• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I blame it on Media Molecule. Don't know why hey didn't make nicer looking and feeling movement animations.

The animation on the default puppet is a bit wonky because it is done using procedural animation. They used procedural animation so that you can create a new character and have it walk around without requiring you to create entirely new custom animations.

Procedural animation is not capable of generating really strong animations on its own, because if that were the case then a lot of animators would be out of a job.

If you need something to animate nice then you just have to keyframe it yourself. The default animation is plenty good enough for a huge range of use cases in an amateur-friendly toolkit like this.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody here used prize bubbles? I'm wondering how they work. Could I put an asset in a prize bubble and have that be the only way you can get that asset to use in your own levels? Or would the asset already have to be remixable and public?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I think this is the clunkiest thing about the game right now. A lot of the dreams you encounter when surfing are very impressive except for the weird puppet walking physics. Hopefully more customized platformer-characters become the norm going forward.

Given the still very limited time this has been available I have to assume this is mainly down to people wanting to get the bulk of gameplay etc working rather than spend huge numbers of hours fine tuning one specific element

I don't disagree that a lot of characters are clearly reskinned puppets, but without those puppets we wouldn't even have what we have so far

Sprout and shadow (both by molecules) show promise. I hope Mm can release a more 'platformy' Puppet with more direct animations

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
So intrigued by this game, not interested to be a creator but still interested for the playing about with other peoples games and stuff, everything I have seen so far looks fun.

I could be an ideas man, that is I could probably feed ideas to creators who are not sure what to make next, hope somewhere there will be a thread or site of creators who are stumped what to create next & whilst I won't know how to create, I could give off suggestions which they could potentially take bits from.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This thread from Alex is well worth a read, outlines how dreams' audio parts came into being and how they were integrated.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I blame it on Media Molecule. Don't know why hey didn't make nicer looking and feeling movement animations.

Probably because making great animations for an arbitrary skeleton is ridiculously difficult. Procedural animations gives an acceptable level of quality, but the systems are in place for people to fully animate things themselves, and that's clearly the intended path for high end creators. Animation is definitely the area of the game which is taking people longest to crack, but that isn't that surprising, people are getting there. MM have also hinted at forthcoming improvements for animation, so it's not a closed book anyway.

Jan 15, 2019
Finished Castaway by SlurmsMackenzie last night.

It's kind of hard to talk about it without spoiling what makes it good, but suffice to say it was super well done, and everyone ought to check it out.

Thanks! I hope the exploration part is not too boring, but I also hope that in the end it's worth it. I'm a bit sad to see that less than 45% of players saw the ending scene. That's why there are no puzzle during the exploration, I wanted as many players as possible to see all of the dream.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I hope the exploration part is not to boring, but I also hope that in the end it's worth it. I'm a bit sad to see that less than 45% of players saw the ending scene. That's why there are no puzzle during the exploration, I wanted as many players as possible to see all of the dream.

To be honest, I think that's a pretty great statistic. Two weeks of play time already and 75% likes per unique user. Those are incredible stats too.

Getting that many people to devote twenty minutes to anything is challenging. One has to remember that games in Dreams aren't like games elsewhere. Dream Surfing is, as MM have suggested, a bit like YouTube for games. When games are free and there's a practically endless supply, keeping people engaged for anything more than a few minutes is a serious feat. For what it's worth, while I think there's something appealing about the purity of Castaway as an exploration game, I think you'll lose as many players for it having few mechanics as you would because additional mechanics are too challenging. I guess that's why some games offer 'no difficulty' or 'story' difficulty settings, so you can have the cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
To be honest, I think that's a pretty great statistic. Two weeks of play time already and 75% likes per unique user. Those are incredible stats too.

Getting that many people to devote twenty minutes to anything is challenging. One has to remember that games in Dreams aren't like games elsewhere. Dream Surfing is, as MM have suggested, a bit like YouTube for games. When games are free and there's a practically endless supply, keeping people engaged for anything more than a few minutes is a serious feat. For what it's worth, while I think there's something appealing about the purity of Castaway as an exploration game, I think you'll lose as many players for it having few mechanics as you would because additional mechanics are too challenging. I guess that's why some games offer 'no difficulty' or 'story' difficulty settings, so you can have the cake and eat it too.

I'm a little worried about that actually yeah, the youtube aspect of Dreams. I'm thinking right now, is this a good thing i invest a ton of time in many worlds for my game if probably 2% of players wil go to even the world 3. Maybe games with too much contents are not ideal for Dreams, but i don't know really. And especialyl when the game is hard and you have levels locked like a traditional game, that's a guarantee few people will play the later ones.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to breakdown how certain MM elements are functioning?

For a temporary solution I wanted to throw on the footstep sounds into a wall run just to give me more context so I pulled the sound file for steps from the basic character and linked it up to my trigger, this resulted in a knocking like sound from playing that speeds up or down dependent upon momentum so it's only playing one of the files rather than the range (for now this does the job but not for when adding polish). Looking at how the original was set up it's connected to separate foot impacts yet I can't see how this is actually linking up in the sound package, just that the two wires go to the power so I can't figure out how I would create something similar but to my requirements.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just found an Advanced Logic collection by Chdonga. Maaaaan, I'm so tempted to restart the character I'm working for a more efficient (and way less messy) coding.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I hope the exploration part is not too boring, but I also hope that in the end it's worth it. I'm a bit sad to see that less than 45% of players saw the ending scene. That's why there are no puzzle during the exploration, I wanted as many players as possible to see all of the dream.

Oh hey, you're on here. Didn't you do the neon-looking platformer where you control time to move the ledges too? That was very smart. Nice work.

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to breakdown how certain MM elements are functioning?

For a temporary solution I wanted to throw on the footstep sounds into a wall run just to give me more context so I pulled the sound file for steps from the basic character and linked it up to my trigger, this resulted in a knocking like sound from playing that speeds up or down dependent upon momentum so it's only playing one of the files rather than the range (for now this does the job but not for when adding polish). Looking at how the original was set up it's connected to separate foot impacts yet I can't see how this is actually linking up in the sound package, just that the two wires go to the power so I can't figure out how I would create something similar but to my requirements.
That might be related to the wire input blend mode that was mentioned earlier in the thread. L1 + X on a input tab will change how the inputs are handled.

Jun 26, 2018

A bit of feedback if you're interested, I dropped it after getting frustrated with platforming on the ruins section trying to get to the non-obvious thing that I needed to activate.

Trying to figure out how to reach it, jumping, missing and then respawning on the ground floor got to me after about 3 attempts.

Jan 15, 2019
A bit of feedback if you're interested, I dropped it after getting frustrated with platforming on the ruins section trying to get to the non-obvious thing that I needed to activate.

Trying to figure out how to reach it, jumping, missing and then respawning on the ground floor got to me after about 3 attempts.

Thanks for the feedback. In theory, no platforming is required to activate any of the stones, but I can see why this one is confusing. I think it's fixed in the current version : it's more visible and there are 2 ways to get to it. But to make it sure, we are talking about the stone on the green "temple", the one that is on the side of the temple almost above the respawn point? Again, thanks a lot for the feedback, it helps a lot to narrow down issues :)

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks for the feedback. In theory, no platforming is required to activate any of the stones, but I can see why this one is confusing. I think it's fixed in the current version : it's more visible and there are 2 ways to get to it. But to make it sure, we are talking about the stone on the green "temple", the one that is on the side of the temple almost above the respawn point? Again, thanks a lot for the feedback, it helps a lot to narrow down issues :)

Yeah, that's the one :) I'll check out your dream again

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
How can you tell whether a Creation Jam is asking for a scene or elements? I just remember people saying in the Spring jam that it was only elements allowed, but I didn't see where it was specified for the Pirate one.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
How can you tell whether a Creation Jam is asking for a scene or elements? I just remember people saying in the Spring jam that it was only elements allowed, but I didn't see where it was specified for the Pirate one.
it was confusing but it said "Spring Element - Element". but they mention element in the rules thingy.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Media Molecule tends to highlight only visually appealing and "safe" Dreams, which is great of course, but I wish once in a while they'd venture into the weird, ugly side of Dreams (while still being relatively safe). Do it, you cowards!

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm so on the fence here! I love everything about this on a theoretical level. It's just such a wonderful project, brimming with possibilities and ideas! But I also fear I'm neither creative nor patient enough to sit down, learn everything and create my own worlds.

I've been thinking of buying it and try to create some sort of magical garden - I think I might take the plunge for the sheer lovelyness of it all.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Media Molecule tends to highlight only visually appealing and "safe" Dreams, which is great of course, but I wish once in a while they'd venture into the weird, ugly side of Dreams (while still being relatively safe). Do it, you cowards!
They've already shown off Haus of Bevis. That's certainly on the risqué side of things, in the name of art.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay. So has every jam only been asking for visual art elements so far? I'd hope to see different jams asking for stuff in all categories - logic jam, music jam, etc.
most were scenes. but people did whatever most of the time but stick to theme.

youd have to @ them on twitter. they get suggestions from the community. because as time goes on theres going to be way more stuff and it'll just be harder to find unless they only stick to new recent stuff that gets published.

May 18, 2018
Yep, managed to find them all now :)

The music video was: Feed your head - https://indreams.me/dream/mstfRMYzeJv

The cool puzzle game was: Inheritance - https://indreams.me/dream/mBkiFypCrnJ

Destructible house pieces - https://indreams.me/element/obfcxCDcjMh

Splitscreen Spar - https://indreams.me/dream/mUMwBAKDkFU

Thanks very much.

Is there a way to search for these within the Dreams game or do I need to sign in via my ps4 browser @ in dreams.me ?

I don't understand.

Jun 26, 2018
Jun 26, 2018
No, I'll give that a try. Worse comes to worst I was just going to have two identical objects with different colors and have the trigger turn one off an the other on.

You should be able to change a color in a multitude of ways, keyframes being one of the easier ways, however just taking a signal from a trigger zone and wiring it directly into the color input might not cut it since it needs a combined value for Red, Green, and Blue, but the trigger zone only outputs a 0 or 1.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
i have to contact a moderator. but also the first 2 could be removed or should they be changed. i feel like i need to word it better

Perhaps

1) Only used DS4
2) Only used Move
3) Used both, prefer DS4
4) Used both, prefer Move
5) Used both, like them equally (or something like "Used both, like each for different purposes")

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
And another hour or so for sculpting a few more things. I'm a little worried by the art thermo, I'm at 48% now and there's a ton of assets I haven't gotten around to yet, not to mention stamping down about 400% more rooms. But I guess I could refine the original assets. I just drew a really complex hand sculpture just to get that striking glowing pointer image.

Which makes me wonder... if I simplify one copy of a given asset, do all of them get the same refinement? Otherwise it would be a bit misleading since every simplified version would instead make for another unique object, taking up more space.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Omg... please tell me there is a way to change these ass-backwards camera controls for the Moves. Everything is inverted and hitting the invert toggle in the options doesn't change them. This is really frustrating. Up should be up. Right should be right. lol you inverted freaks are a gaming plague I thought we'd beaten into submission, scattered to the far corners of sub-menus... ugh but here you are in your full grotesqueness right on the default scheme. This is blasphemous.

Seriously though... wtf how do I change this? Grabbing stuff and rotating the object is normal, but rotating the camera around the object is backwards and offensive.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
You're
Omg... please tell me there is a way to change these ass-backwards camera controls for the Moves. Everything is inverted and hitting the invert toggle in the options doesn't change them. This is really frustrating. Up should be up. Right should be right. lol you inverted freaks are a gaming plague I thought we'd beaten into submission, scattered to the far corners of sub-menus... ugh but here you are in your full grotesqueness right on the default scheme. This is blasphemous.

Seriously though... wtf how do I change this? Grabbing stuff and rotating the object is normal, but rotating the camera around the object is backwards and offensive.
You're not moving the camera. You're moving the scene. Give it a bit, you'll figure it out.
You don't have a choice in fact.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Has anybody here used prize bubbles? I'm wondering how they work. Could I put an asset in a prize bubble and have that be the only way you can get that asset to use in your own levels? Or would the asset already have to be remixable and public?
The asset shouldn't be public / remixable. And yes it's all about making items that you can only get as a prize for doing something in your game.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is there a planned bundle ps4 + dreams?

i'm seriously pondering about getting one just for the game.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Anyone have a list going of games that aren't in progress and feel "complete"? (takes more than a couple hours to finish, multiple levels, etc)? Something like Marbelous, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.