I had to multiply the rotator output by 9.55.

Now that you mention it, this does appear to be radians per second, but I never thought of that at the time.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I've started using keyframes a lot more for logic stuff lately. It was always a thing that I was aware was possible, but the amount of time you can save by using keyframes instead of loads of wires has only become apparent to me recently.

For instance, in my game there was quite a bit of logic that had to occur at the end of a stage. There was a splash screen that had to display, I had to toggle controller and camera gadgets, and more. All this involved using a lot of very long wires and took a while to hook up. Doing this with a keyframe was much simpler: start recording, flick all the switches that need to be toggled, and then end the recording.

For sure. Anyone making anything of any length (e.g. over a few minutes) needs to be conscious that it needs to be really high quality and constantly engaging or people will just move on. Just something for creators to get used to. Quality over quantity is important for Dreams.

Yup.

A common example I've seen has been in Dreams platformers where you get to the end of the level but you are blocked because you need to collect 12 trinkets or something. This sort of padding seems really common, and I bail out the second that i encounter it.

I get the sense that the creators are resistant to release short games, but I'd much rather play 2 minutes of great unique content, rather than stretching the content super thin over 10 minutes.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Shu stream and learned that Antoine has apparently left the Dreams team? He was so instrumental in developing the tools that I'm surprised he left... how long ago did that happen?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Shu stream and learned that Antoine has apparently left the Dreams team? He was so instrumental in developing the tools that I'm surprised he left... how long ago did that happen?
at least since July 2018 from the last tweet In response asking why they haven't seen him. he left due to personal reasons

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
at least since July 2018 from the last tweet In response asking why they haven't seen him. he left due to personal reasons

Ah, damn. Well I hope he's doing okay.

On another note, I really miss Siobhan's voiceovers from the beta. The new woman sounds slick, but Dreams isn't slick. Siobhan's accent was lovely to listen to and there was a warmth there that's missing now.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tip from the stream:

FmuMAPU.jpg

If you flatten a form until it's a shape outline, you can extrude the form, "sweep".

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Hey all, anyone have any idea why my gameplay is at 13% for this Contraption I made? It's a pretty simple Scrollable Inventory, cant think of why it's taking up so much. A little worried because I want to put it into my game and increase it at scale, and am worried it's just going to tank everything.

Thanks!

https://indreams.me/element/omNDsDcscFm

MrCow

Oct 30, 2017
f56a1a67436bf71bec1f458a63c0412d
3996a5cc6bfdbd1a6dff3a329f48b791
9ab1b38139508c9c6065698e1f5c824a

Since I haven't posted in a while .. just showing of some of my winter themed creations.
Currently I'm working on enemy behavior and look.

But most of you have probably seen my stuff on the official Dreams Discord.

Nov 2, 2018
This is a swish level the creator asked me to upload, scale of the project I'd crazy I think he wants it to be a full game

And this one is more known, but a video showing off making cut scenes/ short films:

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Small physic related question. I've noticed your puppet always slows down when on an ascending slope. I couldn't find any setting that changes that ?

Deathbystereo

Oct 29, 2017

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Hey all, anyone have any idea why my gameplay is at 13% for this Contraption I made? It's a pretty simple Scrollable Inventory, cant think of why it's taking up so much. A little worried because I want to put it into my game and increase it at scale, and am worried it's just going to tank everything.

Thanks!

https://indreams.me/element/omNDsDcscFm
I had a quick look, and the main issue is the song inside; it uses 9% gameplay. Songs can be bad for the gameplay thermometer if they use lots of instruments on the timeline.

There is a bug with your logic system as well. If you press right or left again before the next item appears, then the inventory gets stuck and doesn't display any more items. I only a had a few minutes, so I didn't find what the wireless receiver was getting info from, in the microchip responsible for item switching. By the way, for testing purposes, it's a good idea to set the Controller Sensor to Remote Controllable, so you can see the logic in action without possessing anything.

One thing I didn't understand, is why you're using a signal generator after the AND gates? I suspect that may also be less thermo friendly than most other logic gadgets, so I'd recommend not using them, unless you need to generate a waveform.

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017

Ive experienced the same thing the past few days. The Impossible Quiz would be getting 100 likes a day for around a week then suddenly 2 days ago I only had like 10 likes then today just 1 more like. Something happened defiantly.

Sidenote: If you update a dream, in dream-shaping the dream doesn't go to your most recent creation anymore which is weird.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Ive experienced the same thing the past few days. The Impossible Quiz would be getting 100 likes a day for around a week then suddenly 2 days ago I only had like 10 likes then today just 1 more like. Something happened defiantly.

Sidenote: If you update a dream, in dream-shaping the dream doesn't go to your most recent creation anymore which is weird.
Yeah, I had a similar experience after they updated the recommended section a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, the vast majority of players find new creations via that. Also, from watching streams, people generally find things via text search also, which is why any Dreams based on other IPs are far more likely to attract new players if they're not already recommended.

I am glad that they did change it, because Recommended was mainly based on likes previously; now they have other metrics to give Dreams exposure. I would just like it to update more often, because I'm still seeing the same Dreams on recommended for a few days at a time.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I had a quick look, and the main issue is the song inside; it uses 9% gameplay. Songs can be bad for the gameplay thermometer if they use lots of instruments on the timeline.

There is a bug with your logic system as well. If you press right or left again before the next item appears, then the inventory gets stuck and doesn't display any more items. I only a had a few minutes, so I didn't find what the wireless receiver was getting info from, in the microchip responsible for item switching. By the way, for testing purposes, it's a good idea to set the Controller Sensor to Remote Controllable, so you can see the logic in action without possessing anything.

One thing I didn't understand, is why you're using a signal generator after the AND gates? I suspect that may also be less thermo friendly than most other logic gadgets, so I'd recommend not using them, unless you need to generate a waveform.

Awesome, thanks!! That's a real bummer, bc I hope to include a number of songs. Wonder if theres a way to compress that somehow...

And yeah, I'm aware of the bug too. The AND gates are there bc the animation needs to finish before cycling to the next time; they make sure the controller button has been pushed AND the item is ready to be cycled, i.e. the animation has finished. So then it sends a pulse to move to the next entry in the selector. I've had trouble with getting AND gate outputs to repeatedly increment selector ports, so I wanted a pulse and bit a continuous signal.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris

Maybe they broke something and it'll be back to normal soon then, let' hope.

For now, letting little jumps in peace a little while, and i'll wait for any ambitious thing. What i'm going to do is have fun with what i did for 10 years, recreating old games in new fashion! Hopefully not just ugly 3d version of sonic, i'll try to do something creative, and i want to keep things 2d for now.
I'll have a lil surprise about one of my cult unknown snes games tonight :p Working almost all day on it.

What i'm not sure yet is, as there won't be gameplay, what form should i give it. I'd like to let the spectator move the cam a little but i didn't use the camera tools yet.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Awesome, thanks!! That's a real bummer, bc I hope to include a number of songs. Wonder if theres a way to compress that somehow...

And yeah, I'm aware of the bug too. The AND gates are there bc the animation needs to finish before cycling to the next time; they make sure the controller button has been pushed AND the item is ready to be cycled, i.e. the animation has finished. So then it sends a pulse to move to the next entry in the selector. I've had trouble with getting AND gate outputs to repeatedly increment selector ports, so I wanted a pulse and bit a continuous signal.
9% is more than most songs. Just check the thermo before adding any and you should be able to include quite a few of them.

I'll take another look later and see if I can make it simpler. If were to make this kind of system from scratch, then I'd just start with the 2 d-pad outputs -> connect them to Signal Manipulator 'pulse' -> then connect to Nodes -> finally connect to the Selector inputs.

The Nodes are important and useful in this situation. What you do is power them off while an animation is occurring, and when the animation is finished turn the Node back on so the d-pad signal can reach the Selector again.

Last edited:

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you elaborate? What is the function of this "extrude" "sweep"?

Extrude means to force out, if you imagine a pasta machine pushing out the spaghetti through small holes. I don't know why Dreams have labelled it "sweep" but if you hold the button and move the controller the form will be extruded from the shape.

Kareen talks about it from here in the youtube video

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017

For now, letting little jumps in peace a little while, and i'll wait for any ambitious thing. What i'm going to do is have fun with what i did for 10 years, recreating old games in new fashion! Hopefully not just ugly 3d version of sonic, i'll try to do something creative, and i want to keep things 2d for now.
I'll have a lil surprise about one of my cult unknown snes games tonight :p Working almost all day on it.

What i'm not sure yet is, as there won't be gameplay, what form should i give it. I'd like to let the spectator move the cam a little but i didn't use the camera tools yet.
Nice man Im opposite, I mainly focus on text based stuff but I really want to make a 3D story game but im terrible at creating 3D stuff.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's more likely that the algorithm right now just biases heavily towards new content, so once you're no longer counted as new, you just fall like a stone. The only exceptions to that rule are the really old games which have tens of thousands of likes. They obviously continue to get attention via Most Thumbed Up and seem to get featured on Recommended still.

Oct 26, 2017

HOWEVER...

Hmmm... can't find which gadget to use for modulating...

Edit: Oh, L1-clicking on the input. That was counter-intuitive...

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The length of the creations isn't the problem. It's the fact the creators don't spend enough time play testing.

There's definitely truth in that. A lot of creations could do with some polishing. To be fair, I think a lot of the time the lack of polish relates to a lack of confidence with the tools, and that should come with time. I think right now the discoverability systems don't really bias heavily enough to quality, which means the most polished projects are often buried under a lot of less polished ones.

Last edited:

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
The length of the creations isn't the problem. It's the fact the creators don't spend enough time play testing.

That's what I want to get right before I release my game to the public. Most of the things I've played are very basic, proof-of-concept type things that don't sign-post it well enough. If I release something, like a Contraption or a Dream, I want it to be labeled as WIP or polished as hell.

Polishing takes time, of course. So much time...

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
One thing I sorta wish MM would include are some community-of-practice basics for writing clean code and such. Just like, how to name your gadgets, how to structure your microchips, where to put done comments, etc. Its hard when every person does their logic slightly differently -- it would be nice to have a guideline people can point and refer back to.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Extrude means to force out, if you imagine a pasta machine pushing out the spaghetti through small holes. I don't know why Dreams have labelled it "sweep" but if you hold the button and move the controller the form will be extruded from the shape.

I'm guessing it's creating hundreds of "negative space" flat shapes? Or is actually modifying the shape being extruded?

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
So I've finally started getting somewhere with one of my ideas, I kinda didn't know where to go or what to start on but eventually just said fuck it and picked something and as I've been working it's all started to click with me and I'm just now starting to really get into the groove with all the sculpting tools.
Here are a couple recent screens from the main hub area wip and the first art pass on the main character.

Oct 26, 2017
Looking cool!

I used quite basic sculpting for my current project, but once I'm done I'll try to get a hang of better technique. I watched another Kareem stream and damnit the man knows how to Move. So many shortcuts I have no idea how to do, like picking the colour off an existing part, or cutting from a shape before you draw with it, or changing the shape blend on the fly, or even just mixing colours off the palette. Or turning a shape around in your hand before placing it.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris

So i tried to do just some art like a do usually!
I realized only game scenes can be protected from remixing.. I'm not sure why, that's strange. Music, sculpture are all forced to be remixable.

(Actually, that uniracers demo could turn into a game pretty easily, if not for some physic problems obviously...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.