• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned it earlier, but I'm just stunned by the level of accuracy and beauty compared to the source material.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That doesn't sound right to me. I just hooked up a trivial experiment and, if the Slow Power Up setting is 0.0, the a free-standing keyframe (e.g. not on a timeline) instantly applies. The only way I can make that not the case is if I don't apply a full signal to the power socket. If I send a value less than 1 into the power socket, it interpolates, but if it's 1 or more, it is instant. Is it possible that the output you're getting from the impact sensor is not 0 or 1? It looks like the first value in the fat wire that comes out of the impact sensor is the 'impact' described as the force of collision. It seems to be binary for the 'touching' impact, but presumably not the others.

We're talking about the impact one ? Cause indeed they say the impact one has a force data, but the contact one should only be contact or no contact i guess... I fear i'm never going to find out how to fix that -_-

Anyway i just worked 6 hours on creating a music for the world 2. Dreams will kill your life.

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about the impact one ? Cause indeed they say the impact one has a force data, but the contact one should only be contact or no contact i guess... I fear i'm never going to find out how to fix that -_-

Anyway i just worked 6 hours on creating a music for the world 2. Dreams will kill your life.
Such is game development or any creative pursuit.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I think the most standard way to do this is to use a signal manipulator and it's 'Freeze Output' capability. I think some of the 'Local Variable' contraptions in the Dreamiverse deal with fat wires in this way, pretty sure one does.
Thanks a lot! Will give it a try.

So many cool stuff going on in the dreamiverse atm. I'm a bit sad to not have had any serious amount of time to put on Dreams this past week :(

Last edited by a moderator:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

379437222069534721.png

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I finally had time to open my beta project and my robot's neck and head just roll around freely now. They were unattached in the bone chart so I re-linked them, but still don't stand straight. I was hoping they would've overhauled the bone tools, but it seems just as prone to break as in the beta.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Published the 2-1 of Little Jumps. You can say there was lots of R&D for this :p The level in itself is not amazing but lots of thought and work in the world design.

Now i couldn't fix the super jumper platform problem so i'll see what i do with that.. Cause this is stupid that in a speedrun type game you have to wait to jump on a platform without any reason nor feedback to warn you..

If some of you try the level, feedback is appreciated.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm this is really confusing when things seems to be random problems rather than things you can fix..

Soi have that platform that lets you jumps higher ok. The way i did it is simple. Collision detection on the platform, linked to a keyframe that changes the puppet jump high setting.

So why, why in god's heaven would there be this weird thing where my 6 meters jump works when i'm waiting like 1 seconds on the platform, but if i jump directly when i land on it, it's half a jump or something.. The keyframe is not progressive, it doesn't have a slow start or anything..

Need to make use of some debugging methods, my dude.

Chuck some number displayer gadgets on your trigger outputs, and then enter the trigger zone with your character whilst you are in test mode to see what is happening. I believe the trigger gadget should just be outputting 1 so long as you are in the trigger zone. If it's getting that output then you know the problem lies elsewhere.

In test mode you can also just keep the tweak menu from the puppet gadget open, so you can see what's happening to the jump value in real time.

One thing I always check when something is broken is the wire-mode. A few times I've accidentally pressed L1 + X on the little input tab of a tweak menu, which changes the wire mode and causes weird behavior.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to turn off running? I tried to reduce running speed to same as walking but it messed up the animation.

EDIT: Setting the run speed to 0 does it!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying the logic to playability aspect, really thought I'd be primarily focused on art but after building a controllable character from scratch (just to learn how logic works) and then adapting the basic character to do more advanced movements as well as making camera rigs I'm really enjoying this aspect.

I was thinking of creating a universal edge grace system attached to a character. I'm compleatly new to logic so trying to figure out a method to get this working but currently supposed to be working so can't access Dreams. My initial thoughts were to use a laser pointer logic thing and have it positioned just bellow the feet, then set to activate when it doesn't detect a scenery tag, which then calls in a collidable but invisible platform which disappears after 0.2 seconds then resets when it touches a scenery tagged object. Anyone see any obvious problems with this?

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the logic to playability aspect, really thought I'd be primarily focused on art but after building a controllable character from scratch (just to learn how logic works) and then adapting the basic character to do more advanced movements as well as making camera rigs I'm really enjoying this aspect.

I was thinking of creating a universal edge grace system attached to a character. I'm compleatly new to logic so trying to figure out a method to get this working but currently supposed to be working so can't access Dreams. My initial thoughts were to use a laser pointer logic thing and have it positioned just bellow the feet, then set to activate when it doesn't detect a scenery tag, which then calls in a collidable but invisible platform which disappears after 0.2 seconds then resets when it touches a scenery tagged object. Anyone see any obvious problems with this?
You probably don't even need the invisible object. Use the laser pointer to detect a ledge and then disable forward movement in the puppet logic gadget. I'm sure there would be more to it, but it would save you having to place a bunch of invisible blocks.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow

I think you could get the same result by changing the puppet settings to ignore gravity briefly rather than spawning a platform.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What this game needs is a Warioware / Mario Party type gamemode where it just funnels in community-curated 2 to 4-player games and delivers them to you in rapid succession while keeping an overall score throughout. There's so many totally unique short games in this thing, it's perfect.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
What this game needs is a Warioware / Mario Party type gamemode where it just funnels in community-curated 2 to 4-player games and delivers them to you in rapid succession while keeping an overall score throughout. There's so many totally unique short games in this thing, it's perfect.
I think an easier solution would be player curated playlists. They could work the same as collections, but let you sequence the levels.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I think an easier solution would be player curated playlists. They could work the same as collections, but let you sequence the levels.

I think you can effectively do this right now. You can put Dreams inside Dreams, at least with your own Dreams. Not sure if you can do it with others' Dreams, that would have some odd implications.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Thanks! I composed the music in the downtime between the beta and early access which means I had to transcribe it note for note into Dreams. That was a pain in the ass, but I'm glad people are liking it
Yeah, you can be proud. There is a whole market for such great music. Just look at the boomkat website.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You probably don't even need the invisible object. Use the laser pointer to detect a ledge and then disable forward movement in the puppet logic gadget. I'm sure there would be more to it, but it would save you having to place a bunch of invisible blocks.

My bad I should have been a bit clearer it would be to give players more room for error when making a jump and a little room for error with tighter platforming so overall it just feels nicer rather than a boundary.

I think you could get the same result by changing the puppet settings to ignore gravity briefly rather than spawning a platform.

Yeah looking into it I don't need the platform. I will give your method a go, will also need to add something so jump still works for a few frames but that should be quite straight forward.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
edit: ignore, misread the conversation

... I guess I should say something here now...

I should get Galactic Geometry 1.05 out this evening. Main new feature is a new enemy type, comfortably the most complex of the enemies that I'll have to do, but made a ton of progress yesterday. I've ended up getting sidetracked quite a bit really, both with Galactic Geometry and outside of it. Had another crack at making efficient trigonometry functions and managed to improve them further still, down to ~0.06% gameplay thermometer per sine. With Galactic Geometry I've fully rebuilt the walls, gridlines and starfield background, and I've redesigned the camera too which enables a delicious parallax effect. Getting 1.05 finished off feels like the last real hurdle, and I'm no longer really concerned about the feasibility of anything I want to do, which is great.

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
So, I am really struggling with getting cutscenes to be a thing (Just bought the game two days ago and fucking LOVE IT!). I created a timeline, having the animations already set through key points on the character and have multiple cameras positioned for me to move. So, I used the recording of animation tool and grab the camera to start moving it for the first scene, end the recording, create a new key and grab the second camera for the next angle and it records just fine. My issue is that even though they are next to each other on the timeline, my camera angle during Play Mode won't transition to the next camera. The first camera ends its movement and just stays there while everything else continues to move. I know I am missing something, but could anyone elaborate on it for me? Or, are there any good videos for this kind of work?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Are you just trying to move between two camera positions, with each camera pointing in different directions? If so you don't need keyframes - drag the cameras directly onto the timeline. You can then just do L1+X to jump into a camera and aim where you want.

For transitions you put them both on the same line in the timeline and do L1+X in the gap between to get a transition which you can change between linear or other types. Also tweak the second camera (the camera you'll move *to*) and you can adjust how long it takes to switch to that one.

try this youtuber https://www.youtube.com/user/julianmarshall153/videos - videos 8 and 23 cover timelines and cameras respectively. they're all fairly short but nicely explained

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear game creators. Please take a moment before you publish your game and watch a tutorial video at a comfortable volume. Now, go back and try your game. If you have to touch the volume controls, your game is too loud. I've lost count of the # of dreams I exit 3s in because it's blowing my ears off.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Need to make use of some debugging methods, my dude.

Chuck some number displayer gadgets on your trigger outputs, and then enter the trigger zone with your character whilst you are in test mode to see what is happening. I believe the trigger gadget should just be outputting 1 so long as you are in the trigger zone. If it's getting that output then you know the problem lies elsewhere.

In test mode you can also just keep the tweak menu from the puppet gadget open, so you can see what's happening to the jump value in real time.

One thing I always check when something is broken is the wire-mode. A few times I've accidentally pressed L1 + X on the little input tab of a tweak menu, which changes the wire mode and causes weird behavior.

Thx! Well i tried to see what's happening. But it's even stranger now.

So..

ProblemDreams01.jpg

He what you can see. I'm on the platform. Initially the contact wire triggers the keyframe. The problem is, see the 1,0 s part ? It's normally 2,s. It's the slow start. I can't deactivate it!! When i go on it with the cursor, it says 0,0s, but when i leave it it goes back to 2,0s. Now what i did here, i had to idea to wire the same contact detection to that setting, so that it shuts it down. But see, it puts it to 1,0s... What the fuck.. I'm missing something here.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone know of a method to trigger a function when velocity hits a certain value along the minus of a specific axis?

Jan 15, 2019
SlurmMacKenzie has a new creation out. Just started it is already the most ambitious one yet.

https://indreams.me/dream/mDaqznumYyN#

It's amazing! Takes about 20-30 minutes to complete and seems to set up something big.

Thanks for posting about it! Glad you like it. To be perfectly honest I'm not setting up anything, Its ending is open but I'm not planing on working on a sequel right now. As I often say I like to experiment and try new ideas. It doesn't mean I won't do a sequel but it doesn't mean i will :)

SlurmMacKenzie released their new game today, Castaway:

https://indreams.me/dream/mDaqznumYyN

They've also just published a Reddit post talking about the game, presumably best read after playing and beating Castaway. Haven't started it yet because it's apparently 20+ minutes long! God. I have a Dreams backlog.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Dreams/...way_a_short_postmortem_about_my_latest_dream/

It's quite a long dream, but most of your progress is saved if you exit the dream so you may do it in multiple sessions. And thanks for posting about the reddit post, I will try to do it more often because it put tings in perspective and made me think about my creation process.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
edit: ignore, misread the conversation

... I guess I should say something here now...

I should get Galactic Geometry 1.05 out this evening. Main new feature is a new enemy type, comfortably the most complex of the enemies that I'll have to do, but made a ton of progress yesterday. I've ended up getting sidetracked quite a bit really, both with Galactic Geometry and outside of it. Had another crack at making efficient trigonometry functions and managed to improve them further still, down to ~0.06% gameplay thermometer per sine. With Galactic Geometry I've fully rebuilt the walls, gridlines and starfield background, and I've redesigned the camera too which enables a delicious parallax effect. Getting 1.05 finished off feels like the last real hurdle, and I'm no longer really concerned about the feasibility of anything I want to do, which is great.

Are you trenchbucket? None of your creations are showing up as remixable - I think the globe + recycle icon should mean its remixable? Eg cheap tangent, camera pan examples

Edit: just found a working clock which has characters come in and change the digits. Very relaxing and a really nice idea

Last edited:

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Some of the talent in this game is amazing... and it's only been what? One month?

One month of the Early Access yes, however there were already tons of stuff done from Beta time. But the newer works really keeps me impressing more and more... Just played Castaway yesterday, absolutely fantastic, can't wait for the next chapters (there must be others, right????).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Are you trenchbucket? None of your creations are showing up as remixable - I think the globe + recycle icon should mean its remixable? Eg cheap tangent, camera pan examples

Yeah, 'tis I. You're not the first to say this... I don't really know what to try. They all show as remixable for me, and clearly in some cases people have been able to remix and view the logic...

Oct 26, 2017
Only had a bit of time today but I crafted two types of bushes and rigged up some sound for them. I'm having some trouble with the cone shaped one, as my ball happily rolls up the side of it. I think I will need to set a cube collision box as it's intended to be an obstacle.

One problem I'm having is that, again, since my camera is far away and zoomed in for the isometric look, all fleck effects are at low resolution which makes the fancy models look really grainy. Is there a way to conserve the fleck look regardless of distance or is that a performance limitation?

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
After spending more time with Dreams and making a lot of cool stuff, this is easily my GOTY.

However, if there is something that MM needs to add to the tool set... its UI tools.

The way UI is done right now feels very hacky to me. For starters, if you are trying to do anything other than text in your UI, you are in for a world of hurt. You have access to a limited set of Emojis which can be useful or a set of Dreams specific icons.. but that only gets you so far.

If you want to take a custom sculpt or painting and use it for a part of your UI, you have to do way more logic work than its worth. This seems like something that could easily be fixed via a new gadget or two. I really hope they plan on fleshing that out more before release. Give us a text displayer that accepts sculpts or painted images and we will be good to go.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Only had a bit of time today but I crafted two types of bushes and rigged up some sound for them. I'm having some trouble with the cone shaped one, as my ball happily rolls up the side of it. I think I will need to set a cube collision box as it's intended to be an obstacle.

One problem I'm having is that, again, since my camera is far away and zoomed in for the isometric look, all fleck effects are at low resolution which makes the fancy models look really grainy. Is there a way to conserve the fleck look regardless of distance or is that a performance limitation?

I'd like to know this too. I was experimenting with flecks to get a woolly effect but when I placed the object in the scene the flecks went to shit like some horribly aggressive LOD kicking in. Couldn't get a good way to hold the detail but using the 'reduce detail' tool to increase detail to the max helped a little bit

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
After spending more time with Dreams and making a lot of cool stuff, this is easily my GOTY.

However, if there is something that MM needs to add to the tool set... its UI tools.

The way UI is done right now feels very hacky to me. For starters, if you are trying to do anything other than text in your UI, you are in for a world of hurt. You have access to a limited set of Emojis which can be useful or a set of Dreams specific icons.. but that only gets you so far.

If you want to take a custom sculpt or painting and use it for a part of your UI, you have to do way more logic work than its worth. This seems like something that could easily be fixed via a new gadget or two. I really hope they plan on fleshing that out more before release. Give us a text displayer that accepts sculpts or painted images and we will be good to go.

Agreed; please add your feedback to https://feedback.indreams.me/ so MM can consider it.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Thx! Well i tried to see what's happening. But it's even stranger now.

So..

ProblemDreams01.jpg

He what you can see. I'm on the platform. Initially the contact wire triggers the keyframe. The problem is, see the 1,0 s part ? It's normally 2,s. It's the slow start. I can't deactivate it!! When i go on it with the cursor, it says 0,0s, but when i leave it it goes back to 2,0s. Now what i did here, i had to idea to wire the same contact detection to that setting, so that it shuts it down. But see, it puts it to 1,0s... What the fuck.. I'm missing something here.
Yeah it looks like you have accidentally set the wire mode off of the default. Hover over the input tab of the keyframe gadget and it will explain the wire mode you are in. The default wire mode is modulate, and you press L1 + X to change it. It looks like you have the wire mode set to the one that just accepts the raw output of the wire (can't remember what it's called), hence why it is outputting precisely 1.

I've previously complained that wire modes are never explained, and that the UI effect is way too subtle, and this is why :p

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yeah it looks like you have accidentally set the wire mode off of the default. Hover over the input tab of the keyframe gadget and it will explain the wire mode you are in. The default wire mode is modulate, and you press L1 + X to change it. It looks like you have the wire mode set to the one that just accepts the raw output of the wire (can't remember what it's called), hence why it is outputting precisely 1.

I've previously complained that wire modes are never explained, and that the UI effect is way too subtle, and this is why :p

Hmmm ok heu i didn't know that was a thing. Not sure that can explain my problem but i'm going to try playing with that i guess. Thx!

Update: Hum so i fixed it... So i played with the wire mode but it didn't help me. But indeed it seemed like the default value was for some reason changed and i couldn't reverted it.. But you know what.. (beware this is silly) i just deleted that keyframe and redid a fresh one and it doesn't have the problem -_- That's a big problem solved!

Another little question. I always struggle to make something rotate around something else. Why can't we change the origin of the rotation with the rotator gadget associated to an object ? For my rotating obstacles in world 1 i had to create a mess with some invisible origin object with a group to rotate like i wanted. Is there a simpler way to do that ?

Last edited:

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
was the stuff regarding using "rotate" instead of "move" when animating characters not covered in the tutorial? i feel like its a pretty big deal to not mention that, since the animations wont even work properly if you dont use "rotate"

ive been spending so much time redoing animations on any of the puppets i like... until i inevitably give up out of frustration anyway. something being messed up on one animation timeline for an attack will have ramifications that apply to animations in the other timelines. i wonder if "move" is doing what it's intended to do or if it's bugged

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Do u guys think its possible to make a game like EcoChrome?

That game seems to require a lot of complicated perception logic

Also I want a pixeljunk monsters game.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
was the stuff regarding using "rotate" instead of "move" when animating characters not covered in the tutorial? i feel like its a pretty big deal to not mention that, since the animations wont even work properly if you dont use "rotate"

ive been spending so much time redoing animations on any of the puppets i like... until i inevitably give up out of frustration anyway. something being messed up on one animation timeline for an attack will have ramifications that apply to animations in the other timelines. i wonder if "move" is doing what it's intended to do or if it's bugged
There should be a scale for limb movement range. Sometimes those flurry animations come from when limb gets moved out of the range of movement, and if your movement is somewhere that moves a lot of parts like the hips it can get tricky. Sometimes toggling a key framed piece to not return to space or whatever that button is helps as well.

Still amazed at some people's attack animations. Haven't made a good feeling one yet. I can make puppets dance and jump run and gesture with ease but not attack. It's all slow and clumsy.

Anyone know how to make the turn radius lower on keyframed objects? Puppets either need a wide turn radius or end up with this extra straight away. But its just wrong when you try to play your path into the curve or the straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.