• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So i'm a little frustrated with feufollet's demo exposure. It seems very few people play it and it wasn't featured by mm. I twitted Tom Dent who said "cool dud i played it" but obviously barely played it and didn't come back to it.
I'm really starting to wonder if dreams is a good place for actual games, with a game design i mean, where you have to invest a little in it.
We worked for 4-5 months on this, thought way too much about it.. there is are still many months of dev to finish it.

I don't know, if MM is not interested in helping this kind of project, maybe that's not what they want for Dreams ? I wanted to directly asked them that at PGW but they never came in Paris, after announcing they would.

(By the way i added a cut scene ending to unlock in the demo, and also a hidden level to discover.. the generosity in this demo is pretty unheard of lol)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So i'm a little frustrated with feufollet's demo exposure. It seems very few people play it and it wasn't featured by mm. I twitted Tom Dent who said "cool dud i played it" but obviously barely played it and didn't come back to it.
I'm really starting to wonder if dreams is a good place for actual games, with a game design i mean, where you have to invest a little in it.
We worked for 4-5 months on this, thought way too much about it.. there is are still many months of dev to finish it.

I don't know, if MM is not interested in helping this kind of project, maybe that's not what they want for Dreams ? I wanted to directly asked them that at PGW but they never came in Paris, after announcing they would.

(By the way i added a cut scene ending to unlock in the demo, and also a hidden level to discover.. the generosity in this demo is pretty unheard of lol)

Looking at it it's been played by over 300 people in the 10 or so days it's been up, that's not bad at all! I wouldn't worry too much about exposure at this point.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Looking at it it's been played by over 300 people in the 10 or so days it's been up, that's not bad at all! I wouldn't worry too much about exposure at this point.

Well i don't know about that lol the way dreams is going right now.. we don't even have 5 new play a day, this is already buried if it doesn't make it to the stream or the discover list.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
wip

I'm sorry it seems to be my thread now lol, not sure why everyone stopped posting about their stuff

Looking good! I'm a fan of those snappy looking jump animations.

And yeah I'm still toiling away at my project, it's just slow going since i'm making all of my assets myself (going for that FULL CREDITS tag haha) and the only help I have is my little cousin helping me with music because thats the one thing I really cant figure out lol.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That is one beautiful game!
Thx!

Looking good! I'm a fan of those snappy looking jump animations.

And yeah I'm still toiling away at my project, it's just slow going since i'm making all of my assets myself (going for that FULL CREDITS tag haha) and the only help I have is my little cousin helping me with music because thats the one thing I really cant figure out lol.
Ha that's a difficult goal, i mean i get lots of dreamverse things in the game, even if they don't show, i don't want something to look the same as somewhere else, but i used many things to get start initially. I don't really care about the credits but yeah it's mostly that i don't want anything to look generic in it.

So i guess everyone here is silent, working on huge projects secretly :p

Oct 27, 2017
That forest looks awesome. Is your thermo basically maxing out on each level?

Here's another combat test - Improved hit and death effects, smoothed out AI tracking, added a guard break mechanic, and shield throw

Planning on making this a Zelda-like game; the shield throw for example will be an upgrade you find like the boomerang, it'll let you hit flying enemies and switches at a distance etc..

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That forest looks awesome. Is your thermo basically maxing out on each level?

Here's another combat test - Improved hit and death effects, smoothed out AI tracking, added a guard break mechanic, and shield throw

Planning on making this a Zelda-like game; the shield throw for example will be an upgrade you find like the boomerang, it'll let you hit flying enemies and switches at a distance etc..

That's impressive damn, i'm impressed when i see something like that in dreams where i can't really recognize the usual cheapness of animations and stuff like that. I personally avoid those problems by having a limited gameplay, but with fights and enemies etc this is difficult.

Also i have to admit i didn't look at the thermo in that forest level but i generally keep the graphic thermo under 15% :p By cloning everything and using the right cloning method. I think most people don't know that and mm doesn't help by letting the bad cloning (which create a new object instead of an instance) by default. And for exemple when you use the shortcut with the buttons to clone, it always clone the bad way even if you checked instance cloning AND worst part is that they don't tell you.

So yeah one tree trunk model, one for the leaves, bushes are the same leave model etc.. There are probably 5 or 6 actual sculpts in the level lol

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
That's impressive damn, i'm impressed when i see something like that in dreams where i can't really recognize the usual cheapness of animations and stuff like that. I personally avoid those problems by having a limited gameplay, but with fights and enemies etc this is difficult.

Also i have to admit i didn't look at the thermo in that forest level but i generally keep the graphic thermo under 15% :p By cloning everything and using the right cloning method. I think most people don't know that and mm doesn't help by letting the bad cloning (which create a new object instead of an instance) by default. And for exemple when you use the shortcut with the buttons to clone, it always clone the bad way even if you checked instance cloning AND worst part is that they don't tell you.

So yeah one tree trunk model, one for the leaves, bushes are the same leave model etc.. There are probably 5 or 6 actual sculpts in the level lol

Oh god, please explain to me the good way to clone. I've seriously stalled out on my project because of my graphics thermo issue. I find that I can clone a massive amount and it adds very little thermo BUT when I try to tweak one of those clones it (or heaven forbid more than one)takes a massive toll on the thermo. I have a brick house I've been working on, and using different cloning methods has helped some, but it's still at like 70% thermo usage and I'm not even close to done.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Oh god, please explain to me the good way to clone. I've seriously stalled out on my project because of my graphics thermo issue. I find that I can clone a massive amount and it adds very little thermo BUT when I try to tweak one of those clones it (or heaven forbid more than one)takes a massive toll on the thermo. I have a brick house I've been working on, and using different cloning methods has helped some, but it's still at like 70% thermo usage and I'm not even close to done.

Well it's just that when you use the cloning tool (and not the shortkey) you have to use check the box on the right og the screen. Maybe you're already doing it, you still have a limit to what you can do but it takes way less ressources and that way if you change the sculpt of one of the instances they'll all change. That way it takes really little on the graphic thermo, but having tons of group of cloned objetcs will max out the game thermo from what i understood.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Well it's just that when you use the cloning tool (and not the shortkey) you have to use check the box on the right og the screen. Maybe you're already doing it, you still have a limit to what you can do but it takes way less ressources and that way if you change the sculpt of one of the instances they'll all change. That way it takes really little on the graphic thermo, but having tons of group of cloned objetcs will max out the game thermo from what i understood.

I actually forgot that there is a cloning tool and I've just been using the shortkey. I'll look into this before pulling more of my hair out.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
If you copy and change the sculpt of an object, then it becomes a whole new object for the graphics thermo. You need to find ways to reuse the same sculpts as much as possible, for example, using a six sided cube if only one side needs to be visible, and using the other sides for different surfaces. You can change anything in the tweak menu and use things like coat mode differently on copies and it'll still be classed as the same object.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
If you copy and change the sculpt of an object, then it becomes a whole new object for the graphics thermo. You need to find ways to reuse the same sculpts as much as possible, for example, using a six sided cube if only one side needs to be visible, and using the other sides for different surfaces. You can change anything in the tweak menu and use things like coat mode differently on copies and it'll still be classed as the same object.

Well, I'll tell you my specific problem and maybe you'll have a suggestion for the best practices in this case. I'm making a brick house with a sloped roof. So on one end of the house all I need to do is to stack enough bricks to make a fairly tall side of the house in a square shape. Now, of course, the sloped roof will cut into some of these bricks, so I'd need to cut them at differing angles as it slopes downward. Problem is, like you say, that this creates all new objects and that eats into the therm very quickly. So the most time/work-effective option is out the window. Every other solution I come up with is incredibly tedious to the point that I KNOW there has to be a more simple way than what I'm doing. The best solution I came up with was having 4 different kinds of bricks (a whole one and ones cut ~ 1/4, 1/2, 3/4) and placing the ones where I needed them, but like I said, the tediousness of this task led me to believe there were more elegant solutions.

Oct 27, 2017
You should be making the brick wall a single sculpted object, or have a sculpt of a large cluster of bricks that you can clone rather than actually building a wall brick by brick.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Well, I'll tell you my specific problem and maybe you'll have a suggestion for the best practices in this case. I'm making a brick house with a sloped roof. So on one end of the house all I need to do is to stack enough bricks to make a fairly tall side of the house in a square shape. Now, of course, the sloped roof will cut into some of these bricks, so I'd need to cut them at differing angles as it slopes downward. Problem is, like you say, that this creates all new objects and that eats into the therm very quickly. So the most time/work-effective option is out the window. Every other solution I come up with is incredibly tedious to the point that I KNOW there has to be a more simple way than what I'm doing. The best solution I came up with was having 4 different kinds of bricks (a whole one and ones cut ~ 1/4, 1/2, 3/4) and placing the ones where I needed them, but like I said, the tediousness of this task led me to believe there were more elegant solutions.
You should be making the brick wall a single sculpted object, or have a sculpt of a large cluster of bricks that you can clone rather than actually building a wall brick by brick.
Yeah, making large single sculpts (for same-material objects) is usually the way to go, however after a certain point, clones can be useful to trade graphics thermo for gameplay thermo. I've not really invested much time into sculpting myself, but I'd recommend asking Kimau for advice if you catch her streaming Dreams (she's an Mm dev): https://www.twitch.tv/kimau

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018

I've tried both of these methods without the best success in terms of thermo. I don't know. I guess I just need to do some more research on the matter. Thanks, though.

I've not really invested much time into sculpting myself, but I'd recommend asking Kimau for advice if you catch her streaming Dreams (she's an Mm dev): https://www.twitch.tv/kimau

I'll see if I can do that. Thanks for the tip!

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried both of these methods without the best success in terms of thermo. I don't know. I guess I just need to do some more research on the matter. Thanks, though.
At a certain point, there's not much that can be done. The thermo in Dreams just isn't sufficient for certain types of games/experiences. Hopefully PS5 will alleviate that because, even with the current limitations, Dreams is amazing. Just imagine it with 2-3 times the thermo.

Nov 2, 2018
We're a little late uploading some of the Let's plays we (Ugly Sofa Gaming) recorded for Halloween but here you go!

We've made some improvements to our sound quality and have started playing levels and recording audio at the same time for hopefully a better video any feedback is welcome and appreciated:

'The Spooky Hour' is a Halloween platformer with some fantastic scene dressing, a WIP to keep an eye on (by usedtoothbrush)

'Pumpkin-Head' is a very clever puzzle game with some fiendishly original ideas (by Brown_Savo)

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017

Just saw KFGD talk about this today! That should help get the plays up.

I do agree that it's hard to find real gems. I keep wishing they'll add granularity to the popularity filter. Right now, I believe when you pick most popular, it's "all time", which means the older popular games still are showing up as the main results. I'd like to have the option to have options such as "most popular/most played/highest rated today", "most popular/most played/highest rated in the last week", "most popular/most played/highest rated in the last month", etc. This way, newer popular creations will rise to the top.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Just saw KFGD talk about this today! That should help get the plays up.

I do agree that it's hard to find real gems. I keep wishing they'll add granularity to the popularity filter. Right now, I believe when you pick most popular, it's "all time", which means the older popular games still are showing up as the main results. I'd like to have the option to have options such as "most popular/most played/highest rated today", "most popular/most played/highest rated in the last week", "most popular/most played/highest rated in the last month", etc. This way, newer popular creations will rise to the top.

Saw that yeah! That's super sweet from Tim Getty!
As for the plays i'll see if his followers have Dreams :p

As for what you talk about, yeah Deviantart does this kind of thing and that works pretty well.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Saw that yeah! That's super sweet from Tim Getty!
As for the plays i'll see if his followers have Dreams :p

As for what you talk about, yeah Deviantart does this kind of thing and that works pretty well.

So does Steam's Workshop content. It makes finding more recent popular stuff so much easier. I tweeted my suggestion to the Media Molecule Twitter account.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris

We've (with the talented @MecRandomDreams, check out his dreams creations!) reworked the level ending infos to make it more pro AND more clear that stars = points :p
Also 2nd world music preview ;) I studied my forest music classics!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've been messing around with both unity and Dreams a bit lately, and I'm a novice with both.

One issue I'm really struggling with in Dreams though is keeping objects constrained to specific axis. In Unity, you can set the constraints of a rigid body by simply checking a box. For instance, if you wanted to make a 2D platformer platformer you select the 'constrain z' box.

In Dreams, it seems there's no easy way to achieve the same thing? I've heard people using followers to make the object immediately return back to the z position (thereby, forcing 2D movement) but this seems like quite an obtuse solution to a simple problem. I would imagine it comes at a higher physics cost too, as the object is constantly being moved back into the z axis. Is there a way to do this that I'm just not aware of?

At the moment the practice game I'm making is a simple two player ball bouncing game. Pong with some added abilities, and it's been much easier to craft in Unity, than in Dreams. One of the other issues I'm having is how would one set a movement restricted zone in Dreams? So, if you say, have paddles that move up and down, how can I say 'they can only move within this radius'. In Unity, I have access to a function that can define the minimum and maximum axis movements (Mathf.clamp) and this works without too much issue. In Dreams, I really just didn't know how to approach those types of movement constraints.

I'm an absolute novice with both platforms, but in unity I was able to learn and produce a pretty functional 3D pong game within a day, whereas within Dreams I'm still struggling. The ball occasionally bounces out of the arena because it's not constrained to the Z axis, and my paddles just clip through the arena because I'm not sure how to set a movement limit.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've been messing around with both unity and Dreams a bit lately, and I'm a novice with both.

One issue I'm really struggling with in Dreams though is keeping objects constrained to specific axis. In Unity, you can set the constraints of a rigid body by simply checking a box. For instance, if you wanted to make a 2D platformer platformer you select the 'constrain z' box.

In Dreams, it seems there's no easy way to achieve the same thing? I've heard people using followers to make the object immediately return back to the z position (thereby, forcing 2D movement) but this seems like quite an obtuse solution to a simple problem. I would imagine it comes at a higher physics cost too, as the object is constantly being moved back into the z axis. Is there a way to do this that I'm just not aware of?

At the moment the practice game I'm making is a simple two player ball bouncing game. Pong with some added abilities, and it's been much easier to craft in Unity, than in Dreams. One of the other issues I'm having is how would one set a movement restricted zone in Dreams? So, if you say, have paddles that move up and down, how can I say 'they can only move within this radius'. In Unity, I have access to a function that can define the minimum and maximum axis movements (Mathf.clamp) and this works without too much issue. In Dreams, I really just didn't know how to approach those types of movement constraints.

I'm an absolute novice with both platforms, but in unity I was able to learn and produce a pretty functional 3D pong game within a day, whereas within Dreams I'm still struggling. The ball occasionally bounces out of the arena because it's not constrained to the Z axis, and my paddles just clip through the arena because I'm not sure how to set a movement limit.
Yeah, constraining objects to an axis can be slightly cumbersome. At minimum, you would want to use an advanced mover, with 0 velocity and 100% damping in the axis you want to constrain (with 0% in the other 2). I imagine that will be sufficient most of the time.

Alternatively, using the follower method may work as extra safety net. In terms of physics cost, I remember hearing that Dreams uses 2 separate physics engines: one for moving objects and another for collisions and gravity. So I guess using the follower probably won't have a notable performance cost, although only people at Mm could really answer that with confidence.

Oct 27, 2017

Movement limits for the paddles can be done just by placing invisible blocks to stop them. Alternately you could use a triggerzone that only allows them to move as long as they're within the defined zone. As for the ball, (assuming you want it to be a free-rolling physics object) I would just try lowering the bounciness of the ball or setting it to zero.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Movement limits for the paddles can be done just by placing invisible blocks to stop them. Alternately you could use a triggerzone that only allows them to move as long as they're within the defined zone. As for the ball, (assuming you want it to be a free-rolling physics object) I would just try lowering the bounciness of the ball or setting it to zero.

Thanks for the help. I'm really not very familiar with this stuff. I dabbled with making levels in LBP but those were mostly quite straightforward platformers.

I did try using the physical walls as restrictions but because my paddles did not have flat edges they had an odd physics interaction with the wall which was pushing them around the axis. Is there an easy way to stop that happening? Or is it a case of setting up a follower so that the objects are always pulled back to their position in certain axis?

Yeah, constraining objects to an axis can be slightly cumbersome. At minimum, you would want to use an advanced mover, with 0 velocity and 100% damping in the axis you want to constrain (with 0% in the other 2). I imagine that will be sufficient most of the time.

Alternatively, using the follower method may work as extra safety net. In terms of physics cost, I remember hearing that Dreams uses 2 separate physics engines: one for moving objects and another for collisions and gravity. So I guess using the follower probably won't have a notable performance cost, although only people at Mm could really answer that with confidence.

Thanks, that makes sense. I tried out the follower method last night and it did mostly work. Only issue was that you can see some slight shuffling around of the object as it occasionally gets pulled back to position.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Question guys,

So i struggle a little with a limitation that we don't know how to avoid. How do you allow more than 2 jump ? by that i mean more than a double jump ? We have things like ciclres that allows you to jump higher or wall jump but it's impossible to have many of them after each other cause of that

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the help. I'm really not very familiar with this stuff. I dabbled with making levels in LBP but those were mostly quite straightforward platformers.

I did try using the physical walls as restrictions but because my paddles did not have flat edges they had an odd physics interaction with the wall which was pushing them around the axis. Is there an easy way to stop that happening? Or is it a case of setting up a follower so that the objects are always pulled back to their position in certain axis?

If the block method isn't working a triggerzone might be the best bet. Set a triggerzone down that defines the range of movement, have it set to detect the paddles and plug the detection output into the mover's power input (assuming you're using a mover/movers?), so when the paddle exits the zone it cuts power to the mover.

Question guys,

So i struggle a little with a limitation that we don't know how to avoid. How do you allow more than 2 jump ? by that i mean more than a double jump ? We have things like ciclres that allows you to jump higher or wall jump but it's impossible to have many of them after each other cause of that

You probably have to set up the jump mechanic with your own logic outside of the puppet framework.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Question guys,

I'm pretty sure there's a sensor on the puppet interface that detects when a character has double jumped. You could use that to power on another controller sensor and then have that controller sensor hooked up to a mover that makes the character jump a third time.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
You probably have to set up the jump mechanic with your own logic outside of the puppet framework.
I'm pretty sure there's a sensor on the puppet interface that detects when a character has double jumped. You could use that to power on another controller sensor and then have that controller sensor hooked up to a mover that makes the character jump a third time.

Thx guys!
It seemed Unmecrandom found a way but i'm not sure how. The thing is we had something that lets you do a bigger double jump in the gameand it was a stat change rather than a force applied for more control but it's sill a little difficult to do the right way all the time (maybe you experienced it :p) so we're changing that for something that works better.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Orioto I played your game last night with a group of friends and it seems fun, and it's clearly very pretty. However, we couldn't figure out the mechanic with the red pickup/collectible? The one that just kills you if you walk into it. I'm not sure if I missed an instruction or I was simply doing the wrong thing, but nothing we tried seemed to allow us to interact with the red objects dotted around the levels.

I passed the controller around the room and let other people try but we couldn't figure it out. What were we doing wrong?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Orioto I played your game last night with a group of friends and it seems fun, and it's clearly very pretty. However, we couldn't figure out the mechanic with the red pickup/collectible? The one that just kills you if you walk into it. I'm not sure if I missed an instruction or I was simply doing the wrong thing, but nothing we tried seemed to allow us to interact with the red objects dotted around the levels.

I passed the controller around the room and let other people try but we couldn't figure it out. What were we doing wrong?

Hmmm, that's an interesting problem regarding visuals and how to convey a system to the player lol! I feel i'll use that exemple with my students :p

so.. lol, there is no interactions, they are obstacles that kills you. Maybe cause they are small and floating they look like pick ups ? But clearly they are not like the orbs at least. Maybe i could add spikes to the model to make it more clear then, the sculpt may be too neutral.

Small update i posted on twitter by the way, showing the game will have more diversity. I love that dev journal aspect!

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, that's an interesting problem regarding visuals and how to convey a system to the player lol! I feel i'll use that exemple with my students :p

so.. lol, there is no interactions, they are obstacles that kills you. Maybe cause they are small and floating they look like pick ups ? But clearly they are not like the orbs at least. Maybe i could add spikes to the model to make it more clear then, the sculpt may be too neutral.

Small update i posted on twitter by the way, showing the game will have more diversity. I love that dev journal aspect!

Ah damn! That is funny, we were all certain that there had to be some sort of mechanic that allowed us to collect them. Honestly, they really do look like collectibles to me, they look similar to the other items, and when they killed us I just thought we had to do something specific before we collected them.

The folks I was trying to play the game with are all game development PhD students, some of them have spent a few years in industry too.

At one point one of us suggested that maybe you just don't collect them, but then I said but then one of us suggested that they looked very similar to the other collectibles, and they looked like they're placed in locations that the player would naturally flow through when collecting the others.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo... February, looks like it? :)

whatsappimage2019-11pyjrb.jpeg

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone ever figure out a way to make sculpts not take physics thermo? I was trying to make some underbrush at some point that was completely interactionless, so the player could walk through it etc (using sculpts not just flecks) and whenever I say, made a bush and then cloned it a bunch it would eat up my physics thermo even if I turned all physics properties like collision and gravity off

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Sooo... February, looks like it? :)

whatsappimage2019-11pyjrb.jpeg
Ho my well i guess that'll be the release date of my game to!

Ah damn! That is funny, we were all certain that there had to be some sort of mechanic that allowed us to collect them. Honestly, they really do look like collectibles to me, they look similar to the other items, and when they killed us I just thought we had to do something specific before we collected them.

The folks I was trying to play the game with are all game development PhD students, some of them have spent a few years in industry too.

At one point one of us suggested that maybe you just don't collect them, but then I said but then one of us suggested that they looked very similar to the other collectibles, and they looked like they're placed in locations that the player would naturally flow through when collecting the others.

Yeah i'm going to change it then, but it cannot be really bigger or it would be more difficult. I have to give it a look that make it more clear that it's just an obstacle that kills you

It's funny you say they're positioned to be picked :p They're positioned so they are on your trajectory so you have to avoid them :p

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
For those that use twitch. theyve just release a dreams extension

The Official Dreams Extension is a must-have for any streaming dreamers! Created by Media Molecule, this extension connects Twitch directly to the Dreams experience, allowing you to:
• Link your Dreams account with Twitch.
• Access your indreams.me profile from Twitch.
• Choose six of your favourite Dreams creations to show off on your Twitch Profile.
• Display the creation you're currently playing or editing, alongside your Twitch Stream.
• View more information on creations appearing in Twitch Streams.
• Track the amount of time you've watched individual dreams.
• Post chat links to the content you are currently playing.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty fun, this SlidEout game.

It's pretty but it doesn't deal with collisions well. I think the designer went for a really ambitious track design considering the camera and collisions are quite awkward. If the track were simpler or just less difficult, then it wouldn't highlight these issues anywhere near as prominently.

That clip makes it look a lot smoother than it is, I think. They must have taken some time to nail the line.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
It's pretty but it doesn't deal with collisions well. I think the designer went for a really ambitious track design considering the camera and collisions are quite awkward. If the track were simpler or just less difficult, then it wouldn't highlight these issues anywhere near as prominently.

That clip makes it look a lot smoother than it is, I think. They must have taken some time to nail the line.
I think the camera works well most of the times. It's mainly areas where there's a change in elevation, which can cause the camera to vibrate, especially when travelling at max speed. Collisions are probably even trickier to get right. When this level was first released, it was a lot easier to fly off the track, but the creator improved it with an update. There's still the occasional problem of getting turned in the wrong direction if you hit a wall at a bad angle.

Dreams' physics engine is fairly good, but it has to cater for every creation, so it's likely to be difficult to get it to work as well compared to proper WipEout or racing games. Still, it's not worth understating that SlidEout was made by a single person in 2-3 months.

I also managed to be beat records again this morning:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the camera works well most of the times. It's mainly areas where there's a change in elevation, which can cause the camera to vibrate, especially when travelling at max speed. Collisions are probably even trickier to get right. When this level was first released, it was a lot easier to fly off the track, but the creator improved it with an update. There's still the occasional problem of getting turned in the wrong direction if you hit a wall at a bad angle.

Dreams' physics engine is fairly good, but it has to cater for every creation, so it's likely to be difficult to get it to work as well compared to proper WipEout or racing games. Still, it's not worth understating that SlidEout was made by a single person in 2-3 months.

I also managed to be beat records again this morning:

Yeah that's fair.

If you saw my first play of that track though, it was easy to see why it wasn't a good time. Collisions have to be fun to want to get better.

Its also probably just because normally you're introduced to Wipeout tracks on Venom, whereas this jumps you into the deep end.

I like the art direction of the track, very old school Wipeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.